Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma's workshop at Vidyarthi's house

To teach and learn Indian classical music
vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Dear rasikas,

I feel very glad to announce that Sri.Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma garu is coming to Chennai on the 3rd March morning from Hyderabad to conduct a workshop on his "Easy techniques to approach Swara Kalpana and Raga Alapana" along with his unique 'ThaLa Prasthara".

The venue will be my Ramapuram house.

The Workshop Sessions would be as follows:

On 3.3.09 & 4.3.09 : two sessions each day : 9 am to 1 pm & 2 to 5 pm

On 5.2.09 : only one session : 9 am to 1 pm only.

He needs maximum 8 students of good standards(which I have already in my students).

And anyone who is willing to come can come as observers.

I am sure this workshop will enhance our mathematical insights into music and also equally give more clarity on swarapragna.

If someone wants to have a talk with him,they are welcome to do so after 5 pm on both the 3rd and the 4th.

Hope everyone have access to my address.

My cell numer is 9444974466.

You are welcome to contact me regarding attending Sri Akella's Workshop.

Neyveli anbudan.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Dear Coolji,please make a note of this and try to come someday.
Thanks,
Vidyaarthi.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Thanks,it will add to the ambience if you are there ,Coolji.

Vidyaarthi.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Lucky you, who are in Madras.
Neyveli sir, plus Akella-ji - heavenly!

I'm sure Forum members would very much appreciate a report on the workshop. thank you.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

We forumites are no longer satiated by reports- we now require photos and audiovisual recordings! Sri NSG and AMS- indeed a great combination.

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Do you think in Chennai there are no good teachers?

Instead of catching hold of half knowledge teachers here and there to sell his books and CDS , better if he can get the approval from Govt.music universities so that every one can get benifited and follow it. I think this is a good Idea.
Last edited by manjunath on 27 Feb 2009, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Akella sir has taken retirement from his busy profession and has dedicated the rest of his life for teaching and inspiring performers ,teachers and students.His motto is to enlighten the society as a whole on the divinity and discipline of our musical system.That is what has impressed me the most.

I have invited him to Chennai not only to learn new techniques and approaches in music but also to enthuse and inspire students of music with his vision and his going out of the ways to help learners.

He has not specified any remuneration or any other conditions like buying his books or cds,you know.

A senior student of him at Hyderabad went on explaining to me how difficult it is to make him accept even a small amount as Guru Dakshina to him;On the contrary,he wants his students to earn and build up a confidence that they can take up music as their career.

Morever,why not those half knowledge teachers become fully equipped teachers thro his unique methods of teaching.

Such dedicated teachers should be acknowledged in every way possible and that is why I am doing this. Manjunath ji,I hope you will accept my standpoint.

Vidyaarthi.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

bilahari wrote:We forumites are no longer satiated by reports- we now require photos and audiovisual recordings! Sri NSG and AMS- indeed a great combination.
:-)

Ditto.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

manjunath wrote:Do you think in Chennai there are no good teachers?

Instead of catching hold of half knowledge teachers here and there to sell his books and CDS , better if he can get the approval from Govt.music universities so that every one can get benifited and follow it. I think this is a good Idea.
I am sorry to say this post is not in good taste :( :( :(

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Manjunath: Your post is in very poor taste. ( what a difference a few months make :( )

Vidyaarthi has provided the response and we will leave it at that.

Let this thread be for the workshop by AMS at Vidyarthi's house.

AMS and Vidyarthi, best wishes for a great workshop and productive sharing of knowledge.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Yes. As mentioned by our brother-member, vasanthakokilam, this workshop is only for the productive sharing of knowledge in serving our Karnataka-music-community efficiently all over the globe at large but not at all to bring out our own talents at this age.amsharma

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Members
In the interest of sanity and decency stop discussing manjunath's comments or else we will be forced to close this topic.

Our apologies to NSG/Sarmaji for letting it to stay in the interest of 'Free Speech'.

Again reminding members that we will not tolerate personal attacks on other members /artistes

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Manjunath
Your post is inappropriate here. It has been deleted and moved to
http://rasikas.org/forums/post109906.html#p109906

You may pursue your further discussions there with interested participants.

