Site Admin

Re: New look

Post by srkris »

Thanks

arasi

Post by arasi »

Srkris,
And the posts appear numbered too.Thanks!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Arasi, yes; for the other changes please see http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 75#p249675

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Srkris: thanks for the updates and all the hard work you do behind the scenes to make this forum work.

I have a request.
Vaggeyakaras
The Brahmanas or knowledge creators - Carnatic composers
Vidwans & Vidushis
The Kshatriyas or the power centres -
Critics & Rasikas
The vaishyas - The economic base & laity
Could we please lose the references to the varNAs please? The analogies are not appropriate (or correct) and it is making me very uncomfortable.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

No big changes in look and feel so ...no complaints! :) :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mahavishnu wrote:Could we please lose the references to the varNAs please? The analogies are not appropriate (or correct) and it is making me very uncomfortable.
Please - me too! Even if the analogies were correct, I feel there is no need to bring that in - after-all, music is the greatest equalizer there is, and can we not leave the varNas to the tAna, pada, and daru kind, please?

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
Though I'm sure your analogies weren't meant to imply anything of that sort, they also make me feel a bit uneasy, I'm afraid.

As Ravi says, "music is the greatest equalizer there is" and here on Rasikas.org, we feel that way all the time, thank goodness...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

OK removed.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you!!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you kindly, Srkris (also Ravi & Arasi).

arasi

Post by arasi »

My thanks too...
vAzhga!

arunk

Post by arunk »

srkris - Excellent work! - renders well on small devices now (like iPhone)

Only thing though is that it doesnt display who the last poster was on a topic on these devices on the list of topics page (does shows the date)

Arun

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri srkris
Thank you!! Yes ! Posts are numbered as before.
Thanjavooran
30 10 2013

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

skris, can you please turn off this absurd word check that sprinkles "censored word" over articles even replacing the harmless word that may be used to indicate gender. Or at least remove all the ordinary English words from the list? That they may have more-or-less to do with human reproduction (does the software allow me to say that? ;) ) does not mean that forumites should not use them. Perhaps forumites might even want to discuss human reproduction, but that things like the criteria for Bharat Ratna should get censored-worded is really daft.

It wasn't always there, and I don't recall the site ever being a hot bed (perhaps an unfortunate choice of words :lol:) of indecency! When there has been unpleasantness on our site, it has not been of the sort that substitution of a few words can fix.

Thought for the day:

Are birds offended by fowl language?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

s e x
s.e.x.
s-e-x

Not censored !

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, but sex would be!

see!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

arunk wrote:Only thing though is that it doesnt display who the last poster was on a topic on these devices on the list of topics page (does shows the date)

Arun
Although that may be easy to include it might spoil the clean and simple layout, however I'll test it soon.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nick H wrote:Yes, but sex would be!

see!
Goodness... Did I actually say that? How shocking!!! ;) :))

And now I can read it too. Thanks, skris :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I have now introduced a 'like' functionality for posts and members.

Every post will show a 'thumbs up' icon that you can click if you liked that post, and the number of likes received, on the bottom right.

It looks like Image

This way, users can thank the posters if they posted something valuable or interesting.

Dont worry if you are unable to see the icons (and see the text -- '{ RS_ADD_POINTS }' instead of the thumbs-up icon), it may take some time to appear. Clear your browser cache, that may help.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I just noticed the like button. Thanks srkris. It will be fun.

I recall that mahavishnu requested this feature quite a while back. Here you go Mahavishnu, achievement unlocked!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

:) i like this.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't see any icon, although I see the the number, currently 0 for all posts.

In my Adblock Plus list of blockable items, I see a couple of Facebook-linked things? Is this connected? I block everything to do with Facebook from my browser, not only because I do not have anything to so with the site, but because I hate seeing so many web pages splattered with these "social" icons, like this, pin that, bin the other, just making a mess of everything.EDIT: I just disabled ABP on this page and reloaded it and I still see neither icon nor text. My ABP/facebook/etc theory is wrong: just another conspiracy theory! lol

There is one other site which has its own 'Like' system which clobbered by ABP, and, liking the like of that site, I had to find out the ABP rule and disable it, but this did not involve anything to do with FB.

