LIST OF PARENT RAGAMS AND THEIR JANYA RAGAMS. -COMPREHENSIVE

Rāga related discussions
RSR

LIST OF PARENT RAGAMS AND THEIR JANYA RAGAMS. -COMPREHENSIVE

Post by RSR »

I stumbled upon a very nice wiki page last night and cannot wait enough to share
with fellow-rasikas, interested in the theme.
It follows the 72 melakartha scheme.
and under each of the 72 melakartha ragams, it lists the corresponding janya ragams of each.
Not merely that. It gives the ascending and descending notes also for each janya ragam.
My interest is in finding out the parent scale of each 'single ragam-single krithi' song of Thyagaraja Swami. and my job is very much simplified by this comprehensive list.
Parent scale of all the ragams used by thyagaraja swami also are given.
An in-depth study and analysis of the pattern will reveal the preferred parent scales by the composer.
Some HM ragams frequently used in CM concerts , also are listed.
A ready-made reference for serious students of CM ,especially Thyagaraja kritis.

List of Janya ragas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Janya_ragas

CRama

Re: LIST OF PARENT RAGAMS AND THEIR JANYA RAGAMS. -COMPREHENSIVE

Post by CRama »

RSR, Thanks for the link. Very useful site.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

This list is what I have been using other than the one on karnatik.com - here it is both arranged by mEla and also in alphabetical order on sheet 2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3wwddqxwvke8 ... .xlsx?dl=0

RSR

Post by RSR »

CRama wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 08:49 RSR, Thanks for the link. Very useful site.
Respected Sir, Thank you. Great many ragams with 'nice' names, which I have not heard so far, are listed there. Enough for a veteran like you, to unearth recorded songs from your archives. and bring them to light.
Why not have your own youtube channel?

RSR

Post by RSR »

SrinathK wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 10:17 This list is what I have been using other than the one on karnatik.com - here it is both arranged by mEla and also in alphabetical order on sheet 2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3wwddqxwvke8 ... .xlsx?dl=0
Sure enough. It could not have escaped your attention.

CRama

Post by CRama »

RSR wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 14:47
CRama wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 08:49 RSR, Thanks for the link. Very useful site.
Why not have your own youtube channel?
I do not have that intention or that much technical knowledge. If any body asks for any concert/song, I will happily provide.

carnatican

Post by carnatican »

RSR wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 09:42 I stumbled upon a very nice wiki page last night and cannot wait enough to share
with fellow-rasikas, interested in the theme.
It follows the 72 melakartha scheme.
and under each of the 72 melakartha ragams, it lists the corresponding janya ragams of each.
Not merely that. It gives the ascending and descending notes also for each janya ragam.
My interest is in finding out the parent scale of each 'single ragam-single krithi' song of Thyagaraja Swami. and my job is very much simplified by this comprehensive list.
Parent scale of all the ragams used by thyagaraja swami also are given.
An in-depth study and analysis of the pattern will reveal the preferred parent scales by the composer.
Some HM ragams frequently used in CM concerts , also are listed.
A ready-made reference for serious students of CM ,especially Thyagaraja kritis.

List of Janya ragas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Janya_ragas
This is one of the best wiki pages. Often when you hear to an unfamiliar ragam - you can use its scale to search this site and find the ragam. Eg, you hear M1 P D2 P S phrase, there are 8 possibilities etc. Not the desired way to identify a ragam, but useful when all else fails.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Indeed it is. Thanks for sharing the link @RSR

RSR

Post by RSR »

SrinathK wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 20:54 Indeed it is. Thanks for sharing the link @RSR
------------------------
Thank you. A request.... Chenchurutti was a favourite ragam of Smt.MS Subbulakshmi. If I am not mistaken, there is a ragam known as junjooti
among Thyagaraja kritis. Are they same?
Last edited by RSR on 22 Jul 2019, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Let me get to J. :)

So far I have observed many differences between the Dikshitar school's handling of the rAgAs. So far I have not observed the two keenly enough to find any difference.

tmmurali

Post by tmmurali »

carnatican wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 19:50 This is one of the best wiki pages. Often when you hear to an unfamiliar ragam - you can use its scale to search this site and find the ragam. Eg, you hear M1 P D2 P S phrase, there are 8 possibilities etc. Not the desired way to identify a ragam, but useful when all else fails.
I have also found the page to be invaluable for identifying ragams and learning about their scales. However, hasn't automatic search on the page (I mean using Control-F or a similar key on the page) become well-nigh impossible ever since somebody changed the page systematically to use subscripts? For example, "M1" now appears as "M" with the subscript of 1. There is probably a way around but I have not been able to find it.

