Constant need to re-log in

Troubleshooting
Ranganayaki

Constant need to re-log in

Post by Ranganayaki »

Logging in from my phone. Why do I become logged out? I need to repeatedly log back in. If i want to post, i have to complete my post really quickly, in under a minute. Or I’m having to select all and copy before I hit post because invariably I get logged out when I submit and it doesn’t automatically bring up what I typed. This is inconvenient. Anyone else experiencing this?

SrinathK

Re: Constant need to re-log in

Post by SrinathK »

Same issue here. As I normally browse while traveling by train, I thought it might be due to signal gaps or a switch from 4G to 3G or something. I never type from my phone now because of this issue.

@srkris Have you observed this?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Same here. Have already complained to srkris.

Think it happens only with mobile data and not with wifi.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Not for me. Usually use my phone, and I’m able to stay logged in for 4-7 days at a stretch before being asked to re-log in.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

It could be because of how the browser stores cookies.

What I usually do is to let the browser (Chrome) autofill my passwords so even if I am logged out I just need to click one button yo log back in.

Anyways… I have made some changes now so it should help by not logging you out frequently.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The logout was not happening that frequently, for surely the problem is there. I will stilll check again today.

Srkris,
Can you put a small text next to submit button that the user can highlight the typed text and do a ctrl C prior to hitting the submit that way he/she always has a backup. Last week i lost a long reply. Usually I will type in notepad when I am starting a new post , but for replies i typed hit the submit , login came and i lost all that i typed.

All
Make a habit of typing in notepad save it there and then remove the wordwrap and do a ctrl c(copy) from notepad and do a a paste here (Ctrl V) into the forum

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Rather than taking the trouble of typing in notepad etc etc... you may want to use one additional mouseclick to go into the 'full editor' option as it allows you to save drafts periodically rather than find yourself logged out at the end of a long post?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

the user can highlight the typed text and do a ctrl C
If the member has got this far, they should know the ABC (CXV ;) ) of computers!

But hey, for Firefox, at least, my reccomendation is an addin called Text Area Cache. Saves all the stuff typed into boxes like this one just in case of crashes, or ctrl-R type slips of the finger. I don't know if it works on mobiles.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rajeshnat wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 17:56
Last week i lost a long reply.
I always "Select All" and copy before I submit, and this is invariably useful. But if you forget to do that and before you believe that your long post is lost, please try a COUPLE of "back" button clicks. The first will take you back to the login page and hopefully, the second will take you to the compose page in its final state before you tried to login. This has saved me a few times, but I don't take chances any more and simply copy.

But this is a rather annoying process.

Submitting seems to work ok on an iPad, but not my mobile, whether I'm on wifi or not. So yes, I think it may not be a wifi issue.

Thanks, All.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

the post reply button forces u to login. the,quick reply textbox allows,u to type a text but when u hit submit the login prompt comes,again. so the frustration is there in quick reply

even in mobile prior to submit do a select all and copy and then submit.

as such session. timeout is a problem. some fixing needs to be done. i never write in mobile or tablets as usually my posts need to have laptop to type.

bottomline type in notepad or do a select all copy whenever u write and after that copy safety submit. bring that to muscle memory.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Since this is an old thread - Is this issue still there for anyone i.e. do you get logged out automatically quite frequently?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

it used to be for me. But now no log in necessary

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

VK RAMAN wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 19:39 it used to be for me. But now no log in necessary
Namaste, thanks for confirming.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

srkris wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 15:34 Since this is an old thread - Is this issue still there for anyone i.e. do you get logged out automatically quite frequently?
@@srkris

The issue is still there. No change. My comments above. This is not really an old thread, I started it just about 11 weeks ago.

Sorry, I just saw your post. And it is the same whether it’s a quick reply or “full editor!”

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I experienced the need to sign in