ICMAP presents Vid. Abhishek Raghuram in concert (video accessible until April 12)

Concerts and other events related to CM.
VijayR

ICMAP presents Vid. Abhishek Raghuram in concert (video accessible until April 12)

Post by VijayR »

Dear Friends,

By popular demand, the Indian Classical Music Association of Purdue (ICMAP) presented a re-premiere today of one of our stellar concerts from November 2020, by the inimitable Vid. Abhishek Raghuram. Abhishek was accompanied by Vid. J. B. Sruthi Sagar on the flute, Vid. K. Sai Giridhar on the mridangam and Vid. S. Krishna on the ghatam.

Here is the link to the concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufRiAwFp3s

The video will be available online until 7pm (Indian Standard Time)on Monday, April 12, 2021. Please don't miss this firecracker of a concert.

The main piece was a superb ragamalika featuring Jayadeva's first Ashtapadi - "Pralaya Payodhi Jale." Please enjoy this concert from ICMAP.

rajeshnat

Re: ICMAP presents Vid. Abhishek Raghuram in concert (video accessible until April 12)

Post by rajeshnat »

Hmmm
May be I have heard possibly 75 live concerts of abhishek . In that may be 20 concerts i have had a chance to hear RTP. I think only once or twice i have heard him sing Taanam in very early years. Mostly he gives taanam to akkarai or shrikanth. He always outsources taanam to violinist. In this concert prior to jayadeva asHtapadi Abhishek Sings brief less than 2 minute taanam- that is a miracle that VijayR got it for us .

@VijayR - I want more detailed taanam only from abhishek, he has obliged for you by singing at last taanam which he has never done for atleast few decades, only when you arrange concerts he sings taanam . Others hear the miracle https://youtu.be/TufRiAwFp3s?t=4021

I only heard the alapana , brief taanam and ashtapadi , Well done Abhishek especially all the coffee part of ragamaliga.....Once I heard Shruthisagar and Abhishek combo in NGS (review is here) , i was then 50 50 as i am not a fan of any thing other than violin as accompaniment .If my memory is right that day the poorvikalyani blow of Shruthisagar was brilliant . One has to give it to shruthisagar keeping the blow bit recessive and not dragging and he catches all things thrown by the main maverick singer . He is challenging violin well done. Is GNB-Flute Mali getting an avatar as Abhishek-ShruthiSagar??

Sai Giridhar is brilliant , if i aurally hear him ,i always hear a patri only. Dunno why. well done S. Krishna on ghatam. Nice to hear music even if the seeing part is distracting as being at home is a reality The irritation at home is the coffee hot aura is disturbed by cold look of fellow folks at home , calling bell and phone ringing at home

ashtapadi has atleast ashTa distractions at home. .Personally 30 plus years back when i was stressed in preparing for 12th standard , i used to repeatedly hear Maharajapuram santhanam singing Anila tharala , jayadeva asthapadi in rare ragam by name vishwapriya . Now i am hearing sun and moon difference with this ashtapadi as main as a ragamaliga.One has to give it to Abhishek creativity for taking jayadeva's first Ashtapadi - "Pralaya Payodhi Jale." as a main.

Carnatic Music lives only with live manodharmam , preperation and onspot chemistry. Thank you Abhishek-Shrutisagar-Sai Giridhar-Skrishna

VijayR

Re: ICMAP presents Vid. Abhishek Raghuram in concert (video accessible until April 12)

Post by VijayR »

rajeshnat wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 16:20 Hmmm
May be I have heard possibly 75 live concerts of abhishek . In that may be 20 concerts i have had a chance to hear RTP. I think only once or twice i have heard him sing Taanam in very early years. Mostly he gives taanam to akkarai or shrikanth. He always outsources taanam to violinist. In this concert prior to jayadeva asHtapadi Abhishek Sings brief less than 2 minute taanam- that is a miracle that VijayR got it for us .

@VijayR - I want more detailed taanam only from abhishek, he has obliged for you by singing at last taanam which he has never done for atleast few decades, only when you arrange concerts he sings taanam . Others hear the miracle https://youtu.be/TufRiAwFp3s?t=4021
Haha... thank you @rajeshnat! It was a most unexpected (and pleasant) surprise when I heard the first cut of the recording a few months ago! Next kutchery, I'll convey that request. :-)

That ragamalika Ashtapadi was truly a shining gem.

We have some more surprises coming up... stay tuned. :-)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Did i get all the ragas right of this ragamalika ashtapadi ,considering I have lost touch of almost all my dearest ragas of Carnatic Music

Nattai??? + Kapi + Hameerkalyani + Hamsanandi + ranjani

About 4 years back in a village near kumbakonam (tippirajapuram) concert which i reviewed , that day vidwan Hyderabad N Ramamoorthy tried something called RPS (Raga Pallavi and Swaras) It was just a quick medlay of ragamaliga of say 5 ragas just singing popular palllavi krithi and swaras of the raga, that was indeed catchy for many. Similiarly this is a great attempt to bring and showcase ashtapadi in a different musical dimension, after all only when a musician elaborates ,then we all rasikas would know how it can turn out to be