Concerts in Mumbai

Concerts and other events related to CM.
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hi Niranjan - any chance of an upload of the temAngu?

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Nice Navarathri Musical feast for we Mumbaikars.

Smt Nithyashree Mahadevan on 25th In Shanmukhananda Hall at 7 pm

and Saketharaman and Suryaprakash on 26th and 27th .

I will be there for Smt. Nithyashree and Saketaraman. for sure.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Prashant! Congratulations!!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Congratulations Prashant. Yet another 'miss' for me since I will be away from Mumbai.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Did anyone read my post #400?

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks to all of you for your heartfelt wishes. The news of this award is a pleasant surprise, and all the credit goes to the efforts of my Gurus Tiruvarur Sri N. S. Chandrasekharan and Sangita Kalanidhi Smt. R. Vedavalli, and the encouragement of my family and friends [including the very supportive community here that I am very happy to be a part of].

Arasi: sorry for the delay in replying. The concert this Sunday is part of the Navarathri series at Rathnagireeshwarar Koil, Besant Nagar. The concert is from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM. Bombay Shri Anand and our beloved forumite Erode Shri Nagaraj have kindly consented to accompany me on violin and mrudangam respectively. I hope to see some of you there.
Last edited by prashant on 22 Sep 2009, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Perashant,
Hope quite a few do attend, this being a doubly 'forum fellow' concert.
Congratulations on the award! Last time, Ram accompanied you.
Last edited by arasi on 23 Sep 2009, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Congrats Prashant!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Congrats Prashant! I am assuming this is your first award.

prashant

Post by prashant »

rajeshnat wrote:Congrats Prashant! I am assuming this is your first award.
Thanks Rajesh! Yes, it is...

hemavathy

Post by hemavathy »

i feel very Happy when i see our children growing so well in the field of music & going up to the level of getting Awards & all . it is a great pleasure to find our Bombay children SMT. Jayshree Ramnath ,Ranjani Gayathri , Prasanna Venkatraman & of course our Prashant are all coming up the ladder . WISH U ALL THE BEST PRASHANTH .it isa pity i wouldnt be able to come for ur concert since i am travelling

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

Congratulations, prashant.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very happy to hear about the award, Prashant. Congratulations!

erode14

Post by erode14 »

congrats prashant... :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Congrats Prashant!

venkatr

Post by venkatr »

Congrats Prashant !

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks for your good wishes, friends...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wondered if some forumites attended your concert. Looks like there is a review! Let me go read that...
Last edited by arasi on 29 Sep 2009, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi prashant, hearty congratulations (wishes are belated). indeed very nice to hear the news. logged into the forum after a small gap!

as observed by one of our rasikas, it is very heartening to see the younger generation (at 32, i'm counting myself in this generation!!!) showing immense interest in classical music. some of us as avid listeners, others as patrons and some as performers. everybody ultimately contributing towards spreading of this fine art!

ragaraga

Post by ragaraga »

hi everyone,
tell me if there are any upcoming programmes in mumbai?

ragaraga

Post by ragaraga »

hi everyone,
tell me if there are any upcoming programmes in mumbai?

RRamesh

Post by RRamesh »

Fine Arts Society Chembur -

November 14th 6.30 pm Smt .Bhavadharini Venkatesh

November 15th 6.05 pm Sri Kunnakudi Balamurali Krishna

Please see details in seperate thread of Fine Arts Society Chembur.

mohan

Post by mohan »

The Indian Musicological Society is holding a couple of free conferences at NCPA in Mumbai in mid January 2010. See http://web.mac.com/wvdm/JIMS/Home/Home.html for details.

blissfulmusic

Post by blissfulmusic »

Fine Arts Society Chembur - 27th December, Sunday 6 p.m to 8.pm.

Veena Recital by Kum. Gayatri Govindrajan.I have heard her play at Baratiya last month for Deekshidhar day...A fine vainika wtith Excllent control over the Veena. was a treat to hear her as there are hardly any vainika's i have seen or heard in mumbai.
She is currently learning from Smt. Shymala Sajnani - who happens to be the sister of E. Gayathri. so can expect something good from the concert.
The FAS circular states Aditya Sangeet - a chamber concert.

blissfulmusic

Post by blissfulmusic »

Fine Arts Society Chembur - 27th December, Sunday 6 p.m to 8.pm.

