Vidwan Madras A Kannan Passed Away

Remembering musicians of the recent past
parivadini

Vidwan Madras A Kannan Passed Away

Post by parivadini »

Veteran Vidwan Madras Kannan Passed away.

https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... interview/

Nick H

Re: Vidwan Madras A Kannan Passed Away

Post by Nick H »

I had heard his name. I saw him once at a function. I was quite surprised at how easily I could recognise him from your interview photographs.

Sorry to hear of his passing. But... nearly a century of life. Quite something.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Sorry to hear the sad news.
RIP
Thanjavooran
01 04 2019

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to the family and disciples of Sri Kannan! May his AtmA attain mukti!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vidwan Kannan, a special man , indeed! A long, charmed life in music, and he was remarkable in his art. May his soul rest in peace.

Parivadini (Ram), How well you do what you do :) Carry on doing it! Your interview with Madras Kannan is yet another proof that you are the present and future hope for sattu (substance)in CM history. The love you have for it, your vision and your fine and hard work --both biographic and historic--speak volumes about you as an asset to the music community. My best wishes are always there for you.

Nick,
How true! Madras A Kannan had not lost that charming smile even in his ripe old age. I had known him as a child and had seen him several times in my uncle's house and have heard him play many times. That smile and his thick upswept very wavy hair and a red line of Sri chUrNam (vaishNavite caste mark) stay fresh in my mind. Of course, I didn't see him afterwards since I had left India.
However, I was surprised to hear some years ago about him from none other than the dear departed Jayalakshmi Santhanam. I had asked her whether we could meet on a particular day, and she said she had to attend a wedding.
"In Madras Kannan's family", she added. "Is he still around?" "Must be quite old..." I said. "Very much so, and very alert!", she added happily...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@@Parivadini
Lovely writeup. Roughly a decade back your friend @@Vishnuramprasad has said there are also few memorable concerts where MMI and Madras kannan have paired. Would be nice if you can edit your post and also include madurai mani there.

All,
In general from the days when semmangudi passed away at the age of 95 in 2003, I was always thinking let one carnatic musician touch 100 years . With manakkal Rangarajan passing away at the age of 97 , it would have been great if say madras kannan passed away in 2020 at the age of 100 instead of 99 in 2019.

In guru pazhani subramania pillai day , Madras kannan presented a lecdem two years back . check part 1 to 4 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-sjqfToev8 . Thanks to mannarkoil balaji for sharing this lecdem

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for jogging my memory more. His sweet voice, still there in this footage reminds me of that as well! Yes, he must have played for many popular vidvAns in their days, and how many of them during his long life! Yes, a century would have been nice., He did play for VVS an awful lot, I do recollect..

Balaji and team,
Thanks for bringing Madras A Kannan to PSP's celebrations. A rare chance to see him after mAmAngams...And PSP himself! Can't forget him! Somewhere, I do remember writing my memories about him...