Violinist Smt. T Rukmini passed away

Remembering musicians of the recent past
SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I have just got word from my FB feed that senior violinist Smt. T Rukmini passed away. A great violinist she was- having made her debut accompanying Flute Mali and having played for the trio of MSS MLV and DKP, having studied with R R Kesavamurthy, Lalgudi mama and Semmangudi. She set a mark in an era where female violin accompanists and soloists were rare.

I have heard her live a few times last decade. My grandfather would speak very highly of her playing.

Aum Shanti.

https://www.facebook.com/10000186129699 ... 528916752/

An article a few years ago about her.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 694050.ece

Our rasikas thread : viewtopic.php?t=6066
Last edited by SrinathK on 31 May 2020, 16:34, edited 4 times in total.

CRama

Re: Violinist Smt. T Rukmini passed away

Post by CRama »

Sincere condolences to her family and disciples. Om Shanthi

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Sorry to hear this news. Condolences!

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Deep and heartfelt condolences. Watcher her many a time accompany the top artists of the day in Bangalore in the late 70s/early 80s. In particular remember her accompany SSI when Chowdiah memorial was inaugurated, to much accolades by the legend. Indeed a trailblazer. Watcher her perform in MA with Amritha Murali few years back. Very sad to hear the news. She leaves behind many fans besides her music.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Sad news. May her soul rest in peace.

Condolences to her admirers and disciples.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to her family and disciples!
May her AtmA attain sadgati!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences!

drmnarmadha96

Post by drmnarmadha96 »

Dr.M.Narmadha.
The passing away of SmtT.Rukminiji acclaimed renowned violinist is so saddening to hear.
I convey my sincere condolences to her family members and prayfor her soul to rest in RIP.
Smt.T.Rukmini ji will be ever remembered and cherished for her wonderful contribution to Indian Violin Karnatic Music.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sincere condolences to her family and musical family members. Cherish the live concert of hers in Columbus, Ohio that we hosted, early 2000(s). Her disciple Kalpana Venkat, who was in Michigan, accompanied her then!

Many Karnataka origin people refer to her as Bengaluru Rukmini and relate to her that way.

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

The passing of the great Smt. T. Rukmini was a shock to hear this morning, even though we knew she was not keeping well. Our family had over 65 years of association with her - my father late Sri MKR and her husband were engg classmates at Karaikudi and her family was also known to us before their marriage, so when they were married, it was a family occasion for us as well. In fact, Mami sang the first oonjal song at my parents wedding in 1964 (see photo I posted in this forum earlier: viewtopic.php?t=23474) - she sang Aparadhi Nanalla, the javali in Peelu, see also the photo of her eating at the marriage, alongside Smt. MLV and others). She also attended my wedding and sang at the oonjal there as well three decades later.

As my father has related in an earlier post in the vidwans and vidushis channel, Mami was also a talented singer (he described her as sounding like a young MLV in the 1950's) and I can remember a lovely 3.5 hour chamber violin solo concert she gave in New Jersey in the mid-80's (?) where she also sang a couple of pieces without missing a beat. In my opinion, Mami was one of the most underrated accompanists of all time - listen to her accompanying Sri DKJ, Semmangudi Mama, TRS Mama and of course Mali , and you hear the sweetness of the training under Sri Lalgudi Mama, her ability to match vidwans sangathi for sangathi, and her strong grip of layam. My father once joked to her that her best 'solo kutcheries' were during Mali's concerts (ie filling in the long gaps)...she laughed but in the next breath talked about how she had to be so alert when accompanying him for the flashes of genius that would erupt. She was a 'pro's pro' as they say...besides this, she was also an acclaimed guru who trained many talented artistes to concert status.

On a personal note, she was such a modest, unassuming lady, when she stayed or visited us, she was like the kind aunt who asked little, but gave much - the word gentle reverberates in my mind. I believe her innate modesty + playing the dual role of artist and housewife in a different era prevented her from receiving the full acclaim she deserved although in the 1970's and esp the 1980's she was in prime demand but somehow today, she seems to have been somewhat forgotten. Perhaps we can share some of the recordings that showcase her greatness.

