Garuda -The basic questions!

History, religion and culture
satyabalu

Garuda -The basic questions!

Post by satyabalu »

* Why is Garuda not worshipped as much as other deities?
* Why is it something like Garudapuranam read only on ceremonial functions.?
* why are we not taught slokas on Him as much as Ganpathy, Murugan,,Hayagreever,Anjaneya etc.,?
*How far He has been dealt with in Pasurams &Avatharams.?
* His sannadhi I have observed is always in the entrance facing the Lord not inside the sanctum.Why? Ofcourse, I have visited Kalgarudar in Nachiar Koil.
*How have the vaggeyakaras dealt with Him in their compositions.?
*Was there any official interaction between Garuda &Anjaneya?I have read somewhere Vayu is Garuda's vahana.

ksrimech

Re: Garuda -The basic questions!

Post by ksrimech »

satyabalu wrote:* Why is Garuda not worshipped as much as other deities?
garuDan is worshipped and adored as one of the chief nityasUri/parichArakas/kaimkaryaparAs/servants of SrImannArAyaNan by SrIvaiSNavas. He has as much importance as adiSESa, viSvaksEna, hanumAn and others. periyAzhvAr is an avatAra of garuDan. Hence, prostrating to him is as much as prostrating to garuDan. Also, we are supposed to pay respects (obeisances) to garuDan before we have darSan of tAyAr and perumAL.
satyabalu wrote:* Why is it something like Garudapuranam read only on ceremonial functions.?
garuDapurANam, generally, covers details about nature of jIvAtmA, nature of paramAtmA, how the jIvatmA gets this body, how the jIvAtmA leaves the body, how the jIvAtma gets to svargA (heaven or suvarlOka or suralOka) or narakA (hell or yamapaTNam) based or His puNyA or pApA, how he gets "treated" in svargA and narakA, etc. Since, it covers its details, our pUrvAchAryAs have indicated that during the time of the death of a near and dear one, it is necessary to read these so that at least then the others around him will listen to it. I do understand that people may be crying and may not be interested in listening to such stories of pain. There is nothing which stops us from reading garuDapurAnam during normal days. It is very much a sAttvika purANam (ref. to slOka from agni and vAyu purANams) and it too talks about the glories of SrImannArAyaNan, mahAlakSmi, vainatEyan (garuDan) and the bhAgavathAs (bhagavad bhakthas) like SrImad bhAgavatham, SrImad rAmAyaNam (itihAsam) or SrI viSNupurANam.
satyabalu wrote:* why are we not taught slokas on Him as much as Ganpathy, Murugan,,Hayagreever,Anjaneya etc.,?
Why not?? We have slOkas by svAmi dESikan like garuDa DaNDakam and garuDa panchASath and slOkAs from pAncharAtra AgamAs like viSvakSEnasamhitA, ahibudnyasamhitA, etc. One slOka which I learnt as a kid comes to my mind.
kunkumAnkitavarNAya kundEndudavaLAyacha
viSNuvAhanamastubyam pakSirAjAyatEnamaha

garuDa DanDakam: http://www.sundarasimham.org/ebooks/10GD.pdf
garuDa panchASath: http://www.ahobilavalli.org/garuda_panchasat.pdf

I dont have any SlOkAs from the AgamAs with me right now. I only have the whole AgamA as one chunk. So it would be difficult to look for any SlOkA right now.
satyabalu wrote:*How far He has been dealt with in Pasurams &Avatharams.?
Yes, AzhvArs have sung about how vainatEyan performs kaimkaryam to perumAL and tAyAr.

It would be difficult to go through how garuDan is dealt by SrI vAlmIki mahaRSi, SrI parASara mahaRSi, SrI vyAsa mahaRSi and SrI Sukha mahaRSi in each of perumAL avatArams. I can give quick examples. In SrImad rAmAyaNam, SrI vAlmIki mahaRSi mentions that indrajith used nAgAstram and tied SrI rAmA, SrI lakSmaNa, SrI AnjanEya, SrI sugrIvA and the vAnasainyam. SrI garuDazhvAn comes and releases everybody from the nAga pASam. SrI garuDAzhvAn did this as he needed some kaimkaryam in SrI rAmAvatAram. Secondly, in SrIkRSNAvatAram, there are many instances where SrIkRSNa summons garuDazhvAn for kaimkaryam. One such time was when SrIkRSNan mounted on garuDAzhvAn killed narakAsura and we still today celebrate narakAsura chaturdaSi a.k.a. dIpAvali utsavam. There are also stories of garuDan's birth and life in SrImad bhAgavatham. Again, garuDan is a nityaSuri, yet for the lIlA of perumAL, he takes birth like other nityasUris, AzhvAr and AchAryas do.

satyabalu wrote:* His sannadhi I have observed is always in the entrance facing the Lord not inside the sanctum.Why? Ofcourse, I have visited Kalgarudar in Nachiar Koil.
In the purANas, vainatEyan is referred to as vEdAtmA vihagESvaraha, meaning he is the AtmA for the vEdAs. He is also referred to as the darpaNam or mirror made of vEdAs in the pAncharAtra Agama. Also, The one who is vEdavEdyan is SrImannArAyaNan (ref. to SrImad bhagavad gItA slOka: "vEdaisccha sarvaihi ahamEva vEdyaha vEdAnta kRt vEda vidEvachAham" and SrI skAnda purANa SlOka: "vEdavEdyE parE pumSi jAtE daSaratAtmajE vEda prAchEdasAth AsIth sAkSAth rAmAyaNAth manA"). To see Himself, SrImannArAyaNan does not use any ordinary mirror but uses vEdAtmA, i.e. garuDan. Hence, you find garuDan always sitting in front of perumAL. This is true in almost all the temples except one divyadEsam in tirunAngUr where tirumangayAzhvAr forced perumAL to order garuDan to move out of his usual place.

