My First Post: Forgive & Comment

To teach and learn Indian classical music
ViswaSu

My First Post: Forgive & Comment

Post by ViswaSu »

Dear All Rasikas,

Pranam's/Vanakkam/Vandanam.

This is my first post as an aspirant who started to learn carnatic music from chennai as a male adult at age of 34 yrs.

Yes, you are right, I also feel the same that age is mere number and believing in that with the help and support of my family, I started to learn it for around a month now.

Basically, I sing Tamil cinema songs most of the time for my passion/time-pass and off-late I got interest with carnatic music due to its richness and the kind of devotion towards Iraivan (God) and Iravi (Goddess) like we call it in our mother tongue it gives as pure essence of spirituality which we cannot get with cine songs very easily.

The reason for my first post is to understand what are all the best daily practice exercise you can recommend based on all your experience with various artists and teachers.

My Guru has told me to practice this way which I feel might be useful to others if not already known and hope others will also share your thoughts though it question is age old and might be boring.

1. Practise Saralivarisai in swara's, akaram, ekaram, ukaram (3 speeds)
2. Jantai Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.
3. Dhatu Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.
4. Melsthayi Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.

Wishing everyone all the very best, and hope there will be more suggestions.

Best Regards,
Viswanathan Subramanian

nadhasudha

Re: My First Post: Forgive & Comment

Post by nadhasudha »

ViswaSu wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 16:30 Dear All Rasikas,

Pranam's/Vanakkam/Vandanam.

This is my first post as an aspirant who started to learn carnatic music from chennai as a male adult at age of 34 yrs.

Yes, you are right, I also feel the same that age is mere number and believing in that with the help and support of my family, I started to learn it for around a month now.

Basically, I sing Tamil cinema songs most of the time for my passion/time-pass and off-late I got interest with carnatic music due to its richness and the kind of devotion towards Iraivan (God) and Iravi (Goddess) like we call it in our mother tongue it gives as pure essence of spirituality which we cannot get with cine songs very easily.

The reason for my first post is to understand what are all the best daily practice exercise you can recommend based on all your experience with various artists and teachers.

My Guru has told me to practice this way which I feel might be useful to others if not already known and hope others will also share your thoughts though it question is age old and might be boring.

1. Practise Saralivarisai in swara's, akaram, ekaram, ukaram (3 speeds)
2. Jantai Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.
3. Dhatu Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.
4. Melsthayi Varisai (3 speeds) and akaram.

Wishing everyone all the very best, and hope there will be more suggestions.

Best Regards,
Viswanathan Subramanian
Vanakkam ViswaSu,

Welcome to the forum. In addition to the varisais you have listed, you can also include Lower Sthayi varisais, Alankaarams (in 3 speeds), geethams and varnams as and when these lessons have been covered.

In addition you can also do some basic voice excercises - such as holding a note as long as possible. The goal should be that the note should be full with good tonal clarity and have utmost fidelity to sruthi.

Set measurable goals and periodically evalutate yourself. Learning is fun no matter our age.

Hope you enjoy learning carnatic music!

ViswaSu

Post by ViswaSu »

மிக்க நன்றி Nadhasudha Madam, for taking time to read my post and provide your valuable suggestions, I hope this will be useful to all other aspirants as well.

Thanks once again.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Practice early morning if possible using sruthi, harmonium, potti, and talam

ViswaSu

Post by ViswaSu »

:)
VK RAMAN wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 23:30 Practice early morning if possible using sruthi, harmonium, potti, and talam
Thanks Thiru VK RAMAN aiyya...