How to mix two separate vocal and Mridangam into one video?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
HarishankarK

How to mix two separate vocal and Mridangam into one video?

Post by HarishankarK »

Namastey
Recently I have seen in YouTube videos and Facebook videos that during lockdown covid time - vocal and Mridangam performing separately in their home and then merge neatly into one video

Can anyone share some input about this technology? Hope it’s not a rocket science or anything very expensive venture?

Any tips on how to achieve this will be highly appreciated!

Thank you kindly
Harish

Sachi_R

Re: How to mix two separate vocal and Mridangam into one video?

Post by Sachi_R »

Harishankar,
You can record each track and digitize into Audacity (Windows/Mac) and Garageband (Mac).

You will see each track in stereo stream one below the other.

Each track can be manipulated and enhanced.

The merge function is the final step.

The different artistes record at once or separately, all guided by a metronome sound for timing. That sound is not heard in the tracks.

It is typical that the lead vocal or instrument is first recorded with due gaps for improvisation by others. They then listen to this track and play/sing.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Audacity... Linux too, even!

There are also more complex DAWs --- Digital Audio Workstations.

It's relatively easy to cover the audio. The video is so much tougher. And so hugely time consuming. I really did not enjoy any of my attempts to do anything with video, so didn't get far with it. I have no idea how to do three artists in different "windows" on the screen. But we have seen this sort of thing "home-made" during lockdown, so it can't be superhuman or super-expensive!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I heard from Madrasana that they cracked it well. Audio and video multi pass and then prepare a composite multiwindow video for upload. One can do it reasonably well on an amateur basis..
The audio comes well easily...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Arun Prakash was so distraught in his Lec Dem, when he recalled one such recording studio person, who was going to cover the big gaps , silences with copy paste of nadais from elsewhere. Arun , apparently made it a point to ask him not to do that :lol: