What Raga is this ?

Rāga related discussions
Pasupathy

What Raga is this ?

Post by Pasupathy »

Can someone identify this Raga in the RTP played by Shashank ? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcN0F5-7Q0

vasanthakokilam

Re: What Raga is this ?

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Charukesi

arasi

Post by arasi »

I heard the beginning of it and though chArukESi was my first impression, like Pasupathy, I wondered what rAgA it was after a few strains. vakuLAbharaNam like? Well, you heard it a bit more perhaps, and he must have played ChArukESi if you say it. Let me try and hear a bit more. Sounded very good, though...

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

On thoery, vakulabharanam has R1, Charukesi R2 and Ragavardhini R3 (vivadi), with other swaras common. Ragavardhini resembles Charukesi closely, it seems.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I think: The scale has Shankarabharana in lower half, Latangi in higher half. The raga next to Charukeshi =Sarasangi 27 mela.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks to all. Sarasangi was my guess too, though I was not sure.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I should have put a '?' at the end of my response given the uncertainty in my mind.

For the first five minutes, it sounded a lot like Shankarabharanam. What Akkarai played did not that overtly sound like S'bharanam and I wondered how she knew it was not shankarabharanam ;) Later on it started sounding more and more like Charukesi to me. When Shashank sang the pallavi line, it sounded so much like Charukesi which sealed the deal (wrongly) for me.

I do not have a good grasp of Sarasangi . I guess I would consistently mis-label Sarasangi as Charukesi with a caveat 'hmm..there is something different about it'. I am sure a lot of you are saying 'The problem is you (nI)'

shanks

Post by shanks »

It is sarasangi.

Akkarai plays the alapana very clearly as sarasangi, while Sasank started off like sankarabaranam and continued to bring in the sankarabaranam like patterns. Suddha dhaivatam is a key swaram and keeping away from it plus using a lot of sankarabaranamish patterns in my view is the reason why it is confusing. I have not heard so many 'N R G M' patterns in sarasangi !!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Shashank has a "different" way to explore and present ragas, compared to the cut and dried CM ways. I found that also in his Hamir Kalyani a couple of days ago. I wouldn't fault him. It's just his musicality and a Hindustani influence to build up ragas note by note. He studies under Pt Jasraj for some years now!
Charukeshi is a raga that excels in presenting lower half followed by upper half notes ALL the time. The very fact shashank didn't do it was a message. Also, remember he would have announced on the stage Sarasangi before beginning the RTP. So no confusion for Akkarai :) only for us folks :(

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R0olDTS9wI

I have found this Gold Standard always a big help in differentiating ... Nat Bhairav

arasi

Post by arasi »

I found a sarasAngi sung by Dr. Saraswathi Vidyarthi (hadn't heard of her before) on youtube. It's from a nAda nIrAjanam program. She has a powerful voice which is sweet.

kartik

Post by kartik »

Isn't it simhavahini?

ravichitrapu

Post by ravichitrapu »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzdIrkDFcso
a link to a very well delineated sarasangi RTP by Charumathi Raghuraman (live in Vienna)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

sarasAngi getting this much attention in recent times is interesting. This raga was ignored as much as possible for a long time.