A shining light of Rasikas.org has passed on - Sri. S. Nageswaran

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Sachi_R

A shining light of Rasikas.org has passed on - Sri. S. Nageswaran

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear RASIKAS,

I am filled with infinite sadness as I write this. I just got off the phone with Sri.Karthik, a worthy son of Sri. Nageswaran. He told me his dear father breathed his last this morning at 5AM in a Rajarajeshwari Nagar hospital.

Sri. Nageswaran had some lung problem since last year and was hospitalised twice. He was brought over to BANGALORE last week by his son. He had many difficulties in the last 4-5 days and Sri.Karthik moved heaven and earth to get him treated. But God had made His plan already and Sri.Nageswaran has now moved on to a better world with lots of music and no curfew.

I consider Sri. Nageswaran to be a most remarkable Rasika. For enthusiasm and love of music, none can equal him. He has helped many musicians. He held house concerts regularly in Chennai as well as BANGALORE.

His three children bring great credit to him. Particularly I know Sri. Karthik to be a very dutiful, music-loving, son. Many of Sri, Nageswaran’s grand children are musically progressing very fast,

Many of us here have lost a dear and noble friend.

There are plans to create some appropriate memorial for Sri. Nageswaran. More details will follow.

If you want to contact Sri. Karthik, this is the phone number: 9840626385

May Sri.Nageswaran continue to enjoy his favourite pastimes - listening to and sharing music, helping musicians, and gardening, and ... and... and ....in a higher world.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Nick H

Re: A shining light of Rasikas.org has passed on - Sri. S. Nageswaran

Post by Nick H »

This is the saddest thing to hear. He was a good friend to all of us.

Condolences to his wife, family, and all his friends.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Rama Rama Rama Rama..

Condolences ..

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Very sad. Condolences to family and rasikas.

arasi

Post by arasi »

One of the very first rasikAs I came to know in the early days of Rasikas.org was Nageswaran. To know him was to know how music appreciation doesn't take into account age or ill health when it comes to arranging concerts, keeping in touch with musicians and their families, taking pride in his grandchildren's imbibing music...A happy man with his music, family and families of musicians. A creative man with his experimenting with gadgets as well. A large-hearted man with a smile, welcoming us all into his fold.
We just lost MKR beginning of this year. Another loss, this. Ponbhairavi, GBL...we elders are decreasing in number, it seems...
May God surround Nageswaran with music in the other world as well.
Condolences to his sweet wife, children and theirs.
Peace to his soul....

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

my deepest condolences. Great loss to our forum. RiP.
Thanjavur an
29 03 2020

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A very sad news indeed. He was so full of music, sharing music with all, arranging concerts of many an artiste, hospitable and noble. A big void in the music world. Condolences to family members which truly includes many rasikas who had occasion to relish his warmth.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Very sad news. I had attended the concert of Sh. Navaneeta Krishnan at his house just 4 weeks back. It was Sivaramakrishnan and CRama who introduced me to him and he blessed me at the end. Will remember him for the concerts and rasikas meets he organized while shuttling between here and Bangalore and his love of MSG's music, sharing his music collections and his memoirs thread.

Month after month, year after year, the old guard make their mark and depart. They'll be in good company and great music where they go, but it is the rest of the music world that is poorer. Condolences.
Last edited by SrinathK on 29 Mar 2020, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Really saddened by the news of the passing away of Sri Nageswaran Sir. We- myself and Sivaramakrishnan last met him in his house on March 1 when he arranged the concert of Navaneet Krishnan to coincide with his 81st birthday. That time Mami told us that they propose to celebrate his Sathabhishekam in Bangalore some time in April when all the children and grand children will be able to come and specifically invited us to attend the function and we had thought of attending also. But that was never to happen. Never thought his end will be so soon.

Despite his health problems, he was a person of immense warmth and hospitality any time. He was friendly with most of the musicians and many of them have attended the rasikas meets in the early years. He was much interested in the get together of the forumites spending his own money, time and energy to arrange it in a fitting manner and keep some entertainments of value to the rasikas. Any time we go to his house, he will show us some video of some HM concert, or some music of great music value. He was much passionate about all streams of music. HM was very close to his heart. Durga ragam was his dearest and he requested many musicians to sing that ragam.
He arranged many memorable concerts in his house.

When I had problems with my eyes and was in a critical condition, he used his good friendship with Dr.Badrinath of Sankar Nethralaya and I got the best of treatment there. I can never forget the help of Nageswaran Sir and twice he came to my house to see me.
Mami is also a perfect match in the hospitality and warmth extended to Mama’s friends. The entire family is very loving.