Veena Recital by Kum. Gayatri Govindrajan.I have heard her play at Baratiya last month for Deekshidhar day...A fine vainika wtith Excllent control over the Veena. was a treat to hear good veena playing live after long as there are hardly any vainika's i have seen or heard in mumbai.
She is currently learning from Smt. Shymala Sajnani - who happens to be the sister of E. Gayathri. so can expect something good from the concert.
The FAS circular states Aditya Sangeet - a chamber concert.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

I can assure rasikas of some really good music from Gayatri...Gayatri was earlier disciple of Smt Mangalam Muthuswamy. After her demise she has been learning from Mrs Shyamala...I agree with blissfulmusic that she has got control over the veena... :)

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Can somebody post datewise schedule of various concerts in Mumbai , starting from 19th Dec09.

Tks

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Why there are no updates here !? . Anyone pls.

vaidehi48

Post by vaidehi48 »

tomorrow 8th jan,violin by Kanyakumari n Embar s kannan n on the 9th there is a documentary film on Late sri GNB in shanmukhanandha.tmw's prog is at 6.30 pm n on the 9th it is 6'o clock.These 2 progrms a/c GNB Centenary celebrations.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Would be useful if someone with contacts in Sabhas could compile an update similar to Ram's. Should be easier given the number of concerts here...

Incidentally, I might have mentioned "Mumbai Rasika" a monthly update on concerts in the city including some Carnatic Concerts. The link is below:

http://www.sudeepaudio.com/contentPages ... e=concerts

No mention of the above concerts, though. BTW, Zakir and KRM perform at NCPA today....

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Thanks to Ms. Vaidehi48 and Mr. Vijay.

Today, 8th Jan10, as mentioned by Ms.vaidehi, there is a programme on GNB and participants are Ms. Kanyakumari and Mr. Embaar Kannan and its at 7 pm

Tomorrow, 9th Jan10, there is a vocal concert by Ms. Booshni Kalyan at 7 pm

At Ayyappa Mandar, Goregaon west, there will be a Thyagaraja aradhana at 6 pm on 10th by Shri Padmanabhan and his students.

Let me take up the initiative from now and gather information from Mumbai sabhas and associations.

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Friday
29-01-2010

Carnatic Vocal by Smt.Nithyashree and Party
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday
30-01-2010

Dance Ballet by Guru Smt,Padmini Radhakrishnan group
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sunday
31-01-2010

Mandolin Duet by Shri U.P.Raju and Smt Nagamani Raju

Venue:
Kalidas Hall, Mulund west

Timing :
8-15pm to 11-45 pm

Programmes' Details -
tickets
Bhanu Kumar
+91-022-25682782
bhanu_kumar@indiatimes.com

Admission by Donor passes only

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

The GNB centenary celebrations at Shanmukananda hall went on very well. On 8th Ms. Kanyakumari and Mr. Embaar Kannan played the violin duet while Mr. K.V.Prasad played Mrudangam and Mr. Rajesh Srinivasan played Ganjira.

Great to see Shri GNB's siblings !

We had around 3 hours of scintillating violin play and the duo played some ragas like Abogi, Hamsadwani, Suddha saveri, Behag, Yadhukula kambodhi, Thodi , Reedhi Gowlai.

The highlight was the extensive play on Thodi with a detailed alapana followed by thani avarthanam by the support artists. The show ended on a flourish.

The speed of the Violin was simply amazing , like a Mumbai fast local !

I have tried to capture as much possible and the link is below

http://carnaticmusicmumbai.blogspot.com/

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

The Thyagaraja Aradhana at Shri Ayyappa Mandir, Bangur Nagar was well performed by Shri. Padmanabhan and his students. I have uploaded some of the kritis.

http://carnaticmusicmumbai.blogspot.com/

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Lalgudi GJR Krishnan and GJR Vijayalakshmi will be performing in Mumbai :

30-01-2010 Duet- Place - Dombivili , R Ramesh , mridangam . It is at M.D.Thakoor Hall, Dombivli east. From the Station, ask for Tandon Road. The programme starts at 6 pm.

31-01-2010 Duet - Place - BARC , R Ramesh , mridangam

Trying to get more information on the venue.
Last edited by S.Balaji on 27 Jan 2010, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Besides , Lalgudi GJRK and GJRV are performing at Shanmukananda Chamber at 10 am on 31st. It seems it is restricted to members only. Pl check .

