AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods

To teach and learn Indian classical music
mkranthikiran

Re: AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods by

Post by mkranthikiran »

Respected Sir, I have a doubt regarding ragalapana. Are there any specific rules to sing an alapana? As we have learnt in theory, an alapana must contain introduction, key prayogas of the raga, some sancharams, prastarams and a conclusion. Does this really work out? In what way should we practice to develop a good alapana?

One more doubt, what is the meaning of Sarva swara gamaka varika rakti ragam? I had to include this term for almost all the raga lakshanas in our theory exams.

Can you please explain me about these in detail?

Thanks

Kiran Mudigonda

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, mkranthikiran, In which way eatables should be tasty and inspirative to the eater the Alapana of a Raga should also be tasty and inspirative to the listerner. Basing upon the duration of the Alapana of a Raga you have to make the volume of its content only increases or decreases. For example, basing upon the size of the picture of an animal the limbs of it may become big or small and, in the same manner, irrespective of the duration of the Alapana of a Raga it should give full taste to the listener. If you have to sing Alapana of a Raga for a Ragam-Tanam-Pallavi of an hour you can follow the Akshiptika (introductory part), the four Ragavardhanis (elaborative part) and Sthayi or Makarini (conclusive part) but for a duration of 5 minutes you have to cut short all the items of them accordingly.

And, in respect of learning, a small kid always learn things by observing and imitating the deeds of his parents and, thus, the first level of learning is always imitation, though many of the music teachers do not agree with me but escape from the responsibility of teaching Svarakalpana or Ragalapana. I have made umpteen experiments in this respect upon many kids and found that like the vaccination of Svarakalpana and Ragalapana the aspirant should start with singing easy-muktayis and sangathis with symbolised notation respectively. For this purpose only, for the first time in the history, I have brought out my book, Sangeeta Svararaga Sudha (English/Telugu) containing easy-muktayis for six daily used Talas and Alapana of 36 Ragas along with symbolised notation and supplied along with a mp3 CD by which the aspirant starts with imitating them and gradually builds up his own originality. If you are interested you can follow this book.

‘Sarva-svara-gamaka-varika-rakti-ragam’ is a modern term bringing out the details of notes which can be used along with Gamaka, Varika and also maintaining ‘rakti’. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Previously 23 Special-laya-exercises are furnished elsewhere in this thread for the purpose of increasing, strengthening and stabilising the rhythmical abilities and, thus, instill confidence into the aspirants. Now, one more exercise is also added making a total of 24 Nos. (Gayathri-laya-saadhanalu) and all of them are furnished hereunder with some slight modifications for the benefit of the aspirants.

SPECIAL RHYTHMICAL EXERCISES

Important note: Some of the excercises have to be sung with both hands where in the right hand beat is followed by a left hand beat which facilitates a balance in Laya. Some of these exercises are furnished in the playlists of Laya-exercises of ‘youtube.com/msakella’ and in the mp3 CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007.

01 Rendering of.7 Jati-alankaras @ 4-units, i.e; k-t-t-k per second. For e.g. the Eka-tala alankara is rendered spelling k-t with the right hand beat denoting the Talanga followed by the rendering t-k with the left hand beat.

02. Rendering of Trisra (t-k-t -3), Khanda (t-k-t-k-t - 5) and Mishra (t-k-t-k-t-k-t - 7) Jatis @ 4-units per second in Adi-tala (Chaturashra-gati) with both hands.

03. Rendering of Trisra(3), khanda (5) and Mishra (7) Jatis @ 8 units per two seconds in Adi Tala (Chathurashra-gati) with both hands.

04. Rendering of Trisra (3), Khanda (5) and Mishra (7) Jatis @ 8-units per 2 seconds in Adi-tala( Chaturashra-gati ) the Tala with the right hand only.

05. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 8-units per 2 seconds with both hands.

06. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 8-units per 2 seconds with the right hand only.

07. Rendering of Chaturashra-jatis in Adi-tala (Chaturashra-gati) with both hands @ 4-units per second ending each Avarta with one Khanda-jati extending to the next Avarta.

08. Rendering of Chaturashra-jatis in Adi-tala (Chaturashra-gati) with both hands running @ 8-units per 2 seconds ending each Avarta with one Khanda-jati extending to the next Avarta.

09. Rendering of Chaturashra-jatis in Adi-tala (Chaturashra-gati) with the right hand running @ 8-units per 2 seconds ending each Avarta with one Khanda-jati extending to the next Avarta.

10. Rendering of Chaturashra (4), Khanda (5) and Mishra (7) Jatis @ 3-units per second in Trisra-gati Adi-tala with the right hand only.

11. Rendering of Chaturashra (4), Khanda (5) and Mishra (7) Jatis @ 6-units per 2 seconds in Trisra-gati Adi-tala using both hands.

12. Rendering of Chaturashra (4), Khanda (5) and Mishra (7) Jatis @ 6-units per 2 seconds in Trisra-gati Adi-tala with the right hand only.

13. Rendering of Trisra-jatis in Trisra-gati Adi-tala running @ 3-units per second with the right hand ending each Avarta with one Chaturashra-jati extending to the next Avarta.

14. Rendering of Trisra-jatis in Trisra-gati Adi-tala running @ 6-units per 2 seconds with both hands ending each Avarta with one Chaturashra-jati extending to the next Avarta.

15. Rendering of Trisra-jatis in Trisra-gati Adi-tala running @ 6-units per 2 seconds with the right hand only ending each Avarta with one Chaturashra-jati extending to the next Avarta.

16. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 4 & 3-units per second with right hand only.

17. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 8 & 6-units per 2 seconds with both hands.

18. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 8 & 6-units per 2 seconds with the right hand only.

19. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units per Kriya per second or in a convenient tempo with the right hand only.

20. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units per two Kriyas per two seconds or in a convenient tempo with both hands.

21. Rendering of 7 Jati-alankaras @ 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units per two Kriyas per two seconds or in a convenient tempo with the right hand only.

22. Rendering of a Khanda Jati (5-units) followed by consecutive rendering of Chaturashra Jatis (4 units) in the 2nd degree of speed, in Khanda-chapu-tala/Trisra-rupaka-tala running @ 4-units per second. Selected muktayis should also be rendered at complex commencing points (eduppu) in first and second degrees of speed. (The students of Dance and percussion are expected to render Jatis whereas the music students are expected to sing Svaras also).

23. Rendering of a Mishra Jati (7-units) followed by consecutive rendering of Jatis of Chaturashra Jatis (4 units) in the 2nd degree of speed, in Mishra-chapu-tala /Trisra-triputa-tala running @ 4-units per second. Selected muktayis should also be rendered at complex commencing points (eduppu) in the first and second degrees of speed. (The students of dance and percussion are expected to render Jatis whereas the music students are expected to sing Svaras also).

24. Rendering of easy muktayis of 3 kinds, both in terms of Jatis and respective Svaras for the Kritis in Rupaka, Khanda-chapu, Chapu, Adi (medium-tempo), Adi (slow-tempo) and Adi (Trisra-gati) furnished in the book ‘Sangita Svararaga Sudha’.

venkatakailasam

Re: AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods

Post by venkatakailasam »

Please read the article about Sri. Palladam S.Venkataramana Rao at :

http://www.palladamvenkataramanarao.com/profile.php

Two of his concerts provided by Podhigai DD are available at this link:

Folder name: Harmonium:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/3wivle1n0o26l
The above link includes performance by Anantharaman and v seetharamiah also.
venkatakailasam

joeraman

Post by joeraman »

can u give the brief information on that topic?

S.Balaji

Post by S.Balaji »

Akellaji,

I understand there was a lecdem on 25th at Vidyamandir. Sir, can we have the details pls. If possible, video uploads too.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, S.Balaji, Yes. There was a lecdem on 25th at (I think) ARK Vidyamandir from 9-45 to 11-50 am arranged by Chi. Shashikiran. As usual, as I am always bothered how quickly and efficiently I can make our kids sing the Svarakalpana and Ragalapana and as the time was short, I could briefly demonstrate for nearly 2 hrs. about singing Svarakalpana only.

In which way our conservatives very strongly believe that there are no easy methods or short-cut methods in making the aspirants sing Svarakalpana or Ragalapana, even though I was also one of the victims of the traditional-methods of teaching, I, as a duty minded-teacher, was compelled to find one way or other to make my aspirants sing both Svarakalpana and Ragalapana. Fortunately enough, only by the grace of the Almighty and unlike any other music-teacher, I was able to find a way in making my aspirants sing Svarakalpana and Ragalapana even before the completion of 10-selected-varnas. Basing upon these methods I have since been training some of our kids and I have already uploaded some of the videos to ‘youtube.com/msakella’s channel’ and also furnished all the details in this thread for the benefit of the aspirants and their parents, if at all they want. Even the 11 years old kid, Shi. Shreenidhi, who successfully sang the concert in the Global Rasikas meet on 19-12-2010, was also trained in this system and became able to successfully sing Svarakalpana and Ragalapana even before the completion of Varnas within the duration of one year.
I believe that only imitation is the first level of learning for any aspirant and that is why even the Varna has also been introduced in our system keeping this idea only in view. But, supplementing to Varnas, basing upon my rhtymical knowledge as a Mridangist in my younger age, I have formulated some intricate rhythmical exercises along with some easy-muktayis from ‘Mullapudy School of Mridangam’ which instills confidence into the aspirant to proceed further on his own. If you are truly interested to know the details you can go through my CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007, which is available from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/ ... hods-2007/ and also from another thread ‘Easy muktayis - their utilization in Svarakalpana’.

As I do not know whether my lecdem has been recorded, Chi. Shashikiran or the authorities of that hall may kindly be addressed for further details. amsharma

nandiraju

Post by nandiraju »

Dear All,

While going through the string, I believe there has been many people, who had shown tremondous interest in the AMS Easy Methods and the same is still continuing. The fact that I would like to bring out, is when these mehtods have been so successful, and there are live examples of the kids performing wonderfully, then why the teachng schools and the "paddhati's" be moved into this method. While there may be many facts, which I stronglybelieve may be blocking, but as rasika's there is a necessity, that we need to start training our future artistes in the filed, and cannot wait any more time, than to take this tested and successful method into the schools and music colleges. This program not only gives the music learners insight about what is needed to be done, but also gives direction in the way that is needed to be moved. Apart from excercises, there is a CD which contains all the things sang in a manner which are easy to follow and do a self learning as well.

