Sri S Krishnamurthy no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Sreeni Rajarao

Sri S Krishnamurthy no more

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Sri S Krishnamurthy, Mysore Vasudevachar's Grandson passed away today Dec 5th 2015

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 952572.ece
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 06 Dec 2015, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.

Rsachi

Re: Sri S Krishnamurthy no more

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Sreeni,
i had the fortune to meet Sri Krishnamurthy a few fimes. It was once 11 years ago when someone wanted the correct sahitya amd notation for Vasudevacharya's Pantuvarali composition. I got his phone number and called him. Not knowing me from Adam did not stop him from inviting me home. When I went to his home in Jayanagar, he had neatly written the lyrics and notation in English script. I asked him audaciously how true was it that it was indeed Vasudevacharya who had composed the works of HH JCW. He answered spontaneously and convincingly, no way. He was a fellow student of the Maharaja in the Trinity college course and Maharaja was a highly accomplished western musician. He was helped by thestaff notation, as the Hindu states, in picking up CM from the famous guru, and the notation was provided by Sri Krishnamurthy. Maharaja was well versed in Sanskrit, was an expert in Srividya, and modelled his compositions on the style of Muthuswamy Dikshitar compositions (VERY different in structure from Vasudevacharya's). The two and their guru would discuss the effort of Maharaja and finalise the tune a bit for each kriti. That's all.
All the 90+ compositions of the Maharaja were composed in a short period of a few months.

Recently i spent a good amount of time researching and getting his inputs for my article on Bidaram Krishnappa Ramamandira. Sri Krishnamurthy was astoundingly detailed in his memory and cogent in explaining so many facets of that piece of history. Again, while talking about MSS, he was full of insights and facts.

I marvelled at the man, his range of knowledge, simple and elegant style of writing and deep respect for history. I took his photo on that day. Let me look for it...

May his soul rest in musical bliss.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

May his soul rest in peace!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Very sorry to hear the sad news. RIP
Thanjavooran
06 12 2015

cacm

Post by cacm »

quote="Rsachi" Dear Sreeni,
Again, while talking about MSS, he was full of insights and facts.

IT WOULD BE USEFUL IF YOU CAN SHARE SOME OF THE INSIGHTS. I am collecting these for use in MS CENTENARY FUNCTIONS INCLUDING A MAJOR EFFORT AT CLEVELAND. I am aware of the extraordinary efforts MS took to understand& present the SUBTLELITIES REG: KANNADA, THE COMPOSER'S STYLE etc I UNFORTUNATELY DO NOT HAVE THE EXPERTISE & WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EXPERTS' OPINIONS. VKV

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

A picture from my visit to Sri Krishnamurthy on December 28th 2006 in Bangalore at his home in Jayanagar.

I was touched by Sri Krishnamurthy's warmth towards me as he delved into his memories of his tAta Sri Vasudevacharya, and the association of my tAta Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa and my Father Veena Raja Rao with Sri Acharya.

If I may quote Sri Sachi from the above post, "Sri Krishnamurthy was astoundingly detailed in his memory and cogent in explaining so many facets of that piece of history"

I cannot forget the way he introduced me to his younger brother Sri Raja Ram who happened to make a phone call from Chennai that morning during my visit. And I was lucky to speak to Sri Raja Ram as well over the phone!

With Sri Krishnamurthy's demise we are losing a great link to a historical past that is very close to my heart and I am sure there are many others who feel this way. Fortunately, he has left behind for us a legacy that is quite well documented.

Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 06 Dec 2015, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Beautiful, Sreeni. Sri Rajaram sang beautifully. He has composed an opera on Purandaradasa which is performed by Kalaksetra.

Sri Krishnamurthy has written a book on MSS. It is less about Kannada but more about music.

Incidentally Vasudevacharya did not compose in Kannada.

I have no doubt that the Nadanamakriya Shiva shiva bho that MSS sang at UN and composed by Maharaja was taught to her by Krishnamurthy!

His writing about Maharaja has been translated by me and posted in rasikas.org.

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 50#p231275

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Sachi Sir,
Vasudevacharya composed only one song in kannaDa: karuNisou tAye mAye sivajAye in saraswati manOhari rAga
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 06 Dec 2015, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hi Sreeni,
Is there a recording of this kannaDa song?

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Hi Ravi,

I am sure there exists one. I have not heard it. I have only read about it and I have the swara and sAhitya for the song.

I believe Sri R K Padmanabha brought out cassettes (yes, audio cassettes) of all the compositions of Sri Acharya. I hope they have now released CD versions of this series.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Ravi,

Found this with a Google Search! Smt Sukanya Prabhakar singing... Uploaded by Sri Rajachandra!

https://soundcloud.com/rrajachandra/mys ... uniso-taye

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Yes. I know that song. Vasudevacharya composed it per request of the king, but also stated he did not feel like composing in Kannada.
Anyway I don't want this thread to digress....

cienu

Post by cienu »

Heartfelt condolences,
Truly the end of an era.

arasi

Post by arasi »

He lived long, but some such mortals need to be with us longer :( Music history lives on in people like him and is kept alive by them. His proximity to his grandfather and being nurtured with music by him and the palace (in western music), and his own long career and life with music are precious indeed.

He was active till the very end, and the publishing of the transliteration and notations of his grandfather's compositions is something I look forward to getting when I visit Bengaluru...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sincere condolences to the family.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Very sad to know about the demise of Sri Krishnamurty.

May God grant the family and admirers, the courage to bear the loss.