Sangita Kalanidhi Prof Sri TN Krishnan

Remembering musicians of the recent past
samskriti

Sangita Kalanidhi Prof Sri TN Krishnan

Post by samskriti »

Extremely saddened to hear the demise of a legendary violinist, Sangita Kalanidhi Prof Sri TN Krishnan today (2nd November 2020) aged 92. One of the last violinists to have accompanied all the yesteryear greats.
May his Atma attain sadgati. _/\_

SrinathK

Re: Sangita Kalanidhi Prof Sri TN Krishnan

Post by SrinathK »

Oh my god! What a disaster is this 2020? The great TNK mama was a link to the era of virtually all known Carnatic music from the early 19th century from Ariyakudi all the way to the present.

What bowing, what a tone, what phrases of sindhubhairavi, surutti, todi, anadabhairavi, kalyani, shankarabharanam, madhyamavati and so on and on and on.

A man ever smiling and in high spirits who seemed ageless, I was sure he would definitely complete a century. But God needed him sooner than later.

The concerts he played at the Academy on Christmas morning and these candid photos! I will never forget How he was virtually a rockstar that day.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1391620998

viewtopic.php?t=32381

Farewell mama! :cry:
Last edited by SrinathK on 02 Nov 2020, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Agree with @SrinathK- indeed this is a year of gloom for CM. Saddened to read about Sri TNK's demise- he presented very pristine renditions. Pray he attains eternal beatitude.🙏🏾

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sahasrakoti pranamam to Sri TN Krishnan. Will be sorely missed.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

At 92, wow. But still so sad for us.

And, almost to the end... yes, star appearance at the Music Academy and travelling the world, still, at least up to last year. But he would also play for an audience of a dozen at a small Krishna temple.

One time there was a power cut. No lights, no fans, no amplifiers. After waiting for a short while, he indicated that he did not need electricity, he would play anyway. As many oil lamps as could be found were gathered, the EB were kind enough not to restore the power the whole evening, resulting in one of the most magical concerts I've ever attended.

One of my first carnatic favourites... farewell, dear TNK sir. His music will fill the heavens now.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Ohh no :(

Another legend gone to play for the Gods. I guess today's concert would be the iconic trio up there - Semmangudi-TNK-PMI.

Om Shanthi.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

What a loss to the world of Carnatic music! Sincere condolences.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Om shAnti!
Sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family and his students from all parts of the world; may the almighty give them the strength to deal with the loss. A very sad loss to the world. May his AtmA attain shAnti. Of course, he will live on through his music, and in our memories.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

A great loss indeed and the end of an era. A giant over many decades. will write more on some personal moments with him in due course but one thought occurs to me: Isn't he the last living violinist to accompany all of the following: Alathur Bros, MDR, MVI, Chembai, Ariyakudi, GNB, Musiri, Semmangudi, Mali - and he did so with all of them in their primes or close to it. The history of CM cannot be written without him prominently mentioned.

Maybe Semmangudi Mama needed more of his sishyas by his side and called PSN and TNK to him.

(I think VVS now may be the only violinist still living to accompany both Ariyakudi and SSI).

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Ohm shanti
Master is no longer with us. Very sad.
Ohm shanti.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Sad day for the world of Carnatic music.

He has been called to teach music

May his soul rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and innumerable shishyas.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I am sad to hear this news! Condolences!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

TNK mama was a connection to virtually the entire 130 year era of recorded CM history having played for vidwans born in the late 19th century all the way till his concerts with his children in the present.

He started out as "Master Krishnan" at the age of 8 and was for long a "grandmaster" by the time I heard him live. My very first introduction to him was his spectacular accompaniment for Ariyakudi and MMI and that was the proveribial "dream team" representing the very best of him. Can't forget the extensive raga alapanas with GNB where mama found an extra gear or two even to go deeper and bring out newer dimensions in his own music. And then there was always his playing for MDR and his own solos. With seeningly simple of phrases, he could haunt your mind with his unique touches to ragas. The sowkhyam as they call it.

No recording of his however could ever do justice to the tone he produced live. That was on a whole other category. I had this feeling that it would literally melt me down with its sweetness and power, I couldn't think of anything when I was all ears. His bow arm, the strongest in the business, was a thing of beauty - to me it must have been the perfect bow arm. It had unparalled longevity. The clarity of articulation of his fingers and shruti shuddham on his playing remained all the way to the concerts I heard last music season.