Teachers are the one who should guide and should show the student the path, once the same is done and is through, then the student would know what is needed to be done. For e.g., we would learn the mathematics by addition, substraction, mulitplication and division in our childhood, however the same is used in almost every day activities. For which, we are not having any teacher following or holding our hands, why the same does not happen in music as well.

While I strongly believe, that the path of music should be shown and the basics and music should be thought, however, it depends on the capacity of the learner and practicer to follow the path and reach the sky.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, nandiraju, What you wrote is absolutely true. Even after viewing the kids’ successful videos furnished by me in ‘youtube.com’ this kind of successfully proven novel method of teaching must immediately be introduced in all the Karnataka-music institutions all over the globe for the benefit of the aspirants who have since many years been wasting their time, money and energy in learning this music in the traditional method for years together but not getting the Manodharma-sangita at all at the end of their sturuggle. Long ago, in this thread, I have also appealed to the teaching community to follow these methods in training their aspirants and put the videos of their successful aspirants in ‘youtube.com’ which will inspire many of the aspirants. But, not even a single video has ever been uploaded to ‘youtube.com’ obviously revealing their total disinterest in following this novel method. No music teacher wants to follow or propagates this novel method of teaching muisic as it not only curtails their earnings drastically by reasonably quickening the process of teaching the items but also brings back the responsiblity of teaching Manodharma-sangita to their aspirants from which they have all along been escaping. That is why even the Great Music Academy, Chennai had washed their hands by simply giving me the TTK award but not showing any interest in the propagation of these new methods even for the benefit of our own kids. This is the present state of affairs of our beloved Karnataka-music and our beloved kids. amsharma

nandiraju

Post by nandiraju »

I fully agre with you Sir. Vidwat sabhas should just try to think in the new direction and keep in mind the base requirement of music propaganda rather than other related matters which are irrelevant when it comes to training and keeping the art alive. If the same is not there, then the art and the learners would suffer. How many of such students who may be gems but are lost becuase of frustration comming out of such methods, where they would loose interest thus losing them permanently.

In this current world where opportunities are more and patience is less, there should be a tested method which would tackle all the requirements and this method should undergo implementation at all teaching centres. This would get more students to the fold owing to increased interest and would achieve the same result on income patterns as well, by teaching new students.

When competition increases, there would be increased interest and the product would be better. While I am not aware how the others are feeling, but from a personal perspective, I would like my Son and daughter to be taught in this new method so that they would learn their bid quickly. I request all the rasikas who are parents, teachers, grandparents etc., also to start giving this new methods a thought, and try it so that the students would get the ultimate benefit.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, nandiraju, Now, some people at Hyderabad are able to realise the importance of this new method of teaching music. Here, nearly 6 years back I have trained a 11 year old highly talented boy, Chi. J.S.Shriram. Within a duration of 3 years he was able to give a 2 hrs. concert efficiently and till now he had given 70 to 80 full-length-concerts including one such concert in the Music Academy, Chennai in and around April, 2010. Having become inspired, his father Shri J.S.Eshwara Prasad, a famous Nritya-sankeertana-artist and his mother, Chi. Sow. Chidroopa Lakshmy, a post gradute and gold-medalist in music from Telugu University started teaching in this system to some of the aspirants. In their institute, 3 years back, while there are only 12 students to learn, now there are 72 students learning among which each and every student is proceeding further successfully with enormous self-confidence due to this rhythm-oriented methods of teaching music. Having become inspired, Shri J.S.Eshwara Prasad had even resigned to his lucrative job and recently registered three institutions, 1.AMS Foundation for research and development, 2.Swarabhangima for teaching and training the kids in music and 3.Sampradaya arranging monthly-concerts for showcasing the talents of the kids for the benefit of the younger generation. He is the only such person I have ever seen sincerely doing yeoman service to the society along with all his family members through these 3 institutions.

Even after attending the 45 mts. successful concert of Chi. Shreenidhi at the Global meet of Rasikas at Chennai on 19-12-2010, having become inspired, some aspirants from Chennai and also from US have started learning through Skype. In the same manner you can also send your kids to learn music through Skype. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, The 25-Special-laya-exercises furnished in the previous pages have again been modified and furnished hereunder along with the serial number, indicative figure and respective definition for the benefit of the aspirants. amsharma

28.Special-laya-exercises

01.7-1/2 - 7-jati-alankaras - Eka-kala - with two hands.
02.7-7-1/2 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with two hands.
03.7-7-1/1 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with right hand only.
04.8-1/2-3, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with two hands - 3, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
05.8-1/1-3, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with right hand only - 3, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
06.8-2/2-3, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with two hands - 3, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
07.8-2/1-3, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Dwi-Kala - with right hand only - 3, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
08.8-1/2-----5 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with two hands - Khanda-jati in the end of each Avarta.
09.8-1/1-----5 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with right hand only - Khanda-jati in the end of each Avarta.
10.8-2/2-----5 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with two hands - Khanda-jati in the end of each Avarta.
11.8-2/1-----5 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with right hand only - Khanda-jati in the end of each Avarta.
12.8-1/1-4, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with right hand only - 4, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
13.8-2/2-4, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with two hands - 4, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
14.8-2/1-4, 5, 7/3 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with right hand only - 4, 5 & 7 - Jati-groups - 3 varieties.
15.8-1/1----4 - Adi-tala - Eka-kala - with right hand only - Chaturashra-jati in the end of each Avarta.
16.8-2/2----4 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with two hands - Chaturashra-jati in the end of each Avarta.
17.8-2/1----4 - Adi-tala - Dwi-kala - with right hand only - Chaturashra-jati in the end of each Avarta.
18.7-7-2/2 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with two hands.
19.7-7-2/1 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with right hand only.
20.7-7-1/1-4 & 3 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with right hand only - in Chaturashra & Trisra-gatis.
21.7-7-2/2-8 & 6 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Dwi-kala with two hands - in Chaturashra & Trisra-gatis.
22.7-7-2/1-8 & 6 - 7-jati-alankaras with Talas - Dwi-kala with right hand only - in Chaturashra & Trisra-gatis.
23.7-7-1/1-1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 - 7-Jati-alankaras with Talas - Eka-kala with right hand only - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units.
24.7-7-2/2-1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 - 7-Jati-alankaras with Talas - Dwi-kala with two hands - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units.
25.7-7-2/1-1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 - 7-Jati-alankaras with Talas - Dwi-kala with right hand only - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8-units.
26.10----- , 4 - Khanda-chapu - with only one Khanda and all Chaturashra-groups.
27.14----- , 4 - Mishra-chapu - with only one Mishra and all Chaturashra-groups.
28.SSS-3 kinds of Muktayis of 6 Talas furnished in Sangita Svararaga Sudha.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Sarmaji
As I was interestingly watching the Jaya TV Carnatic Idol program I noticed that many of the contestants got tripped
by questions on laya despite their astute raga gnaanam and kalpana swara felicity. Some of them had 17 to 18 years of
musical training. It occurred to me how they would have benefitted by your system in gaining solid
laya gnaanam even in about three month's training. It incidentally shows the weakness in the current
system of musical training which partly ignores laya or the training is inadequate. I eagerly
look forward to one of your students competing in future and acing it (by God's grace) which will be a true vindication
of your innovative teaching methods.
regards

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, cmlover, Having been invited by Shri Ajit Neelakanthan, Agni Cultural Academy Annamnada, Thrissur, Kerala, I have given two Lec-dems on the easy, effective and innovative methods of teaching music, Svarakalpana and Ragalapana in particular on 27th and 28th Nov., 2010 which was well attended and well received.

And, just now only, I have received SMS from him saying “News from agni: TVM (may be Trivandrum) – N.J Nandini & Vishnunath have become the 1st & 2nd runner-ups in the Carnatic music idol competition by Jaya TV. Nandini’s mobile – 9446460618”.

I am happy to find my services are being spread and properly arriving and utilizing by our kids and in turn the standards of our kids are increasing abundantly. amsharma

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Congratulations Sarmaji
It is pleasing to know that your system is helping candidates excel ,though it is not known explicitly.
There should be a wider explicit recognition from among the teachers of Carnatic Music...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Students excelling in such performances must openly give credit to their Guru by name at the open forum itself.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VKR
I second your proposal...

msakella

Post by msakella »

Mostly conservatives don’t want any change and try to hinder even any rational progress in the society. Moreover, in these traditional arts like our Music, as conservatives are more and dominate, they all will certainly oppose any change in any system even that change is known explicitly and proved as the best beyond any doubt. But, based on the efficiency, success and convenience of the novel system, they will be compelled to yield and gradually come down to follow it. But, it takes much time and we all must be patient.

While in my service I did not justify as a teacher and, to be honest, I must pay-back to the society in one way or the other. That is why I have given up even my lucrative artist-life, being a Top-grade Violinist, and took up the propagation of these easy methods in teaching music as the mission of my life but not to earn any recognition or fame or money or honours or titles. I shall be extremely happy if our kids are benefited by following these methods. That is what I want and more than enough. I am very much beholden to you all for your sincere appreciation.Thank you all. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

While responding to the post of our brother-member, cmlover, I forgot to mention an important point in my last post. According to his wish of my students competing in future and acing it, I would like to reiterate that the criterion in learning these novel methods of teaching is only to give them to as many aspirants as we can to make them independents in all respects of our music but not to compete with anybody.

