Cleveland V V Sundaram

Prominent critics and rasikas
rajeshnat

Cleveland V V Sundaram

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of Shri V V Sundaram in the friday review. There is mention about shri VKV. Shri V V Sundaram has indeed contributed a lot and musicians indeed have benefited.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 197071.ece

Nick H

Re: Cleveland V V Sundaram

Post by Nick H »

I wish we had our Thank You button :)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Will VV Sundaram take the reigns of M.A in India?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Standing alone like that, it is an odd question.

Are the reins hanging loose, waiting for someone to take them? Is it foreseen that, if not now, they may be? Is is supposed that some sort of power struggle might happen?

Above all, would he want them?

(by the way: reins or reigns. I had to check with Google. My late mother, passionate about horses and quite keen on the queen would be ashamed of me :)) )

KNV1955

Post by KNV1955 »

Mr & Mrs Sundaram are lovely couple. Indeed he has done a lot to spread CM in USA. Infact I see a large no of quality performers from US & I guess it is because of the interest generated through Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana over the years. He is easily one of the best speakers in CM circuit.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

VVS's contribution to the popularization of CM in North America is an unbelievable saga of enthusiasm,passion and dedication which includes not only himself but other stalwarts like VKV,Cleveland Balu,Toronto Venkatraman--as an CM aficionado in the US for the last 45 years I have been a personal witness to the trials and tribulations that these pioneers have undergone.Nowadays the funding from the University has all dried up and yet the organizers have sustained the operations well.They need continuous support from all of us.

YES--he is a very good speaker--homely,terse and anecdotal- but I am sure he has worked hard at it--a testament to his credo--ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING WELL!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
Who is Sri. Rajagopalan whom he referred to, sitting in a back row at one of my CD releases? The low key one in the team 'who makes Cleveland Festival possible?' (Do I sound like a PBS announcement?).

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Arasi, at your CD release function I remember Sri VVS mentioning about Sri Rajagopalan being a founder or a key office bearer of CMANA. Our other NA friends may know more.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I do not know VVS personally but my one little interaction with VVS quite a while back is quite memorable. This was 1989 or so, a friend of mine and his wife wanted to go to Cleveland Thyagaraja Utsavam. This was the day before the start of the Utsavam. I somehow got a hold of VVS and mentioned to him about our desire to come for the utsavam and wanted to get some details. He did not know who I was, he said 'It will be great if you can join us. Don't worry about where you will stay. Plan to start driving in an hour''. I was dumbstruck given that I just called him to inquire about the utsavam. Within the hour, one of the host families called and invited us to stay with them for the weekend. That was only the beginning of how pleasant everything was. It was quite unreal to witness the scale of the utsavam even then and how well it was organized. In addition, they were no tickets for the concerts and for the feast they served at lunch on all days. It is up to people to donate whatever they could. The hospitality extended to us by Mr and Mrs VVS and all the volunteers and the host families made us feel like we were attending a big family wedding.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Spring cuckoo,
You said it!
When I was at the festival about ten years ago, I was amazed by the hospitality and care shown to me, just another unknown pilgrim to the ArAdhanA. I arrived well after lunch time, and the kitchen helps were washing huge pots in the pantry. I thought I should get a cup of coffee and a reasonable something out of the junk food I could buy next door, but no, I was stopped by one of the long time volunteers and was given a plateful of the lunch he somehow got together for me. This incident and what you say are very symbolic of this phenomenon which we call The Cleveland Aradhana. True, it has got to be a mega festival, but this spirit is what sustains it and makes it grow even more every year. I still can't stop being amazed as to how all this is possible.

That's why I love writing about it as it happens, watching the streaming at home. This year, I hope there are going to be more volunteers to do this. I am not getting any younger :) I will be excited of course, watching all the programs...

