Concerts in Mumbai

Concerts and other events related to CM.
rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Wow!! Prashant.. that is surely an event to drool over... I am hoping I am in town and not away on work..
Thanks

prashant

Post by prashant »

bilahari wrote:Wow, Prashant, what a combination! If a recording isn't made available... [insert threat of your choice].
I get to choose my own threats? We live in enlightened times :-) :-)

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

prashant wrote:
bilahari wrote:Wow, Prashant, what a combination! If a recording isn't made available... [insert threat of your choice].
I get to choose my own threats? We live in enlightened times :-) :-)
lol ;-) ..We sure do my friend. Enlightened, tongue-in-cheek times nonetheless.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Vijay Siva & T.M.Krishna is scheduled to perform on June 28th in Sri Krishna Gana Sabha chennai !! So, chennai folks might get to hear this combo ahead of mumbai folks!!!!!

-hari

prashant

Post by prashant »

s_hari wrote:So, chennai folks might get to hear this combo ahead of mumbai folks!!!!!
-hari
Great! Do post a report... actually, I might be in attendance for this concert myself :-)

cienu

Post by cienu »

s_hari wrote:Vijay Siva & T.M.Krishna is scheduled to perform on June 28th in Sri Krishna Gana Sabha chennai !! So, chennai folks might get to hear this combo ahead of mumbai folks!!!!!

-hari
I hope this does not turn out to be a Faux Pas like last year, when the dates were announced but unfortunately never took off.

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi everybody,
i performed at shanmukhananda fine arts society yesterday as part of the talent promotion concert series. though the organisers expressed that due to my surname 'damle' some members initially were little confused as to whether i play carnatic or hindustani flute, they did clarify that it was carnatic!! nevertheless, concert was well attended and was quite encouraging, this being my first concert in mumbai! i was accompanied by Vidushi. Sharada Murali on viloin, Vidwan Karthik Srinivasan on mrudanga and Vidwan Venkatesh on morsing who did a wonderful job.

not sure if anyone from the forum was able to attend..... but thanks for the wishes from u all, prashant in particular, for all the info he provided!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Niranjan - Good luck to you. Names and Look matters to a society which profiles

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Niranjan

Congratulations on your performance. With a surname like "Damle" definitely there must have been a confusion. So do you have a story to tell us as to how you got interested in carnatic music?

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

actually it IS a story!! i've been born and brought up in bangalore till my age of 22. when i was in my 4th or 5th standard i had learnt carnatic vocal for about 6months from a lady in my neighbourhood. she got married and shifted to some other place, after which my lessons stopped. when i was in my 7th standard (that was in 1989), one of my classmates used to sing very well. so my mother spoke to her mom and gathered info about her guru.

one evening after i came back from school my mom took me to this guru saying that my music classes would start under him. we went there, mom spoke at length with guruji and fixed up an auspicious date to start. then, my mom asked guruji that where we should buy the 'flute'? to that guruji said "i'll arrange a flute for him, u just send a book and other things needed for the pooja". hearing this i got confused as to why the 'flute' came into the discussion!!!

on the way back home, i fought with my mom all the way saying that i wanted to learn vocal and was totally annoyed that she'd put me for learning flute. to that my mom replied "just start learning, if you do not like it we shall see what to do later on". So there started my association with the flute and my flute master Shri. B. Shankara Rao. first 2 or 3 years i attended classes more as a routine affair. but with time, i grew closer to my guru and music. so that's been my side of the story, a maharashtrian born and educated in bangalore, back in mumbai and performing carnatic music!!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Niranjan,
very intersting. Sorry I could not make it to your concert;do keep us posted about your future concerts.Will try to attend.My best wishes.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Very nice to hear your story of being drawn into music, Niranjan. Enjoy your music ! Please share some of it with us.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Niranjan

Hmmm. ..., Normally I thought school age children take a fancy towards instruments rather than vocal. You must have really liked vocal as you seem to have got interested in it with just few months of lessons. Do you still practice vocal?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Niranjan, glad to note your concert went off successfully. Please do upload some clips for our benefit.
You do have an interesting tale about getting interested in flute!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Congrats Niranjan. Sorry, I was abroad and could not make it. Please upload some clips if possible...