Presently my disciple, Chi. J.S.Shriram, has become not only an accomplished artist but also an efficient, honest, critical and reliable teacher even at this young age of 17 years and I always wish to encourage him both in teaching and performing but not in useless competing. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

In the olden days our people were used to walk all the way to and from Varanasi which was taking months or years to return. But, now, we all are able to fly by air and finish of the same task even within 24 hours. Are we not utilising the modern facilities to do the same very easily, quickly and efficiently? Even now if anybody tries to go to Varanasi in the same manner he must be a fool and he must be sent to the mental hospital. One must properly think over the logic behind utilising the modern facility. The logic is to do the same very easily, quickly and efficiently saving time, money and energy. We must apply the same to everything to save our time, money and energy in every respect.
In fact, in our Karnataka music, all our conservatives hate even to touch the harmonium or the modern Casio as it does not permit us to play all our different oscillations of our music. Yes, that is true it does not permit. But, why Hindusthani-musicians even now rely upon the harmonium only. Its best quality is always giving away the pure note. The pure note is the base and basing upon it only all oscillations must be made. More over, we should not try to teach running to a small kid who is finding it very difficult even to stand on his own legs. Even in music, the aspirant must, at the first instance, be initiated to listen to and sing along with the pure note only. It is always healthier to the aspirant to teach him/her pure notes only up to Gitas to give him/her a good base. Up to Gitas, while initiating him to play the notes, he/she should also be initiated simultaneously to play all the exercises in all the 32-non-vivadi-melas to get acquaintance with all the 12 notes of our music. At this juncture, even more than a teacher, I tell, Casio is far more reliable than any other instrument to the aspirant to have the base of pure notes. Initiating him/her to play the Casio and later to sing along with those notes makes him knowledgeable in dealing with all the 12 notes and also makes him independent in doing things on his/her own. If this is truly followed by one and all our next generation will become more knowledgeable and independent than ever in music. But, no doubt, our conservatives will never think of any logic but certainly oppose this to hinder our progress.
Even the 7 years old kid, Aditya, son of Mr. Vasant, while learning even the Gitas, is now able to simultaneously sing all the 12 different notes by playing all the 32-non-vivadi-melas. Thus, he is able to successfully render many of the 28-Special-laya-exercises and also play all the Svara-exercises in all the 12 notes. How many kids of his age can do so? This is the greatness of the modern methods of teaching music. amsharma
(I am posting this in the ‘AMS Easy Methods-2007-Teaching/Learning Methods’ of the main thread ‘Music School’ also for the benefit of the aspirants and their parents)

Deepu

Post by Deepu »

Dear msakella,
I'm not able to open the mp3's that have been uploaded to the sangeethamshare site. Please let me know if I'm missing something.
For info, I'm getting this error:
"Internet Exploer cannot download auth.php from www.sangeethamshare.org. Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internite site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.Please try again later."

Thanks,
Deepu.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Try sangeethapriya.org instead. That site also hosts the sangeethamshare database, and is rather better-maintained these days.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Deepu, I just tried it and it worked for me. I first had to login using my google or yahoo username and password. After that it worked fine.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all!

At the outset, only by the grace of the Almighty, today, I am able to fulfill my long cherished desire of uploading nine select Varnas sung @ one note per each second to youtube.com for the benefit of our aspirants. The details of the technical-terms used in this respect along with their respective links are furnished hereunder.

Abbreviations: AA-Arohana & Avarohana, P-Pallavi, A-Anupallavi, MS-Muktayisvara, C-Charana, ES-Ettugadasvara.

01.Natakuranji-Adi-Varna:
01.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40sXKTLM74
01.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI90KvbmQd0
01.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68x9zrxvIto
01.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny69J33FRro
01.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_ROpZomEM
01.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Re81dpslU
01.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EoNM_GMJY
01.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nspXnRypJM
01.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfXBQe1NE4
01.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADvCOus4_BI
01.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwB8WlyjLHc

02.Kambhoji-Adi-Varna:
02.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtBWRij3IaU
02.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2izd-D_lps
02.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2E59vMdHM
02.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5L6uEKMAG4
02.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbWrJt6-6U
02.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTGPT_3he88
02.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q-oEL5s_9Y
02.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SrfZ3vkgsk
02.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_uN7sPa--4
02.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUy25Fh3S5I
02.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8rtC4AGgA
02.12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=026QgtDgxnY

03.Darbar-Adi-Varna:
03.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8y3nRB-YqA
03.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjlCzvtH1g
03.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8YPKZbYF4
03.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmZz1kIRiao
03.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqJjmLq7Gz0
03.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvjFC2RkkYg
03.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdz2BJSjkHA
03.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlZB3wlzUc
03.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=962Jo5lzClU
03.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8RQIoDtIDY
03.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E6a5h1h3vU

04.Shankarabharanam-Adi-Varna:
04.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0ZKm_jsYo
04.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PYNuOBAqQY
04.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Hayl1W0f8
04.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTgej8vQVo
04.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eLEDDncOI
04.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF8l3d7csn0
04.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fH6GTWnKfs
04.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-BVrLORFc
04.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSbzQ-i3LQ
04.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_JJoYqF5EY
04.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38z7PC9Vpw

05.Kalyani-Adi-Varna:
05.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oRbcv9cBpY
05.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8IrC8pPgQ8
05.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJl7im3_P9k
05.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paU4bAUrGL0
05.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSLo0D6DkfQ
05.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo6Q9ZCZ9Rk
05.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh-pOMDwtlU
05.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQiEjVdMr5A
05.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBkoUYLyL_o
05.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUa0V2Il5o
05.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Mce4T7JZY

06.Begada-Adi-Varna:
06.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UUrr3Mx5Lk
06.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9G1tH0w80
06.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aTytyD8jU
06.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvO-sl7pvM
06.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40p6wUKliGo
06.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StsDaeGhJo4
06.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INu8aQcpKM
06.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-Fde0XWu0
06.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEDxjynjug
06.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J_J88lOQwY
06.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYlZRiHP_Ik

07.Todi-Adi-Varna:
07.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZsEibj4Sx0
07.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mdy5ND2YFU
07.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbEz5rzAwh4
07.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RKIP-g4mpA
07.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjVPaRqHmeU
07.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFZnhkMGaU
07.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHmIo-we8R8
07.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUKpxh_p-zU
07.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8wj1iH2_k4
07.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZaNwk3T8gQ
07.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4ewfQOZVs
07.12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTCuRAkCfWI

08.Saveri-Adi-Varna:
08.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfIbKasr-f4
08.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_y6crFvWQ
08.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIRhErXfRPc
08.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KjW7InZxKc
08.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZHQ-_WAEhk
08.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEj634g99tc
08.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCRfBV9C5Yg
08.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BfQK1q5vU
08.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmr0NI05qo
08.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRbrOvdtr8
08.11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9wIcqEndZE

09.Bhairavi-Ata-Varna:
09.01 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlzkjY8wVjQ
09.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCV7YJ8CME
09.03 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN8C-zuI4xU
09.04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vQGcKqNeM
09.05 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZBCRacsaw
09.06 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL_PzbTFo8U
09.07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJqiD6Lgfc
09.08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2H0pihuVg
09.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2VCtSoyHQw
09.10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7lhvXjlkY

Anywhere, either the parents or the elders must always feel the responsibility of making things easier to the kids in make their lives enjoyable. But, while the parents have always been feeling the same and doing the same accordingly even without any recommendation from any corner, most unfortunately, nowadays, in our music in particular, it has many a time been proved that many of the elders are not feeling the same and doing things accordingly for the benefit of our kids.

In our music, while the Manodharma-music is the only criteria in learning music, according to the traditional-quantitative-method of teaching, the teacher is relieved of the responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of Manodharma-music in the aspirant which has very conveniently been thrusted upon his own head but can go on teaching a number of different compositions for years together. Umpteen experiments upon many aspirants in this direction undoubtedly proved that they themselves very easily get this knowledge with minimum or no guidance of the teacher within a very short time with a perfect plan of listening and practice of music which is called ‘the qualitative-method of teaching’. All the details of it have already been furnished in the previous posts of this thread.

In this process, the listening to and reproducing of select Varnas sung @ one note per each second helps the aspirant a lot in making him more knowledgeable in respect of Manodharma-music. In general, as far as my knowledge goes, no music-teacher prefers to do this as it is very difficult in many ways. So, I have long ago decided to do this on my own for the benefit of our kids but my age has not been allowing me to do so. But, ultimately, I am able to fulfill it. If all these different tracks are loaded into an mp3 player for repeated listening and reproducing the same the aspirants will certainly be benefited a lot. amsharma

vasanthakokilam

akellaji: Great list of youtube links. Your energy and enthusiasm is incredible.

I edited it a bit to make the links clickable ( by removing the dash between the "http" and the item number like "0.01".

There is something wrong with the first one nattakurinji 01.01 If you can find the right link, please post back here and I will edit the post above. Thanks.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, Thank you for your kind appreciation. Practically and truthfully how much we are helpful to our society? This is far more needed than receiving Bharataratna or any other international award or title and I feel extremely happy for being truly able to do some help to our aspirants even at this old age.

Your editions will certainly help the enthusiasts in arriving them.