If I were younger and had lived somewhere in Cleveland's vicinity, I would have lent a hand too.
All this explains why I am so happy and eager to invite VVS to release my CDs every time, let alone that he also comes from my ancestral village! And, he speaks very well. Oh, as he is working away in Chennai (and all his buddies everywhere else) to make the festival a grand affair, he still finds time to be at my events. A gracious man...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sridhar,
You mean, the founder of CMNA, so to speak? He and his wife were early settlers who were devoted to CM and hosed artistes and conduced many concerts! They even had Parveen Sultana sing in their house!

I was trying to locate him in the hall and missed those words that Sundaram spoke (my hearing not that keen either :(

Wish I had met him :(

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi: Yes!! It is Dr.P.Rajagopalan who is the Founder of CMANA(I was a co counder)--we arranged Parween Sultana--we had a House concert in garden City,NY--we arranged Kalyanaraman's tour and TVS's First tour of NA.VVS is always very magnanimous in getting credit to his PIONEERS--VKV,Dr.Rajagopalan et al.

I am currently in Chennai--recovering from Jet lag and hope to be here till 28th and get back from CBE on Feb 3 and get back to NY on Feb 7th--Nirmala is with me --we are here to attend a wedding.
having missed the "season" would like to know about concerts in the City. Forumites especially the Sabha junkies--.--Nick,Rajeshnat Please help!! My cell 8220378121.

Arasi are you back in the US?

Forumies,,the jan issue of Sruthi magazine has a write-up of my mother by Gowri Ramanarayan

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks for your writing...Yes, V V Sundaram is also gracious in recognizing the pioneers...

Still in India, though not in Chennai...As for timing....a pity! Arriving in Chennai soon after you leave, for the three day Prof. V.V.Sadagopan's centenary events...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: having missed the "season" would like to know about concerts in the City. Forumites especially the Sabha junkies--.--Nick,Rajeshnat Please help!! My cell 8220378121.
It's a bit flat now, by comparison (of course) but if you answer the email I just sent you via this forum, I'll forward the R S Hall program to you. Hope to see you.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote:Arasi: Yes!! It is Dr.P.Rajagopalan who is the Founder of CMANA(I was a co counder)--we arranged Parween Sultana--we had a House concert in garden City,NY--we arranged Kalyanaraman's tour and TVS's First tour of NA .VVS is always very magnanimous in getting credit to his PIONEERS--VKV,Dr.Rajagopalan et al.
Acutaly TVS'S FIRST TOUR WAS ARRANGED BY GUHA ENTERPRISES!...

I am forced to write this to set the"Record" straight. Actually I am also one of the co-founders & to INAGURATE it my brother DR.V.K.Balasubrahmanyan & Nanjundiah of D.C.of Saraswathi who had sponsored TVS KINDLY AGREED TO LET TVS TO PERFORM FOR THE CMANA INAGURAL CONCERT.
I am writing this because THERE WAS QUITE A BIT OF BITTERNESS as some press had said I was the one responsible for the TVS concert & I had nothing to do with it! I had brought TVS for a master class at Weslyaln & Dartmouth at request of the famous Jazz &Carnatic musician PROF.BILL COLE (he learnt at Weslyan)....
Anyways a little bit of historical correction....VKV :?:

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKV (cacm),
It was all a long time ago!

I remember Mrs.Rajagopalan's name as Vasantha. A friendly person. Do I remember it right?

cacm

Post by cacm »

arasi wrote:VKV (cacm),
It was all a long time ago!
UNFORTUNTELY PEOPLE DO NOT APPEAR TO FORGET THESE THINGS

I remember Mrs.Rajagopalan's name as Vasantha. A friendly person. Do I remember it right?
....YES! Rajagopalan & I used to play Tennis almost evereyday! VKV

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Sri Rajagopalan was an Engineer at Westinghouse. He was very much involved in bringing a temple to Pittsburgh. Rajagopalan and his wife Rajeshwari have lived in Pittsburgh for a long time and worked hard to bring Indian culture here. They were from Coimbatore.

cacm

Post by cacm »

[quote="maduraimini"]Sri Rajagopalan was an Engineer at Westinghouse. He was very much involved in bringing a temple to Pittsburgh. Rajagopalan and his wife Rajeshwari have lived in Pittsburgh for a long time and worked hard to bring Indian culture here. They were from Coimbatore.

