ashtapathis

History, religion and culture
aadarsh

Post by aadarsh »

I am interested in learning ashtapathis. I have started learning from mrs. lalitha balasubramanian(mrs .gobilalitha) of bangalore. I require the blessings of highly knowledgable persons of rasikas.org. adarsh

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

jananee, aadarsh is Usha, whom you know. balu uncle gobilalitha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

gIrvANi prasaada siddhirastu
(may you be blessed by Goddess sarasvati !)
As you start learning do post the audio of lalitha maami as well as yours for our benefit in this thread so that we can also enjoy and learn simultaneously.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

cm lover, we are very happy that you are taking so much interest about our learning. we have come upto 17, with little bits of conversation in the middle , not to while away time ,but maami correcting the tala and pronunciation etc. . we have decided to post after rehearsal and corrections. the songs are in karnatic raagas,(may not appeal to modern listeners), traditionally taught by old gurus 50 years back at gobichettipalayam, a small but cultured town. , gobilalitha, as conveyed by usha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Old is Gold and will be traditional. We would love the carnatic ragas on the astapathi. But do take your time. Some of us are very slow learners and are more Rasikas than performers.
Many thanks.

aadarsh

Post by aadarsh »

Thank you for your blessings cmlover. Once lalitha maami approves then we'll start posting. aadarsh

laksharma

Post by laksharma »

This is wonderful. Thanks a lot for agreeing to post the ashtapathis. I have been wanting to learn. Lakshmi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Does anyone have the texts to the guhAshTapadIs and ShivAShTapadIs that were modelled based on jayadEva's work? I'd very much appreciate them.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

As advised earlier,the ashtapathis will be posted from tomorrow .they were taught at Singapore by mrsLalitha Balasubramanian, while on a visit for 3 months stay.She learnt them fromsriRamakrishnan at Gobichettipalayam,nearly 50 years ago, while she was 16. These songs are taught intraditional raagas, plain and easy to follow ,even by beginners devoid ofmusical excellence like sangathis, neraval, birghaand other embellishments.They are easy to follow line by lineand practice
In her own words,the learners,all homemakers took pains to attend the classes regularly with sincerity,devotionand interest despite their household activities. The learners in alphabetical order areArthiVenkat,BhavaniBalasubramanian,BrindaKrishnan,KausalyaSudershan,LalithaRaghuraman,NaliniGanesan ,SudhaMurali,UshaSudarshan(Aadarsh for forumites). Sri Krishnan(Krishnarasika , member) learnt it daily inthe night on return from office.his devotion is remarkable
MAY LORD KRISHNASHOWER HIS CHOICEST BLESSINGS ON THEM.
Mrs Lalitha Balasubramanian is the wife of sri SkBalasubramanian of Bangalore(Gobilalitha for forumites) gobilalitha

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Thanks, we look forward to your posting.

Will you also share the audio also?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Sir. I wish you hear them first and decide about sharing. They are by amateurs, are fairly nice, will serve the purpose initially for learners. absolutely no objection for sharing. Then only it will take wings and spread the bhakti cult. gobilalitha on behalf of lalitha balasubramanian

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Folks
Here are the dhyanashlokams (first lesson) by Lalitha Mami as posted by Sri Krisnan
The Ashtapadi audio files (re-recorded by the whole group of ladies along with Lalitha Mami) are getting uploaded as I write this. Given below is the link to the folder. Let me know if there are any issues accessing the files. Many thanks to Sudhaji for the recordings and Ushaji for taking all the effort to convert them to mp3.

Pranams
Krishnan

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9018 ... d56c9c4c8c

krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

Radhe Krishna !

The above link is for the folder in which all the Ashtapadis would be uploaded. Have done 8 of them so far ...

Pranams
Krishnan

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks Krishnarasika for uploading the lessons on Ashtapadi. They are excellent compositions in scintillating ragas. The lessons are very well presented very easy to follow even by those without any training in CM. In fact they could be the starting lessons in CM following sarali varisai (voice culture) into raga elaborations. I am sure many of our novice Rasikas will appreciate these melodious introduction to CM and at the same time the devotional aspect. It is nice to know that these were set to music over 50 years ago and thus they are lessons in maintaining continuity of our culture. Thanks to Lalitha Mami for sharing this with us and the class of ladies who give it the bhajana ambience. Do please upload future lessons as and when you are ready. The audio is very good indeed.

Finally many thanks to GBL for being the Prime Mover in making these devotionals available to our rasikas-at-large.

jaya jaya dEva harE

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

dear krishnan rasika .pl post the leftover ashtapathis and photo of the learners , gobilalitha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Super! Looking forward...

krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

Radhe Krishna !

Link to photos taken on 25 April 2008, during Sampoorna Ashtapathi at the residence of Smt. Usha & Sri Sudersan, Park West, Singapore.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9018 ... 466fb62bf8

Photo 'Ashtapathi1' - Guru Smt.Lalitha Mami along with students (from left to right)
1) Smt.Bindu Krishnan
2) Smt.Nalini Ganesan
3) Smt.Sudha Murali
4) Smt.Kausalya Sudarshan
5) Smt.Usha Sudersan (Aadarsh for forumites)
6) Smt.Bhavani Balasubramanian
7) Smt.Lalitha Raghuraman
8) Smt.Arthi Venkat

On the mrudangam is Sri Trivandrum Rajagopal and I was blessed to do the puja.