As I am not well aquainted with all the technicalities of the computer I am always used to commit one mistake or the other and this is another mistake. After going through your post I have visited that site, searched frantically and, some how, found the relevant link, ‘http://youtu.be/a0Y4e-fedaU’. I have also tested it to find that it is working. Now, you can replace this. Thanks a lot for the help you are always doing. amsharma

vasanthakokilam

Thanks akellaji. I have fixed post #299 with the right link for the "01.Natakuranji-Adi-Varna" first part. Thx.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Youtube-video-links of the Kid’s-laya-exercises in terms of Jathis and Svaras are furnished hereunder for the benefit of thre aspirants. amsharma

01.3, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 5 units in Adii Chaturashra Gati Eka-kala - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8ZMWb3PXY

02.4, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 4 units in Adii Trisra Gati Eka-kala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWBmyhQzSbY

03.Jati-endings in Rupaka-tala-svarakalpana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASs93aQHeMU

04.Svara-muktayis in Mishra-chapu-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqEVmEY21K0

05.Svara-muktayis in Khanda-chapu-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNkqsLSbZd0

06.Svara-muktayis in Trisra-gati Adi-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS4UCvE0cxw

07.Intricate-laya-exercise in Khanda-chapu-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVXL4sRB2wM

08.Jati-alankaras @ 4 & 3 units
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTkDpUN6k8g

09.3, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 5 units in Adii Chaturashra Gati Eka Kala 17 05 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0hvUjh75zA

10.3, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 5 units in Adii Chaturashra Gati Dwi Kala 17 05 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYH5bYqlDSk

11.4, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 4 units in Adii Trisra Gati Eka Kala 17 05 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9lC7AUDLpY

12.4, 5 & 7 Jati breaks and ending each cycle with 4 units in Adii Trisra Gati Dwi Kala 17 05 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOm7CJ--Rc

13.Intricate-laya-exercise in Khanda-chapu-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9CesuSA94

14.Intricate-laya-exercise in Mishra-chapu-tala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PRSoU2VFk

15.Singing Svarakalpana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXjdMrtbkU

16.Singing Svarakalpana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3z4SWPRqw

17.Singing Svarakalpana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1gNowrxl0

18.Jati alankaras @ 4 & 3 Units Per Second 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaPSK3-fLeI

19.3, 5 & 7 breaks and ending each cycle with 5 units in Adi chaturashra gathi eka kala 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZdPcz4gM4

20.3, 5 & 7 breaks and ending each cycle with 5 units in Adi chaturashra gathi Dwi kala 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M__qIM5lu80

21.4, 5 & 7 breaks and ending each cycle with 4 units in Adi Trishra gathi eka kala 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73p-IwjIIxw

22.4, 5 & 7 breaks and ending each cycle with 4 units in Adi Trishra gathi Dwi kala 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IXRNv_XGoc

23.Mohana geetham @ 2, 3 & 4 units per second 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1RtoZ1Rhgg

24.Natakuranji varnam Purvangam @ 4, 6 & 8 units per second 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5azTHswtnm4

25.Natakuranji varnam Uttarangam @ 4, 6 & 8 units per second 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrrXVzQyOx0

26.Jathi muktayees and swarakalpana in Rupaka Thalam for siddhivinayakam at an odd starting point 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI7XCSiQfus

27.Jathi muktayees and swarakalpana in Khanda Chapu for Marivere at an odd starting point 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eQ1bUJ76c

28.Jathi muktayees and swarakalpana in Mishra Chapu for Prakkala Niabadi at an odd starting point 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwgzBkKLpIY

29.Jathi muktayees and swarakalpana in Adi for Subrahmanyena Rakshitoham at an odd starting point 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nrUq96NV0

30.Jathi muktayees and swarakalpana in Adi for Subrahmanyena Rakshitoham at an odd starting point 04 06 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntrZYN-2JI4

31.Alapana of Shankarabharana-raga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AB7mSaPyo

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi, all!

Having been nominated as a member by the Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, in those days, I was also attending the annual meetings of the South Zone Cultural Centre, Thanjavur, which were mostly held in Chennai. In those meetings, I was also insisting them upon conducting periodical Lecture-demonstrations and workshops to the students of the Govt. Music Institutions in all the four Southern-states under their jurisdiction submitting proposals to this effect offering myself to do the same even without any monetary benefit. But, even though they did not evince any interest in it but mostly in conducting performances of music or dance for their pecuniary advantage, once its Director casually forwarded my proposals to the then Director of Culture, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh and washed his hands.

But, the then Director of Culture, Shri Arja Shreekanth evinced interest in it and, in turn, invited me in 2005 to conduct periodical Lecture-demonstrations and workshops in all the 12 Govt. Schools/Colleges to increase the standards of the inmates of these institutions. But, while some of the Staff-members have attended them with reverence to my personality, some of them attended having become afraid of me and some of them attended with true interest in the subject. But, among all of them, now, only one are two are truly teaching them to the aspirants bringing them up to the higher standards. Thus, while many of the teachers are interested only in getting their salaries regularly and very few of them are interested in making their students also knowledgeable I was the only person striving hard even after my retirement having toured all the 12 Colleges and Schools of our State for one year in 2005 to 2006, each and every institute once in two months, even without expecting any monetary benefit conducting periodical Lecture-demonstrations and work-shops and trained the students in these new methods in the presence of all their respective teachers showing them all these new methods of teaching.

At the end of that academic year, I have selected 13 meritorious students from 6 Schools/Colleges, made them sing very rare and intricate exercises in music, recorded and submitted the relevant cassettes to the Director (the respective URL-links of them are furnished hereunder for the ready reference of the aspirants). He felt very happy upon the proceedings, obliged to issue merit certificates also to all these 13 candidates along with their respective teachers and again requested me to continue the same for one more year. But, even before the end of the 2nd year 2006-2007 that Director was transferred. As his successor Shri R.Kavitaprasad did neither show any interest in such developmental activities nor asked me to continue the same I have stopped my visits. Had he insisted upon continuing of such Lecture-demonstrations and workshops to the students by the already trained Staff-members, the standards I had build up in these two years would have certainly continued even later. But, as neither the Director nor many of the Staff-members are not at all interested the standards I have developed have gradually vanished. In the same manner, I have also visited the music-departments of various Universities of our State, Karnataka and Tamilnadu on my own propagating these easy methods in teaching music for the benefit of the aspirants. But, at last, I have found that only a very few teachers are interested in learning them only to utilize them in their concerts and, even among those few, a very few of them are teaching some of them to their students.

Later, on the request of the Executive Officer, Shri K.V.Ramanachary, I was invited to Tirupathi and conducted periodical Lecture-demonstrations and workshops in the S.V.College of Music & Dance, and within 3 months duration I have produced six meritorious students to whom Transcend mp3 players are presented by the E.O. himself. The URL-links of their renditions are also furnished hereunder for the ready reference of the aspirants. amsharma

URL-links of the renditions of the meritorious students of the Govt. Colleges of Music & Dance, AP:

01.Warangal:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/bc6ebc45-bb2e ... l-20012006
02.Guntur:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/11e370fc-bdf8 ... r-06022006
03.Vijayawada:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/7078a341-cebb ... a-14022006
04.Nizamabad:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/fc3b0b37-5f73 ... d-24022006
05.Hyderabad:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/1bae5b6b-213e ... d-27022006
06.Secunderabad:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/f2a2ad2f-8d67 ... d-27022006

URL-links of the renditions of the meritorious students of the S.V.College of Music & Dance, Tirupati:

01.A.Jaikrishna-B.Music:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/37e541b2-c586 ... rank-09.04
02.D.Munilakshmi-Visharada:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/7acf366b-fac0 ... rank-11.18
03.A.Sadashiva-B.Music:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/e333b44b-597d ... rank-09.08
04.N.V.Ratnamma-Visharada:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/065bb446-0acd ... rank-07.44
05.G.Lavanya-Praveena:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/c60c5ffb-9324 ... rank-09.58
06.M.Shrihariprasad-Visharada:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/e85e9324-a665 ... kers-14.11

mannari

Post by mannari »

dear sirs, in a period where most of the teachers hide things in the name of professionalism , either due to sheer selfishness for making or fear of losing money or due to lack of teaching knowledge, the personalities like MSA stand out toweringly. There is no doubt about future pros are on the making. Sir hats off to you !!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear mannari, Thank you for your kind appreciation.

We all are part and parcel of the society around. In our daily meal rice is supplied by somebody, pulses are supplied by another person, oils are supplied by another person and in the same manner all the ingredients are supplied by different persons ultimately giving us a delicious meal. This is a collective effort of all the members of our society. That is why every person must contribute his might in his own way even after his retirement as retirement is only for the body basing upon the age but not to the mind or to serve our brothers and sisters in making them fully equipped very quickly and efficiently.

Every music-teacher may not be much knowledgeable like me as the Almighty had chosen this body and this name to bring out new things like Talaprastara, modern methods of teaching music either vocal or violin, modern and reliable electronic music instruments like Shruti-mohini, Metronome, reliable notated music-books supplied along with pre-recorded mp3 CDs etc., etc. More over, at the same time, by the grace of the Almighty, I am blessed with all the needs abundantly, including computer knowledge, along with very nice contentment and peace. What else any person requires to lead a peaceful life? That is why, with all this equipment I am, in turn, able to efficiently serve HIM by serveing our brother and sisters around me even without expecting anything from any corner.

Most unfortunately, since many centuries, the traditional method is being followed in teaching music which facilitates not only to elongate the process of teaching to squeeze more money accordingly but also to very conveniently escape away from the responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita which is the crux of our Indian Music. And, being more sensitive than many of others, I also suffered a lot either in learning or teaching music without much benefit. Thus, just to be loyal to my occupation and also to pay back my society honestly, I was compelled to introspect myself thoroughly and to bring out a most reliable system of teaching music making the aspirants independent in all respects from the first day of learning.

The teacher who trains the aspirant in driving the motor-cycle should not drive it himself occupying the front-seat and keeping the aspirant on his back-seat and explaining him the operations of the machine but initiate the aspirant to operate on his own keeping the aspirant in the front-seat and himself on his back-seat. In the same manner, the teacher who trains the aspirant in cooking also should not cook himself keeping the aspirant in a chair and explaining him the process of cooking but initiate the aspirant to make the process of cooking on his own. This kind of initiation in teaching only gives the aspirant enormous self-confidence in proceeding further and further in learning anything on earth. By very strictly and vigilantly following this method and also bringing out different kinds of aids to help the aspirant in this process of his learning or for regular practice, I am 200% successful in making the aspirants efficient either in singing notated songs or in notation writing or in singing intricate mathematical-svarakalpana or in singing alapana of a Raga within a period of one-year. Presently I am striving hard to enlighten the people in respect of this modern methods of teaching music which not only makes the process ‘time-bound and result-oriented’ but also ensures to inculcate the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant thus helping both the aspirants and their parents (of course, not the teachers). amsharma

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

msakella wrote: the grace of the Almighty, I am blessed with all the needs abundantly, including computer knowledge, along with very nice contentment and peace. What else any person requires to lead a peaceful life? That is why, with all this equipment I am, in turn, able to efficiently serve HIM by serveing our brother and sisters around me even without expecting anything from any corner.

amsharma
Reading your posts certainly doesn't give that impression (at least to me). Your vitriol in almost every post (and endless put-downs) against other performing musicians / teachers reflects bitterness!! I am sorry to say :(

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear doyoucare,

By the grace of the Almighty as I have been able to do self-less service even at this old age I am answerable to HIM only but not to anybody else.

