Bammera Pothana

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo9811/98110260.htm
This article states:
Bammera Pothana, the "Maanasika Guru" of Saint Thyagaraja, was taunted by his brother-in-law Srinatha to sell his work Bhagavatha and earn some money to afford two square meals a day.
(The article itself talks about how most artistes remained poor throughout the ages - that's another topic perhaps!)
Apparently he was a great Telugu poet, who himself was a Rama-bhakta.
The Wiki entry gives examples of his poems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potana

Are there any similarities in style between his poems and Tyagaraja's kritis? Can Telugu experts here provide some insights.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Jayaram.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://www.teluguworld.org/new/bammera.htm
The king of Warangal, Sarvajna Singa Bhoopala, wanted Potana to dedicate ‘Andhra Maha Bhagavatamu’ to him. But, Potana refused to obey the king’s orders and dedicated the Bhagavathamu to Lord Rama, whom he worshipped with great devotion. It is said that Potana remarked, ‘it is better to dedicate the work to the supreme Lord Vishnu than dedicate it to the mortal kings.’ He was of opinion that poetry was a divine gift and it should be utilized for salvation by devoting it to the God.
Reminds one of Tyagaraja's 'Nidhichala sukhama'...

chetana

Post by chetana »

Thank you for starting this topic.

Potana was a self-taught man "sahaja paandityamu", as they say in Telugu.

Actually his remark when thus taunted was the following:-

"bAla rasAla sAla nava pallava kOmala kAvya kanyakan
kULala kicci yappaDupu kUDu bhujiMcuTa kaMTe satkavul
hAlikulaina nEmi gahanAMtara sImala kaMdamUlakau
ddAlikulaina nEmi nija dAra sutOdara pOshaNArthamai "

meaning,

It is better for a "sat" kavi - notice the counter-taunt- to be a farmer or even to dig roots and beets in the forest to support his wife and children than it is for him to give (pimp) his literary work which is like his own daughter to undeserving persons and eat the food resulting from such a transaction.

Apparently, history and his SrimadAndhra Bhagavatam where his family tree is traced do not attribute any relation to Potana and Srinatha. It is said the two lived in different times. I am not sure if this is correct and the popular version is of course that they are brothers-in-law. However, the family tree from Bhagavatam is probably the most authentic and someone who has read it may be able to enlighten us.

As for similarities between him and Tyagaraja, I am not really qualified to comment. It may not be easy to compare and contrast either because of the medium each chose for their literary outpourings. Potana's works are metrical verses and he is said to have used the seesa and kanda metres more frequently.

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

A very interesting subject for discussion sure!
pOtana being the brother in law of srInAtha is more a legend than reality.
The age difference between them is supposed to be more than what is shown in stories and films.
Kavidwayam is one novel where this fact is brought forward.

As for tyagayya and pOtana I really want to know if there are any literary studies about the fact of commonality in any aspect.
Their usage of words is not at all similar if I am right within my limited knowledge.
However this aspect deserves study.

Can any one show some instances to show that tyagayya was indeed impressed by pOtana?
Last edited by vijayagopal on 10 May 2007, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Vijayagopal, thanks for reviving this topic!
If there's someone here who can provide insightful comments on this topic, it must be Govindan sir.

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

Palikedidi Bhagavatamata
Paliknchedu vAdu rAmabhadrudata
nE palikina Bhavaharamagunata
Palikeda vErondu gAdha palukaganEla?

This is a verse of POtana that makes his stand very clear.
He says god made him write Bhagavatam.
He also says, by doing that he gets absolved of the worldly connections.
And then says, why narrate any other tale?

Can we look for such an expression in others works please?

jpchar

Post by jpchar »

Vijayagopal has indeed given a nice translation of the beginning verse of pothana's Bhagavatham. I only wish to add here that "Bhava" in Sanskrit (and hence in Telugu also) translates as "Sin". "Bhavaharamagunata" therefore translates as "I shall be absolved of sin(s)" instead of "I shall be absolved of worldly connections".