Where two seas do not mix

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
venkatakailasam

Where two seas do not mix

Post by venkatakailasam »

There is a place in the gulf of Alaska where two oceans meet but don't mix..

courtesy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-Lau ... 8617551209

Pratyaksham Bala

Re: Where two seas do not mix

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Oceans meet but don't mix?

'The science behind the phenomenon' is explained here:
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/m ... ulf-alaska

cacm

Post by cacm »

IN MY ABJECT IGNORANCE let me enquire about the three at least pseudo oceans (2 of them pseudo+one real one) meeting in Kanyakumari. I have seen myself at certain times the three are clearly different by eyesight & I have UINSUCCESSFULLY TRIED TO CALCULATE USING SIR C.V.RAMAN'S Scattering theory(has to do with blue of the sky etc)- I am a theoretical physicist with optics as my speciality- why this phenomenon occurs; Any one knows possible explanations? VKV

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

ideas.... differing temperatures, differing salinity....

But differing colours in the water, at least in the relative shallows inshore would be more likely explained by differing bottoms. In the splendid picture above, I hazard a wild guess that this is not two seas, but one, and that the line is caused by a steep shelf. Notice the white water.

VKV, you will know infinitely more about wave forms than I do, and I'm sure you know that surf, waves breaking, is cause by the underwater part of the wave meeting the land, thus tripping up the wave.

Oh! Pratyaksham Bala has posted a link: let me go and see if I am any where near right!

EDIT... I was closer in my first para. My second para, is wrong about this instance.

Thanks for the pic and the brain teaser! :)

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Nick,
I thought it was within my mathematical and computer skills to model this using various criteria to explain the distinct colours one sees & have ENDED UP realising HOW GREAT C.V.RAMAN was! VKV

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

70 years ago I was visiting TriveNi sangamam at Allahabad where Ganga, Yamuna (and the mythical Saraswati) meet. There was a distinct borderline between the chrystal clear waters of Ganga and the marine blue of Yamuna. I don't know how it is now since ganga waters have been highly polluted..

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Here is a photograph of Triveni sangamam, taken recently:-
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/po ... sangam.jpg
The caption of the photo reads: "The sangam of the two rivers is evident. While the brown water belongs to the shallow and muddy Ganga, the bluish-green water is that of the Yamuna."

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks PB!
You made my day!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Even if one pours hot and cold water into a cup, they must be stirred to make them mix.

cacm

Post by cacm »

NICK, BROADLY THERE ARE 3 PHENOMENA INVOLVED. CONDUCTION, CONVECTION & RADIATION! VKV