C.NARAYANAN CHETTIAR, CONNOISSEUR OF MUSIC PASSES AWAY

Remembering musicians of the recent past
CRama

C.NARAYANAN CHETTIAR, CONNOISSEUR OF MUSIC PASSES AWAY

Post by CRama »

Sri. Narayanan Chettiar. a passionate connoisseur of music, a popular person in music circle ,close friend to many musicians as well as rasikas, a man with great collection of yester -years' music , passed away yesterday night due to cardiac arrest. A huge loss to music fraternity. This lock down makes it difficult for anyone to pay last respects to him.

Personally, I lost a close friend. A man who gets happiness by sharing his music collection. I have immensely benefitted from his magnanimity. He retired from SBI long back. Om Shanthi.

SrinathK

Re: C.NARAYANAN CHETTIAR, CONNOISSEUR OF MUSIC PASSES AWAY

Post by SrinathK »

One more veteran rasika passes on. Unfortunately I did not get to know him though a friend promised to introduce me, but just then the lockdown hit.

https://www.facebook.com/575650382/post ... zp4J0bTsJs

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Chennai Music circle will certainly miss the warm, ever-smiling respectable face of Sri Narayanan Chettiar among its carnatic music aficionados.

He would stay back till the end of concerts and exchange pleasantries with the artists, rasikas and organisers. He was a regular at Ragasudha and Arkay convention Halls,

He was noted for a huge collection of music of the past as well as present and was willing to share with anyone interested.

Heartfelt condolences to the bereaved.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very sad. Condolences to his family and many friends.

I sat next to him many times at Ragasudha Hall.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Sad to note. Condolences to the family members.
Ohm Shanthi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very very sad news. We both knew personally and it was more than a smiling pleasantry .Many concerts in Mylapore area post concerts,i have dropped him in my car . His collections were noteworthy and he was always willing to share his collections .

Yearly once in ragasudha he used to even have a concert series in the name of his Dad Chokkiah Chettiar . All musicians indeed know him and there was no fluff in his personality . He never goes around with the attitude that I am hearing CM for many many decades. He patiently hears with attention and his attitude was "Rain or Sunshine , I love to hear live concerts" .

In todays THe Hindu paper there was a obituary. He was 78. Om shanthi to Shri Narayanan

Write up that appeared in The Hindu about him in 2012
https://www.thehindu.com/features/frida ... 554209.ece

cacm

Post by cacm »

His father was UNIVERSALLY POINEERING PATRONAGE & known for his pah tbreaking efforts to bring to the fore ALMOST all Golden Age artists. Narayana Chettiar CONTINUED his father's patronage as well as FREELY sharing his INVALUABLE COLLECTIONS.....LOTS TO SAY ABOUT HIS GENEROSITY....A NOBLE & GREAT SOUL........VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cacm wrote: 20 Jun 2020, 22:03 His father was UNIVERSALLY POINEERING PATRONAGE & known for his pah tbreaking efforts to bring to the fore ALMOST all Golden Age artists. Narayana Chettiar CONTINUED his father's patronage as well as FREELY sharing his INVALUABLE COLLECTIONS.....LOTS TO SAY ABOUT HIS GENEROSITY....A NOBLE & GREAT SOUL........VKV
Hope you are doing well VKV Sir. Shri Narayanan has briefly told ariyakudi was very close to his family . At your leisure you can write about him and his dad.

cacm

Post by cacm »

r, DOING WELL......Iwill try to writemy vesrion of how carnatic music ACTUALLY TOOK OFF WHEN I FEEL ENOUGH ENERGY....VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cacm wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 22:09 r, DOING WELL......Iwill try to writemy vesrion of how carnatic music ACTUALLY TOOK OFF WHEN I FEEL ENOUGH ENERGY....VKV
VKV Sir,
Not that you would not know , get some extra energy after reading the below link and hearing the song in the link
viewtopic.php?p=364042#p364042. Looking forward to reading soon.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Condolences to the family of a music lover, collector (a sharing one), and a friend of musicians. Years ago, I was absorbed in one of NSG's wonderful concerts, but could not help noticing someone seated nearby who was just as wrapped up as I was in the music. We smiled and nodded when we often responded to the music in a similar manner. I found him again in JS's concert, and later asked her about such a rasikA and she said his name.
For every special rasikA who leaves this earth, I do hope there are going to be two young ones in the making...

ajit

Post by ajit »

Heartfelt condolences to the family. He was willing to share his collection anytime. Nice person