TANJAVUR SANKARA IYER PASSES AWAY

Remembering musicians of the recent past
CRama

TANJAVUR SANKARA IYER PASSES AWAY

Post by CRama »

The carnatic world lost prolific composer musician Tanjavur Sankara Iyer yesterday. Pranams to the great vidwan composer

K Nagarajan

Re: TANJAVUR SANKARA IYER PASSES AWAY

Post by K Nagarajan »

Om Shanti.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

My memories go to Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival. A friend drove us from Toronto just to listen to Sankara Iyer and after the concert, we drove back! Just before the concert, I introduced myself to TSI ( my brother and nephews knew him well in Chennai) and requested him to sing a ThEvaram , because he was one of the few Carnatic Musicians of that time who used to sing them in the traditional paN-s. He hesitated saying it was a Tyagaraja Aradhana Concert. I told him that he could focus on Tyagaraja , but include other composers too as he can verify from the organizers. Besides, that day was Soma vara ( Monday) , being auspicious for Siva!  He did not say anything, but sang 2 ThEvaram-s that day. One was in Megaraga Kurinji ( neelambari) . I don't  remember the other one. Perhaps this is the only concert in history in which ThEvArams were sung in a Thyagaraja Aradhana Concert!

Great personality with a great passion for passing on his musical knowledge to all. without hesitation.

Om Shanthi.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

A great loss to the Karnatak music community. Condolences to the family and friends.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Great loss to CM circle. Noble man but very simple. Condolences to his disciples and family.
Thanjavooran
03 06 2021

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Article in the Hindu. Great loss to CM but at least we have the many gems of compositions he has left us to remember him by. namāmi guru śaṅkaram 🙏🏻

ajit

Post by ajit »

Condolences to the family and disciples. A great vidwan. I heard him in Cleveland too..

ajit

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

I still remember the concert (at IIT-M I think) about 30 years ago or so, where TVS sings the viSnupriya, and acknowledges TSI, who was seated as well.

"bAlasubramanya pAdame" ..fitting resting place

peace and pranAms