But to me I felt that mama's greatest achievement of another kind was his ever cheerful and joyful personality well into old age which kept him young as always. I have seen very few people like him at that age. Praying for his atma shanti seems rather silly, it is we who must pray for his blessings from the other side that we also live cheerfully to old age and depart peacefully.

With his passing, the fabled era of the "Holy Trinity" of violinists of MSG sir, Lalgudi mama, and TNK mama has come to a close. All 3 have taken violin playing to heights we could not imagine was possible on Indian violin. I have been fortunate to hear all of them live and they all blew my mind again and again.

Mama's recordings and his disciples will carry on his legacy and keep the memories of that era alive for decades to come!

iamsundar

Post by iamsundar »

Here's a video of TNS honoring the great Sangeetha Kalanidhi T.N. Krishnan sir and talking about the tone of his violin...
https://youtu.be/qox5jzIEuxY (circa 2016 @ SIFA).

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I see a lot of posts talking about his concerts on Dec 25 at the academy. That was a recent thing. He used to be a regular at the academy on Jan 1. It was always a tough choice between Lalgudi at MFAC and TNK at the academy. There were a few regulars like me who would wait for him to wish us a happy new year with that beaming smile and a slight Malayalam accent.

He played an elaborate Harikamboji once and remarked "nijamaana Harikamboji edhu'nu ippo irukkaravaaLukku theriyaNumnu innikku vaasichen". Needless to say tehre wasn't a hint of khamas or karaharapriya or kambhoji in it. every micro second of his alap dripped with Harikamboji.

Many years ago - when I was coming back from a TNK concert - someone asked me - what was new in the concert.
I couldn't answer him then. I was mulling over that question for sometime. If we were to wake up to a beautiful day every day or if we were to watch a VVS Lakshman flick through mid wicket for the nth time or watch Roger Federer hit a backhand kissing the baseline - will we ask "what was new in it?".

It is that thing that is so pristine and effortless that becomes a source of joy that you cherish forever. Why would it matter if am not able to pin point and say what was the new thing that I spotted every time?

Good Bye sir!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I was asked to go and interview Prof. TNK in 2014. I spoke to him a couple of times and travelled to Chennai as arranged. As I was taxiing to his home in Tiruvanmayur, Mrs. TNK called me to say he was unwell and the interview was off.

They did ask me to go again in the December season so I could meet Smt. Viji Krishnan. I think they would have liked her to manage my interview. But my deadline was September so it was called off.

While preparing for the interview I collected enough material to make a spiral-bound volume. I also heard a lot of TNK recordings. This was the main benefit for which I had accepted the assignment so it wasn't a total loss.

I would say Vid. T. N. Krishnan represents the "MOST OPTIMAL" violin temperament and competency for a Carnatic accompanist violinist.

He has described how his father used to make him listen to the radio programmes in a public park in Ernakulam and essentially learn to play ANY KIND of sound and be able to reproduce whatever the stars of that era sang on stage. This gave Vid. TNK a unique level of confidence at an early age. He even hinted that he inherited the mantle from all the violin maestros of that era-Chowdiah, Dwaram, Papa, Rajamanickam Pillai...

He pretty much ruled the roost since late 30s.

His manodharma or accompanist dharma was to be ALWAYS tuneful, pure, supportive, and follow the main artiste. We can easily see why he would have been the automatic choice for the veterans. A bit similar to Sri. Vellore Ramabhadran.

Then the SSI umbrella. Since late 70s or early 80s Sri. TNK accompanied only SSI whom he placed a bit like a guru on his heart.

Of course like everyone else he said the gold standard of CM was set by Sri. Ariyakudi.

I have heard how Vid. Chowdiah had predicted in 40s-50s that of the famous threesome violin geniuses of CM, Sri. TNK would rule the stage longest as he had the most ergonomic and optimal style of play. The added bonus being the tunefulness and purity of music that enshrined the eternal charm of his violin.

He has also left behind many good students. The one I admire is Smt. Charumathi Raghuraman.

Hari Om Tat Sat

chetants

Post by chetants »

My mind races back to the first record ever that I had ever listened comprising of Sri MMI, TNK Sir and VR Sir. Even while hooked to Sri MMI's music, I knew at that time itself, this violin was special. Thereupon started a journey of rasikatwa moving on to all the great masters of yester years. A reply email from the Maestro and an adhoc foto session with him at Singapore airport some 17 years back are my prized possessions....