Came to know from another friend that his eldest son from Pune could not come and the last rites were performed by his second son who is in Bangalore and the cremation was done yesterday evening.

He has gone to be in the company of his favourite musicians like MSG, Madurai Mani Iyer etc and the void in our forum and in our minds can never be filled up.

The present difficult situation forbid his dear relatives and friends to attend his last rites and the performance of last rites and other connected functions are very difficult to arrange.

Om Shanthi.

CRama

Post by CRama »

One small correction. Nageswaran sirs elder son is Karthik in Bangalore who performed the last rites. The younger son is in Pune.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

rasikas.org has lost a fatherly figure.
Extremely sad news for us music lovers.

It isn't yet a month since we, a bunch of forumites met Nageswaran Sir at his residence for Navaneet Krishnan's concert. It was perhaps one of the very well attended chamber concerts and the house was full. I could see the glean in Sir's eyes borne out of the immense 'happiness of enjoying good music with music lovers'. It was a nice occasion for Rajesh, Srinath, CRama and me to spend some good time with Sir that day.

Lately he used to spend the first and last quarters of the year at his house in Chennai and remaining months with his son at Bangalore. He utilised his Chennai stay also to organise -all by himself-Chamber concerts at his house in Mambalam. Mami was there to assist him and take care of guests. Me and CRama used to visit him once in a while. He invited Nagaswara Vidwan Injikkudi Subramanian on an occasion to have a discussion of the Melam tradition. Needless to say Nageswaran Sir used to admire his Hindustani style of playing too!

A couple of years back, when I had to visit Bangalore for a wedding, Nageswaran Sir asked me to stay with him and we had lot of music. He played select HM concerts from his fabulous collection. He invited Sri Sachi and Sri Chellappa to his residence an evening and it was a great time talking on music and musicians. His granddaughter (Karthik's daughter) sang a few kritis superbly well for us.

I will cherish his memories forever.

Heartfelt condolences to Mami and family members.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Oh, this is sad to hear! I always admired his energy and enthusiasm. Condolences!

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

We have lost a father figure.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Now, He is in the company of his equals.

May his soul rest in peace.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I’m so sorry. My condolences to all.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Memories come flooding by when I think of Sri Nageswaran. I have never seen a more enthusiastic Rasika. He was the prime force behind the Rasikas meet we had in the year 2010 at Chennai along with Sri VKV. I dont think Rasikas have met in such huge numbers ever since.
He had a child like personality and a generous heart and would love to share his musical collections. Like GBL he also had a fascination for Hindustani Music. His favourite artist was MSG and he had a huge collection of his concerts which he has generously shared with many.
He was again a major player behind two Rasika meets at my home "Suswaralukshmi" in Bengaluru. I am attaching a link to the 2011 meeting of Rasikas at my residence in which Sri Nageswaran Sri GBL and others can be seen. (Audio becomes normal after 1.30)
Heartfelt condolence to Smt Nageswaran and family members. May his Atman attain eternal repose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2jRgk-bbQ4

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Cienu,
That's indeed a noble tribute to the memory of Sri Nageswaran Sir

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

cienu wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 18:47 Memories come flooding by when I think of Sri Nageswaran. I have never seen a more enthusiastic Rasika. He was the prime force behind the Rasikas meet we had in the year 2010 at Chennai along with Sri VKV. I dont think Rasikas have met in such huge numbers ever since.
He had a child like personality and a generous heart ...
I think he was the prime force behind all the Chennai Rasikas meets. Without those meets I might never have come to know quite a few people face to face.

His musical horizons extended far beyond carnatic and hindustani. If it was music, I think he was willing to taste it!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

A great loss indeed.I attended Music Program hosted by sri Nageshwaran in Bangalore apartment of R Surya prakash.
he was so passionate spending his personal fortune to the cause of carnatic Music.
a great admirer of MSG the Violin wizard.
May his soul rest in peace.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This really sad! Condolences to the bereaved family members! May his atmA attain SAnti!
He was such a generous man. I think it was Kulkarni who introduced him to rasikas, and we have all benefited from that association!