By the past experience I don’t need to care to respond to any anonymous persons. However, I shall answer your questions, as I want to avail the opportunity of enlightening our people through these posts.

Yes, even after my retirement from Govt. service in 1996 and even at this old age of 73 years, unlike any other musician on earth, I do care to feel fulfilling the social responsibility as a musician and also as a citizen.

Attitude defers from person to person and I need not or never do things to impress people around me. Whatever I know by my abundant and factual experience I want to bring it out to the notice of all and some may relish it and some may not? Kids may not relish what the elders tell but I need not care. Why should I?

What is the sole cause of my vitriolic attack upon musicians or music-teachers? Being myself one among them as both professional musician and professional music-teacher why should I abuse them? There must be a reasonable cause and base for this. Do you ever truly think of it? What kind of experience do you have to question me like this? Why do you keep yourself anonymous? It is obvious that you are afraid of the consequences. That is why you want to keep yourself anonymous as it conveniently facilitates you in mud-slinging as you like and also to escape away at any moment without being recognized. Very clever and intelligent chap you are!!! Very nice indeed!!! Congratulations and best wishes to you dear.

The heart-burning problems the socalled music-teachers are creating knowingly or un-knowlingly to all our poor aspirants and their parents naturally lead to this saturating point of disgust and disdain. When I had been to Chennai in December, 2009 to receive the TTK award, my good old friend Shri S. Nageshwaran told me almost shedding tears in his eyes ‘I was compelled to change the music-teacher 5 or 6 times to teach music to my grand-daughter, Chi. Shreenidhi, but, in spite of all, she was not at all taught properly by any one of them and I am not getting a reliable teacher even in the International centre for Karnataka-music, Chennai. I came to know that you are going to be honoured on 1st January, 2010 with the TTK award by the Madras Music Academy for your contribution of the modern methods in teaching music. Why don’t you help me in this respect by teaching music to my grand-daughter?’ I have told him to bring her, he brought her on the next day itself and even with severe fever and on my compulsion she sang a single line of a song excellently with a very nice musical sense. Even though Skype is not at all suitable to truly train an aspirant in music but to impart a mere music-lesson I have taken up mostly to initiate her to proceed further in music-lessons with the aid of a notated book and the pre-recorded mp3 CD, ‘AMS Easy Methods-2007’. She attended the class sometimes thrice in a week, sometimes twice and sometimes once only according to her convenience. Nobody believes me if I tell that mostly I have initiated her to sing but I did never sing at all in these classes except for half-a-minute or a minute very rarely. She was so fast that she could proceed on her own by following the notated book and the audio-files of the CD and finish learning of 10 items, 8 Adi-tala-varnas in different ragas of my plan and 1-ata-tala-varna and 1-svarajati in Bhairavi-raga in only 4 months. And, later, when Shri Nageshwaran expressed desire of making her sing in a mini-concert in the ‘Global-rasikas-meet’ in December, 2010, I have only initiated to do things on her own basing upon my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha (English) followed by another mp3 CD and she very ably performed in that meeting. There are hundreds of stalwarts in music in Chennai and they all are far better than me in each and every respect. But, most unfortunately, they all follow the useless traditional method in teaching music which facilitates not only to elongate the process of teaching only to squeeze money more but also to escape away from inculcating the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant. Even though many are well aware of my modern method of teaching music and its amazing results, unfortunately to the disadvantage of the aspirants and their parents, nobody is willing to follow it as they have not only to loose much of their income by quickening the process of teaching but also to take the additional responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant from which they all along been used only to escape away. Even in the high interest of our own kids and their parents none of these music-teachers is ready to follow this proven method of teaching music. Then, is there anything wrong in calling them cheaters and parasites? (I was also one among them for the first 20 years of Govt. service). Even though there may be only 5% of thieves but all the people, including these 5%, are taking every care in keeping their houses safe with locks and keyes.

Of course, I cannot abuse the freelance music-teachers, as mostly they are the impotent products of the salaried music-teachers who are compelled to live on music without any other alternative.
Even though every music-teacher may not be in the same manner, however, for example, I shall give very few details of these so called music-teachers (cheaters) hereunder. Please go through them, relish well and impress as per your own attitude.

1. A teacher in a music-college is always used to teach very little but drinks hot drinks much even on duty. In the annual examinations he promotes each and every student of his class even though they are not up to the mark due to his own inefficiency in teaching. But, at the end of the course, in the public-examinations, some how to get rid of these impotent students he connives with the practical-examiners and get the pass of all his impotent students. Ultimately, these impotent students are successfully getting their certificates but not music at all. As they all are compelled to live on music only they are teaching hundreds of students abnormally increasing the number of impotents.

2. A teacher in a music-college teaches very little in the college but teaches at his residence better than the college to the college students who pay more.

3. A teacher gives more marks to the students in the examinations who pay him the required amount.

4. Once a person had, somehow, managed to get a pass in the music-examination got appointment also on reservation basis. But, since more than 15 years not even a single student of him ever appeared for the public-examination. But, in spite of all this, he got promotion too. Students are hesitating to attend his class

5. Once, along with three other judges I had also acted as judge to select the candidate for the Lecturer’s post in a music-college. One candidate of reserved category among them could not answer any of my questions and we all have unanimously given zero marks to that candidate. But, ultimately, in spite of all this, he got the appointment. This is the state of affairs (I am not at all against such reservations but the mode of selection in keeping up the standards).

6. Once, a candidate somehow managed to pass a music-examination, joined as a part-time-menial in the beginning in one of the music-colleges but everytime bribing the higher-ups managed to get promotion as Attender, Accompanist, Asst.Lecturer and Lecturer. In future he will certainly be promoted as Principal.too. This is the state of affairs.

7. Having studied in one of the music colleges many of the aspirants passed B.A., M.A., and other examinations in music, but as they do not have even the minimum standards they are compelled to live on other petty jobs like street vendors selling news-papers or eatables or even railway porters etc., etc.

8. Many of the music teachers who are sufficiently earning by getting regular salaries, by getting periodical contracts from All India Radio and Doordarshan and by acting Practical-examiners and theory-paper-setters, are also eager to earn more money from private-tuitions and public programmes but squeeze money from the aspirants without teaching much. There is nothing wrong in earning much but they should not squeeze much money without teaching well.

9. Once, I have given lecture-demonstration on Svarakalapana in the music-department of a university. On listening to it one of its students commented with his friend, who was accidentally my friend also, that such intricate things should not be revealed to the students. Later, I came to know that the same person somehow managed to get his Doctoral-thesis approved, which was put aside but later approved with the intervention of its Vice-chancellor, and also to become the Professor of the music-department. God alone knows the fate of his students.

Even though this has already become a lengthy post and at this old age as I am unable to continue it further I shall stop here. To tell the fact, liike all the above I very well know umpteen bitter incidents of the music-teachers (cheaters) which cannot even be narrated here. There is no use in complaining to any authority as all the culprits are connived with each other. Believe me please, if at all any student-sufferer of any institute complains he/she will certainly be harassed to the maximum without teaching music and, somehow, made to stop attending the college. Then, is there anything wrong in calling them cheaters and parasites? Tell me, dear.

Almost since last three years I have been writing a number of posts in this thread giving fully details of this modern method of teaching music along with the respective details of different audio-files and video-files. I have also requested one and all to follow this modern method in the high interest of the aspirants and their parents and also to upload the relevant video-files of their aspirants to inspire other aspirants. But, till now, not even a single video has ever been uploaded and details furnished by anybody for the benefit of the aspirants. This obviously reveals that none of these so called music-teachers are interested in the true development of the aspirants but in their earnings by elongating the process of teaching and escaping away from the responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant. Even though many of the aspirants and their parents are truly interested in the modern method of teaching music as it quickens the process of learning and also ensures to inculcate the knowledge of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant no music-teacher cares them. God alone should save the aspirants and their parents from this music (magic)-teachers. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi, all!
While teaching the driving of a motor-cycle it is essential to make the aspirant sit in the front seat of the machine and the teacher must intiate him/her to drive the machine giving the needed instructions sitting behind him/her in the pillion seat. In the same manner even in cooking the teacher must initiate the aspirant to make things on his own. In the same manner, as music is a performing art it is always essential to invariably link the process of learning along with the practical experience. Very strictly following this manner this modern method facilitates to reasonably quicken the process of teaching basing upon the instinctive abilities of the aspirant. Thus, in this method, mostly, the teacher initiates the aspirant to start and proceed further basing upon the Casio-synthesiser (MA-150 or LK-230 having the facility of Metronome and Transpose), some audio-files furnished in mp3 CD, some video-files furnished in ‘youtube.com/msakella’s channel’ and notated books. Much vigilant care is taken by the teacher in observing his regular progress and in initiating him/her further each time. In this system initiating the aspirant in singing Varnas play a very important role which ultimately enables the aspirant proceed further even in learning Kritis mostly on his own. More over, even before the completion of Varnas, the aspirant becomes able to sing even intricate mathematical Svarakalapana and brief Ragalapana on his own along with singing and writing notation. To tell the fact, if any aspirant is unable to complete the learning of Varnas possibly within the duration of 1 ½ years maximum, unable to sing both Poorvanga and Uttaranga of each Varna @ 4, 6 & 8 units, unable to learn Kritis on his own and also unable to sing mathematical Svarakalpana and Brief Ragalapana it must be presumed that the teaching is highly defective.

In this ‘time-bound and result-oriented’ plan of teaching up to Varnas, one aspirant of 11 years of age and with a little background in music could learn them in 15 days, another aspirant of 15 years of age and with a little background in music could learn in 3 months, another aspirant of 11 years of age and with a little background in music could learn in 4 months, another aspirant of 7 years of age and without any background in music could learn in one year. Thus, depending upon their instinctive abilities, the kids could learn things fast.

