35 alankaram notations

Tālam & Layam related topics
sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

Hi All

I am aware this topic has been discussed a couple of times, but I could not really find the info that I need anywhere.
I am in quest of not just the 35 tala calculations in numbers but the actual notations -
I have been learning the basic 7 alankaram, but I am interested to figure out the remaining 28 alankrams and practice the various speeds myself and for this I need your help.

I am stuck at various places - for eg:

I know eka talam tisra jati is
s r g
r g m
g m p
m p d
p d n
d n s
s n d
n d p
d p m
p d n
d n s

what is the notation for dhruva talam tisra jati?

Similarly, I am looking for all the other combinations as well. If someone has already done this, can you please kindly share it.

Thanks
Sree

mohan

Post by mohan »

For tisra tala dhruva tala you can have a simple:

srg sr srg mpd
rgm rg rgm pdn
gmp gm gmp dns
snd sn snd pmg
ndp nd ndp dpm
dpm pm dpm grs

msakella

Post by msakella »

If you see the already followed system of fabrication of Alankarams each Alankaram must consist of 5 avartas or cycles of Tala in the ascending order and another 5 Avartas or cycles of Tala in the descending order and, thus, the 1st Avarta starts with ‘sa’ and ends with ‘ma’, 2nd Avarta with ‘ri’ and ‘pa’, 3rd Avarta with ‘ga’ and ‘da’, 4th Avarta with ‘ma’and ‘ni’, and 5th avarta with ‘pa’ and ‘sa’ in the ascending order and 6th Avarta starts with ‘sa’ and ends with ’pa’, 7th Avarta with ‘ni’ and ‘ma’, 8th Avarta with ‘da’ and ‘ga’, 9th Avarta with ‘pa’ and ‘ri’ and 10th Avarta with ‘ma’ and ‘sa’ of the descending order. Thus, the Alankaram in Trisra-jati Dhruva-tala should be sung as follows.
srg sr srg rgm | rgm rg rgm gmp | gmp gm gmp mpd | mpd mp mpd pdn | pdn pd pdn dns |
snd sn snd ndp | ndp nd ndp dpm | dpm dp dpm pmg | pmg pm pmg mgr | mgr mg mgr grs |
amsharma

sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

thanks for the info

But dhruva tala chatusra jati is
srgm gr srgr srgm

shd not it be srg rs srs srg
I am just blindly taking the logic of the above reference.

Where can I find the remaining alankarams?

Thanks
Sree

msakella

Post by msakella »

For the time being, as per the norms being followed every Alankara must consist of 5 Avartas/cycles in the Arohana/ascending order and 5 Avartas/cycles in the Avarohana/descending order. Why should it not vary is a question of debate. In the interest of following the tradition blindly it should not vary at all. But, logically, in the interest of our kids in making it more easy to follow and also in building a new generation with enormous rhythmical strength it must vary, if needed. amsharma

sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

Thanks msakella!

Since you mentioned there should be 5 avartanas , is the below incorrect (I made an attempt to do eka talam in other jatis) -
eka talam tisra jati
first speed
s r g
r g m
g m p
m p d
p d n
d n s
s n d
n d p
d p m
p d n
d n s

=======

eka talam khanda jati
first speed
s r g m p
r g m p d
g m p d n
m p d n s
s n d p m
n d p m g
d p m g r
p m g r s

==========

eka talam misra jati
first speed
s r g m p d n
r g m p d n s
s n d p m g r
n d p m g r s
Last edited by sreevin25 on 08 Nov 2009, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sreevin25, What you wrote is correct but how the staunch traditionalists respond I cannot say. Why did you leave away the ‘eka talam sankeerna-jati - first speed - s r g m p d n s r / r s n d p m g r s’ I could not understand. amsharma

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Maybe he/she thought alankaram cant transverse more than 1 octave?
Is there any such rule like that?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Rules are framed by people like us. For the convenience of our kids, in making them understand, there is nothing wrong if we modify them accordingly. amsharma

Ripri

Re: 35 alankaram notations

Post by Ripri »

thisra jathi dhruva can be

srg sg rgm gmp||
rgm rm gmp mpd||

or srg rs srg rgm||

or srg rs srs srg||

Is there a standard? how about for other jathis like sankeerna