Apologies to NSG Sir for this intrusion.

Moderator.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Manjunath sir

Whatever you want to say about Akella Sharma ji you have to start a separate thread. This is an important announcement about Akella's Visit to Neyveli Sir's house and has been arranged as a part of Knowledge sharing exercise. Neyveli Sir could have left this information to himself and to his own students which is numbering to more than 350-400 in chennai alone. In an effort to make use of the visit of Shri Akella sir Neyveli Sir shared this information with the Rasikas@org. That is all. If you want to make use of this you can make use of it. Else you can keep quiet. That would be best. Instead of saying something here about Sharma ji where Neyveli sir has in all decorum invited members with all catholicity, either you attend or ignore. This thread is not for settling difference between you and someone else. If you want to say something unrelated to this thread pls do so elsewhere if the moderators allow you to talk you can freely express. I request you not proceed with these nasty posts here wherein our own Legend Neyveli Sir has with all broad mindedness invited for knowledge sharing.

Mods please pick out the Posts of Mr.Manjunath and post them under a different head otherwise i request you to summarily delete these posts by Mr.Manjunath which is totally unrelated to this thread. Let personal differences be settled elsewhere not here.

Thankyou

Mannarkoil J Balaji

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear friends
Please discontinue discussions on Manjunath's post. In accordance with Balaji's request the discussion on his post and related issues is moved to
http://rasikas.org/forums/post109906.html#p109906

We are grateful to NSG sir for the kind invitation and for sharing it with our membership. We wish the function success it deserves with the intellectual participation of our members. We request him to post abstract of the proceedings and any other materials that he may wish to share.

Sarmaji is a highly respected savant and member of this Forum. As much as he is also a University Professor and Teacher , I am sure he will not shrink from answering quesions and debating his techniques with scholars which can be pursued in the thread cited above. Thanks

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-members, I am very much beholden to all our members for the reverence and affection they have been showing towards me. I hereby promise to all of you that I shall certainly do the needful in the ensuing workshop at Chennai in properly answering all the questions of the scholars as per my limited knowledge. amsharma

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Hearty thanks for the members for their understanding support for this noble endeavour.

Balaji sir has clearly echoed my views,

So,I am going ahead with the arrangements for the workshop with deeper involvement with all your best wishes and cooperation.

Coolji,more of Amir Khan means more and more of musical blessings.

Vidyaarthi anbudan.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Namasthe everyone,
I have arranged for lunch and light snacks for the evening for all the three days;Participants please note.
Vidyaarthti.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Dear friends,

Please note down my address:

"Periyava Pichai"
Plot No.1,
V.C.Kaliappa Naicken street(extn),
Nehru Nagar,
Ramapuram
Chennai-89

You can come via Nesappakkam road if you are coming from KK Nagar or via Nandamakkam if you are reaching via Kathippara.

Thanks and welcome to the workshop.

Vidyaarthi

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

rasikas ,

No feed back on this workshop. I am expecting curiously.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Sri.Akella Mallikarjuna Shirma's visit to our house and his unforgettable workshop mainly on 'Thala prasthara' took the participants(three of them post graduates in music and four of them graded artists of the AIR) to their heights in learning fresh approaches in laya techniques and understanding their own creative instincts with the opening up of the limitless horizons of the laya world by sri.Akella.

Personally I gained a lot of inspiration and guidance from him as to how an ideal teacher must live ,act and interact with anyone who wants to learn.

His total surrendering himself to the Almighty comes out through his words of conviction, so appealing and soothing to the mind.

He often admitted that in his long period of teaching as a lecturer in Govt of AP music college,he could not give a direct simple way of teaching.But later when he evolved a system of simple techniques thro which the entire learning process could be made so easy,naturally he wanted to propogate it to many,and mainly the common man.

I would definitely say with my experience as a teacher that Sri.Akella garu's simple techniques in both laya and swara need to be propagated for the sake of the ' kids' ;It is so unique and it will compliment any school of teaching in a very effective manner. As Akella ji said,the laya models if practiced by students at initial levels will give them immense confidence to further proceed in the subject;

Not only musical aspirants but anyone can learn his methods and their general levels of awareness,sharpness and understanding in any subject are bound to increase multifold.