Since last three years I have been writing various details of the modern method in teaching music in this thread for the sole benefit of the aspirants, their parents and the so-called music-teachers expecting some noble, efficient, honest and reliable teacher follow this method for the relief of some aspirant and his/her parents. Moreover, this modern method has also been brought out in the head ‘Get Carnatisized’ of MyCarnatic.com for the benefit of all. But, the absolute silence sincerely maintained by all the music-teachers on the globe in properly responding to this topic has obviously proved beyond any doubt that no music teacher upon earth is ready either to quicken the process of teaching and accordingly to minimise his/her regular income or to take the additional responsibility of inculcating the knowledge of Svarakalpana and Ragalapana etc., of Manodharma-sangita in the aspirant which has all along been avoided wantonly and thrown upon the aspirant himself/herself in the useless traditional method of teaching.

Now, as no music teacher is interested in following this modern method in teaching even for the benefit of the aspirant and his/her parents, I, even at this old age, have decided to help even a very limited number of able and hardworking aspirants through Skype if the aspirants are ready to work hard and the parents also take the responsibility in making their kids work hard as per the schedule given by me. If, in any case, this is not very strictly adhered to either by the aspirant or the parents I shall be compelled to stop at any time.

The aspirant must be strictly between 8 and 12 years of age. This condition is relaxable for 2 years on either side depending upon the instinctive talent, grasping power and hard work of regular practice of the aspirant. The progress of each and every aspirant will certainly be noted and vigilantly observed to continue him/her on the rolls.

At the first instance, there will be a test to assess the instinctive talent of rhythm of the aspirant. If it is found satisfactory another test in Shruti follows. If the aspirant is found satisfactory in both the aspects of Laya and Shruti he/she will later be initiated to practice different rhythmical exercises regularly to increase his/her rhythmical abilities. Only after attaining certain level of rhythm lessons in music will be started. The aspirant must regularly practice for a minimum 2 to 3 hrs. up to the end of learning Gitas and 3 to 4 hrs. of regular practice up to the end of Varnas.

The aspirant has to attend the class thrice in a week on alternative days. The duration of the class will be between 5 mts., and 45 mts., basing upon the need. Any aspirant will mostly and efficiently be trained up to Varnas making him/her able to proceed further with learning Kritis on his own with minimum assistance of the teacher.

Interested parents of the aspirants can contact me through the ID ‘msakella2002’ on Skype or my phone numbers, 040-27054232 or 040-27051110 or 9908822992 to know the terms and conditions.

vasanthakokilam

As per the request of Sri. AMS i have uploaded several files to

http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... PerSecond/

These are various varnas rendered with one note per second to facilitate easier learning of these varnas by students.

1. Natakurinji
2. Kambhoji
3. Darbar
4. Shankarabharanam
5. Kalyani
6. Begada
7. Thodi
8. Saveri
9. Bhairavi

There are a total of 100 files. Each varna is split into the various constituent parts so it is easy to practice that part repeatedly.

This is a great asset and treasure for students who want to learn these varnas.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, I am very much beholden to you for the help all along you have been doing for me and for our aspirants. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all,

Just now I have uploaded to ‘youtube’ the video of the music-concert of the youngest kid, Chi. Kashyap (8 yrs. old) held on 05-06-2011 at Secunderabad who stood first out of 7 concerts under the banner, Sampradaya in its 1st annual celebrations held from 2nd to 5th June, 2011. He was accompanied by another disciple of mine, Chi. O.Rajashekhar on Violin and Ch. Ramakrishna, disciple of Chi. M.L.N.Raju of Vijayawada on Mridangam.
The respective URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlHRXfLPgkk

Chi. Kashyap has been learning Karnataka-music since last 3 years along with his elder brother, Chi. Sheshaank (10 yrs. old) under the able guidance of my disciple, Chi. J.S.Shriram (18 yrs.), who had learnt under me from his 12th year in the novel system I have brought out and been giving full-fledged concerts of 3 hrs. since last 3 years.

I very well know that many of the aspirants and their respective parents are highly interested in learning classical music in the new system I have brought out as the aspirants certainly become knowledgeable in Manodharma-sangita within a very short time if they learn under this novel system. But, as all the aspirants along with their parents are compelled to depend upon the available music-teachers who do not want to follow this new system not only by loosing their regular income by quickening the process of teaching but also to take the additional responsibility of teaching Manodharma-sangitato the aspirant, they all are in helpless condition.

Unless the aspirants and their respective parents take a bold step and start learning music under this new system this menace could never be stopped like in our area at Secunderabad where more than 60 aspirants have been admitted by their parents changing from their old teachers and all of them are learning and progressing amazingly. In the same manner, the aspirants between the age of 8 and 12 years (relaxable for 2 years on either side depending upon the talent and hardwork) who are truly interested in learning music under this new system can approach me (040-27054232 & 27051110, M-9908822992) or my disciple, Chi. J.S.Shriram (040-27221043 & 27225493, M-9704664909) to get the required help in this connection. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all,

All our conservatives are always used to hinder our progress in one way or the other from time to time. They are not used to think rationally or logically but traditionally. In the same way, even in our music, they are used to discard the instruments like ‘Casio’ to use in our classical music even without considering the advantages of them, if any. But, many of my experiments revealed that ‘Casio’ is more reliable even than a music-teacher while teaching the primary exercises to the kids as, either in respect of rhythm or note, they are more precise than even a music-teacher. That is why, though many may not agree with me, I have always been used to initiate the aspirant-kids to get on with ‘Casio-MA-150’ in which both the facilities of metronome and transpose are provided (but in US as this particular model is not available the aspirants can have ‘Casio-LK-230’ in which these two facilities are provided).

As usual, in the same manner, I have also initiated another aspirant-kid Chi. Aditya Vasanth of 8 yrs. of my disciples of US to mostly rely upon ‘Casio-LK-230’. He started learning music from September, 2010 and now he had completed the 8th Varna in Saveri-raga. He had also completed 24 of the Special-laya-exercises and is able to render the 3rd Datu-svara @ 4-units per second in all the 32 Avivadi-melas. The URLs of some of these items are furnished hereunder for the benefit of the aspirants and the parents and the remaining shall be furnished when they are ready. amsharma

Varnas:
01.Natakuranji Varanam (@ 2 notes per second):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgUNDOSIzKA

Avivadi-melas:
01.Mayamalavagowla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFO9hRZPg4
02.Dharmavati: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt4WoSQISA
03.Vakulabharanam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJA4t5DuC0U
04.Rishabhapriya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nFkOzH9R08
05.Kokilapriya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34fT3WTTbHg
06.Lathangi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDxXA4C7rE
07.Natakapriya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-UkJPp9_Xw
08.Vachaspati: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QVD6vw3pg
09.Mechakalyani: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNwcdkqkQys
10.Dhenuka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upCBqt_VXc
11.Hanumathodi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nffjt4sSNmY
12.Suryakaantam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhrH60tBGk
13.Hemavati: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1namAQPYB8g
14.Chakravakam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0xhHflzeg
15.Sihmendramadhyamam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1namAQPYB8g

vasanthakokilam

Very impressive. Congratulations Aditya. Thanks Akellaji for the links.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, Thank you for your kind appreciation and encouragement. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all,

The URLs of the video-clippings of another kid, Chi. Padmini Gopinath (7 yrs. old from US) are furnished hereunder. They all indicate how even a small kid gets abundant knowledge of notes and rhythm playing the Casio while learning our music. This also obviously reveals how the Casio is far more reliable than a music-teacher who spares a little time to spend with the aspirant. amsharma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tINv8_z7M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag77_DHG6zA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycciwej6MEU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_PGVEJEXGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWIHLjekiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYPjprynRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYPjprynRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6eEUQemh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyWfel7e4K0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxwCIg_u2k

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, To make a person stand on his own legs or walk or run the teacher has to make his/her legs strong enough and initiate him/her properly to stand or walk or run but the teacher doesn’t need to go along with him. In the same manner, even in music, the teacher, providing the relevant aids, must properly initiate the aspirant do things on his own to proceed further but the teacher doesn’t need to sing. This is the basic logic of this novel method of teaching music which, unlike in the past, made the entire process ’time-bound and result-oriented’ minimizing the role of the teacher and maximizing the role of the aspirant. Some of the local music-teachers, who are honestly and truly interested in making the kids knowledgeable but not in the pecuniary advantage, are sincerely following and getting amazing results.

As per the Nobel Prize winning theory held by Roger Sperry who won a Nobel Prize in 1981 (search Google for details) this experiment reveals that one among the four parts of the kid’s brain positively responds to music, dance, poetry, acting, singing, painting, art & craft and the kids must be exposed to all these things even before the age of 6 years. Thus, all the kids must be exposed to the inspiring instrumental music furnished in the 1st (Chaturashra-gati) & 2nd (Trisra-gati) tracks of my CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007 even before the age of 6 years by initiating them daily to listen to them and also to follow the respective rhythm by playing with a drum-stick in each of the hands.

Learning under this novel method of learning, I had a disciple, Chi. J.S.shriram at Secunderabad. His father, Shri J.S.Eshwaraprasad is a Sankeertana-dancer and mother, Chi. Sow. Chidroopa Lakshmi is a post-graduate in Music from the Telugu University, Hyderabad. Chi. Shriram, at his 11th year of age, having already learnt up to Gitas, came to me to learn music further. As per my novel method of teaching music, after having been initiated he successfully rendered many of the 28-special-rhythmical exercises. Later, I have given him my CD, AMS Easy Methods in which 8 Varnas in Adi-tala, 1 Varna in Ata-tala and 1 Svarajati in Bhairavi are furnished along with symbolized notation and respective audio tracks and asked him to carefully listen to all the oscillations of the 1st Natakuranji-Varna and reproduce it in every detail. To my surprise he sang the entire Varna as it is on the next day itself and in the same manner he could complete all the above 10 items within 10 days. Later, as per this novel method of teaching, I did not teach him even a single Kriti but initiated him to learn them on his own basing upon the notation and pre-recorded CD. Thus he proceeded further and later he could even sing many concerts of 2 hrs, within 4 years successfully.

