2 views-One for all topics exclusive of Lounge & lounge only

Troubleshooting
rajeshnat

2 views-One for all topics exclusive of Lounge & lounge only

Post by rajeshnat »

when I click unread posts or active topics compartmentalize as two sets of views , "one is all other topics exclusive of Lounge" and the other "exclusive view of Lounge". Let all posts get serialized as two sets of views and clearly bucketized. It is difficult to wade thru each link every day with the deluge of posts . That way folks like me at work are able to browse the site without getting caught in corporate firewall by inadvertantly clicking lounges which treats those lounge topics like rediff or sify .

Nick H

Re: 2 view -One for all topics exclusive of Lounge & lounge

Post by Nick H »

Well, it is a long, long time since I sat behind a corporate firewall, and when I did, I was its administrator! It is also true that, back in those days, we did not even do very much in the way of content control. However, on general principles, I find it really difficult to understand that any firewall might block anything in our rather innocuous lounge, which barely even ventures far into mildly controversial politics, let alone into any murkier waters. We are a long, long way from ever having to tag any thread as being "NSFW" (The mind boggles: safety pin failure causes female vocalist's palu to slip off shoulder, revealing... blouse! With pics!).

What's more, this is the first time I have heard of a firewall blocking certain threads on a forum in this way. I think it is something that you should take up with your IT dept, rather than with the admin here --- although I guess there might be a certain lack of sympathy that your carnatic-music interests are being interupted at work.

Every entry in both the new posts and the active posts list has, under the thread title, the name of the forum in which it occurs. It is, this, so easy, should you wish, to ignore anything in the lounge. Hardly very much wading required.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick
I wish you are right there with me so that I show what I face. When I clicked few days before in lounge, the topic commonwealth games , I get this error .

This Page Cannot Be Displayed

Based on your corporate access policies, access to this web site has been blocked because the web category "Sports and Recreation" is not allowed.As per the Information Security Policy you are not allowed to view the page

All these firewall policies learn as they move on and add it to your block list
Last edited by rajeshnat on 15 Oct 2010, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick H wrote:Well, it is a long, long time since I sat behind a corporate firewall, and when I did, I was its administrator! It is also true that, back in those days, we did not even do very much in the way of content control. However, on general principles, I find it really difficult to understand that any firewall might block anything in our rather innocuous lounge, which barely even ventures far into mildly controversial politics, let alone into any murkier waters.
Every entry in both the new posts and the active posts list has, under the thread title, the name of the forum in which it occurs. It is, this, so easy, should you wish, to ignore anything in the lounge. Hardly very much wading required.
Nick
We all click the link active topics or unread posts , everyday there is about 40 posts where we all click the arrow link and then look at each and every post after we have clicked.
It is quite strenuous to read each and every post title associate with the forum name and then hold and then decide to click or not to click,I can inadvertently make a mistake.

Srkris,
If you logically keep as two blocks of views in a single click ,"one applying a filter with Lounge excluded with all the posts serialized" and then a space and a separator or a second block where you serialize posts with lounge only , that would be great

In a way this feature you have done it already , as when you click unread posts you see website issues , but when you click active topics you dont see website issues, for which I have raised another post.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

We all click the link active topics or unread posts
We don't "all": I don't. I don't read all the lounge threads, and I don't read all the music threads. I check the thread titles, and occasionally find that, by accident, I've brought up something in which I have no interest (lounge, eg cricket, or music, something I have no understanding or experience of, and as a young rasika there is plenty of that).

It's true that I spend most of my home hours in front of the PC, so there is nothing like "work" to distract me from the forums and other interesting sites, but I find it quite easy to look down the topic list. I keep up with several other forums, of which this is almost the least busy: if I did not only click the threads I want to see in each of them, there simply would not be enough hours in a day and I certainly would never get into the car and make it to a concert. In my moderating days on IndiaMike, I actually tried to look at every new post, at least to verify that it was valid: that would be several hundred a day... thank god those days are over!

Sometimes we have to work with what we've got, and I do think that this forum gives us, including you and I, the information necessary to use it as we wish.

As a completely different point of view and example: there was sufficient demand on hifivision.com to have the "lounge" sections left out of all the forum listings. If one doesn't go and look, specifically, at those forums, their contents are never shown.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I can limit the search feature to exclude lounge posts if that will help.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Should I mention the silent majority?

No... probably not.

Woops!

ragam-talam

Re: 2 views-One for all topics exclusive of Lounge & lounge

Post by ragam-talam »

And perhaps one to exclude Natya, one to exclude Bhakti, another to exclude light classical etc etc.
And while you are at it, one to exclude Website issues too!
Pretty silly, if you ask me.

Again a case of much ado about nothing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote:I can limit the search feature to exclude lounge posts if that will help.
Srkris, I am not asking you to exclude at all , that will really antagonize folks who wanted to read all the posts in lounge too. When you have made a decision that lounge will stay then both should be there. Period

When you say "limit the search feature to exclude lounge posts if that will help", are you implying when you click the Active topics you can show a view with the lounge excluded ,(per se I am assuming you are not talking about search that is there in the top banner that is inbetween FAQ and members, that has to stay as it is )

You can implement one of the below Two:

1. If you can exclude the lounge posts when you click Active Topics , then that is what I personally like to have . May be two links , one for Active Topics (inclusive of Lounge) and other Active Topics (exclusive of Lounge ) is fine .

2. The most elegant is to have Active Topics Link , where the first block contains all posts serialized exclusive of Lounge , then you can have a separate second block of all serialized view of all Lounge topics that follows the first block. This is most elegant

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Rajeshnat, what you are asking for is a customization, and if I customize the script, I wont be able to upgrade it smoothly when phpbb decides to release newer versions.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote:Rajeshnat, what you are asking for is a customization, and if I customize the script, I wont be able to upgrade it smoothly when phpbb decides to release newer versions.
In my opinion if you customize only that view page and keep a backup of those prior pages and rollback if the change is not working. First of all I am assuming if you put bit effort you can customize the view and this is only UI not data so per se the change is not that risky to make.

When phpbb decides to release new version, first of all we need to ask the question :
Do we need to migrate or can we keep this itself?(Feb 2010 migration scar is still not gone out for me)
If you decide to migrate as it needs to be 100% done , you can migrate with the changed page or just roll back the page and then migrate.

It is your site and you decide everything , basically it is your choice

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The data does not change when we upgrade to newer versions, it's stored in the database and can be modified easily.

The script changes with every version, and I dont maintain a version control locally. So I fear to make any changes that could lead the script to break when I upgrade. So I prefer to keep it as it is.