In total,Sri Akella's two and half days of musical interaction at Chennai was a pure musical blessings to all of us.

Vidyaarthi.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks NSG Sir!
Any recordings that can be shared?

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Please wait for a week's time;I have to take the best one out of the many recordings done by individual students in their USB type recorders(how should I call them?) and post it.

Vidyaarthi.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cool,
When did you become a chief postmaster general? Are you releasing 1 Rs postoffice stamp ;) , could you upload please in a web photo sharing site like picasa at your leisure please.

msakella

Post by msakella »

In general, no Vidwan is ready to learn something however important it is from any other Vidwan. Even if at all a Vidwan wants to learn a new thing from another Vidwan like him he goes to him alone and learns but no Vidwan invites another Vidwan and sits before him to learn something from him along with his own students, A Vidwan who truely believes that we know very little of this ocean and always there is much not only to learn but also to pass it on to our ‘kids’ can only does this. Now, our ‘Vidyaarthi’, a true Vidyarthi, Neyveli Shri R. Santhana Gopalan did this with true spirit and stood ideal to many others.

It is a wonderful experience to conduct such a workshop before the teacher, being a Vidwan himself, along with his students. Most surprisingly every one among them had responded with equal inquisitiveness, enthusiasm and efficiency. All the arrangements are also made very homely and, in fact, it became difficult to move back from that place. I felt extremely happy about the outcome of it.

When I have expressed that it is the duty of every musician to make the process of teaching music easier for all our kids he agreed with me and promised to cooperate with me in doing the needful.

I am thankful to him for all his affectionate treatment. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 06 Mar 2009, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Neyveli Sir was very upbeat and very thrilled with the experience of Akella Garu to his house. It was a memorable experience for him. As is his wont neyveli sir always invites musicians and scholars of high calibre for such knowledge sharing exercise. Not only sir is interested in Music but also topics of Religion, Vedas, Upanishads, Tamil Literature, Devaram, Thiruppugazh and the list is endless. Not to mention about the hospitality one gets at the hands of his wife Mrs.Meera Santanagopalan and her mother. They are great people who deserve such a visit from great personalities. Not everyone is blessed like them.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

pshh . I was expecting more interesting pictures.coolkarni I think it is time you dump your cam for a new one ;)
Last edited by ganesh_mourthy on 06 Mar 2009, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Cool,
when did you become post master general. THAT WAS IN JEST I SUPPOSE.
PicS are tad tacky , it is time you change cam. (WITHOUT SMILEY) THAT WAS IN LIGHTER VEIN TOO.

IF THESE CRAIC FIGURE OF SPEECH CANNOT BE STOOD, THE WORLD BECOMES TOUGH FRIENDS.

Amendments to my previous post ,

THE PICTURES WERE INCREDIBLE AND AWESOME. hope that is convincing ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just one more anecdote that I wanted to share about shri neyveli. About 5 years before I attended a trinity thematic concert in SKGS ,where shri neyveli and his disciples sang ShyamAsAstri compostions for an hour.

Incidentally they sang about 7 or 8 krithis , not even one was sung in Anandabhairavi . I found it strange and just went straight to him and asked him just like that "enna sir shyama sAstri concertla Anandabhairavi'yE pAdala"(why did you not sing even Anandabhairavi krithi), he did not know me then and I did not know him then, I am sure many musicians would have given some kind of caustic remark or must have smiled outside and ignored me inside.

The surprise was Shri NSG called his disciples who were spread outside the hall and remarked "ayya yO , nAN eppaDi marendennu theriyalaya ivaru soNNar pAru Anandabhairavi pAdalennu nambalAm vittutamE "(O gosh how did we all forget and how did we miss ANandabhairavi). That showed his personality and needless to say his humility.

BTW when I am writing this post , I am hearing his 90's abhOgi nAnnu brOva , sheer bliss. :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you for such a lovely concert moment, rajeshnat --- and for the translation so that even I could enjoy :).