The BARC programme is at 6 pm.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I understand there is a Purandara Dasa and Tyagaraja Utsava day, also including events to mark birth centenary of Veena Raja Rao on January 31st, 2010 at Santa Gnaneshwara Mangala Karyalaya in Dombivile West.

Events include veena concert by Mysore based vidvan R K Padmanabha and vocal concert by Mumbai based vidushi Uma Nagabhushan.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Missed the above due to some personal commitments but thanks for your efforts Balaji. Do hope you can eventually update it to mirror Ram's wonderful work in Chennai!

BTW that is a remarkable portrait of St. Thyagaraja, quite unlike any I have seen before! Where did you get it from?

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Dear Vijay,

Thanks. All the recordings have been fully uploaded to my blog now. I attended Dombivli and BARC programmes. With limited capacity, I could save only 8 kritis besides 2 audio files.
That portrait of Satguru was taken through google search on one of the sites. Somehow, I was captivated with the way Shri. Hanumanji was listening with all the humbleness and devotion and instantly decided to use it !

Will do my best to upload all happenings on carnatic music in Mumbai.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

BHERI organising a carnatic cocert series by VR Dileepkumar  at Bombay on Feb 5,6 and 7.

5th Feb : Bhakta Sangham Hall , Saayi Dhaam , Mullund West 6:30 pm

6th Feb : Karnataka Hall , New Panvel, 6:30 pm

7th Feb : Rotary Club Hall, Behind Navjivan Hospital , Near Chaar Rasta , Dombivilli West 6:30 pm

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Balaji - that picture of the saint is lovely - I like it all the more because it seems to accurately capture my mental image of him - as a rather emaciated, but radiant personality.

S.Balaji

Re: Concerts in Mumbai

Post by S.Balaji »

AT CHEMBUR FINE ARTS :

20.2.10 Unnikrishnan - Vocal - 6.30 pm
21.2.10 Shahshank - Flute - 6.05 pm

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

A Jugalbandi organised by Indo -American Society was performed at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chowpatty on 19th feb 2010 . The artists who performed were :

Snehal Mazoomdar - Santoor
Narayan Mani - Veena
Suresh Padmanabhan - Violin
Raghavendra Rao - Flute
Shyam sundar - Mridangam
Anirban - Tabla

Snehal started by playing the Raga Vasant in Hindustani followed by Narayan Mani on the Veena and as the concert picked up pace, Shri Thyagaraja's kriti Shiva Shiva was played in Raga Bandhuva

The hall was full house even 30 minutes before the programme started and the concert lasted for around 1 hour. Snehal- Narayan Mani combination was quite interesting with each one complementing by sound application of Hindustani and Carnatic ragas.

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

MARCH 10 PROGRAMMES

Programme in Shanmukananda Hall

6.3.10 - Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy at 6pm accompanied by Shri S.V.Ramendran on Violin and Shri Shankaranarayanan on Mridungam

NCPA

13.3.10- Shri Lalgudi GJRK and GJV at NCPA for Banyan

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

MARCH 10 PROGRAMMES

Programme in Shanmukananda Hall

6.3.10 -

9-30 am - Ms. Shakuntala Narasiman

6-00 pm - Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy accompanied by Shri S.V.Ramendran on Violin and Shri Shankaranarayanan on Mridungam
Actually, the programme is to honour Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy. After a couple songs, his student Ms. Sharadha will be singing

NEHRU CENTRE - WORLI
12.3.10 - Smt. Sudha Raghunathan - 6.30 PM ( for Dhakshinanayan , Banyan Tree )

NCPA

13.3.10- Shri Lalgudi GJRK and GJV at NCPA for Banyan

Nehru Centre
20-Mar-10 6 pm Bombay Jayashree - Jugal Concert with Shuba Mudgal

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy was honoured by Shanmukananda Fine arts on 6th March 2010 at Shanmukananda Hall in the presence of the Governor of Maharashtra Shri Shankara Narayanan. Shri Nedunuri was presented with Shanmukananda eminence award for his outstanding contribution to Shastriya Sangeetham for more than 60 years. Shri Nedunuri , in his thanks giving speech, appreciated the Sabha for its role in developing classical music and arts in Mumbai and also recollected the olden days when he had performed below the same stage covered by a small roof . He also mentioned that it is befitting that the first recipient of this award by Shri Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer , his manaseeka Guru.
Smt. Sharadha, a student of Shri Nedunuri performed a vocal concert accompanied by Mr. Shankara Narayanan on the Mridangam and Mr. S.V.Ramachandran on the Violin.

