Doubt in vÄÂÂ

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

vÄÂÂ

arunk

Post by arunk »

not 100% sure but I think this is sanskrit rules i.e. anuswaram usage at end of words in relation to sentence endings. I vaguely remember something of that nature when I was looking into anuswara rules for my online transliterator. This is one reason why the transliterator has a mode for "use anuswara for M and for words in the middle of the sentence that end with m" (M => explicit anuswara specifier). So the implication is that words ending in "m" the anuswara is used only if that word is not at the end of the sentence.

Arun

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I didnt understand you, could you reword that please?

In my understanding, a word can never end with an m, it can only end with the anuswara (i.e M). The reason is there is no pure meyyezhuthu (consonant) in sanskrit, the consonants are always syllables (aksharas). Hence the word Ganapathim can only be gaNapatiM, not gaNapatim

I realize that vedic anuswara is in a totally different league altogether (see http://www.geocities.com/somasushma/anusvAra.html), I am concerned only with our simple classical sanskrit.

arunk

Post by arunk »

I meant words ending in "m" from a phonetical standpoint (and thus "m" from the transliteration scheme) - I do know that in vedic sanskrit anuswara carried a different phonetical connotation - but later usage merged both (?). For such words when writing, it seems anuswara is not used if they end a sentence. I have seen this in atleast one book I have as well.

Arun

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

arunk's explanation is correct.. this has even been described as 'anuswAra sandhi' (please note, it is anuswAra and not anuswara).

When a word ends in the anuswAra, it is depicted by anuswAra symbol if the following word is a consonant.. If the following word is a vowel, or if it is at the end of a sentence/line, it is represented as the anunAsika of the pa-varga (Ma with a halanta mark)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

keerthi wrote:When a word ends in the anuswAra, it is depicted by anuswAra symbol if the following word is a consonant.. If the following word is a vowel, or if it is at the end of a sentence/line, it is represented as the anunAsika of the pa-varga (Ma with a halanta mark)
Can you give examples please?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

srkris and keerthi,

You are both partially correct.

1) Yes, there appears a "mistake" in the transliteration. If -m is at the end of a line then it is left without sandhi, otherwise it becomes anusvAra (denoted M) as per rules in #2 below. Absence of sandhi serves as punctuation. In this composition, every line should end with -m. Between the two halves of the line, there is punctuation with yati, and sandhi (m --> M) is applied between the two halves (as per rules in #2 below).

So, for e.g., it should be:

bhÅ«tÄÂÂ