In the same manner, later, only by my initiation through Skype, 11 years old kid, Chi. Shreenidhi, grand-daughter of Shri S. Nageshwaran, Chennai was able to complete all these 10 items within 6 months and in another 6 months she even sang a concert of 45 mts. along with short Ragalapana and intricate mathematical Svarakalpana at the Global meet of our Rasikas in December, 2010, still another 13 years old kid, Preethi of Chennai also completed them within 3 months and in another 3 months she even sang a concert of 1 hr. along with short Ragalapana and intricate mathematical Svarakalpana at Secunderabad, still another 8 years old kid, Adithya of US very recently completed 8 Varnas of them within 11 months and still another 8 years old kid, Padmini of US very recently completed 4 Varnas of them within 11 months. Among them while the first two kids were able to sing all the Varnas, both Poorvanga and Uttaranga @ 4, 6 & 8 units per beat i.e., Chaturashra(4), Divya-sankeerna(6) and Mishra-sankeerna(8), the Atala-tala Varna both Poorvanga and Uttaranga not only in Atala-tala but also @ 7 & 14 units in Mishra-gati-adi-tala and learn right from the first Kriti on their own the last two kids could also play the Casio and sing even the 3rd highly complicated Daatu-svara in all the 32 Avivaadi-melas of 72-Melas. Presently, 8 years old kid, Chi. Rishabh Ranganathan from US, having arrived at Chennai on vacation on 15th June, 2011 and having been initiated by another 13 years old kid, Chi. Preethi (mentioned above) to do things on his own under my supervision, is now able to render 23 out of 28-special-rhythmical-exercises and, along with all the preliminary exercises and 6 Gitas, play the highly complicated 3rd Daatu-swara in all the 32 Avivaadi-melas and also sing along with Casio MA-150 hardly within 2 months only.

For the first time in the history, all this became possible only by standardizing some of the rhythmical aspects and oscillative aspects of notes and methods of teaching and stabilizing the rhythmical abilities of the aspirant, all coming under the modern qualitative methods in teaching music.

In respect of rhythm, In Sangita Ratnakara written in 12th -13th century, in the beginning of Taladhyaya and in respect of musical duration, only Matra, irrespective of any Jaati and which is almost equal to a second, was defined and prescribed. But, unfortunately, the table containing ambiguous Kshana, Lava, Kaashtha, Nimisha etc., etc. is furnished in all the present books but not the ‘Matra’. Taking this Matra into account, at the first instance, I have formulated and brought out Jati-alankaras to make the matters easier to the kids by properly sharpening their brains and exposing them to all the intricate rhythmical exercises by providing them the relevant CD for their repeated listening and regular practice. All this became possible mostly by initiating them to do things on their own but not singing the lesson on my own. I sing the minimum and initiate the aspirant the maximum in doing things on his own to proceed further.

As per the traditional quantitative method in teaching, in general, while teaching the aspirants, all the music-teachers, either vocalists or instrumentalists, are always used to sing or play themselves for half-an-hour or one hour, as the case may be, and ask the aspirants to follow them and repeat the lesson as it is. After the class is over the teacher departs along with the lesson and nothing remains there to the aspirant to rely upon. Most unfortunately, while learning, I was also trained in the same manner. But, it took 20 years of my life just to become aware that I did not get any knowledge by this kind of training but imitation and also to realize that this kind of process of learning will not properly help the aspirant to become independent or confident.

In the olden days, irrespective of the duration of 10 or 15 or 20 years of learning, the aspirants are compelled to eagerly wait to listen to the singing of their teacher or his/her co-students only. In fact, by umpteen experiments made on my students, I have learnt that they could very easily learn any thing very fast more by listening to the lesson several times through a CD than by listening to their teacher. This process helps more to the aspirant even in the absence of his/her teacher to keep him/her always on the right track even more than his/her teacher if the aspirant is properly initiated to play and sing along with the help of the Metronome and Transpose of Casio MA-150 (in India) or LK-230 (in US) to do things on his/her own without depending upon any body. More over, after the evolution of the gadgets like CDs, iPods, mp3 players etc., the learning process has very successfully been quickened for the benefit of the aspirants and their parents. Only keeping this in view I have brought out my CD with all the relevant material for the constant and repetitive listening and practice of the aspirant.

As my experiments proved that, far more than singing or playing ourselves, initiating the aspirants render the intricate rhythmical exercises helps abundantly in sharpening their brains and in making them hyper-active and alert, I have started music lessons only after strengthening their rhythmical abilities by initiating them render many of the 28-special-rhythmical-exsercises. More over, as per my novel method, every time, I have only corrected their mistakes, if any, without singing myself as I have already sung them in my CD. They all have to simply listen to all those items many a time and successfully reproduce them as they are. To tell the fact, in this manner most of our kids have abundant abilities but unless they are properly initiated to do things to tap out their talents they all remain just like all other kids (in this manner more than 60 kids are being trained in our institution, Svarabhangima, Secunderabad, and some of the relevant URLs of many of them are furnished in the sub-thread, AMS Easy Methods-2007-Teaching/ Learning music of the main thread, Music School of this forum). To make this process successful I have also brought out many aids to initiate the aspirants and also to make them confident and independent to proceed further on their own.

Even though our ancestors have very wisely provided one even-jaati/gati of Chaturashra and four-odd-jaatis/gatis of Trisra (3), Khanda (5), Mishra (7) and Sankeerna (9) thus bringing out the importance of oddity of Jaatis/gatis, most unfortunately, since many centuries, everybody is interested in training our kids giving importance only to Chaturashra by which mostly impotents are produced. Many of the music-teachers even suggest their aspirants not to bother about the rhythm while learning the lesson and to practice along with rhythm only after getting the lesson well. Very sadly they will never realize that the lesson must be learnt along with the respective rhythmical intricacies only in which way the rice and saambar could only be mixed and eaten together but not individually. Some of the so-called stalwarts and pioneers have even insisted upon learning all the 35-alankaras by which one can have the acquaintance with both shorter and lengthier Talas only but not with any difference in Gati. More over, all the music-teachers or Lecturers or Professors working in the Music-colleges and Music-departments of Universities have never cared to include relevant exercises of the odd-jaatis/gatis in their syllabi. Fortunately, only very recently, the importance of them is recognized and some of these odd-jaatis/gatis are included even in some of the syllabi, at the least.

Even in respect of Gamakas, some of our lethargic musicians are trying to link all our Gamakas either with the age old 15-gamakas or the modern 10-gamakas but not to standardise them. Even though everybody is aware that none of them cater the present day needs of our music, most unfortunately, none of the stalwarts or the pioneers, irrespective of the different regions, did ever care either to define or codify or categorise them even to make it easy to follow for a common man and the posterity. Keeping all this in view, for the first time in history, I have categorised and even symbolized all these oscillations and furnished in my CD to be helpful to the common man. I shall be very thankful if anybody comes out either to support or even to condemn my action bringing out the lapses of them.

As per my very limited knowledge, only keeping this need in view, primarily, for the first time in the history, the Jati-alankaras are formulated and the 28-special-laya-exercises are brought out and furnished in respect of the rhythmical-intricacies and 60 symbolised Gamakas are brought out and furnished in respect of oscillative-intricacies of notes which could very easily be followed by even a common man. In fact, expecting much response in this regard from the knowledgeable and interested persons of this forum I have enthusiastically started this sub-thread, ‘Gamakas made easy in writing notation’ under the main-thread, ‘Technical discussions’ and even requested the moderators to make this thread ‘sticky’. But, to my utter surprise, even after the lapse of one month the response is very poor.

Even in respect of teaching Violin, apart from learning the items up to Gitas, specific bow-less exercises with different combinations of the fingers of the left-hand, formulated by me for the first time in the history, play a very important role in shaping a person as a successful accompanist. Even though our brain has acquaintance with music our fingers do not have such acquaintance through which the delicious music must be brought out. So, unless our fingers are trained accordingly we cannot bring out such a delicious music. Keeping all the above in my view, I have formulated these ‘bow-less-exercises’ and was able to make even the process of learning Violin very fast.

Though not in respect of the rhythmical-intricacies but in respect of oscillative-intricacies, previously, very few have worked on their own, like me but none of them knows what others did. But, to tell the fact, as this is the collective responsibility of all the stalwarts, professional-teachers and so-called organizations of our music in our country to do the needful in respect of our kids and posterity the reputed Sabhas like the Music Academy, Chennai must come forward and hold meetings or conferences or seminars and the like with the like-minded people to discuss the matters at length and arrive at a final point to make everything clear for the benefit of our kids. As per my knowledge, no such collective efforts have ever been made in this respect. But, in which way none of the Sabhas of Chennai had ever cared to make the videos pertaining to the various finger-techniques of the great instrumentalists and preserve them for the benefit of our kids and posterity, I doubt whether such things are even on the agenda of the reputed Sabhas of Chennai. In fact, the Sabhas in Chennai can even adopt their nearby localities and arrange to train the respective kids of that localities in music in the novel methods of teaching to get better and quick results and build up an entirely different generation. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi, all. What Mahesh3 wrote in the 12th post of the sub-thread ‘Age to start learning carnatic music’ of the main-thread ‘Music School’ is the absolute truth. But, truth is always bitter and, nowadays, many do not like truthfulness but hypocrisy. That is why even after the lapse of a month nobody responded to his post as most of them are either music-teachers who never want to respond to such harmful discussions or music-aspirants who do not have sufficient knowledge to discuss. Of course, very few people are aware that, in general, controversial views only bring out the truth and the logic behind and I am writing this for them only.
As per the saying learning is a process from cradle to grave and, to tell the fact, not only for music but to learn any thing on earth, there is no bar of age in which way any person irrespective of his/her age is eligible to marry another person, if at all the other party agrees.

Roger Sperry who won a Nobel Prize in 1981 (search Google for details), basing upon some experiments, found that one among the four parts of the kid’s brain positively responds to music, dance, poetry, acting, singing, painting, art & craft and the kids could very well be exposed to any of them even before the age of 6 yrs. As Music is a part of Saamaveda which has to be learnt from the early years of age and at the early hours of the day the music should also be learnt in the same manner. More over, among all, this is the only invisible art on the globe requiring very high level of concentration and regular practice which are abundantly available only in the kids. Unfortunately, no kids before the age of 10 years are allowed into any of the Govt. Music-institutions or the Music Departments of the Universities on the globe. Thus, much of the true talent of many of these kids is being wasted.

