Suryakantham (chayavathi)

Rāga related discussions
shankarank

Suryakantham (chayavathi)

Post by shankarank »

I looked for a thread on this rAgA. Whilst there is much to discuss on SaurAshtram, looks like there isn't much to say about sUryakAntam.

Now what interested me as I went up SSP is the rAgA chAyavati , mentioned with jIva svara prayOgas - d d D and (M). ArOhaNa is also mentioned with dDD . There is a thread in this section that had a question as to why the same svara is mentioned thrice in mUrchana.

Sri tyAgarajas muddumOmu : anupallavi second line and second caraNam second line start with ddD - specifically thrice!

That begs the question is there some awareness of the same across the two paramparas.

Suryakantam would otherwise be treated as a combo-mela - where the lower tetrachord is treated like the dominant rAgA maya-mALava gAuLA, and the upper one like SankaraBharaNam - as per general guidance of such mELas.

But in usage in compositions, there seem to be similarity in ideas!

nAdopAsaka

Re: Suryakantham (chayavathi)

Post by nAdopAsaka »

Maybe the following comment in this thread is OK under the sUryakAntam mela banner ?

It is of some interest (at least to me) that the Dikshitar manages to cite all three words
saurAStra, sUrya and chAyA ! in his homage to the sun via the Navagraha kriti as in the usages
saurAStra-mantra, sUrya-murte and chAyA-dhipatE...

This graha kriti always sounds more weighty to me than the playful sri ganapatini of the other great master...
.one of his rare kritis on the ganapati.

Maybe shankarank or others can comment if there is more to the graha kriti (or less to the ganapati kriti ?)

hopefully no feuding ensues

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

By using ddd like that SrI tyAgaraja gives out a sanjna (signal) that he may know about chaaya. Both consorts of Surya! :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Lets take Saurashtram to its own thread. But in relation to the putative parent scale, this is another instance like dEvagandhari to take advantage of weakness of the parent to bring in additional bhashanga. SankarabharaNam has a tentative N3 - anusvara etc. We can only speculate how they stumbled on such rAgAs!

But I swear, I heard Sri Balakrishna Sastrigal handle mOmu in muddu mOmu with a plain "ga" , without ever touching "ma" in one of the youtube ones, not able to retrieve back the section of tyAgaraja ramayaNam or some other discourse. Now he is not a concert musician. And very unlikely he would conjure up such a take like an absolute plain "G3" on his own! Should be there in somebody's version that he accessed!

I say this, to suggest a possibility that these combo mELas may have some individual distinct approaches in them , and not to be assumed like the combos they have been made out to be. Everybody ascends like mAyA mALava gauLa.

In a concert who is going to have the patience to hear a plain "ga" being done nyasam on , not here in CM. Could be in HM.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7nAuNGMKYU - has a nice rendition of MuddumOmu - by Pazhaiyaseevaram G. Kalidass. He emotes very well, even with a rhythmic descents in mOhincirO.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Preferring the simpler HM notation,
Suryakkaantam is an MK parent-scale- non-viivaadhi
S R1 G2 M1 P D2 N2 S'
--------------------------------------------------
MaayaaMaaLvaGowLA is an MK parent scale - non-viivaadhi
S R1 G2 M1 P D1 N2 S'
------------------------------------------------
Sankaraabaranam is an MK parent scale - non-vivaadhi
S R2 G2 M1 P D2 N2 S'
-------------------------------------------------
Suryakaanntham and MaayaaMaaLavaGowLA belong to the same chakra differering in D2 - D1. So they may sound similar
----------------------------------------------------
Sankarabaranam belongs to a different chakra ,differing from Suryakantham in R1 - R2 only.
--
Each has its own melodic form and distinct even without referring to the notes as above, They reveal themselves only through aalaapp and kruthis.
-
https://sites.google.com/site/cmhm4me/h ... m-notation
--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suryakantam
--
AMK raga mentioned skips P in ascending , it seems. according to the wiki.