Is there an age beyond which learning music becomes difficult?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
aravind_suresh

Is there an age beyond which learning music becomes difficult?

Post by aravind_suresh »

I am seventeen years old. I do not believe I am a musically gifted person. I have not received any formal or informal training in music to this date. While I realise that I lack an upbringing, a gift, and an early start in this department, I would like to study Indian classical music. Teachers are hard to come by since we are in the middle of a COVID-19 wave.

Is it late to start once I am 18/19 and likely independent from my parents? They have a hostile opinion of it.

Manian

Re: Is there an age beyond which learning music becomes difficult?

Post by Manian »

There is free solution. If you can go to youTube and type learning Carnatic Music, you will get tons of material. padma Bhushan" Nookala Chinna Satyanarayana's has given music lessons from start free. So, first you have to start there. Next, your voice- this can be trainined by efforts. So, watch Sri Ramavarma's vedios in Youtube. The point is not you sing well, are you dedicated and can remember the notes etc. So, no self pity is needed. So, try there first and you will progress soon.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I started learning vocal Carnatic music at around age 18.
I now teach instrumental Carnatic music. Recently I started some students who were aged 40 to 60 years old.

Manian

Post by Manian »

Yes. There is no age restriction. However, as a caution if you can consult an ENT doctor and with endoscopy check your vocal chords for problems. With aging, it will take more time to get the sruti and if you start with a high pitch 4.5 Kattai etc., you may strain and it may be painful. For many it may not be a problem. I no couple of people got into trouble with vocal chord pain. Just a precaution, but in our system there is no age to restrict your singing.

msakella

Post by msakella »

it is not that easy even to the competent music-teachers to answer this logically and properly !!! amsharma/msakella