Elements of a Thani Avarthanam

Tālam & Layam related topics
Christian Kenit Ram

Elements of a Thani Avarthanam

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hIAK8XGIT4

" Using an example thani avarthanam by their guru Vidwan Melakkaveri Sri K. Balaji, Sanjeev and Keerthi cover rhythmic concepts such as sarvalaghu, abhiprayam, korvai, nadai, faran, and mohara. " ( add. : Aasu is also briefly mentioned )

It features 2 examples of Abhiprayams . If these patterns had been repeated 3 times , it could have been a Korvai it seems to me , but maybe I´m wrong .

thanjavooran

Re: Elements of a Thani Avarthanam

Post by thanjavooran »

Very pleasing to listen. Though I have no knowledge on thalam technique enjoyed.
Thanks for the link.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
28 11 2018

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Great effort. Really like the captioning which can add so much to the enjoyment of the proceedings.

Wondering if this can be done with the normal webcast videos of Parivadini.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjeev Raja and Keerthi Venkataramani
Crisp and very informative.Also very thoughtful for you to keep the camera so that we can kind of view both left and right at the same time. two quick suggestions

1. I suggest next time if you have time just also demystify when both pakkavadyam and upapakkavadhyam do the tani, at which point the interchange starts and ends between pakkavadhyam and upapakkavadhyam.

2. Also if possible keep an additional camera for toppi side at times connecting both visually and concurrently will help us to understand the aural tani better

Keep up your great show brindavani - with your accent it is clear that sanjeev and keerthi are not based out of India, wherever you are america,europe or australia - great job. Possibly

Not to steal the thunder from melakaveri balaji and his team, since you had given a small detour with trichy sankaran sir playing few patterns, I am just adding a link where sankaran sir gave a lecdem @ mudhra explaining layam and tani.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26738&hilit=trichy+sankaran

Christian Kenit Ram

Post by Christian Kenit Ram »

thanjavooran wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 07:40 Very pleasing to listen. Though I have no knowledge on thalam technique enjoyed.
Thanks for the link.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
28 11 2018
Thanks , Thanjavooran !

This video has some info bits which I am going to explore further and it has helped me differentiate better some of the finer parts used at the beginning of a Thani . It goes beyond the standard ( but perfectly correct ) enumeration of Farans / Mohra / Korvai and goes into interesting details of what is happening before the climax of a Thani .

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Excellent video @Christian Kenit Ram. I loved to listen to it. No one in all these years has ever made any attempt to give a structured, live tracking of a tani Avartananam indicating where each and every section begins or ends and what is even being played and what are all those terms being tossed about in a loose manner.

For all the graded and structured nature of rhythm (rhythm IS structure), the way it has been exposed to an audience till now is shockingly vague, unstructured and incomplete for the most part. The occasional lec dem never makes it to mass media. To an extent I try to review what's happening when I review a concert, but my knowledge is no better than hearsay either.

The live captions in the video are the best part. That's really what should be pointed out. The points where each and every segment or naDai change or kOrvai or whatever begins. @Sanjeev Raja and Keerthi Venkataramani, If you do this captioning for a few complete tani Avartanams from start to finish in various tAlas, we can figure it out.

Tell us if these live captions for tani Avartanams with 2 or more artistes. When I get time I will watch the videos of this Youtube channel and see what else is up.