Raganidhi by Subba Rao

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
Rsachi

Raganidhi by Subba Rao

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Rasikas,
I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing this magnum opus of Subba Rao published over the years by Madras Music Academy. One or other of the four volumes was always out of print. And now all of them are bordering on extinction so the copies around are precious indeed.

I am interested in joining forces to create a Searchable PDF book version of this encyclopedic compilation by a devoted and erudite scholar. How do we go about it? Should we put it up to someone like Swathi Solutions?
Look forward to your illuminating thoughts.
Thanks,
Sachi R

Lakshman

Re: Raganidhi by Subba Rao

Post by Lakshman »

I don't think one can just compile a pdf file of the 4 volumes and put it on the net. There are copyright laws applicable to these books.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

But of course, sir.That is why I mentioned both the Music Academy and some competent production distribution agency. I basically represent the beneficiary consumer who will 'buy' it.
I think that rasikas.org has become a big enough force to voice such demand and spur some action. I am prepared to join forces both in finances and some proofing efforts.

Google 'Raganidhi Subba Rao'. You will see lots of references. But my efforts to procure copies though for others have failed.

After buying and perusing the 'Oxford Encyclopedia of the Music of India' (Rs.9.6K) recently, I am able to appreciate better the efforts of Subba Rao. His compendium defines excellence.

saarangam

Post by saarangam »

A pdf version of rAganidhi (4 voumes) can be downloaded from the site http://www.musicresearch.in

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Saarangam,
It is a yeoman service. Many thanks.
The site is also a great treasure!!!

By the way I just purchased a three volume Kannada Encyclopedia of Carnatic music written by Dr V S Sampathkumaracharya ( publisher B V K Murthy).
And to think that Sri Subba Rao and Dr VSS lived a mile apart in Mysore!!!

vamsipet

Post by vamsipet »

I found Raganidhi vol 1 & 2 online. Please provide the download link for vol 3 & 4 if available online.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vamsipet

Post by vamsipet »

Thank you Sir