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

sramaswamy wrote:Niranjan

Hmmm. ..., Normally I thought school age children take a fancy towards instruments rather than vocal. You must have really liked vocal as you seem to have got interested in it with just few months of lessons. Do you still practice vocal?
Actually i don't know if i got interested in vocal, because i was attending classes because my mother reminded me to!! may be just that i had prior exposure to it, i was expecting to be put into vocal lessons and i didn't know the insturmental side of music!! as u mentioned, may be i got into actual 'school age' only by 7th Std!!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Mumbaikars, please note the following weather warning:
http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/7524729/107 ... d_Advisory
The "Tide of the Century" may hit Mumbai on 24th July 2009.
Mumbai could be facing a re-enactment of the catastrophe that devastated life and property four years ago - perhaps on the very same dates. While the severity of the flooding would probably be unabated, better preparedness and closer co-ordination among government bodies, corporate & general public can help in minimizing its impact.
Last edited by ragam-talam on 06 Jul 2009, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

venkatr

Post by venkatr »

Can someone update the schedule for the next 2 -3 months, for Chembur Fine Arts, Shanmukhananda, BRRS and other sabhas. Usually all the sabhas organise concerts in Aug / Sep around the independence day, Avani Avittam and Ganesh Chaturthi time. W0uld help plan visits to Mumbai . Also does anyone know the festival schedule for October 2009 - I heard there is some festival being organised by Shanmukhananda.

Looking forward to the scehdule.

Thanks in Advance

Venkat
Last edited by venkatr on 11 Jul 2009, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

15th August - Unnikrishnan 4 hours 6 pm concert in Fine arts chembur
16th August - Priya sisters 6 pm Shanmukhananda
12th September - Sowmya 6.30 pm Shanmukananda
13th September - Prema Rangarajan ""
25th September - Nithyashree Mahadevan 7 pm Shanmukhananda
9th October - Sikkil Gurucharan 7 pm Shanmukhananda
12th October - Sanjay Subramaniam - 7 pm Shanmukhananda
17th October - Vijay Shiva and Tm Krishna in FIne arts

I also heard Malladi Bros are singing in BARC in October

Saketaraman and Suryaprakash,Bombay sisters,Mambalam sisters among others are singing in Nerul SIES campus for Navarathri

I will post details if I get.
Last edited by anandabhairavi on 12 Jul 2009, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Shanmukhananda Festival is from 9th October started by Sikkil Gurucharan
10th Hemamalini - dance
11th pandit Jasraj
12th Sanjay
13th & 14th T.V. Varadarajan tamil dramas
Last edited by anandabhairavi on 12 Jul 2009, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

venkatr

Post by venkatr »

Thanks Anandabhairavi. Please update whenever you get more details.Apparently the lineup is completely that of youngsters (except Bomay sisters).

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

yes Venkatsir Bombay sisters and Suryaprakash are of old brigade ,others are young I guess !

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

anandabhairavi, could you please update the Events Calendar ( http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... vents.html ). If you do not have 'edit' permission, please send in an email to admin. Detais are in the above referred thread. Thanks.

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi everybody,
I'll be performing at the Bhandup Fine arts for their monthly programme on Saturday, 19th September 2009 (6pm). I'll be accompanied by Sri. S.V. Ramachandran on Violin,Sri. K.B. Ganesh on Mrudanga and Sri. Shaktidaran on Ghatam. Hope to see some of our mumbai rasikas for this concert. Will confirm venue details in due course.

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Essar Hall, Shanmukhananda Sabha, Bhaudaji Rd Extn, Matunga, Mumbai
=======================================================
Prashant Prasad - Vocal
Sivakumar Anantharaman - Violin
Rajesh Srinivasan - Mridangam
Smt. Lalitha Ramachandran - Tambura

sadA bAlarUpApi - shlOkam from subrahmaNya bhujAngam - hamsadhwani
1. ErA nApai - tODi - Adi - kothavAsal vEnkaTarAmayyar [S]
2. sAkEta nagaranAtha - harikAmbhOji - rUpakam - maisUr sadASiva rAu
[N, S at rAjitA amara] [preceded by shlOkam - ApadAma ...]
3. dEvi brOva - chintAmaNi - Adi [2] - shyAma sAstry
4. raghupatE rAma - sahAna - rUpakam - thyAgarAja [R, N, S] [N and S
at niravadi sukhadA apramEya]
5. aparAdhamula - darbAr - khanDa chApu - thyAgarAja [S]
6. praNathArthiharAya - sAmantha - Adi - MD
7. kAmAkshi gauri - sAvEri - Adi [2] - pApanAsam sivan [R, N, S] [N
and S at Amo unakku yen mIdu parAmukham] [preceded by a shloka whose words I do not recall]
8. tonDru nigazhnda - bhairavi - tishragati Adi - subrahmaNya bhArati
9. gOdhULi dUsarita kOmala kuntalAgram - verse from krishNa
karNAmrutam in Anandabhairavi, dhanyAsi, yadukula kAmbhOji and bEhAg
10. pAhi krishNa vAsudEva - bEhAg - rUpaka - maisUr vAsudEvAchAr
11. thillAna - sindhubhairavi - Adi - MDR
12. patiki hArati - suraTi - Adi - thyAgarAja
13. mAmava paTTAbhirAma - maNirangu - chApu - MD