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Very sad. Deepest condolences to the family. He was a good friend, wonderful rasika and a genial person who never hesitated to share great music ... Tons of it. Will be sorely missed.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very sad to hear the news. Sri. Nageswaran's natural unbridled enthusiasm for spreading happiness through music is well known and appreciated by us all and he will long be remembered for that and for being a great friend to all of us. Condolences to his family and friends.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences. This is a great loss to the rasikas fraternity.
My family and I have known Sri Nageswaran for over four decades. He will be dearly missed.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Shocked and saddened by the news. "Rasikas" will definitely miss him and his hospitality. I fondly remember and cherish meeting him and many other :Rasikas" in his house meeting several years ago( 2015 ? ), when MKR did a mimicry of GNB and other artistS.
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

mahavishnu wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 23:23 My family and I have known Sri Nageswaran for over four decades. He will be dearly missed.
It was through Nageswaran that I got to know your parents.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

@mahavishnu,
If I am not mistaken, Sri. Nageswaran mentioned to me a couple of times that your father was an eminent doctor in Chennai.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yes. Father of mahavishnu is Dr. Balasubramaniam, a practicing doctor in Chennai and also a music enthusiast. He and his wife attends almost all the concerts in Chennai. In our rasikas meet, he shared his experiences with the family of Lalgudi, Santhanam and Sremmangudi. He was a family doctor to these musicians.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, that is correct. Thank you, CRama avl.
My father has known Sri Nageswaran for 50+ years. He was devastated to hear of his passing. I related the bad news to him just yesterday. It is especially tragic that the Covid-19 lockdown situation prevents people from visiting the bereaved in person.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick H wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:03
mahavishnu wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 23:23 My family and I have known Sri Nageswaran for over four decades. He will be dearly missed.
It was through Nageswaran that I got to know your parents.
Yes, the concerts that Sri Nageswaran organized connected rasikas in such a wholesome way. My parents are very fortunate to have made your acquaintance through these events.

And I must confess that most (if not all) rasikas that I have had the pleasure to meet in person are due to the events organized by Sri Nageswaran, including the big Rasikas meet in 2010. And I will be forever grateful to him for that!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

So very sorry to hear of Nageswaran's passing. I had the chance to meet him on two occasions during the rasika meets in Chennai. Great soul. May he rest in eternal peace. Sincere condolences to the family and friends.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

---------------------------------------------------------
Tribute to Shri Nageswaran from Rajesh
---------------------------------------------------------
I am collating my thoughts since i know him from day -1 when he was also not part of the forum . Having worked with him bit closely in all the rasikas concerts , i did see him in close proximity his service to the clasical music world. Few points as eulogy

1. Nageswaran sir was in WestMambalam for many many years . To the best of my knowledge as guessed by some one , coolkarni and Nageswaran did not know each other. THere was one gentleman by name Subramaniam who was the common friend to both. Subramaniam lived a street away from nageswaran sir house and he came into our rasikas.org forum . Subramaniam gave his house for the first rasikas concert where TV Ramprasadh sang . Many did enthusiastically participate , subramaniam invited nageswaran sir. Nageswaran was just curious then about rasikas.org and he registered into our forum.

2. Thanks to atleast two families Nageswaran and shyam(mantra is his id) we conducted so many rasikas concerts championed by say 5 to 10 members team headed by coolkarni. Specifically Nageswaran started moving bit closely with me and cool and few more chennaites in circa 2008 2013 timeframe . He gave his house on many many occassions for concerts, i cannot recollect which came first and which came later . Few memorable ones

2A. The PB Srirangachari (now known as brothers) concert that was second or third in series.That was held in nageswaran sir house . The financials were shared by cool and team reaching out to few of our forumites , nageswaran was extremely hospitable by giving his house . I think apart from TRS , our CMLover also came in to these concerts.

2B. We moved to one Aishwarya Venkatraman Violin concert where it was preceded by MKR Sir and VKV sharing anecdotes of MS amma . THat was a time where there was this book writeup of MS amma by George. I am assuming sundarajan sir from florida also came for that . We had full lunch served in his mottai madi , that was a tanjore kalyana feast that day.

2C. Then one fine day about 7 to 10 members were invited privately to nageswaran house . I forgot the name of the western violinist that magician played exceptionally well. At thet time i also came to know nageswaran also was quite a bit of soundphile.His spread was not just CM but HM . Once when i went to his house some time when he called he was talking one hour atleast about Dr Balaji who was a violinist and a teacher. Dr Balaji is father of B ANanthakrishnan. He put so many recordings of different violin styles and they were very educative.

2D. I remember his Master of Ceremony comments for many concerts particularly manakkal rangarajan house concert . His speech encouraging many artists were full of love and enthusiasm. He did lot of MC activity with zeal and my request a day before that he should keep his speech short sir was taken in right spirit as he agreed concerts have to be atleast 3 hours.

