Telugu dictionary

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
shibi

Telugu dictionary

Post by shibi »

Could people kindly recommend a good Telugu dictionary that music students (whose native language is NOT Telugu; I am Tamil) can use to at least partially uncover the meanings of Krithis? How does one learn the rudiments of Telugu to understand, at least roughly, the meanings of songs.

Thanks,

Shibi

nag2

Re: Telugu dictionary

Post by nag2 »

I can't help you with the Dictionary. But you may be interested in the following.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12828844/ThyagarajaKritis-
This document has lyrics and word-by-word meaning for almost every Tyagaraja krithi.

ShrutiLaya

Post by ShrutiLaya »

It is highly unlikely that you'll be able to decipher krithi meanings with a dictionary, without any knowledge of the language. But if you do want to try, I'd recommend CP Brown's dictionary, available in digital form at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries (along with dictionaries for many other Indian languages).

- Sreenadh

Raghu

Post by Raghu »

Dear Sir
If you are interested to learn Thyagaraja Kritis the best source is the blog spot of Shri. V.Govindan . thyagaraja vaibhavam blog spot.

The best telugu dictionary is A Telugu-English dictionary
dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/gwynn/
Govindaswamy

shibi

Post by shibi »

Thanks all for the kind answers.

@ ShrutiLaya (and others too):

Is there a good book to learn the rudiments of Telugu? (preferably in english)

Thanks.

ShrutiLaya

Post by ShrutiLaya »

Honestly, I don't know. I remember some book like "Learn Telugu in 30 days" in India, but don't know if it is any good.

Where are you located? Many cities in the US have Telugu associations and/or temples which have Telugu classes. This would help both learn the language, and have someone to turn to if you need to ask a question.

One other option I can think of: get some Telugu movies, and watch them with subtitles turned on. Though subtitles are often inaccurate to the point of being hilarious, you may pick up the basics of spoken Telugu.

But again, all this may help you get by if you are stuck in some Telugu Only village. If you want to use this knowledge to decipher krithis, you're in for a hard slog .. Still, if you are committed and dedicated, this might be an interesting project. Please post updates on how your quest is going

- Sreenadh

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

This thread http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8135 may help. We have not had any new additions in a while, but the current material itself is quite useful towards understanding Telugu krithis.