Personal highlights were excellent neraval and swaras for the harikAmbhOji and sAvEri suites and the emotive dEvi brOva samayamidE. Wonderful accompaniment by the violinist and mridangist. Violin alapana of sAvEri by Sivakumar was particularly superlative. kAmAkshi gaurI was at a very appropriate pace and sung with passion. All in all a wonderful evening of quality music for 2 hrs and 15 mins.

The concert was under the auspicies of PADAM, a oraganisation from Vile Parle (W) - Mumbai
Last edited by arunsri on 03 Aug 2009, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Way to go, Prashant! Any samplings? As expected, a solid but varied list.
That durbAr kruti is something I haven't heard.

Anusri,
That neraval lineline: what is the first word?

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks arasi - here is the link to Ravi's translation of kAmAkshi gauri: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... sivan.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arunsri wrote: 9. gOdhULi dUsarita kOmala kuntalAgram - verse from krishNa
karNAmrutam in Anandabhairavi, dhanyAsi, yadukula kAmbhOji and bEhAg
Prashanth
Looking at the songlist itself gives an insight that you are a disciple of Smt Vedavalli. Just curious about the karNAmrutham , is it the same that semmangudi mAmA sings or is it different. I think this karNarutham is by LeelAsukhar, very emotive one.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 04 Aug 2009, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

This slOka was very often sung by Smt. DKP as a prelude to pAhi pAhi jaganmOhana krishNA. As far I know, Semmangudi Mama has not sung it...

Here are the words of the slOka: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... sloka.html
Last edited by prashant on 04 Aug 2009, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

prashant wrote:Rajesh - who is Smt. MB?

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... sloka.html
I meant Smt Vedavalli. Thanks for your lyrics link
Last edited by rajeshnat on 04 Aug 2009, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Oh sorry Rajesh! I was confused about the initials and now I understand what you meant :-)

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Prashant, would you be willing to share the recording perhaps? I really liked to concert list..Sorry I couldnt be there. Actually I dint know but was out of town anyways.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Prashant - awesome!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Prashant, another concert with rare pieces. I have never heard the Bharathiyar composition before. Please do forward a recording if you have one and are willing to upload.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Bilahari.
DKP popularized this song 'engaL tAi' on bhArata mAtA: tonRu nigazhndadanaittum uarndiDu SUzh kalaivANargaLum,
ivaL enRu piRandavaL enRuNarAda iyalbinaLAm engaL tAi!

How glorious, the way Barati portrayed Mother India!

vijay

Post by vijay »

I was there too. One of Prashant's best and a marked improvement over the 1 year I have been listening to his music. An explosive start with Thodi varnam and Saketa Nagara Natha leading upto one of the best Saveris I have heard in recent times. Excellent accompaniment too...

venkatr

Post by venkatr »

Prashant ,

Seems to have been a very good concert especially the setlist . very good choice and also the main krithi. Was in Mumbai but did not know about your concert - missed it. Will be back in Mumbai next weekend for a couple of weeks - Are you giving any concerts during the next days?

Venkat

prashant

Post by prashant »

As posted earlier, the 5th Sri S. U. Sitaram Memorial concert will be held at the Sivaswamy Auditorium, Fine Arts Society, Chembur, Mumbai, on October 17, 2009. We have a change in the line-up of artistes. Due to unavoidable circumstances, Vidvan Sri R. K. Shriramkumar will be unable to make it. We are happy to announce that Vidushi Kum. Amritha Murali will play the violin for this concert.
Last edited by prashant on 06 Aug 2009, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

There is a wonderful video rendering of TOndru Nigazhnda in you tube by Nithyashree mahadevan.
Last edited by anandabhairavi on 06 Aug 2009, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Nice song list Prashant. almost anjali to DKP amma!!
Last edited by anandabhairavi on 06 Aug 2009, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi everybody,
I'm performing a flute recital at the Bhandup Fine arts today evening (Saturday, 19th Sept.) from 6.30pm to 9pm. The venue is Bright High School, Usha Nagar, Behind Janta market, Bhandup (W). It'll be nice if you can attend the concert.