2E. Madurai GS Mani and Nageswaran SIr are like twin brothers. THe camraderie that both have is simply awesome , WE had a sudda sarang main for a house concert of GS mani sir which in our life all of us would never get sudda sarang as main . I put lot of photos of many nageswaran home concerts but the links are not working.

2F. I missed one tadepalli concert in nageswaran home as i was not in country

3. We had our first global rasikas meet , let me trace the video . Vasanthakokilam you only put do you have the link. Nageswaran sir approached mudhra and radha bhaskar and they consented to give adjacent school hall by talking with RKM school. Few days back when Nageswaran was putting posts then in rasikas.org ,prior to what he called as Global Rasikas meet he used to call me asking me to persuade others to say if they are coming or not for rasikas meet so that he can plan for lunch. A day or 2 back he also was quite ill, I even was telling him to scale down . My particular words were There is no Global Rasikas meet sir we are just extended mylapore and mambalam spread across the world. But what a joy was that meeting , Nageswaran and VKV sir pulled it up in a global fashion.We had superb attendance and participation , Many felt Wow what a show . I personally met VK, Ponbhairavi ,VGV, Pratyaksham Bala, etc and many many from there. Also nageswaran sir made his grand daughter srinidhi briefly sing for 30 minutes. Video shoot was arranged which is for all of us to enjoy for life

One has to give it to Nageswaran for calling it as GLOBAL Rasikas Meet, it was indeed global O GLOBAL

4. Some time later Nageswaran also had CRama and partly SRK assisting him. At the same time he also had his challenge to demolish his old house and build a flat. I remember few calls where he used to say i cannot hold any concerts . But his resilence was in plenty , despite flat or apartment coming back he again started. Few concerts from those are

4A. Maharajapuram Ramachandran concert where ramachandran sir was ga ga and very pleased and thanked Nageswaran

4B. Suryaprakash had a 3 plus hour concert with a brindavana saranga pallavi thanking nageswaran sir immensely enjoying ad he ended with his favourite sudda sarang thillana

4C. Sandeep Narayanan coming to nageswaran sir flat and singing a rare exotic hindustani Durga raga pallavi .I could not make it as i was in USA that time

4D. He encouraged a singer by name madhavan who was also disciple of DKJ who sang very well that koniyadina naapai in kambodhi

4E. Swathi Srikrishna who sang a lovely ananda natana prakasm in kedaram . DIsciple of MSG, R Satish kumar who motivated himself to take a RTP in behag after a brilliant ma janaki main

4F. When he moved to apartment he dropped the idea of dinner and he again found a new cute sandwich wala who makes awesome sandwiches and he gave it few concerts , again always out of box thinking without losing hope

4G. Incidentally in apartment he invited Nithya Audio on time set everything up so that at 5pm artists are ready to go. Soundwise apartment was far more better than his house.

5. Apart from global rasikas meet , we also had a great meet in chitravina ravikiran home in neelankarai where many of us participated . There also Nageswaran sir was leading from front. For roughly 2 to 3 years may be 2017 to 2019 , nageswaran did a lot of service from his bangalore base which sachi and cienu have covered.

6. Roughly a month back after every concert i usually give some amount that i usually suff in his pocket ,not that much at all as i know the financials through him,He was saying I dont need much my sons are giving . But he told me in person that his health is not that good , I said jokingly sir MSG Violin solo concert kellunga sir . I also told him 2 concerts back sir go to your nageswaran and kumbeshwaran temple in kumbakonam. I knew he is from kumbakonam .

7. Nageswaran and MSG were very close and to an extent GSmani and Nageswaran were also close .He was also close with VS narasimhan, Veenai parthasarathi, Injikudi and many many musicians have taken his blessing and/or guidance.

8. All said he told in the microphone in his last concert of Navneet krishnan(Feb 2020) , i have just turned 81 , with nearly the same enthusiasm that he will be going to prepare for another concert at his westmambalam residence.

Few voids that nageswaran sir is leaving
----------------------------------------
Can some one show such love for CM , welcome artists and make them give their best ?

Can some one give their houses and apartments for atleast half a dozen and one dozen concerts without showing any strain and stress?

