Krithis with nadai change

Tālam & Layam related topics
sbala

Post by sbala »

I was listening to Charulatha Mani's Kaa Vaa Va in Varali in AIR and I think she rendered the last sangathi as a trisram. Are there other Krithis where nadai change is made part of a pallavi?

mohan

Post by mohan »

A few artistes sing the second half of the pallavi in Kaa Vaa Va with nadai variations but I don't think this is actually part of the original composition.

Idathu padam thooku (Khamas) changes from Chatusram to Tisram in the Charanam.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

In the kedaram piece of patnam sub. Iyer,'Samayamide', the charanam has an interesting tisram line- paramabhaktakotlukella etc.. this is a tisram within a rupaka talam song !
Last edited by keerthi on 25 Oct 2008, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

There was a piece that Ravikiran performed here in LA a few years ago.. Neeradha Samaneela Krishna (Jayanthashri, written by Oothakadu), that song was set to 2 gathis, tisram in the pallavi and anupallavi, and kandam in the charanam.

Rohith

Re: Krithis with nadai change

Post by Rohith »

There is a krithi of swathi thirumala in rupaka talam and reethigowla ragam.-paripalayamam
The charanam "thamarasayasa" is in thisram.
I think there is a youtube recording of mvk who renders a ragamalika in 5 gathis.

Rohith

Post by Rohith »

Rohith wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 17:32 There is a krithi of swathi thirumala in rupaka talam and reethigowla ragam.-paripalayamam
I think there is a youtube recording of mbk who renders a ragamalika in 5 gathis.

Rohith

Post by Rohith »

Rohith wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 17:32 There is a krithi of swathi thirunal in rupaka talam and reethigowla ragam.-paripalayamam
I think there is a youtube recording of mbk who renders a ragamalika in 5 gathis.

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

In this link from the website dedicated to Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi there are some examples from his repertoire . However they call the subdivsion Gati instead of Nadai .

http://www.venkatakavi.org/ovk/index.php/gati-bhedam

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

gati is sanskrit. naDai is tamil.

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

Yes , I know .

For some carnatic musicians it has the same meaning , like for example as UKS says in his Mridangam learner DVD .

Then other musicians prefer to use Gati for subdivision ( Khanda Gati etc ) and Nadai when it is superimposed like in Chatushra Tishram . ( 16 instead of 12 matras , or 16 matras over 3 aksharas ) . Then there is some overlapping between Nadai and Nadai Bhedam , where different musicians differentiate between the pure frame and then phrasing around this superimposed frame .
( I shall post a Konnakol video with very clear Nadai bhedam in the next minutes ) .