கிருஸ்துவ கீர்த்தனை சர்ச்சையில் சில விஷயங்கள்:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Lalitharam Ramachandran
14 hrs ·

ஓ.எஸ்.அருண் சபா கச்சேரிகளில் நெற்றியில் நீருடன் பக்தி பாடல்களை பாடிவிட்டு, தான் பொதுவாக வைக்கும் அடையாளங்களை அழித்து, சிலுவையைச் சாற்றிக் கொண்டு கிருஸ்துவின் மேல் பாடிய காணொளி எனக்கும் அதிர்ச்சியாகத்தான் இருந்தது. அவர் தன்னிச்சையாய் மதம் மாறி எல்லாம் இப்படிச் செய்யவில்லை. வீடியோவில் பாடிய கையோடு சபா கச்சேரிகளுக்கு வழக்கமான மேற்பூச்சுகளுடன் திரும்பிவிட்டார். விடியோவுக்காக தன் அடையாளத்தை மாற்றிக் கொள்ளும் போலித்தனத்தை நிச்சயம் விமர்சிக்கலாம்.

கர்நாடக சங்கீதத்தில் பிரபலமானவர்கள் கிருஸ்துவ பாடல்கள் பாடினால் அதை வைத்துக் கொண்டு மற்ற மதத்தினரை கிருஸ்துவத்தின் பக்கத்தில் இழுக்கும் எண்ணத்துடன் செயல்படுபவர்களை தர்க்கப்படி எதிர்க்கலாம்.

அது அவரவர் உரிமை. ஆனால்

கர்நாடக சங்கீதமே ஹிந்து மதத்தின் ஏகபோக உரிமை. கர்நாடக சங்கீதத்தில் தேர்ச்சி பெற்ற மற்ற மதத்தவர் இதில் பாடல்கள் புனையக் கூட உரிமையில்லை என்பது ஏற்புடையதல்ல. சர்ச்சில் உதித்த Oratorio இசையைக் கொண்டு திருவாசகத்துக்கு மெட்டமைக்க இளையராஜாவுக்கு உரிமை உள்ளது போலவே எவர் வேண்டுமானாலும் கர்நாடக ராகங்களில் இசையமைக்கலாம். தொழில்முறை பாடகர்களாக அதை எவர் வேண்டுமானாலும் பாடலாம்.

இசையமைப்பாளர் ஷ்யாமின் கிருஸ்துவ கீர்த்தனைகளை வைத்து கச்சேரி செய்ய ஓ.எஸ்.அருண் அழைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தார். (மேற்சொன்ன காணொளிக்கும் இதற்கும் சம்பந்தம் இல்லை)

“அது ஏன் பிரபலமான ஓ.எஸ்.அருண்? அதிகம் பிரபலமில்லாதவரை அழைத்து ஏன் பாடவைக்கவில்லை? பிரபலத்தை அழைப்பதன் மூலம் காலாசார சூரையாடலில் ஈடுபடப் பார்க்கின்றனர்”, என்றொரு வாதம் எழுகிறது.

சமீபத்தில் இசையமைப்பாளர் ரமேஷ் விநாயகம் தன் கர்நாடக இசைப்பாடல்கள் கொண்டு ஒரு இசை நிகழ்ச்சியை ஏற்பாடு செய்திருந்தார். பங்கேற்றவர்கள் அனைவரும் பிரபலமான பாடகர்களே.

கீர்த்தனையை வெளிக் கொணர பிரபலமானவர்கள்தானே வேண்டும். ஊர் பேர் தெரியாதவர் பாடினால் பாடல்கள் பிரபலமாகுமா?

ரமேஷ் விநாயகம் அவர்களுக்கு இருக்கும் எல்லா உரிமையும் ஷ்யாம் அவர்களுக்கும் இருக்கிறதுதானே?

பிரபல பாடகர் கிருஸ்துவ பாடல்கள் பாடினால், அவர் மதமாற்றத்தை மனத்தில் கொண்டு பாடாவிடினும் அதற்கு பயன்படுத்தப்படக்கூடும் என்று சிலர் நினைக்கலாம். அப்படி நினைத்தால் பாடகரிடம் இந்த சாத்தியக்கூறை சொல்ல எல்லா உரிமையும் அவருக்கு உண்டு. அத்ற்கு மேல் அதைப் பாடுவதா கூடாதா என்பதை பாடகர்தான் முடிவு செய்ய வேண்டும். அதையும் மீறி அந்தப் பாடகர் பாடினால் அந்தப் பாடகரின் பாட்டைக் கேட்க மாட்டேன் என்று சொல்லிக் கொள்ளலாம். அவரை வேறெங்கும் பாடவிடமாட்டேன் என்று சொல்வதற்கும், மலினமான சொற்களில் தனிமனித தாக்குதலில் ஈடுபடுவதற்கும் எந்த உரிமையும் இல்லை.

