Karunamruda Sagaram by Abraham Pandithar

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
T.L. SUBRAMANIAM

Post by T.L. SUBRAMANIAM »

During 1980s when I was in compilation of an article on 'Musicotherapy', I have visited Saraswathi Magal, Tanjore, I was fortunate of going through the book on Carnatic Music, "KARUNAMRUDA SAGARAM" written by Abraham Pandithar (consists of two parts, totalling to more than 800 pages). I could spend there only one week. At least we should spend one year, is just enough to understand the subject headings. Then see the contents in it!!!! At that time, my age was in only 20s, but I was stunned to go through such a great compilation work on Carnatic Music, which I never seen such a great compilation.

This Book, is surely an out of print only. Such type of great work, should not go unidentifiably. It is the duty of Carnatic Music Poshakas, Lovers, Rasikas to throw a light on those rarest books and make people to understand such great work. I can even vouch, the Big Vidwans also would have not gone through such a book.

Probably, it can also be available in other than Saraswathi Magal - in Adyar Library, Chennai and in Maraimalai Adigal Library, Linghi Chetty Street, Parry's Corner. This type of book should be kept in E-Library and to update those informations and pass them on to next generation.

Since this involves much brainy & hard work, enthusiasm, time devotion etc. Any PG Music Students can take this as their Doctorate Subject and do throw light on the book. Please note my mail id: tlssubra@yahoo.com Any body wishes to mail any comments on this, are most welcome. Now, I am in Sharjah, UAE

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

Thanks for introducing this subject. It is high time that someone should seriously think of reprinting such gems of CM which otherwise might be lost to posterity

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have a copy of the big volume 1 of Karunamruta Sagaram which has only theory and commentary. I have volume 2 as well, one that has his compositions in notation, many in rare ragas.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

During my recent visit to Tanjore, I visited the Palace. It was the Republic Day, so the library was closed. Needlesstosay, I was disappointed, I wanted to spend a few hours browsing the rare books though I would not have had time to read any of them deeply.

Is it like a regular library where you can check out books or it is only a reference library? If someone can write about what is available in the library, that will be great.

The museums in the palace complex were open. We have heard that King Serfoji was a musical scholar and patron. That aspect of the King was not captured in the museum display except for a few displays of musical instruments of the palace and some musical notations in western music notation ( without any context ). I have some pictures which I can share if anyone is interested.

Lakshman, is there information on when Abraham Pandithar wrote those books? Also, when were those two volumes published?

vasanthakokilam

I just found the official web site of the library: http://www.sarasvatimahallibrary.tn.nic.in/ . This answers some of the questions I had.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The books I have-the first volume was published in 1917 and volume 2 in 1946.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Lakshman.

vidya

Post by vidya »

Asian Educational services had reprinted the Tanjavur editions (the one that Lakshmanji refers to) in 2002. But the two titles are out of print. However per their website http://www.asianeds.com a book titled Extracts from Karunamirtha sagaram Book I is
still available for sale. More recently, I heard Via Dr.N.Ramanathan that a descendant of Panditar, Dr.Amutha Pandian (who I understand is a lecturer in Tanjavur) has released a book titled, 'Analysis of the Karunamirtha Sagaram'. I have not able to locate the whereabouts of the publisher but found a newsitem in The Hindu pertaining to the release of the book: www.hindu.com/2007/09/01/stories/2007090160960600.htm

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum

Vasanthakokilam, please be so kind as to E mail me your research and photos
from Tanjore Sarasvathi Mahal Library
I was there in 1982 as well to do research on rare thalas
i love the place, it smells of greatness and wisdom

Thank
Aum

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

The Tamil Virtual University has an online version of the Karunamirtha Sagaram - this appears to be vol. 1 as I don't see any compositions or notation.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

panDitar was a classmate of the king, and was estranged from him, as A. panditar composed only on themes/deities of his choice.. he has composed a kuravanji entitled bethlehem kuravanji..!