The programme started with chanting of vedic hyms by children from Vedic college , Nerul . The representatives from various temples in Mumbai honoured both the Governor and Nedunuri followed by mementos by various Fine arts and sabhas in Mumbai

I have covered the highlights of the event : http://carnaticmusicmumbai.blogspot.com ... ation.html

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Further updates on programmes in Mumbai and Nehru Centre :

12.3.10. - Ms. Jayanti Kumaresh - Veena and Ms. Malachandrasekhar - Flute

12.3.10 - Ms. Sudha Raghunathan

13.3.10 - Shri. Nedunuri Krishnamurthy along with Malladi Brothers

13.3.10 - Shri Lalgudi GJRK and GJRV

For both the days the timing is still not confirmed and hence pls contact : 9324143598 for Banyan Tree organisers .

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

On 20.3.10, at Nehru Centre, Worli, there will be a Jugal programme at 6 pm and following are the artists :

Ms. Bombay Jayashree and Ms. Shuba Mudgal - Vocal

Shri. Embar Kannan - Violin

Shri. Poongulam Subramaniam - Mridangam

Shri. Sudhir Nayak - Harmonium

Shri. Anish Pradhan - Tabla

Prince Rama Verma performs a vocal concert on 20.3.10 organised by Chembur Fine arts .

Accompaniments :

Shri Shankaranarayanan - Mridangam

Shri R.Madhavan - Violiln

Shri Sakthyadaran - Ghatam

21.3.10 - 6 pm MUSIC CONCERT
 (In association with MUSIC FORUM,SUBURBAN CHAPTER)

Kum. Trivandrum N.J.NANDINI : Vocal
(Disciple of Dr.S.Bhagyalakshmi & Smt.Parassala Ponnammal)
(Prof.Kumarakerala Varma &Smt.Bombay Jayashree)
Sri Manjoor RANJITH : VIOLIN
Sri Guruvayoor SANOJ : Mridangam
Sri Manjoor UNNIKRISHNAN : Ghatam
Venue; AEC SCHOOL No.1 (Opp. Bhagirathy Bldg.)
Kum. Nandini(17) is the grand daughter of the great Vidwan late Vechur Harihara Subramania Iyer. At this young age she has performed about 300 concerts, won more than 250 prizes and awards including the prestigious Ragarathnam YUVA award of AMRITA TV reality show which was judged by top musicians of carnatic music.

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

PROGRAMMES FOR APRIL 2010

Dombivli Fine arts

3-4-10 - Sattur Sisters - 6 pm
Shri Jayakumar - Mridangam
Shri Harihara Subramaniam - Ghatam
Ms. Neela Jayakumar - Violin ( student of Shri M.Chandrasekhar and Ms. Kanyakumari )

Bhakta Rasika Ranjani Sabha - Anushakti Nagar

4-4-10 - Sattur Sisters - Vocal - 6 pm

Rasika Ranjani Sabha - Ghatkopar

14-4-10 - Flute by Shri Ramesh Krishnan - 6 pm
Shri Santosh Guhe - Tabla
Followed by prize distribution for the music competition held earlier

Other sabhas' details will be updated soon

prashant

Post by prashant »

The 6th Shri S. U. Sitaram Memorial Concert will be held on October 23, 2010, at the Sivaswamy Auditorium in The Fine Arts Cultural Centre, Chembur, Mumbai.

The previous performers in this series have been Sangita Kalanidhis Shri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy and Smt. R. Vedavalli, Shri N. Vijay Siva, Bombay Smt. Jayashri and Shri N. Vijay Siva / Shri T. M. Krishna peforming a special concert as a duo.

This year, we are happy to present a vocal recital by Vidushi Smt. V. Sumithra.

She will be accompanied on the violin by Shri R. K. Shriramkumar, on the mrudangam by Shri K. Arun Prakash and on the khanjira by Shri B. S. Purushotham.

Mumbai rasikas, please mark this event on your calendars. Reminders and updates will be provided closer to the time of the concert.
Last edited by prashant on 02 Apr 2010, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.