Pranams
Krishnan
Last edited by krishnanrasika on 04 May 2008, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks to have the glimpse of the AShTalakShmis surrounding the AShTapati Guru. A nice divine atmosphere which inspires the audio as we listen to them!
Do please u/l the rest of the lessons too!

arasi

Post by arasi »

krishnanrasika,
Thank you for sharing!
We keep discussing on the forum how our musicians perform, how children can enjoy and continue the tradition of CM and so on.
What Lalitha Balasubramaniam is doing belongs to an important part of our musical tradition of propogating CM which we don't often talk about. Many rasikAs and practitioners of music are products of households where bhajanais were heard. While learning music from gurus was a rarity, learning bhajanai songs was more accessible. It drew varied factions of the community because of its direct appeal and the ease with which anyone interested in music could participate.
Thank you Lalitha, for keeping that tradition alive and in a classy way too.
And thanks to the Singapore rasikAs for their enthusiasm...
Last edited by arasi on 04 May 2008, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

How true Arasi!
This is the route to get our kids get interested in CM. It is fun, easy and plesurable. Once they learn to intonate the bhajans (with proper introductions from the adults on the ragas and other aspects including the devotional side) they will move on to serious kritis and start enjoying CM. I have heard kids complain how tedious and boring it is to practise 'meaningless' sarali varisai but on the otherhand how invigorating the ragas are during the bhajan.
Lalitha Mami is doing a great service to CM here which ought to be appreciated by our Rasikas.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

krishnanrasika, wonderful snaps. heartfelt thanks. but you forgot to mention that the person seated in the chair is gobilalitha anxiously waiting for the prasadam of Radha kalyanam.!!! gobilalitha

krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

Dear (Balu)Mama & (Lalitha) Mami,

Many thanks for the tremendous boost provided by you during your stay in Singapore and we are really blessed to have had the opportunity of learning Ashtapadi and also being a member of rasikas. Of course, you would continue to inspire us thru this forum. Hope to see you back in Singapore soon for next round of boosters.

Namaskarams
Ashtapadi team, Singapore

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Of course Many many thanks to you Krishnarasika for making the lessons to Rasikas all over the world. They are indeed precious. I also noticed that Lalitha Mami is keeping the right pace in the song so that they can easily be choreographed for bharathanatyam. I trust our talented members interested in dance make a note of this point and adapt the songs for their dance trainngs. Especially these lyrics are excellent for abhinayam which youngsters would simply love. The pada chedams are excellent as I can vouch with authority with my little knowledge of Sanskrit..

May I humbly request Mami to bring out other musical gems of yore that she has learned in those olden days which will get lost for ever unless they are taught and recorded for the posterity.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Lalitha is overwhelmed by the TRIBUTESOF VERY LEARNED cmlover, Arasi,krishnan. IT is her sincere wish that all music and our culture lovers will benefit by her humble offerings. She remembers with gratitude her guru Sri Ramakrishnan,who taught her and many children 50 years ago at gobihettipalayam. gobilalitha

laksharma

Post by laksharma »

Many thanks to you Krishnarasika for giving us this wonderful opportunity to learn ashtapathis by uploading. Thanks to Lalitha Mami also for agreeing to share. We are very grateful to you all.

jananee

Post by jananee »

A wonderful treat for all of us...will definitely learn the ashtapadis as taught by mami..thanks to you mami

venkatakailasam

Re: ashtapathis

Post by venkatakailasam »

Thought of reopning the thread!

I am posting four Ashtapathis . the links are given below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgjKatBKCI 'E'-SWARA-12-Shri. TM Krishna-Vadasiyathi-Part I Slogam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qb9rCNEkE 'E'-SWARA-13-TM Krishna-Vadasiyathi-Jayadeva Ashtapadi part-II.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCoh4f1cfNg 'E'-SWARA-011-Mumbai Sisters-Virachitha catu-Ashatapathi 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0P9YV7g_i4 'E'-SWARA-02-Shri. S Kalyana Raman-Ashtapathi-anila tarala kuvalay-SudhS arang.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCoh4f1cfNg E'-SWARA-011-Mumbai Sisters-Virachitha catu-Ashatapathi 20.flv

venkatakailasam

rahesh9904

Post by rahesh9904 »

Hi all.
I am in the process of learning the divine Ashtapathis. Just saw this thread and was very happy to listen to the Ashtapathis by Mrs.Lalitha Maami. I found that 6 ashtapathis are missing in the mediafire link. The Ashtapathi numbers missing are 4,5,11,15,21 and 22. Could somebody upload the missing Ashtapathis and help me. Thanks to Mrs.Lalitha maami for the awesome rendition and for spreading her songs in order for everybody to learn. Thanks.

Hema.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rahesh9904 wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 03:38I am in the process of learning the divine Ashtapathis.
Please note that these verses are not called ashTapati (अष्टपति) but ashTapadi (अष्टपदि).

ashTapati/अष्टपति refers to having 8 husbands, while ashTapadi/अष्टपदि refers to a verse with 8 padas (as a poetic meter).

rahesh9904

Re: ashtapadis

Post by rahesh9904 »

Ok Noted.. Thanks for correcting me rshankar.