The Dr.P.RAJAGOPALAN referrred to is the FOUNDER OF CAMANA AND IS A FAMOUS SCIENTIST (Chemistry)who lived in NYC Area in the fifties onwards. He is the brother of late safe ramabhadran and lives in MYLAPORE NOW. VKV

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Sorry, CACM. There was a Rajagopalan, besides us, in Pittsburgh in the 60s who was very much involved with the India Association there. I thought it was him. The same name caused this confusion.
V.V.Sundaram was always active in Indian things.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday I saw seated before my television to see 6 balls . There was a 4 6 6 2 6 and that damn W that happened . But O gosh a day after I see thru this link where Cleveland Sundaram and his team are doing some thing miraculously to host cleveland aradhana for 42nd time where pancharatna is sung in the cleveland university stadium for the first time. The link of aradhana where sundaram sir is just speaking is just put below, the link just starts at that exact time .Atleast hear the 15 mins speech from where VVS speaks till the point where vidwan VVS speaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gunETqt ... .be&t=9090

Year on Year the cleveland miracle continues . For me much much more than anything that was said, there is a set of new next generation kids who are taking baby steps hearing for the first time at cleveland .(I hope the future Rasikas to Vidwans/ Vidushis ratio again goes to 1:10000 like 1950 to 1980's era not stays at 1:100 ratio as of today). Best wishes for those who are just getting to know the oceanic experience of CM with their first step towards hearing the jagadanandakA to endarO mahanubhAvulu.

This speech of VVS is realistic optimism at its best. Best wishes for non violinist V V Sundaram Sir to strike 4 6 6 2 6 and V where V just does not stand for veeravanallur but also for Victory. I also liked the other violinist V V S who also spoke .Atleast the first part when he said "Naangalallam Thyagarajar nAla thaan saapadarOm and he just intelligently quips saying now thyagaraja even moved to America for doing that much more efficiently". Particularly if you notice the non violinist V V S , he exactly knows what is most important to be spoken of , what needs to be communicated at the right time with the right audience . Considering all the consternation that happened in the last 12 months that I just recollect now ,each of our life is just like five fingers .Kudos to all participants and all organizers . In between the two VVS's we also have a brief introduction of GCMA ,where sudha Ragunathan introduces with few more artists supporting them as team members .

Personal thoughts on what violinist VVS said :
------------------------------------------
I have heard thru writings in few temples near my native where small temples conduct floating festivals in rivers. They call in tamil as theppam and incidentally in few places those theppams are even held very close to constructed mani mantapams. Personally mani mantapams for Thyagaraja can always be built which can be even moved around cleveland . I am not sure on the uttarAngam statement of building even a hall , what can i say on that statement the great violinist V V Subramaniam has even played for so many mahanubhAvulus headed by say Mahavidwan semmangudi srinivasa iyer, his wish of building halls may even be possible that I fail to visualize right now due to my shortsightedness.

Best wishes to the Cleveland Aradhana Committe and all their lovely team members of artists, big time and small time patrons and the latest first time Entha Row future raiskas ,vidwans and vidushis and few in there who will be real MahA AnubhAvulus. Ok strategic timeout is up over to music I have again winded the youtube link to shree ragam.

https://youtu.be/gunETqtwRpA?t=10470

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
You heard it all! Sundara Rajan and I were having problems in hearing Sundaram. Our imperfect hearing apart, the sound was wanting whenever he spoke--except when I heard him winding up the Aradhana festival with the conclusion of the dance competitions, winding up the mammoth undertaking. He said, how from two thousand or so attendees on AaradhanA day, the count this yearhad goe up to about five thousand, so no room at all in the hall,and had to move it to the stadium! As for the naysayers, let them deal not only with that mass migration of the crowd, but also in providing food for all the unexpected number of people! Let them at least once help in arranging/rearranging the stage after each program (I mean, with all the physical effort which goes into it!)