Our traditional Karnataka music is a system of its own kind on the globe having some special features. According to the ancient Shloka, in music, while Shruti is of the first preference of mother and the rhythm is of the second preference of father, naturally, mother is more important to the kid to survive. But, in our music, Shruti is given the second place and most of our musicians sing in off-shruti but eagerly expect to receive great honours, awards and titles like Sangita Kalanidhi, Padmashri, Padma Bhooshan, Padma Vibhooshan etc., etc. In the same manner, while the pure note has the true musical effect on the human mind and great value in any music, in our music, the pure note has the least value and, mostly, all our musicians prefer to shake all the notes including even the natural notes, Shadja and Panchama. In the same manner, it is not that easy to manage with a minimum number of items, say four or five items only, in a 3-hour concert and it is very easy to manage with 20 or 30 items in such a concert with a little or no Ragalapana and Svarakalpana. But, in our music, the person who sings 20 to 30 items or even more in a 3-hour concert will only be honoured as a legend and praised. In the same manner, even in respect of teaching, all the music-teachers prefer to teach as many number of items as they can, like one-dozen Saralee-svaras, one-dozen Janta-svaras, half-a-dozen Daatu-svaras, half-a-dozen Hetchu-sthayi-svaras, half-a-dozen Taggu-sthayi-svaras, 35 Alankaras, half-a-dozen Svara-pallavis, half-a-dozen Svara-jatis, half-a-gross (72) Varnas and more than one full gross (144) Kritis excluding other compositions, according to the established traditional quantitative method of teaching, which increases only the abilities of memorising the items but not the true ability to manage with different Gatis or Nadais. In which way we feed our kids with hygienic and energetic food to keep them always healthy, in the same manner, even in respect of our music, we must strive hard to give unambiguous knowledge having relevancy with the practical music to our kids. But, most unfortunately, since many centuries, our stalwarts have very conveniently ignored to standardise some very important aspects like Shrutis, Gamakas, Talas, Pedagogy etc. To make our music more inspirational and soothing and to attract more aspirants it should be made more ‘Sangeeta(Naada)-pradhaana’ than ‘Sangati-pradhaana’.

In general, no candidate is allowed to study the professional courses like medicine and engineering beyond 20 years of age and even the individuals after settling themselves in a job or business do not prefer to later study medicine or engineering. But, it is entirely different with music and it is very difficult to find even a single person on the globe who is not interested in learning music. In any University while all the students are younger ones, surprisingly, only in the Department of Music, we can certainly find more elderly students than youngsters. In many of these music-institutions while the elders are very regular but learn very slowly and leisurely in a snails pace the youngsters are not that regular but certainly very fast than the elders. In many of these music-institutions many of these elders are even becoming jealous of the quick progress of the youngsters and are used even to complain against the respective teacher that he/she is teaching the youngsters properly but not the elders. To avoid such complaints even the teachers are maintaining only the low standards in teaching which suit the elders and many are not aware that only the youngsters are put in loss by these low standards of teaching. Every individual, irrespective of his/her age or occupation, desires to learn music (but not dance fortunately) and even the respective music-teachers will never discourage the inefficient aspirants as their main aim is to earn more money as much as they can. Mostly the elders are well settled in their life and try to acquire some thing else in their leisure time for their enjoyment. Most of them want to learn music and some of them even try to learn instruments but will be compelled to become stranded at one point or the other due to their inabilities. At the first instance, they tell that they want to learn it only for their enjoyment but later they gradually resort to perform and even to teach others thinking themselves extremely well both in performing and teaching. Even some of the already employed elders, at a later period, even try to acquire a Degree in Music and switch over to the teaching job having higher salary. While the performer only performs what he can the teacher needs abundant and all-round ability in teaching which influences an entire generation itself. But, in our country, where most of the people are eager about their rights and demands only but not the duties and responsibilities and also in the absence of any authorized training as a music-teacher many of the elders are resorting to teaching music increasing the impotents in music in our country. More over, nowadays, nobody tries to criticize the elders openly of their inefficiencies and become controversial like me. The elders can even donate or pay heavy amounts to the organizers or the media or the like even to pressurize them to arrange and publicize their concerts irrespective of their standards. Getting the pecuniary advantages even the teachers will also co-operate with the elders in any manner they desire.

But, it is entirely different with kids. Having no other avocation, they can concentrate far more efficiently than adults and learn music very fast and efficiently, of course, basing upon the efficiency of the teacher. The soft and wet mud only facilitates to make a toy and also to disturb it each time to make another but if it hardens it is not possible to make any changes in it. In the same manner the kids could very easily be shaped in whatever manner the efficient teacher desires. Even though they are physically and mentally able to do the needful they are solely dependents on their parents or teachers for anything. They are ready to learn or study or practice efficiently what is taught. Particularly, in respect of music, they do not know what they do not know and how to question. Like the elders they do not have the tactics of asking or even pressurizing anybody to arrange their concert even if they are up to the mark.

As kids are used to simply follow the instructions of the elders in doing things and do the needful but cannot have the understanding capacity, they should only be entrusted things to practice heavily and regularly but without defining the things. And, in general, starting from their 8th year, as the kids gradually get the ability to understand, the things must gradually be defined from their 8th year only. More over, kids above the age of 12 years are not at all allowed to learn the complex mathematical system, Abacus and in the same manner it is preferable to start learning music also between 6th & 8th year of age by which the aspirant could conclude most of the learning of the relevant technicalities of music successfully even before his/her 12th year of age. However, even before the 6th year of age, trials should be made to find out whether the kids are responding to music and if the results are favorable they could be put under the care of an efficient, honest and reliable teacher only but not a mere singer. If the training of kids in the novel qualitative method in teaching music is taken on campaign by all the Sabhas of Chennai it produces an entirely different set of kids who will become the torch bearers of our society.

As usual an old person of even above 40 or 50 years of age desires to learn music at that age, finds a teacher who makes him/her sing even a mini-concert with little Ragalapana and Svarakalpana. But, no heavy rhythmical intricacies are taught or learnt. By this, on one side, the teacher becomes satisfied that he/she did the best by making the aspirant sing a mini-concert even at his/her old age and, on the other, the aspirant also becomes satisfied that he/she, even at his/her old age, was able to sing a mini-concert irrespective of the standards of the concert. In fact, there has been a great facility in our music having no yard-stick either to assess the level of knowledge of the teacher or the quality of the lesson being imparted by the teacher or the quality attained by the aspirant in course of learning and this facility is availed to the full extent by each and every music-teacher on the globe.

Having recently listened to the successful-mini-music-concert of one of my disciple-kids, a gent at his age of 40 approached me to teach her daughter of 11 years age, who has been learning Gitas only since last three years, and I agreed. But, in the meantime, he himself became enthusiastic of giving a music-concert like my disciple-kid by learning music from me even before his daughter. But, when I have refused to teach him, he stopped even his daughter to learn from me. Poor fellow, he doesn’t realize that his daughter herself is the looser.

Having listened to one of my Lec-dems, recently, another gent, who appeared and passed the entrance test for B.A.Music Examination (Madras University) of Distance Education, approached me online and requested me to teach him Svarakalpana on Skype. But, when I have asked him to render the Ata-tala-alankara both in Chaturashra and Trisra-gatis consecutively he could not even sing it in Chaturashra-gati @ 4-units per beat properly and accordingly I refused to teach him. I could not understand how he passed even the preliminary qualifying test. Even some of the candidates who had recently passed M.A Music are unable to render even little mathematical Svarakalpana efficiently. This is the very sad state of affairs of even the Universities, Colleges and Institutions brought out by some reputed organizations imparting music to the aspirants. Adding fuel to the fire, recently many universities have started this distance education only to earn money but not to maintain the standards by which the aspirants receive certificates and become the Degree-holders in music without the required expertise but resort to teaching successfully increasing the number of impotents and God alone knows the fate of such aspirants. amsharma

GaryInThailand

Post by GaryInThailand »

Hello.
I'm quite interested about your method. However, i have not been able to download from the link. The .mp3 files are accessible, but all the text .pdf files yield "file not found on this server"

Is there something I should know? Thank you!
Gary Hall

GaryInThailand

Post by GaryInThailand »

btw, I found one of the text files posted at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/59061709/AMS- ... e-01-to-34

In order to download, I was asked to grant permission to all my personal information on Facebook, *and* the right to impersonate me in postings, something I refuse to do.

I think this my be a hostile site that using your content as bait. You might wish to look at it.

Gary Hall

vasanthakokilam

Gary: Let me check what is going with those .pdf files at sangeethapriya. Thanks for the alert.

I can not tell anything about that scribd document. It is a copy of AMS-Easy-Methods-2007-English-Page-01-to-34 . About Facebook and the general discomfort with security, less said the better, so you being cautious is the right approach!

GaryInThailand

Post by GaryInThailand »

Grateful for your fast responses.

vasanthakokilam

It should work now. Thanks very much to the good people at Sangeethapriya for the help on this issue.

GaryInThailand

Post by GaryInThailand »

Hello Sir. I now have your excellent method package.
It's fascinating and challenging for me, as I meet absolutely none of your criteria for a good prospective student! :grin: .
I'm a 60-year old American pianist, but trying to learn new tricks in my old dog days.
In this quixotic quest, I'm bringing myself to Chennai (28/12 to 17/1) for part of the festival season.
I wonder if you might have time and willingness to meet for some discussion.
Your package has helped through certain 'humps' I had encountered in the traditional pedagogy, and I do like your approach.
But there are...questions that keep me from going further for the moment. :( Terminology for the most part, I think.
Please let me know if I might contact you. Many thanks! -Gary

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hello dear, To give a Lec-dem on the easy, effective and innovative methods in teching music, to listen to some concerts of my student and also to train some aspirants I had been to Chennai on 12-12-2011 and returned today only and gone through your post. Further I do not have any plan to visit Chennai in near future.

My telephone numbers are 040-27054232 or 27051110 (landlines) and 9908822992 (mobile-number) and ID on Skype is ‘msakella2002’. If you want to discuss with me about these methods or to ask any questioins in this regard you are welcome and speak to me online by Skype. amsharma