PROF SUBRAMANIA SARMA, VIOLINIST PASSED AWAY.

Remembering musicians of the recent past
CRama

PROF SUBRAMANIA SARMA, VIOLINIST PASSED AWAY.

Post by CRama »

Got this sad news that Prof.M.Subramania Sarma, Violinist retired from Swati Tirunal College of Music, Tiruvananthapuram passed away yesterday night due to cardiac arrest. He was 83. A fine gentleman who had accompanied all sernior vidwans of his times and a long time accompanist for K.J.Yesudas. His son S.R.Mahadeva Sarma and daughter S.R.Rajasree are front ranking violinists. My article on the family of violinists was published in Sruti magazine 2018.

A treasure house of information on legendary musicians, I used to consult him on matters concerning the bygone musicians while writing my articles on the Kerala musicians. He was quick to spot the fire in the music of Yesudas, Neyyattinkara Vasudevan and many other vidwans in the start of their career. In fact Sarma only arranged for the arangetram of these two vidwans and provided violin accompaniment.

Condolences to the family and disciples. Praying for his Mukti.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: PROF SUBRAMANIA SARMA, VIOLINIST PASSED AWAY.

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Sri Sharma sir was a soft spoken person and among the senior most vidwans of Trivandrum. His son Mahadeva sharma is with All India Radio, Trivandrum and is a stock accompanist of Yesudas these days.

I join the multitude of music lovers in offering heartfelt condolences to the bereaved.

thanjavooran

Re: PROF SUBRAMANIA SARMA, VIOLINIST PASSED AWAY.

Post by thanjavooran »

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and disciples.
Ohm shanthi !