Invitation to a discourse titled "Thyagaraja's vision of lord rama"

Concerts and other events related to CM.
kaakutstha

Invitation to a discourse titled "Thyagaraja's vision of lord rama"

Post by kaakutstha »

Most esteemed rasikas,

This is to bring to your esteemed notice a unique and rare 4-day pravachanam titled "Saint Thyagaraja's vision of Lord Rama" in Telugu by one of the eminent exponents of our ancient Indian wisdom by name Samavedam Shanmukha Sarma on 19th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd of October 2019 between 6.30 pm and 8.15 pm at Infosys Hall of Ramakriahna Hr. Sec. School, T. Nagar, Chennai. This event is being initiated by my 91-year old grandfather Shri Kakarla Janakirama Avadhani (whose"intipEru" or housename is same as saint thyagaraja's) and is happening under the auspices of Sarvani Sangeetha Sabha. Here is the link to kAnchi jagadguru's anugraha bhAshaNam for this program https://youtu.be/IWSa3oAYWWY

As carnatic music lovers, you would certainly appreciate the momentousness of this event. "Sangeethamapi saahithyam saraswathyaahaa sthana dwayam" (i.e., Music and poetry are the two breasts of Goddess Saraswathi) goes an antique Vedic pronouncement. This pravachanam is mainly intended to make the musicians as well as rasikas well-informed about thyagaraja sahityam. For example, the choice and novelty of words used by thyagaraja are noteworthy. To name a few, He uses ripughna to mean shatrughna in many songs (e.g., EvaramaDuguthurA - kalyANi). Similarly, he uses surasAripu (i.e., in jagadAnandakAraka) to denote lord AnjanEya as being the enemy of surasA who obstructed his crossing of the ocean. Thyagaraja's songs are rife with such novel words. Language-savvy musicians and rasikas are more likely to benefit from this event. Furthermore, important details in the lifetime of thyagaraja and the context in which He composed some of the songs will also be discoursed upon.

I request all your esteemed selves residing in and around chennai to grace this event with your august presence and also share this news with as many as possible.

Respectfully yours,
V. Venkatanagarajan

ajaysimha

Re: Invitation to a discourse titled "Thyagaraja's vision of lord rama"

Post by ajaysimha »

best wishes to the program!
if you are recording the upanyasm please post it for benefit of non Chennai residents.

regards,
ajay simha