Forum Upgrade Announcement

Troubleshooting
srkris
Site Admin

Forum Upgrade Announcement

Post by srkris »

The forum script will be upgraded to the latest version of PhpBB between 16:00 and 18:00 on 20-Dec-2014 and will be inaccessible at this time.
If there are any further unforseen delays, the updates will be posted at the homepage i.e. http://www.rasikas.org.
Thanks for your patience during this time.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Forum Upgrade Announcement

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Good luck!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks. It got into a major shambles, but finally was able to bring up most of the core functionality.

Will work on the rest in a bit, but feel free to point out anything missing or not right.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Thanks !
Thanjavooran
21 12 2014

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks for the great efforts you put in.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks Kris
How can I see active topics?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks for all that you do!
Hope you are doing away with reputation points...we all contribute in different ways, and some posts go unrecognized for their merit, and a big gabber like me ends up with points which I may or may not deserve.

I don't give merit points, but do give compliments. Even that sometimes irritates folks. Then, how about quantitative stuff? It's more visible and can cause unnecessary problems. Just a thought...

Are we getting the post numbers back? I do feel that it's an essential feature...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Rsachi wrote:Thanks Kris
How can I see active topics?
Please see image below

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks Thanjavooran & KVChellappa & Arasi - for your feedback. I didn't realise the reputation points were not welcome, but if it is, then we'll do away with them as you have suggested.

I will bring back the rest of the functionality.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Guys,
this is my screen... I don't see the quick links:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Thank you, srkris..

Has the time changed to GMT?

I have been thankful for having that "Like" button, where I can pay a quiet compliment or agree without words. May be you can just have a like button that doesn't keep count or create a "reputation".

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Ranganayaki - Yes, the time is GMT due to the global user base. As regards the like button, I will find out if that's possible - not sure if such a modification has been developed.

RSachi, please test now.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks, Kris, I find it now!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

srkris,

Thanks for your commitment and great efforts! I like the upgrade!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hi Chembai - thank you for the upgrade! Can you please look into the search funtionality?.....it's only pulling posts after the upgrade.

vasanthakokilam

srkris: See if there is a like or up-vote button which does not keep track of the count as Ranganayaki says. That should address Arasi's problem with it.

If not, keep the reputation point feature until you find an alternate. I see members use that a lot. As Ranganayaki says it is a quick and alternate way of communication. In addition to replacing one-liners and bringing members who typically don't post, people use it creatively. Say you want to write something critical of one aspect of a post, you can up-vote their post and then take a swing etc Arasi will have to grin and bear the burden of her high reputation until you find a count-less like button!! :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sreeni & Rshankar - thanks. The search index has been rebuilt and is now fully operational.

VK - I'm looking for a solution to the reputation points thing (it used to work before the upgrade but on this later version, I am not sure if it will).

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Srikris: Kodi Kodi Punyam for the tireless,at times thankless,service you are rendering to the forum!! MAY YOUR TRIBE INCREASE!! Or has it already increased inasmuch as I can recall you got married just a couple of years ago?????.
As regards the points of view on Reputation, I am indiferent as they say in Hindi "JAB NAM HOGA THO BADNAM HOGA,JAB NAMMEE NAITHO BADNAM KAISA HOGA(Only if you have a name you can get disrepute but if you do not have one how can you get disrepute!!)
Notwithstanding the above disavowal,I vote for the reputations as I do not want to "Die,unwept,unhonored,unsung and unreputationed(if there is a word!!).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
A lovely and lively daughter!

I'm glad we don't take srkris and the moderators for granted :) Had it been some other field of voluntary service, their work would have been recognized by awards!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris
Was there a necessity that forced you to do an upgrade or was it that you decided for the sake of change. Please explicitly answer this question.
I got two phone calls and also an email as people are confused as after login they do not see the Active Topics Link at the top of the page in the header . IT is right now buried in Quick Links and certainly many are not seeing this link which is buried in Quick Links. :shock:

Please do the following

1. Bring Active Topics so that people get the frame of reference of what they have read and what they have not read additionally in the header as before

2. There was a killer Feature when you click user profile called User’s posts | Topics Started | Topics Participated . Please restore that

3. The time stamp by default used to Be IST , now it is GMT . I think it is confusing for most who are in India. I got some one talking to me on that. See if you could change .

I have many more to say atleast (5 more as of now)... , I will hold it now and not be very hard on you,

As such depending on the answer for the first point if the answer is done for the sake of change , let me state few things . .We have gone thru the 5th cycle of UI changes , as such atleast three occassions there was no value at all other than 100 members doing QA for a month to two to get back all features and also to educate all the members,the other 5000 will be kind of gone for a while .As such there is not any value in these sudden layout changes and I hope you are not surprising us with any color changes as you did once or twice.

I hope the content is all safe and the links are all working as before(I did not check on that yet). We lost few contents some time back in one of the change.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

srkris wrote:Thanks Thanjavooran & KVChellappa & Arasi - for your feedback. I didn't realise the reputation points were not welcome, but if it is, then we'll do away with them as you have suggested.

I will bring back the rest of the functionality.

The Reputation points arewelcome: please do not do away with them.

I prefer them to be called "Thanks"

Many people write stuff which they feel goes unread and appreciated. A Thanks button allows acknowledgement when one has nothing particular to post.

Please... Keep the thanks!

Arasi, I guess you will just have to live with your popularity. I can think of worse things! :P

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Yes please.

Thumbs up & mobile stylesheet.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Arasi - You should be able to send emails through the forum to other members now. I had accidentally disabled it when I upgraded, apologies.

Rajeshnat - Apologies, the upgrade was essential from a security point of view. These upgrades are essential from time to time as the world of software does keep changing and new vulnerabilities come to light. User interface does also sometimes get changed, and I don't want to tweak around with the standard script too much. For your point #2, I will bring that back. Point #3, done.

Nick - reputation/thanks - will try to reinstate but it might take some time as it is a bit complex.

Sureshvv - A separate mobile stylesheet is not required as the current stylesheet adapts to mobile devices automatically now.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris
You can take the similiar topics function out . It becomes a pain as it puts similiar topics in some half cooked logic and some times people can reply to age old topic , we can have too much of deluge and continuity lost feeling with the similiar topics

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

srkris wrote: Sureshvv - A separate mobile stylesheet is not required as the current stylesheet adapts to mobile devices automatically now.
Not able to see the author of the most recent post when using the mobile device. This was possible before IIRC.

vasanthakokilam

Suresh, on the iPhone I see the author of the post when viewing a topic but there is some extra white space between the author name and the start of the post.

Are you referring to that view or something else?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Not the author of the 1st post of the thread. Author of the most recent post. Which shows up on the far right column on the desktop site.

vasanthakokilam

I see, you are referring to the 'list of topics' view. I do not recall now if that was there before the sw update but then it is not often I use the mobile site. Let us see what srkris says.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The forum upgrade announcement is still there for the front page link.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There was a killer Feature when you click user profile called User’s posts | Topics Started | Topics Participated . Please restore that and also post serial numbering

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Fixed now. Thank you.