Request to Nageswaran Family:
----------------------------
Condolences to Mrs Nageswaran and their lovely family. Humble request to their family ,if possible atleast have one yearly concert with Nageswaran sir name be it chennai or bangalore,.If you have extended family in USA , have altleast once only once a concert in USA to make nageswaran sir wish as truly global . With all the covid scare GOD took a great soul who loved music unconditionally, perhaps all visits to his nearby ayodha mantapam may have helped Nageswaran Sir.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I would like to see an annual memorial concert. Good idea!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Forumites were always close to Nageswaran's heart. The other day I was talking to his wife over phone. She mentioned. "We were discussing about conducting his Sathabhishekam in a small scale some time in April/May. The first thing he mentioned was I have to invite some of my Rasika forumites- whatever may be the scale of the function." He had great love for us- the rasika forumites.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sincere condolences to the family. I have seen the rasikas meet video where his grand daughter (trained by Akella garu?) was singing and heard his introduction. Only live one way interaction I have. Great man of service and involvement in Music, like a few I have met.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Sincere condolences to his family. As many have written, he brought the forumites together with the rasikas meet. It was very well organized and i was one of the beneficiary to meet many rasikas in that meet.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

You can see in the below link where nageswaran sir has participated in the video . Check the first 3 mins in video 3 where he honours VK in part 3 AND in part 4 ,somewhere in 23rd min , nageswaran sir talks about anonymity to go away and so sweetly says why he had his granddaughter sing as he wanted to emphasise msakella garu's teaching.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25151&p=279382&hilit=meet#p279382

This 2010 global rasikas meet that nageswaran sir organized was one of a kind.

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Heartfelt Condolences to his family and other rasikas. Om Shanti.

Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

A tribute to an absolute rasika
--------------------------

The recent passing of Shri.Nageswaran has left a void in the sphere of the absolute rasikas. He was a man, with his heart full of love for all the beauteous creations of which music was a big part. He wore his precious collection in his heart, rather than his sleeve. The only criteria for for any music to be a part of his collection is that it should be highly original and truly heart wrenching. He had no narrow prejudices in the clothing of elitism in taste, he could appreciate a soul stirring Miyan-ki-malhar of Abdul Karim Khan and a Shanmukhapriya tour-de-force of Karukurichi equally. And not to forget his love for MSG's very own and original expositions wherein he blends flavours of Hindustani and Carnatic, sometimes even Yehudi Menuhinism. For Nageswaran, the music has to be served fully cooked by the soul of the artiste, a freshly bloomed flower, not a bunch of contrived phrases suggestive of puritanism for political correctness. Artificiality is probably the only thing this man with a heart full of love, hated; that's why he could relate to the best of every genre from Beatles to Balu mama's virutham, from Japanese Koto music to Ramnad Krishnan, from Kumar Gandharva to Madurai Mani Iyer. To him, music meant much much more than the musician, so he abstained from being a cheerleader or a groupie for any artiste.

I have been more than happy to have performed more than once, for this great person in his drawing room of his Chennai and Bangalore home wherein he invited the best of true connoisseurs of music. He meticulously recorded my recitals, catalogued the songs with all the details of raga, tala, composer etc. and sent me the videos with the best of compliments. His love for the raag Durga is well known and that's probably why he was a fearless rasika who never used to make any bones about rejecting mediocrity, true to the phrase "BhayebhyasthrAhinO Devi - DurgE dEvi Namosthuthe"!

His love for the vintage, whether it be music or speeches of world leaders will always be displayed with a child-like enthusiasm whenever one has a conversation with him. Any true musician's yearning will always be for the association of the absolute rasika like Shri.Nageswaran. Enjoy the celestial music above sir!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear Sri. Suryaprakash,
You were one of the artistes Sri. Nageswaran really liked. I attended your concert in Bengaluru organised by him!

You write well, sir. I am sure true musicians will miss Sri. Nageswaran!

What an appropriate line for these times:
भयेभ्यः त्राहि नो देवि दुर्गे देवि नमोस्तु ते!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suryaprakash,
Spoken like a true rasikA of a rasikA, and surely, he loved the music that he found in you...

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

A music lover & a gentleman. My deepest condolences.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

I noticed this thread only today. Sorry for being late in offering my condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@vgovindan sir
It is 3 months . Many login to the site once in say two months. I am just curious , you have logged in and you have posted almost every day . Post you login will you not click the link Active Topics, I am wondering how you missed this thread.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Rajesh,
I noticed the Menu and 'New Posts' option only a few days back.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very sad to hear the news. I met Nageswaran Sir at cienu's house on one of the rasikas meet around 9 years back in Bangalore. Remember him to be an affectionate, knowledgeable and wise person who was the backbone of this forum in many ways around that time. Benefited a lot from his wise words and experiences. What we have lost, the heavens have gained. Deep and heartfelt condolences. Makes me very sad....

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

Very sad to hear this news. My apologies for this late post since I just learned about it. Sri. nageswaran is one of the pillars who have made rasikas.org such a force it has become. He willbe deeply missed.