A New Section Please, to avoid Random Postings of Concerts!

Troubleshooting
arasi

A New Section Please, to avoid Random Postings of Concerts!

Post by arasi »

Srkris and mods,

Of late, some sections in Rasikas.org have threads on upcoming concerts--simply because those who like to post them don't know which is the right place for that. I know, I know, the calendar is there (or not), but I also know there are many like me who don't go looking for it.

General Discussions Section always has the burden of making room for all kinds of threads. So, it suffers most. Concert Reviews Section better be that and not be an announcement board as well. Music and Festivals is another section which has to deal with this also.

I'm wondering if others are with me on this. Nick recently said to me that we do need a Concerts Announcement section--just that to contain all announcements in one place. Makes things easier for those who choose to go to a concert that day, and like a newspaper ad (even better it will be, in print and clarity), they can find one easily. Better still, not miss a concert of someone they want to hear, not miss the one happening in their own neighborhood.

Multi-postings can be stopped this way too.

Hope I'm making sense...
Last edited by arasi on 16 Mar 2014, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Re: A New Section Please, to avoid Random Postings of Concer

Post by Nick H »

Absolutely! Yes Please!

Currently we have subforums that look as if they are meant for discussing auspicious dates, festivals, etc, and they get concert announcements scattered among them, because they look like they just might be for that too :)

Can I further suggest that we have subforums, Chennai, Bangalore, Other Indian Cities... Europe/UK... N. America...

Can the top-level Concert Announcements thread be made read-only, forcing people to post announcements under the geographical sub-head (or "Other"), with the mods creating new areas as CM surges in world popularity?

Arasi... I had quite forgotten we discussed this, and was going to post it. Happy to see your post!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Arasi & Nick, that's a good suggestion, thanks. Do we need a Festivals section at all, or can that be renamed to "Event Announcements" with subforums for prominent geographies?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, srkris.
I have wondered if the Music and Festivals Section had a definite identity at all. It has been a cache for announcements of concerts around festival time, and sometimes for reviews too?

Anyhow, if the event is a festival related one, it can surely be mentioned as such in the new Events Announcement section.

The Reviews Section is very active and is seen by many. It will be easier to go through the page without threads on future concerts mixed in there, I feel.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I agree. :)

"Kutcheri Reviews & Recordings" is just slightly confusing. Does it mean reviews of concerts and reviews of recordings, or does it mean reviews of concerts and recordings of concerts

The wording could be tidied.

Why not just "reviews" :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>reviews of concerts and recordings of concerts

That is how I understood it to be. I agree that we should make the forum name and the descriptive tag line consistent and to make its purpose clear.

This may be a good time to look at the description of all the sub forums and fix such loose ends, if any.
I briefly looked at the sub forum names and descriptions. The only other thing that caught my attention is the sub forum name 'Raga and Alapana'. Should it just be 'Ragas'?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Kokilam*,
I agree. Ragas alone will do, for sure.

*Calling you thus because someone addressed you as Vasantha recently ;)

Well, just remembered, the rAgA you created (vasanthakOkiladhvani) is still there, I hope--in the Technical section. If not the recording of your playing it, at least the thread!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

'Raga and Alapana'. Should it just be 'Ragas'?
Indeed another candidate for tidying up.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

How about a new (sticky) thread for obituaries? Currently, announcements are posted either under general discussion or under the vidvAn/vidushi's thread (or many times, at both places) - and lord knows, we've been unfortunate to bid goodbye to so many...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sadly necessary. A very good idea.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Good thinking.
Spring-cleaning time I guess, though the temperatures keep us very much in the winter mode--and in Chennai, Nick is looking for an auspicious day to switch on the air conditioning!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:Nick is looking for an auspicious day to switch on the air conditioning!
See the second couplet translated in post #10 in this thread - kAl karE sO Aj, Aj karE so ab!

arasi

Post by arasi »

"Announcement of Forthcoming Concerts" says it clearly, I suppose. Sub-threads: Chennai and tamizh nADu, Bengaluru and Karnataka, Tiruvananthapuram and Kerala, Hyderabad and Andhra, Mumbai and Maharashtra, New Delhi, Calcutta--or in whichever way you want to sub-divide them.

When is it forthcoming? :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

"Announcement of Forthcoming Concerts" says it clearly...
But Concert Announcements says it shorter and to the point :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

You win!
CONCERT ANNOUNCEMENTS
says it better :)

Admin, mods?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

:-BD :-BD :D

(I'd rather like the old simple smileys back too, but I suspect that would be too tough a job to ask for!)

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
Hope you start the Concert Announcements and its sub-threads soon :)
The month-long Ramanavami concerts in Bengaluru has been posted in the Concert Review section. It may prove to be more handy for concert-goers to refer to every day, if this long list of concerts weren't mixed up with the reviews.

Also reminding you of a separate thread for "They are not with us anymore".

May be you are much too occupied at the moment. If so, apologies :)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasiji,
" They are not with us anymore"
An excellent and very decent head line. Definitely srkris will consider this request.
Thanjavooran
01 04 2014

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A section just for obituaries seems odd... have named it 'Music and musicians of the past'

The festivals section is also now renamed as 'Event announcements'.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks for that.

But obituaries are a fact of life, and "the past" doesn't really suit, because it sounds more like history, which, obviously, gets discussed in its own right.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick H wrote:But obituaries are a fact of life, and "the past" doesn't really suit, because it sounds more like history, which, obviously, gets discussed in its own right.
Nick, Chembai, how about Dearly Departed?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
'Dear Departed' sounds good (but 'dearly'?).

Srkris,
Thanks! A lot of work on your part--sorting and bringing them under new headings.

As for announcing the demise of musical personalities, 'Music and Musicians of the Past' sounds far-fetched and ambiguous for an obituary thread.I agree with Nick on that. Yes, you don't have to call it Obituaries as it sounds as if Rasikas.org is a newspaper. You may have to come up with something else, I'm afraid.

As for those who bring the news to the forum: 'so and so is no more with us' sounds better than so and so passes away. Passed away is okay too.
Well, my personal view, I admit.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi, I was drawing inspiration from the 'Dearly Beloved....' start to weddings!

arasi

Post by arasi »

How does
PASSAGES
sound?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Horrible.

:)

Let us avoid euphemisms as far as possible. They either mislead, or just look funny.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
I wanted to get away from euphemisms too.
It so happens that in the US, that heading is widely used in publications and I got used to it, I suppose. How inured we get with things as dynamic as words!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Weird. Had absolutely no idea of such American usage, so sorry for misunderstanding.

You know what they say about two nations divided by a single language!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Add one more and more--whether oceans divide them or they are simply just state (province ) lines ;)