Raga Ganavaridhi

Rāga related discussions
gobilalitha

Raga Ganavaridhi

Post by gobilalitha »

Sri,S.Mahesh n his review of the Kutcheri of Madurai G.S.Mani at Bhandup on 19/9 . he states that the second song' dayajucutakidi ' was in the raga 'ganavandhi'. can any forum friend give details about the raga posting an audio if available . gobilalitha

mankuthimma

Re: Raga Ganavandhi

Post by mankuthimma »

ganava r idhi , right ????

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

http://www.mediafire.com/?0qcza21cm2tdgtv

SRJ has recorded three hundred ragas for posterity.For Brahaddhwani
First volume was released yesterday.
Let us give this genial Master a big Hand of Applause :clap: :clap:

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

TNS sings the mentioned song of tyagaraja in 'gAnavAridhi'. This is s janya of Chala Naata, if i am not wrong

There was a live concert Prof SRJ in Naadaneerajanam from Tirumala last month or so.

Coolji-Do u have 'Shwetha Ganapathim' in Raga Chudamani of MD. Prof SRJ has sung and explained this song in a lecture demonstration. Even the url is fine.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Thanks for the response by friends. As all of you may be aware poojyasri SRJ is the guru of the TORONTO BROS.. gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Ashwin, can you please post more details ,Balu mama gobilalitha

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Ya. The raga is gAnavAridhi. But it has been listed as janya of vAgadEshwari and else where as janya of sUlini. Not sure. Hope learned members of the forum will enlighten us. Because I kept dreaming of vAgadEshwari vs sUlini.
Harini

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

@mankuthimma - thanks for that splendid recording of SRJ Mama - is it from the Brhaddhwani series?

@Balu Uncle - thanks for starting the topic! I'd be interested in hearing GS Mani's version - I have only ever heard SRJ Mama and TNS Sir sing this. Per SRJ Mama, gAnavAridhi is a janyam of sUlini (vivAdhi in the pUrvANgam only).

@vs_manjunath: I wish I had SRJ Mama's rendition of SvEta gaNapatim vandE on hand, but I can unfortunately only offer a video of Rohin and me singing - please visit http://www.torontobrothers.com (click on Media and then you'll see the video on the right-hand side). rAgacUDAmaNi - Aro: S M1 R3 G3 M1 P N2 N2; Ava: S N2 D1 P M1 G3 M1 R3.

Ashwin
Last edited by Ashwin on 28 Sep 2010, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Change the title to gAnavAridhi ,we also need not append raga .

vs_manjunath

Re: Raga Ganavaridhi

Post by vs_manjunath »

Ashwin- Thanks for the video clipping. Very enjoyable. I have visited the temple on which MD has made this Rare Song! Wish both of you all success in CM.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

No No Not from that series .
It is from my series ...:P
And that means I dont know where I got all that stuff from . :$

sivapriya

Post by sivapriya »

Dayaju chutakithive of Tyagaraja, is the best example of Gaanavaridhi.

The best exposition of this was by the great Mudicondan Venkatarama Iyer. ( AIR recording available), my guru RV sings this song.

TNS sings this wonderfully. I have also heard a recording of Brindamma sing this song.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

sivapriya wrote:Dayaju chutakithive of Tyagaraja, is the best example of Gaanavaridhi.

The best exposition of this was by the great Mudicondan Venkatarama Iyer. ( AIR recording available), my guru RV sings this song.

TNS sings this wonderfully. I have also heard a recording of Brindamma sing this song.

BMK too ,has sung it (commercial recording from last decade), and goes the shUlini janya way.

I suspect Smt.T.Brinda sings it non-vivadi, harikambhOji janyam, as is her wont regarding most of the vivAdi-s, [most likley that Naina pillai taught it that way; his other students do the same].

We should try and list the paThAntaram-s with the corresponding persons.