For lack of better words as I am typing this with a heavy heart, "Eppadi Fiddle pannanum-nu kattitu poyittele, Krishna, Jayarama, Gopalakrishna!". Thank you Gentlemen for those several decades of lovely moments, the scintillating repartees and flashes of brilliance uplifting all of the Rasikas' souls to heavens, albeit for some time.... We are all fortunate to have lived in your lifetimes.... R.I.P Krishnan Sir, Om Shanthi!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The World is poorer by TN Krishnan's demise however old he is he could still play outstanding Violin concerts.The 9:00AM concert on December 25 is legendary and he would play Jungle Bell regularly. At the end of concert he would wish Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.He used to add SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!.

chandelle

TN Krishnan no more

Post by chandelle »

Sad news to wake up to today. TNK was one of my favourite musicians. Lived a healthy, long life and from what I've read, he was alert and active until his demise.

The Carnatic music fraternity is poorer today.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Not to belittle the string of losses this year and earlier, but this has affected me more than the other losses. There was a tonal beauty and an innocence in his approach that was gripping. I looked up to him as a father figure, and felt reassured by his seemingly immovable presence.

Now we have to reckon with the reality that he is no more and an irreplaceable link to a glorious past is gone.

Some consolation that there is a legacy as well as a plethora of recordings, all the more precious and poignant. Every note.

The best way we can celebrate the legacy is by pledging to discharge our own karma, whatever be our endeavors, with utmost shraddha and tapas as did these great masters.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Certainly a great loss to violin world who connected across 5 performing generations . Many talk his expanisve todi , many talk about his medium sized harikambodhi, kamas, bilahari and shuruthi. Lots go ga ga with his shorter versions of behag and most well known sindhubhairavi. But for me it his keeravani. That raga keeravani needs that right press to bring that slight controlled aggression yet retaining the pristine serenity that it possesses.

TNK mama represented sampradaya purity, accompaniment as truest accompaniment and most importantly had that himalayan consistent press and azhuttam to make us hear with sustained attention. Most of the time even though he has played for many many vidwans , i always take up his violin recording whenever I felt like hearing semmangudi on the violin.

When you look at him in 1970s or 1980s to what he was any time in his 2000 plus era , he aged yes but musically or in his looks he maintained a certain charisma that kept all of us amazed.

Om shanthi to TNK . Condolences to His sishyas . Listed few of them They are son sriram , daughter viji and also his sister N Rajam and family. WE have raghavendra Rao, R kailasam and karaikal venkatasubramanian. We also have charumathi Raghuraman , Aishu Venkatraman . Condolences to and all his family members and his extended sishya parampara

From the hindu tribute of TNK
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 006607.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

chetants wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 09:44 My mind races back to the first record ever that I had ever listened comprising of Sri MMI, TNK Sir and VR Sir. Even while hooked to Sri MMI's music, I knew at that time itself, this violin was special. Thereupon started a journey of rasikatwa moving on to all the great masters of yester years.
@chetants
By any chance,I am assuming you are talking about where MMI sings samaja vara gamana with swaras in yaadhava with TNK just brilliantly accompanying with superb clarity and azhuttam . His press was quick ,intense and heavenly like Da da ma gA(yaadava) ... ma dA gA(yaadava).
Cant agree with you more on that one. What a joy it was to hear TNK precise reply to MMI

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

decades back, I bought a cassette and TNK's lilting Niravadhi Sukadha gave me such a feeling beyond words.

I wish I can find and share a speech by one Krishnan on another. SVK speaks during a TNK -TS concert expressing his admiration for TNK's personality and artistry. he makes particular mention of Rama jogi and wonders how even a small uruppadi blossoms at the fingers of the Maestro. at which point TNK says that it is all due to SSI's blessings, great speech.

TNK Sir, grateful for all your music, Rest in peace Sir !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Offer my sincere condolences to the family and disciples! Om Shanti.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Among TNK's students the best Violinist in circuit is Charumati raghuraman.She has a similar tonal quality and very good accompaniment.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Who cannot be moved by this Sindhubhairavi? It's 20 years since I heard it and it still gives me sleepless nights.

https://youtu.be/TBCxYdGnFh8

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

another great master gone but always remembered !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHpLfQqry8E

top stalwarts on this stage !!

fine extempore introduction too !!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The Oli Concert: yes, that was a wonderful experience

RasikasModerator2

Re: TN Krishnan no more

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

Being merged with obituaries thread.