2020 continues to be a year of great loss..

Prayers for her gentle and talented soul for a peaceful journey.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Sad news. Sincere condolences to her family and disciples. Ohm shanthi.
Thanjavooran
01 06 2020

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

got this news as a whatsapp forward
was hoping it was one of those fake things, sadly, it is true that we have lost another senior fiddle vidushi.

Om shanthi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

When Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman only played solo concert and stopped playing as accompanist, I would humbly say T Rukmini filled the sweat spot of great accompaniment . What a sunaadam and alacrity from vidushi T Rukmini as accompanist. Lot of times in years 2000 to 2008 i have personally talked with her, she was very humble .

THough most of her accompaniments are with artists like Mali, MLV, DKJ . But for me few tresures are her accompaniment with TRS, S kalyanaraman . At many times rukmini and LGJ are just the same in my ears as accompaniment

Om Shanthi

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Om Shanthi

Indeed a loss.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Smt T Rukmini was such a brillliant Artist. She was extremely close to our family and had accompanied my Grandmother in a few concerts too. Indeed her passing away is a huge loss to the music community. May her Atman attain eternal repose. Please find below a picture of Smt Rukmini and my Grandmother in the year 1984 just before their concert in Rama Seva Mandali - Chamarajpet - Bangalore (Fort High School Grounds)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Eulogy for vidushi T Rukmini from The Hindu dated June 04,2020
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 746856.ece

May i get from anyone the varnams and thillanas that this great vidushi composed which is mentioned in above url.

Also i have not heard even one of her violin solo concerts, if some one helps that would be great too

ajit

Post by ajit »

Sincere condolences to her family and disciples. As Rajesh has written, i have also felt hearing Shri Lalgudi Jayarams playing when she is accompanying. She has also performed with my guru Dr. N. Ramani several concerts.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It seems that Arkay will stream an archive concert by Smt T Rukmini at 6.15pm IST today. See his facebook channel. Perhaps it will be available on Youtube also in the future.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

My sincere condolences. She stayed with me along with TSKalyanaraman and Srimushnam Raja Rao when they came to Toronto. I have also visited her in Chennai and also heard her sing in Vadapazhani during Arunagirinathar Vizhaa in one August ! Very nice and unassuming lady. Wonderful artist.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick H wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 14:20 It seems that Arkay will stream an archive concert by Smt T Rukmini at 6.15pm IST today. See his facebook channel. Perhaps it will be available on Youtube also in the future.
I just tuned now and I am hearing now kanda naal mudhalai - madhuavanti - NS chidambaram. THe famous number of SKR , violinist is T Rukmini assisted by Amritha Murali.Accompaniments by R Ramesh and Guruprasad. THis is aug 2013 concert of BGS in Arkay. My first hearing vidushi T Rukmini in a violin concert as a main artist.
https://www.facebook.com/arkayconventio ... 540338252/

I think she is continuing with a Lalgudi Thillana in dwijAvanthi.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@17
@rajeshnat
Sir, just now googled for
solo violin music by the late RUKMANI
I got quite a few videos in youtube.
https://youtu.be/nYK5FhqJbY4
https://youtu.be/yg-gJ2Dt8p8

will this be what you need? Perhaps, you can give a review of all the songs there.

arasi

Post by arasi »

What a lady! Sweet-natured, so very sweet sounding on the violin--a serious artiste who looked beautiful and was gentle. She was close to Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan (guru to her grand kids too). I remember now that she went with AS on her Sri Lankan tour to accompany her. So, I would hear about her too. She has been at my CD releases, and I would meet her at a few family occasions. For someone with the sort of gift she had, and beauty, she was so very unassuming. I heard her play at Sujatha Vijayaraghavan's son's wedding reception, all attention in a kalYANa Mantapam amid a group of serious listeners, and how lovely she sounded!
Condolences to all her family and students. I can imagine how much she is being missed by them all.