மற்ற மதப்பாடல்கள் பாடிய பாடகர்கள் எல்லோருமே கலாசார துரோகிகள் என்ற ஒற்றைப்படை நிலைப்பாடுகள் கசப்பினைத்தான் பெருக்கும்.

சில நாட்களுக்கு முன் பாடகர் பாலக்காடு ராம்பிரஸாத், தன்னை கன்னியாகுமரியில் இருந்து ஒரு ஃபாஸ்தர் அழைத்து கிருஸ்துவின் மேல் பாட வேண்டியதாகவும், அதை அவர் மறுத்தளித்ததாகவும் கூறி இருந்தார். நான் ஒரு ஹிந்துத்வனாக இருந்தால் நித்யஶ்ரீயைத் திட்டிக் கொண்டிருக்கமாட்டேன். ராம்பிரஸாதுக்கு டிசம்பரில் பதினைந்து கச்சேரிகள் ஏற்பாடு செய்து, ஒவ்வொரு கச்சேரியிலும் கூட்டம் வருமாறு பார்த்துக் கொள்வேன்!

sureshvv

Re: கிருஸ்துவ கீர்த்தனை சர்ச்சையில் சில விஷயங்கள்:

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 08:15 விடியோவுக்காக தன் அடையாளத்தை மாற்றிக் கொள்ளும் போலித்தனத்தை நிச்சயம் விமர்சிக்கலாம்.
கச்சேரிக்கும் இது தானே செய்கிரார்கள்!

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

இசை எவருடைய தனிப்பட்ட சொத்தல்ல. அதனில் இயற்றப்பட்ட கீர்த்தனைகளைத் திருடக்கூடாது -plagiarise. இசைக் கலைஞர்கள் என்ன மதச்சின்னம் அணிகின்றார்களென விமரிசிப்பது தவறு. தயவு செய்து இசையையை மதத்துடன் இணைக்க வேண்டாமெனக் கேட்டுக்கொள்கின்றேன்.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

vgovindan wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:43 இசைக் கலைஞர்கள் என்ன மதச்சின்னம் அணிகின்றார்களென விமரிசிப்பது தவறு.
Why? Since it is used like makeup.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

.....make up?
Are you joking or serious? If true, it is very disturbing.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sometimes I say things that I think are most obvious to everyone and your reaction is of pure shock. Makes me wonder if we are inhabiting the same world :D

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

vgovindan wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:43. தயவு செய்து இசையையை மதத்துடன் இணைக்க வேண்டாமெனக் கேட்டுக்கொள்கின்றேன்.
Carnatic music has orignated from sama Veda. Sapata swara comes from Parameshwara

Sathyohatati pancha vaktracha sarigamapadani vara sapthaswara

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

pattamma,
The term 'religion' has its origin in Latin's 're-ligo' to mean 're' (again) 'ligo' (join, unite) - which is (almost) same as the meaning of 'yOga'. (There is one more interpretation as 're-ligare'). However, it assumed a different connotation in the context of Christianity to mean methods of worship. In our country, the term used to refer to nigama (vEdas) and Agamas (Sastras) is 'dharma' - 'sanAtana dharma'. The term 'மதம்' simply means 'opinion' which later on has been accepted as the translation of the word 'Religion'.

vEdas were recited with swaras - particularly sAma vEda. That's why it is considered that the sapta svara has origins in sAma vEda. And sAma vEda is supposed to have been delivered by Siva's 5th face (sadyOjAta). However, these definitions have no relevance to the manner in which 'Religion' is understood today. Religion now means simply ritualistic practices. In that sense, I used the word மதம்.

Music is an art form like any other. Can we say painting, pottery making etc belong to Hindu Religion? Somebody has rightly pointed out that equating Yoga to Hindu Religion is like equating E=MC**2 to Christianity. (Well, there has been a huge controversy about yOga, forgetting that patanjali yOga sUtras do not define any method of worship in practising yOga.)

From that point of view, I said we should not link music with any Religion as such. Even otherwise, the seven notes of music is used in Western Music also. Therefore, can we say that Western Music belongs to Christianity?

Can we say whether any art form as belonging to any religion? Let not Hindu Religion appropriate Indian Music to itself. Music is universal. It is a common property of humanity - sound having origin in Nature. We should feel happy if CM is adopted by Christianity and Islam for the purposes of their worship - why not? Has Internet any Religion?

Plagiarising music in compositions is a different matter.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

sureshvv wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:06 Sometimes I say things that I think are most obvious to everyone and your reaction is of pure shock. Makes me wonder if we are inhabiting the same world :D
Indeed. Having lived in North India for more than 34 years of my prime life (Service), I am surely a stranger. I am learning - better late than never.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Let me recollect an old memory though not relevant I am sharing here.

