Raga Brindavana sAranga

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Raga Brindavana sAranga

Post by hariharan »

The 2 Audio links given below is Thyagaraja Kriti "Kamalapta kula" so beautifully rendered by Sri.M.Balamuralikrishna and Sri.OS Thyagaran. After listening to both the renditions, it gives a feel (to me) as if the same kirthanam is differently rendered by the musicians. If so, I seek your guidances why it is so.

https://youtu.be/DmcdXEgjwmM

https://youtu.be/L3IPTw14IJY

hariharan

Re: Raga Brindavana sAranga

Post by hariharan »

The Lyrics of the 3rd line of the Charanam "kanikarambuna nAkabhaya miyyavayya" is also sung as "kanikaram buna nAkabhaya mivvumayya". Please clarify the correct lyrics.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

Could the moderators perhaps merge this thread with the existing one on Brindavana Saranga vs. Brindavani, since the question raised here is highly relevant to that discussion, and both threads explore the same basic concept?

I refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4884

Also, yes the versions are indeed very distinct. This is perhaps because the way a musician deals with Brindavana Saranga depends on his pathantaram! Brindavana Saranga is a ragam that seems to have many different forms. BMK sang a version closest to what is found in manuscripts, while the other rendition you have shared offers a slightly different take on the aesthetic soundscape of the ragam. I guess that this has got a lot to do with the pathantaram one has learnt and the school of thought one has studied under.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

The correct sahityam is Kanikarambuna Nakabhayamivvumaiya. The sahityam, when all the sandhis are split would be Kanikarambuna naku abhayamu ivvumu ayya (Ivvumaiyya can also be treated as a single word perhaps)
Last edited by Ananthakrishna on 19 Mar 2021, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Dr. MBK rendition to me feel as Raga Madhyamavathy.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

There are similar gamakams to BMKs interpretation of Brindavana Saranga and Madhyamavathi. The Nishadam of both Brindavana Saranga and Madhyamavathi have been dealt with similarly.

However one will find that BMK has used the G2 very explicitly and forcefully. The G2 has been used in many places. Also the rishabham is dealt with differently in particular phrases that use the G2, or the N2. Maybe that can be used to distinguish the two.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

This rendition of the Keerthanam is by Sri. Maharajapuram Santhanam, rendered in slow tempo with full raga bhavams of Brindavana Saranga in his rendition.

https://youtu.be/HCpqlYsh3B8

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Thanks Ananthakrishna, the information shared by you is very interesting and convincing too.

RasikasModerator1

Post by RasikasModerator1 »

Dear members, please check if other threads are already there for one raga and what was discussed in those before opening a new one.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Sorry, and will follow your suggestion for my future guidance.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RasikasModerator1 wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 12:53 Dear members, please check if other threads are already there for one raga and what was discussed in those before opening a new one.
@RasikasModerator1
Merge this thread it to the original thread please
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4884&hilit=Brindav%2A

Remove in that thread where it was put by mistake brindhAvanasAran'ga vs Brindavani as brindhAvanasAran'ga vs Brindavani (remove ' and h)