Niranjan

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi,
As informed earlier, I performed at the Bhandup Fine arts yesterday. The krithis i played are as below. My accompanying artists were -

Violin - Sri. S.V.Ramachandran
Mrudanga - Sri. Rajesh Srinivasan
Ghatam - Sri. M.R.Sakthidharan

1. varnam - navarAgamAlike - Patnam Subramanya Iyer - AditAla
2. vinAyakAninnu - hamsadhwani - Veena Kuppaiyer - AditAala (Swaraprasthara at ParamakrupA sAgara)
3. bhajare mAnasa - gowla - Muttuswamy dikshitar - AditAla
4. OrajUpuchu - kannada Gowla - Tyagaraja - AditAla
5. deva deva kalayAmithe - mAyAmAlavagowla - Swati tirunal - Rupaka tala (swara at deva deva)
6. mokshamugaladA - sAramati - Tyagaraja - AditAla
7. raghuvamshasudhA - kadanakutUhala - Patnam Subramanya Iyer - AditAla
8. pakkala nilabadi - kharaharapriya - tyagaraja - Mishra chhApu (neraval and swara at charanam 'tanuvu soukhya') followed by an excellent thani avarthanam by the percussionists
9. pAlisemma muddu shArade - kAnada - kanakadAsa - AditAla
10. Themmangu (popularized by T.R. Mahalingam)
11. mAnasa sancharare - sAma - sadAshiva bramhendra - AditAla
12. raghupati rAghava rajArAm & mangalam

prashant

Post by prashant »

Very nice list Niranjan. Sorry I'm not in Mumbai, otherwise would have been there! Isn't #3 bhajarE mAnasa in gauLa a composition of Walajahpet Venkataramana Bhagavathar?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Niranjan Damle wrote: 2. vinAyakAninnu - hamsadhwani - Veena Kuppaiyer - AditAala (Swaraprasthara at ParamakrupA sAgara)
9. pAlisemma muddu shArade - kAnada - kanakadAsa - AditAla
10. Themmangu (popularized by T.R. Mahalingam)
niranjan damle
Very nice song selection, I have not heard #9 and #10 at all. Is themmangu quite similiar to kavadichindu .vinAyakA ninnuvinA brOcuTaku is by E.V.Ramakrishna Bhagavatar

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi prashant and rajesh,
thank you for the feedback. will definitely re-check the composers of those 2songs and let you know. themmangu is similar to kavadichindu and is a shorter version.
item #9 is a dAsara pada composed by kanaka dasa who's synonymous with udupi srikrishna temple and is believed to have got the krishna idol there turn by 180deg to get a darshan when he was not allowed into the temple. even to this day, the huge hole through which u see the krishna idol at the udupi temple is called 'kanakana kindi' (in kannada, named after the saint)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat wrote: Is themmangu quite similiar to kavadichindu
Rajesh - I think HKMB has composed temAngu songs (I think Smt. Nityashree has rendered one - 'Sankaran SEr peNmayilE, anataranga mAmayilE')- heavily flavored with nATTupura music. While the cindus are also folksy, as I understand it, the cindu is identified more by the rhythm - a sort of pick-me-up if you will, to uplift the flagging spirits of weary pilgrims as they went from one paDaivIDu to another, carrying kAvaDis.
Last edited by rshankar on 20 Sep 2009, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Niranjan,
Nice to know you gave another performance. Good selection of songs.

Rajesh,
pAlisamma muddu SaradE is very popular in Karnataka. Haven't heard it in kAnaDa though. M.S. Sheela sings it in brundAvana sAranga, I think.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

I am coming to Mumbai to perform for SAketaraman on 26th and R.Suryaprakash on 27th at Shanmukhananda's Navratri Celebrations to be held at Vashi i think ...
M.R.Gopinath would be on violin

J.Balaji

Niranjan Damle

Post by Niranjan Damle »

Hi Balaji,
Do let me know the venue at Vashi, will try to attend.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Balaji,
Good to know you are playing for two concerts in Mumbai--one accompanying another forumite--our Suryaprakash.
Interesting that of the hilarity duo, aravuk kO (Erode NAgaraj) is playing for another forumite in Chennai. Chennai Mumbai pairing again. Prashant is singing in Chennai on Sunday with Nagaraj's accompaniment. Do not know who plays the violin. Last time, it was our Ram who played for Prashant in Chennai. Any information on this so that Chennai rasikAs can attend?