Korvai examples

Tālam & Layam related topics
MadhavRayaprolu

Korvai examples

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

I posted in an older thread but realized people may not be reading that thread, so reposting. Can someone recommend simple-to-follow steps/YouTube’s/web pages to make up korvais in popular talams and eduppus?

If you have any tips on what constitutes “good” korvais and not just technically correct korvais please also share.
Also any tips on how to “nicely” fit a korvai pattern into the taalam. In other words, one way to fit a korvai is to take pretty much any korvai pattern of any taalam out there, and fit it into any other taalam/eduppu combination by simply calculating which beat it should start on, and keep noodling around in the swarakalpana until we reach that beat and start the korvai. But I suspect there is more to the aesthetics of choosing the right korvai and fitting with the rest of the swaram.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Korvai examples

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This thread with a lot of content from Mridangam Balaji is canonical for this topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2359
I recall his matrix representation of korvai meta data for constructing the korvai.

MadhavRayaprolu

Re: Korvai examples

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

Thank you Vasanthakokilam and Balaji sir, the thread is very informative.