karnATaka Shuddha sAvEri

Rāga related discussions
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but is this rAga related to malahari/kannaDa bangaLa? I was just listening to DKJ's rendition of EkAmrESha nAyikE and the relation seemed almost pronounced.

mohan

Post by mohan »

They are all related and are janya's of Mayamalavagowla:

Saveri is S R1 M1 P D1 S - S N3 D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

Karnataka Shuddha Saveri is S R1 M1 P D1 S - S D1 P M1 R1 S

Malahari is S R1 M1 P D1 S - S D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

Kannada Bangala is S R1 M1 G3 M1 P D1 S - S D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

I am of the opinion that the gitam "AnalEkara" was originally rendered in Karnataka Shuddha Saveri and not the Shuddha Saveri (Devakriya) that is in vogue today.

arunk

Post by arunk »

mohan wrote:I am of the opinion that the gitam "AnalEkara" was originally rendered in Karnataka Shuddha Saveri and not the Shuddha Saveri (Devakriya) that is in vogue today.
mohan - can you elaborate on why you think so? what are the clues?

thanks
Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:
mohan wrote:I am of the opinion that the gitam "AnalEkara" was originally rendered in Karnataka Shuddha Saveri and not the Shuddha Saveri (Devakriya) that is in vogue today.
mohan - can you elaborate on why you think so? what are the clues?

thanks
Arun
Arun,

Clue 1: SSP mentions this :)

Clue 2: According to Dr R Satyanarayana, some manuscript in Varalakshmi Academy (RS's institution) labels AnalEkara in malahari

Clue 2: (I think) It is very natural for Purandara dasa to compose geetes in mALavagouLa janyas (malahari and shuddhasAvEri)

Clue 4: Because of the name confusion, the shuddha ri da svaras could have easily become chatushruti ri da swaras, to match the mainstream 'suddha' sAvEri

Mohan, Please post if you have any more

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks ramakriya. Pretty solid clues.

BTW, have you noticed that in more than one case, a raga with suddha prefix today has a non-suddha swaras (as known today) :)? Another example dhanyasi vs suddha-dhanyasi (?), hindoLam vs suddha-hindoLam (varamu). I thought there was atleast one more but cant recollect now.

I wonder if these are possible indicators to
* Remnants of the confusion in "medieval times" were as to what the "old, original suddha" swaras were
or
* Remnants of indicators as to what the original suddha swaras were

(i.e. old suddha ri/da were perhaps closer to today's R2, D2 and not today's R1, D1, but from rAmamatya R1, D1 became suddha)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 20 Jun 2007, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

[
arunk wrote:BTW, have you noticed that in more than one case, a raga with suddha prefix today has a non-suddha swaras (as known today) :)? Another example dhanyasi vs suddha-dhanyasi (?), hindoLam vs
suddha-hindoLam (varamu). I thought there was atleast one more but cant recollect now.
The pair you left out is probably vasanta & Shuddha vasanta.

IMO, in all these cases, the shuddha prefix indicates an earlier version of the rAga, *irrespective of whether it had shuddha* svaras or not.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 20 Jun 2007, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Ramakriya has covered the reasons but the obvious one to me is that after the Sarali varisai, Janta and alankara exercises in Mayamalavagowla, the first gitams are in Malahari. Karnataka Shuddha Saveri seems to naturally flow on from Malahari.

Yes, the word Shuddha in front of a raga gives no clues to the swaras used.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you, posters. Your input definitely throws some light on the rAga.

vk

Post by vk »

hi, what is the language analekhara composed in? It doesn't sound like kannada to me. Can anyone post the lyrics in kannda (if it is in this language) and the meaning of this composition?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

My guess is bhAnDIra bhAsha - but I do not bet my last paise on it!

-Ramakriya

kumar_iyer

Post by kumar_iyer »

vk wrote:Can anyone post the lyrics in kannda (if it is in this language) and the meaning of this composition?
Doesn't sound like Kannada for me too!

Anyways, the sAhithyam is:

Aanalekara Unni Poladi Sakala Shaastrapuraana

Dheenam Taala Dheenam Taala Parigathu Rere

Setu Vaaha Pariga Tamnam Jataajoota

Meaning:

Even as we watch ("aanalekara"), the water (unni") stored in a tank leaks through another outlet (pooladi"). In the same manner, my life has been wasted ("parigathu") without the awareness ("dheenam") of the ancient texts and scriptures (shastras and puraanas).

Reference: http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... eetham.htm

Regards,
Kumar.

sreevidyasharma

Re: karnATaka Shuddha sAvEri

Post by sreevidyasharma »

Is not Suddha Saveri the janyam of Dheera Sankarabharanan?
And also I have a feeling the language could be a dialect of South kanara spoken during the 1400s in the Tirthahalli locality. In fact even Tulu has a lot of Tamil Kannada and Telugu in it