I can say... one can tell from seeing NSG in the sudience, that even listening, he is doing something special. Yes; even from seeing only the back of his head one can see, one can feel this. His attention must be very much appreciated by performers.

So different from the musician who arrives, chats with his fellows in the front row for a couple of songs, waves to the stage and departs. Still, as they say... it takes all sorts!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Cool for the video. The little segment captures the intensity. I can extrapolate to some extent how the whole session would have been. Quite a climactic moment at the end!! It left me thirsting for more.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Dear Rasikas,

Here is a feed(l)back about the workshop from a student(also a performer),Smt.Uma Money who had come all the way from Bangalore:

Like to thank Neyveli sir for including me in this program.

It was indeed a wholesome experience being with Akella sir during the three-day ‘Taala Prasthara’ workshop conducted at Neyveli sir’s house. An eye-opener for young children as well as for performing artistes and teachers wishing to groom their students into mature artistes with ‘laya pragnya’. The program included a lot of practical exercises and was totally participative.

I liked his advice especially about the role of teachers in "making their students independent imparting a strong basic foundation backed with solid encouragement"

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Wonderful writing, Coolji. Even as one who can little idea of what actually happened, you convey to me the feeling of having been there, and make me feel sorry that I was not.

And you make me think...

I have sat through workshops in which Birju Maharaj and Saswati Sen have taught things that I have no conception of how to do --- why should I not do that with music one day, should the opportunity present!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Coolkarni!
Sheer poetry!
Will read carefully (and enjoy) when I get more time!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Coolji, that was such a beautiful description of the proceedings... Thank you.

suswara

Post by suswara »

There are very good and patient teachers around world.
The teaching technics are already there. I think it is not necessary to inject the new methods.
First, teacher should encourage the student and mostly all students are very very busy and they may not accept
new methods like Laya Oriented. Now a days We cannot depends only on Music. The available Vidwans are running one after one
to survive themselves. The Sabhas are exploiting the Upcoming artists by not paying suitable remuneration.
Now a days, learning of music is for so many reasons. My dear teachers, please don't test their patiance and please encourage them to
protect and project our classical music.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Any sensible person welcomes any new methodology of any topic and follows it or rejects it basing upon its advantages and disadvantages. Only by the grace of the Almighty I was able to evolve this easy, effective and innovative system in teaching music (both for Vocal and Violin) to the aspirants and, unlike any other music teacher, made this process of teaching strictly time-bound and result-oriented. I always welcome if anybody comes out and prove any defects of it and I am ready to stop my propagation of them for the benefit of our society.
Unless an able teacher teaches his student the easy and short-cut methods of practice etc., mere encouragement will not shape him efficient. Only the easy and short-cut methods in the practice of Violin I taught to my disciple, Chi. O.Rajashekhar made him play the Kalyani-Ata-Varna mostly on ‘A-string’ but not merely the encouraging words (visit http://www.youtube.com/msakella to find him play the same). In the same website small kids ranging between 5 and 15years of age have ably rendered very difficult rhythmical exercises I shall be very happy if you, to prove yourself 'suswara', arrange to upload, within a week’s time to the same site, the video-clippings of other kids of the same age group who had reproduced the same and post the link here. amsharma

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Akellaji

When I have highlighted the facts, every one thought i am supporting Vinayrahul and his father . Only once i have seen Vinayrahul's program at Chiranfort club and i even do not know who they are. I heard Rajashekhar is concentrating whole time on music and he is around 26 years old of age. It is unfortunate you wrote bad about Vinayrahul ,when a talented kid presnted infront of the Mastreo Sri.MSG. You are asking every one's support for Rajshekhar. What is this be called? And who is a True Guru in this case. can you please explain ?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manjunath, Even then I very clearly wrote that I am answerable only to the Almighty who knows every detail but not to anybody. Even now I reiterate the same. But, now, even without knowing many of the details you have alleged me that I wrote bad about him. I shall be very thankful to you if you give me the exact wordings of my bad writings about him and also the exact wordings of whose support I have sought for in respect of Rajashekhar. After getting all the full details of them I shall certainly explain the needed. amsharma