I am most worried that the end result of this sudden development
in the field of Carnatic Music will be unfortunate and may even take a
religious turn for the worse.
Devotees, enthusiasts, fans, aficionados and connoisseurs
may do well to seal their lips to avoid splits in this Divine Atmosphere.

I recall a heated exchange between a Rasika and
Mannargudi Sambasiva Bhagavathar
decades back at Thyagaraja Vidwat Samajam, Mylapore.
The reason was the Invitation extended to Jesudoss
to sing in that Mandapam
in the very presence of Saint Thyagaraja.

The Rasika said,
"Jesudoss will not do that.
But supposing he sang a song in praise of Jesus,
will the Devotees who thronged keep quiet?"

Sri Sambasiva Bhagavathar calmed him saying,
"I assure you. Jesudoss will not do that."

Semmangudi who was a Listener on that day
profusely thanked Jesudoss and said
"Thyagaraja would be proud of him."

I am afraid that positive, sanguine and devotional atmosphere
may be a thing of the past.

'Ache Din' prevailing in Carnatic Music

Thanjavooran
12 08 2018

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

vgovindan wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 16:34

Music is an art form like any other. Can we say painting, pottery making etc belong to Hindu Religion? Somebody has rightly pointed out that equating Yoga to Hindu Religion is like equating E=MC**2 to Christianity. (Well, there has been a huge controversy about yOga, forgetting that patanjali yOga sUtras do not define any method of worship in practising yOga.)

From that point of view, I said we should not link music with any Religion as such. Even otherwise, the seven notes of music is used in Western Music also. Therefore, can we say that Western Music belongs to Christianity?
1. I'm not sure if carnatic music can be treated as pure art form, so the comparison with painting, pottery, are not valid. it is interwoven with bakthi. May be, if we assume trinity, purandaradasa were not born, it might have been art form.

2. Carnatic music is composition based heavily, and majority of them (leave out some of varnams, padams, javali etc - even padams need to be seen from jeevathma-paramathma angle) i don't think any of the composers treated carnatic music as art form. There are so many instances and examples in thyagaraja swami keerthanas, there are set of keerthanas he is taking about nadopasana, leading to salvation.

3. last 40-50 years, more so recently, there are commercial aspects involved, and people are looking carnatic music like pure art form. Good or bad, i am not sure. Bakthi aspect is reducing.

4. carnatic music doesn't belong to particular religion or community. Agree. All religion lead to same goal which is salvation.

What are the possible reasons behind the controversies ?

1. Is it because jesus is praised in carnatic music ?
2. Is it because a hindu praise jesus with carnatic music ?
3. Is it because a leading (hindu) carnatic musician praise jesus ?
4. Is it because the said compositions being used for conversion and anti-hindu activities ?
5. if a trained classical musician belonging to any other religions sing (say muslim, parsi, sikh, jain, buddist) in praise of jesus, will there be a controversy ?

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

pattamma,
Expression of one's anguish towards the ultimate is done in three ways - இயல், இசை, நாடகம் - prose/poetry, music and dance. This is bhakti route to the ultimate - the others being jnAna, yOga (rAja), karma. Music is a means. Therefore, to say that music is tied to religion is not very appropriate - one can use it for any purpose. You can say bhakti is tied to a religion because it requires an ideal. But, again, there can be bhakti - nishkAmya bhakti - which transcends even that ideal (idol). How would you classify this song? (MLV of திருப்பாவை, திருவெம்பாவை fame)

https://youtu.be/bot1GpQE4oc

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Music can be used for any purpose ! For conversion too ?

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

You have answered your own question. Let me clarify that I do not subscribe to plagiarisation in whatever form.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pattamaa wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:17 Music can be used for any purpose ! For conversion too ?
The problem then is "conversion". Instead of dealing with that difficult problem, you want to make scapegoats out of musicians.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

The vocalist should internalize the composotion, get the bhavam (both sahitya and raga). Otherwise he/she may do lip service. How many of today's concerts touch your heart ?

Agree that paramatha is one. But to reach that stage to accept to oneself that Jesus is same as Krishna and Siva, one need to be one with Brahman. I do not know how many of us or musicians has reached this stage.

Conversion is THE problem for me , and folks are getting converted for a job, a loaf of bread. Why should we be an instrument ?

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

vgovindan wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:40 You have answered your own question
No sir! I was just quoting from your post.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

pattamaa wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 21:34 Conversion is THE problem for me , and folks are getting converted for a job, a loaf of bread.
Folks getting a job or a loaf of bread should not be seen as a problem. You should be happy they are being lifted out of despair.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

However this be classified, we can be sure that the word kaDavuL was certainly not used to denote Christ or Allah in this padam....

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

Shanker,
I quoted this as an illustration to indicate as to how musicians and music - and dance too - had been 'used' in the past. Please don't read beyond that.