gn.sn42

Re:

Post by gn.sn42 »

vidya wrote: More recently, I heard Via Dr.N.Ramanathan that a descendant of Panditar, Dr.Amutha Pandian (who I understand is a lecturer in Tanjavur) has released a book titled, 'Analysis of the Karunamirtha Sagaram'. I have not able to locate the whereabouts of the publisher but found a newsitem in The Hindu pertaining to the release of the book: www.hindu.com/2007/09/01/stories/2007090160960600.htm
A book by Amutha Pandian called Karunamirtha Sagaram (A Brief Critical Edition) appears to be available at the Karnatic Music Books Centre:
http://carnaticbooks.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=789

This appears to be a different book from the one mentioned in the Hindu; but may be of interest (and the publisher may provide more information on the Analysis book).

Pandianp

Re: Karunamruda Sagaram by Abraham Pandithar

Post by Pandianp »

I am Amutha Pandian and the book is almost a simplified version of the Great work. I am posting the following excerpts to just give a glimpse into what the book is all about

KARUNAMIRTHA SAGARAM

1.. Karunamirtha Sagaram: Churrukka Thiranaiu Urai ISBN -13 978-81-920489-0-1 Tamil – Dr Amutha Pandian
2.Karunamirtha Sagaram :A Brief Critical Edition –ISBN 978-81-920489-1-8 English – Dr Amutha Pandian
The price is: copy@Rs 200/-

Copies are available at Karnatic book Center 23-A Sripuram First Street, Royapettah, Chennai-600 014

“It is now more than 90 years since the books of Abraham Pandithar were written…very heartening to see Dr Mrs Amutha Pandian coming out with an abridged version of the book, the original work having run to almost 1500 pages. In taking up this representation of the original work, it becomes the responsibility of Dr. Amutha Pandian to reassess Abraham Pandithar’s contribution on the background of all the research studies done subsequently. This she has done with great diligence and objectivity. One admires the courage of Mrs. Pandian when she humbly submits’The only place where I diverge is the explication of Aaychiyar Kuravai…This is the only place where I dare disagree with Abraham Pandithar’”

- Dr. N. Ramanathan, musicologist, Rtd. Professor and
Head, Dept. of Music, University of Madras

“The present book has four parts…The individual’s critical aptitude is well realized in her explication of the great work”Karunmirtha Sagaram. The subject matter dealt with in four parts have the merit of drawing critical studies, and they can be published as separate books. I am happy to introduce this book since I believe that this book will be highly beneficial to researches in musicology and Tamil language and literature”
-Dr. E. Angayarkanni
Professor and Head
Music Department, Tamil University

Pandithar published the first part of his magnum opus Karunamirtha Sagaram in 1365 pages of ¼ dimmy papers in 1917. It was reprinted in 1994. He made an English copy also of the same, which was reprinted in 1984 by Asian Educational Services. The second part is especially about pann-s (Raagaas).
Karunamirtha Sagaram is an encyclopaedia of details on the life of Tamils their culture, religion and fine arts. Nonetheless the presentation of particulars, the many calculations, the figures of Vattappaalai and the numerous tables are very cumbersome that they demand great attention and steadfast patience. Hours of study are needed before one captures the main line of thinking. Many students and scholars though convinced of the importance of the work do not find time and patience to go through the book. Amutha Pandian, a member of the family, and a great scholar has studied the book in detail, systematized the facts and edited this work to make reading simple and brief. Further she has clarified details with modern research and has footnoted whenever necessary. She has published them in Tamil and in English

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Amudha Pandian Avl,
Welcome to the forum.
It is a really an ocean. Taking dip is impossible.
Expect more useful details from you.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
05 03 2019

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You can download the 896 page English version here:
https://ia801600.us.archive.org/16/item ... am/page/n3

The isai Tamizh Nool is available here:
https://archive.org/details/Karunamirthasagaram/page/n3