As long as it is not linked to any other site, I LIKE the like idea very much. I have heard people say that they, for instance, they write reviews and nobody replies. Perhaps we don't reply because we don't have anything useful to say; the LIKE button allows us to make an acknowledgement anyway :). I hope it will end up working for me!

vasanthakokilam

Nick, this subforum does not show the like button ( shows 0 ). But the like button is there in the main sub forums for me.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh! Thanks, you are right.

But ...it shows the "score." It should be both or neither.

Let's have it here, please! It will help skris and co judge how popular a feature request is.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm not seeing thumbs up in the reviews section, either. This is one of the places it is most needed.

People write reviews, people read them, but feel they don't have anything to add --- the original reviewer feels neglected.

vasanthakokilam

True, Nick. it is available only for the 'General Discussion' sub-forum. Let us if we can change that.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I didn't realize I hadn't enabled it for the other sections. Now enabled for all (except the Members Lounge and the next 3 sections)

vasanthakokilam

The reputation system is slowly beginning to take shape and from the growing usage, albeit still small in total quantity, we can infer that people are finding it to be a worthwhile feature.

A tip: You can 'like' older posts as well. Say, in case you searched for something and found that post to be worth while, like away. I just tried it. I went back to 2006 and 'like'd a post. That member has not logged in for more than year and it will be a pleasant surprise to him if he ever comes back :) There have been some great posts by our fellow members over the years that need to be in the rasikas.org hall of fame. I am already thinking of a few which I need to search, find and like. After some time passes when enough reputation scores build up, we can see if we can provide a report of the top 100 posts in the over all forum and in each sub-forum

We do hear often from people that they stumbled upon great information in our site. Indeed, there is a lot of great content accumulated over the years and it is not easy to find them. May be this reputation system is one way to unearth them. We will see how it develops.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Good. Even though I like the idea it still takes time to get used to it being there.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Images are now automatically resized to a maximum of 800*600 size within posts. Also there is a "zoom-in" button at the extreme top left of each photo (if you need to view it full-size), see below:

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Srkris and VK :)
The new features are great and I particulary like the auto resizing of pictures..

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nice to see ongoing development and improvement. Thank you, skris, for your continuing dedication to the forum :)

Mystery! Where was that sample photo taken?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks!

Nice-looking hall :)

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Shri vk...

I feel that reputation is not linked to likes..

as " likes" are likely to be subjective in most cases..

Please consider delinking....

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There isn't really an objective measure of "reputation" as such. There is nothing else to click, and I suspect that if there were, the clicks would be just as subjective. Whilst some members are, for instance, acclaimed artists with obvious reputations, some of our members are rather quiet about being absolute giants in the music/sabha/rasika world --- and some of us don't even discover that for years, sometimes, perhaps, never.

In this instance, it could be said to be one of those redefined words. In the context of the forum, what does reputation mean? It means the number of times a member's posts have been liked. This is not, really, in accordance with dictionary or real-life meaning, but it is an internet-forum usage. But it could be better, clearer, more accurate.

Some forums have "reputation, some forums have "like," some have "Thanks." Some of the latter have "Number of times thanked." My suggestion here is to change the label: not reputation, but Number of times thanked, Or just Thanks, as space is limited. This might make for less ambiguity and better understanding.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

or "appreciated"

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick and Ponbhairavi,
Agreed. Reputation is a word which is complex in meaning. Since individual posts are being acknowledged, and no more, 'Reputation' sits rather heavily in that corner of the posts (figuratively, of course!).

I like both 'Thanks' and 'Appreciated', which say exactly how we feel when we see an apt post. No more, no less. 'Like' is widely used and is simple enough to understand, of course...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Changed 'reputation' to 'likes' as suggested.

It's just that whoever wrote the code for it decided for whatever reason to name the feature as 'reputation'

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I thought it would have been the default. One of those internet words!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

or the word " credit"

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

credit seems to be more appropriate..

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

credit sounds like finance!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

I like 'like' like many others.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"like" is better expression; unless the person posting looks for credit in what he/she posts.