What do the tillaisthanam high priests have to say about this raga?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

hariniraghavan wrote:Ya. The raga is gAnavAridhi. But it has been listed as janya of vAgadEshwari and else where as janya of sUlini. Not sure. Hope learned members of the forum will enlighten us. Because I kept dreaming of vAgadEshwari vs sUlini.
Harini
120 krithis of Thyagaraja in Devanagari ( Published in 1959)Book clearly states this raga as janyam of sUlini !

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Thanks Manjunath
Harini

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

My database shows two listings each under melas 28 and 35 and one under 34 for gAnavAridhi.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

keerthi wrote:
BMK too ,has sung it (commercial recording from last decade), and goes the shUlini janya way.

Keerti,

BMK sings it as a janya of Vagadhishvari, while TNS sings it from Sulini (just as SRJ has done in the recording posted by Kulkarni).

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ramakriya wrote: BMK sings it as a janya of Vagadhishvari, while TNS sings it from Sulini (just as SRJ has done in the recording posted by Kulkarni).

-Ramakriya
This may have limited interest here - but for those who can read Kannada, here is my translation of the kriti, dayajUchuTakidi vELarA : http://hamsanada.blogspot.com/2010/09/blog-post_29.html

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

ramakriya- Hearty Congratulations. I'm sure we have to sing in gAnavAridhi only.
To enjoy u'r kannada lyrics may take some time. This has to be done alongwith Telugu lyrics.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Daya juchutaku- ganavardhini composed by Thyagaraja and rendered by

Padma Bushan Madurai Shri TN Sesha Gopalan can be listened at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOdSITtOZNg

venkatakailasam

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

vs_manjunath wrote: Coolji-Do u have 'Shwetha Ganapathim' in Raga Chudamani of MD. Prof SRJ has sung and explained this song in a lecture demonstration. Even the url is fine.
http://www.mediafire.com/?lejf3fq33bmjvfl
enjoy

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Suji Ram- Thanks for the U/L. Long back, u only had told me of this reference, had not recoded. If u remember, we also shared this ragachudamani, in some places hears like Nattai!!!
PS: This d/l song has a specified Volume which can't be increased! Any Solution. Even the Laptop's Max Vol setting won't help.

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Try this link and let me know
http://www.mediafire.com/?682y8hyk6ejo465

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Cool! Volume is fine, thanks. I love this rare song of this great Nada Jyothi Sri Muthuswami Dikshitar. What a genius!!!

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

What a genius!!!
You mean MD . Or Me ? ;(

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Both!!! In their own right! :lol:

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

Ashwin wrote:@mankuthimma - thanks for that splendid recording of SRJ Mama - is it from the Brhaddhwani series?

Ashwin
Ashwin - The gAnavAridi krithi that mankuthimma uploaded is from a home recording (July 2000); I really like Kalpana Venkat's measured accompaniment on the violin.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

SRJ's lec-dem of this ragam is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOboxztqDY
Interesting, it resembles Sankarabharanam in some places.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Time to bump this up. I'll come right back to this after taking care of T. Brinda's version of daya jUchuTa first.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

gAnavAridhi is a vivAdi rAgA in which Thyagaraja has composed one kriti - daya jUchuTa. Now this rAgam is not straightforward, so I am going to look at it phrase by phrase from the kriti and see if I can piece it together.

R3 is the vivAdi note. Other notes are S, G3, M1, P, D2 and N3. With these notes, it should belong under the 35th sampUrna mEla shUlini.

So the phrases are PMR3 - SMR3G - PDN3S - MGMR3 - N3DN3 - SMGM - SGR3G - SNDNP - SNP - SNPMRS - SNPMGMRS - SNSPDNS - SDNS - MRS. There is also a SR3S in it.

So first up, a few renditions of the kriti :
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... cal-MC-TU/ - Note the kalpanAswaras.

And SRJ mama's concert of Thyagarja's vivAdi compositions is there, so here : http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... .Tyagaraja

SRJ's mama's explanation will do it.