T V Sundaravalli is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
harimau

T V Sundaravalli is no more

Post by harimau »

It is with great regret that I announce the passing away of Smt T V Sundaravalli on Tuesday, Nov 28, 2017.

Smt Sundaravalli was well-known for the Tiruppugazh concerts she used to present with husband Valayappettai Sri Krishnan and daughter Bhavya Hari. The concerts preserved tradition by presenting various Tiruppugazh's in the ragas established by authentic gurus such as Pamban Swamigal. The explanations as to the various Chanda talas employed as well as the meanings of the songs embellished the concerts.

A special concert where danseuse Narthaki Nataraj interpreted the songs through dance demonstrated her deep knowledge of Tiruppugazh which enabled her to select songs appropriate for the dance performance.

A great loss to the art community. She has merged with the lotus feet of Lord Muruga.

rshankar

Re: T V Sundaravalli is no more

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to the family and her disciples. May her soul RIP!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Deepest condolences. May her soul RIP
Thanjavooran
01 12 2017

cienu

Post by cienu »

Heartfelt condolences. May her soul rest in peace

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Deepest condolences.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Very sad to hear the news. I am told she grew up in triplicane did her schooling in NKT National Girls Higher Secondary School. My moms cousin was quite close to her . Condolences , hope her legacy is taken forward by her daughter Bhavya Hari.

arasi

Post by arasi »

So sorry to hear this :(
Rajesh,
She went to Lady Wellington for middle school, and we were classmates. Her house was close by, and we were good friends. I would ask JS about her, and knew that she became a performing artiste. So, when I started coming to India every year, I so much wanted to meet her and to listen to her. I did, at The Indian Fine Arts years ago, and after the concert, we were happy to meet again...
Sympathies to her family. I am sure she taught many youngsters...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 11:55
She went to Lady Wellington for middle school, and we were classmates. Her house was close by, and we were good friends. I would ask JS about her, and knew that she became a performing artiste. So, when I started coming to India every year, I so much wanted to meet her and to listen to her. I did, at The Indian Fine Arts years ago, and after the concert, we were happy to meet again...
Sympathies to her family. I am sure she taught many youngsters...
Arasi
Having known you and your age , my aunt who is a year younger to my mom studied with TV Sundaravalli in Triplicane NKT school. I do know you are atleast a decade elder to my mom. I dont think you and TV Sundaravalli were classmates , Today in news paper there was a photo of a musician whose name was sundaravalli srinivasan and it was put second death anniversary , may be you are mistaken with this sundaravalli srinivasan then TV Sundaravalli. May be there is some other sundaravalli . I can be wrong and can be corrected if some one furnishes the age of TV Sundaravalli when she passed away.Either I am mistaken or more likely you got the wrong sundaravalli.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

archived writeup of TV sundaravalli
http://www.thehindu.com/arts/Music-with ... 817084.ece

Arasi
IS she the same person that you are referring as your classmate?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks. No, she is not. My sympathies to her family.
I hope my classmate is still around as I am. Was she T.Soundaravalli? Triplicane and all, tiruvAi mozhi would have been more like it for her to specialize in. She was singing once or twice in the season about a decade ago.

harimau

Post by harimau »

A fine tribute in today's The Hindu Friday Review:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 668936.ece

The paragraph under Sadly Neglected is an indictment of the lack of rasikathvam or even appreciation for anything except "performance" art. Thus you get abhangs, Maadu Meikkum Kanne, the Blind Monkey song, the Fat Ghost song, and other signature songs of various performers.