RSR

Post by RSR »

tmmurali
----------
Sir, It is possible with a bit of our own work.
1) create a page in googlesites.
2) copy and paste the wikipage as simple text there.
3) use the search facility to either look for all the janyams of a parent ragam or
find the parent ragam and desired janya ragam and its asc-desc notes. in a jiffy.
I just now experimented and it works.
---------------------------------
Kindly see the screen shots.
( i chose Kowmari , at random)
--------------------------------
I have to do some more work in the list.. Each line should begin with the name of the parent scale.
Can be easily done.
----------------------------
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/ ... -list-wiki
----------------------------
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/ ... &q=Kowmari
------------------------------
Merely knowing the asc-desc notes is definitely not enough to really appreciate the raga swaroopam . It must be supplemented by illustrative audio / audio+video ( preferably audio alone unless it is HD ) . Our forum expert SrinathK is doing that difficult work. Members also can search for illustrations from tube or sound cloud or from other sources and augment.

tmmurali

Post by tmmurali »

RSR wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 19:46 tmmurali
----------
3) use the search facility to either look for all the janyams of a parent ragam or
find the parent ragam and desired janya ragam and its asc-desc notes. in a jiffy.
Your approach certainly works well. Thanks for suggesting it. As an alternative to having to make a copy of a Wikipedia page, I realised that a kludge is to click the "Edit" button on the top right of the page. Doing so displays the raw Wikitext underlying the page, which we can search as usual. (It also becomes apparent that the svaraC template is the cause for the appearance of the subscripts.) A small advantage of this approach is that we do not have to keep updating a local copy of this page, which does change, especially due to corrections.

RSR

Post by RSR »

tmmurali wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 06:39
RSR wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 19:46 tmmurali
----------
Your approach certainly works well. Thanks for suggesting it. As an alternative to having to make a copy of a Wikipedia page, I realised that a kludge is to click the "Edit" button on the top right of the page. Doing so displays the raw Wikitext underlying the page, which we can search as usual. (It also becomes apparent that the svaraC template is the cause for the appearance of the subscripts.) A small advantage of this approach is that we do not have to keep updating a local copy of this page, which does change, especially due to corrections.
Thank you. Very glad that you found it useful. I am now doing the list with the parent ragam mentioned in each line.
(ex) 1 Kanakangi Kanakambari S R1 M1 P D1 ? ? N1 D1 P M1 G1 R1 S
I have come upto MK 60. hoping to complete and test the method by sunday night.

If am able to get the required result for search, others can simply copy or download the attached page that I will provide.
Let me hope.

---------------
I will also try the method suggested by you. and report the result.
Thank you.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Happy to report success in quick search for parent-janya-notes in google-sites just now.
-------------------
A new list was prepared in simple text format.
MK NUMBER, PARENT RAGAM NAME, JANYA RAGAM NAME AND ASC-DESC NOTES.
------------------
To make it even easier, the notes were omitted in another list.
Just type the name of the janya ragam and use search this site' button.
we get MK number, Parent ragam, searched ragam
and the notes.
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/ ... &q=KUNJARI
-------------------------------------------------
If the search term is the parent ragam itself, we get its notes and a few at least of the derived ragams.
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/ ... &q=dhenuka
-------------------------------------------------

This is just a rough guide.
---------------------
I dont see any purpose in knowing the name of the parent scale.
but we can see which are all the parent scales that have been used to derive janyaragams more ( especially by Thyagaraja Swami).
---------
The same parent scale can give hugely different janya ragams.
----------
The asc-desc notes notation can be vastly simplified by using HM method.
-> S R1 R2 G1 G2 M1 M2 P D1 D2 N1 N2 S*
<- S N2 N1 D2 D1 P M2 M1 G2 G1 R2 R1 S

RSR

Post by RSR »

Happy to report that the 'search' work was completed successfully last night.
It is a two step process. (1) If we want to know the name of the parent scale for a given janya ragam, we use
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/first-36
( the URL needs change..will be done soon Actually, it covers all the 72 MK scales)
---------------
(2) After spotting the janyaragam, parent, we use,
https://sites.google.com/site/4cmposts/ ... ms-newlist
which gives the actual asc-desc notes.
---------------
To make the job easier for learners, I have attached the required text file in the corresponding page, so that one can just download and use it , perhaps in one's own desktop with 'grep'! ( if they are linux savvy)/

hoping that this helps.