The scale of Kharaharapriya in Renaissance (European) music

Rāga related discussions
kanniks

The scale of Kharaharapriya in Renaissance (European) music

Post by kanniks »

Here's Passereau's 'Il est bel est bon' (a song about spouses and chickens) sung in swaras (the scale of Kharaharapriya) followed by the fun original French - as performed by Vidita Kanniks (4 part polyphony)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbUdY9bREAg

Part of the reason why this piece is so popular (per Vidita) is because it's written in one of the most attractive scalar modes of all time, 'Dorian' (in the western tradition), 'Kharaharapriya' as classified in the Carnatic system of 72 mela ragas or 'Kaafi' in the Hindustani thaat system: essentially a natural minor mode with raised scale degree 6. This creates a timeless soundscape and is heard in 9th/10thc Gregorian chant, all the way through the medieval periods and prominently in various folk music traditions of the world (notably English/Celtic). Dorian chords are used in jazz theory and this mode is still heard in some of the 20/21st century's most iconic tunes like Thriller (MJ), Telephone (Lady Gaga), Mad World (Gary Jules),

For the most part we simplify music into generic 'major' or 'minor' modes but the Indian theory system recognizes an almost infinite number of ragas/modes. It's fun to dig a little deeper and appreciate these patterns that make pieces that much more unique from one another.

#frenchchanson #renaissancemusic #churchmodes #choralmusic #polyphony #renaissancemusic #renaissancepolyphony #earlymusic #swaras #dorianmode #multitrack #acapella #kharaharapriya

Sachi_R

Re: The scale of Kharaharapriya in Renaissance (European) music

Post by Sachi_R »

#Kanniks, Thank you for a very informative post and I heard Vidita.
She has such a smooth delivery and has pulled off a great composite effect. Her voice has what I call "attack" very well used here.

The Raga reminded me of Kafi more than Kharaharapriya. Now that you mentioned it and Vidita has sung it so well, I did remember Gregorian chants. The soundscape of chants in a cathedral and also an organ playing this tune came to mind.

I feel one should attempt a Carnatic song with this kind of effect. Within the virtual collab world this must be easy now. Need a strong metronomic reference throughout. Shows what a good effort Vidita has achieved!

Nick H

Re: The scale of Kharaharapriya in Renaissance (European) music

Post by Nick H »

Yes, very nice. Superbly done with such precision but also great charm.