kalgaruDan is like the utsavamUrthy, whom tirunaRaiyUr nambi nArAyaNan uses exclusively for His garuDasEva and should not be confused with the mUlamUrthy garuDan in front of perumAL. garuDa sEva is famous in almost all divyadEsams as garuDasEvai kOlam itself represents nammAzhvAr's manas. nammAzhvAr mentions this in a pAsuram for tentiruppErai perumAL, makaranEDumkuzhaikkAdapperumAL/makarAyakarNapAsamUrthy.
satyabalu wrote:*How have the vaggeyakaras dealt with Him in their compositions.?
thyAgarAjasvAmi has again sung one song direclty on him. viSNu vAhanuDai in SankarAbharaNa rAga talks about him exclusively. It is from prahlAdha bhakti vijayam. You can hear Smt Suguna VaradAchAri teach this song @ http://www.aradhana.org/sampradaya/2008 ... vahana.zip

There are many songs where he gets referenced. vinatAsuta vAhana in jayanthasEna is one such song. muttusvAmi dIkSitar has not sung any song on garuDan exclusively. He references him with words vihanga turangam in rangapuravihAra and other songs. You can get lyrics of other vAggEyakkAras as well. Others may be able to fill in details.
satyabalu wrote:*Was there any official interaction between Garuda &Anjaneya?I have read somewhere Vayu is Garuda's vahana.
Except for that one SrIrAmayaNa sarga in yuddhakANDam, garuDan and AnjanEya never seem to have interacted. garuDan went to SrIvaikuNTam to perform service but AnjanEya didn't want mokSam since he wouldn't be able to chant the tAraka mantram in SrIvaikunTam. sAma gAnam is done is SrIvaikuNTam. AnjanEya now resides in the himAlayA parvata chanting SrIrAma SrIrAma SrIrAma. We may have to do more research in the direction anyone one shows a pointer.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Very educative,exhaustive &point to point reply to my doubts borne out of my lack knowledge on the subject. I am glad atleast my curiosity has kindled you to bring out the inputs in a lucid style. I am proud of being a part of you as a fellow forumite.Ksrimech.!Thank you for the elite mail on the eve of Garuda Panchami .today!In the meantime, I am also updated in that in Panchamukha Anjaneya west face is Garuda..Seven hoods of Adisesha was brought by Garuda to earth-Seven Hills.Krishna says in Bhagwath Gita"Of the birds I am the son of Vinata(Garuda)."

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

satyabalu- I'm honored to answer questions related to perumAL, tAyAr, nityasUris, azhvArs and AchAryas. All glories should go to my acharyan, SrI DoDDAchAryAr, and SrI vELukkuDi kRSNan svAmi (who is a senior SiSyA of my achAryan and my mAnasIka AchAryan). Any mistakes committed are all mine and mine alone.

arunk

Post by arunk »

There is another krithi in prahlada bhakthi vijayam on garuDa (or at least involving garuDa) - vinatAsuta rA rA in beautiful husEni. I believe this is the starting "scene" of the story part in the opera. prahlada is on the ocean floor unconscious (after his dad's minions dump him into the sea/ocean) and samudraraja sings this to call out to garuda to help/save him - . The whole song is addressed to garuda. I am fortunate to have learned it.

Arun

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Great post on periya tiruvaDi, ksrimech...you have such an encyclopaedic knowledge of the ramanuja sampradayam!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

ksrimech:
Post #2 is very well done.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thank you. :$

arasi

Post by arasi »

Krishna,
Your erudition shines. There is always something to learn from you about vaiNava vishayangaL!

bElUru Chenna kESava temple in Karnataka has a lovely sculpture of GaruDAzhvAr commanding the courtyard there. Not a huge figure, but what presence!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

bElUru Chenna kESava temple in Karnataka has a lovely sculpture of GaruDAzhvAr commanding the courtyard there. Not a huge figure, but what presence!
I agree. the comely garuDa outside chennakEshava's shrines is commensurate to his master's beauty.

in the same district as bElUr (hAssan?) are other shrines with special garuda icons. Bindiganavale has an exclusive shrine to garuDa, with a wooden (dAru-maya) vigraha made of rosewood [raktachandana] that is constantly anointed with sandal oil. this is one of the most beautiful shrines to garuDa.

At nuggEhalli, in the same district, is a shrine to Narasimha, where GaruDa can be seen with his two wifes - rudrA and sukIrti.

The dhwajasthambhaM outside the nambi nArAyaNa shrine at kerE tonnUr [tondanUr](near melkOTE, maNDyA district), has a bewitching garuda, who looks as if he is going to fly away any moment now!

The garuDa just outside the mUla sannidih at shrIrangaM, is a most majestic, imposing and awe-inspiring icon.

There is a dimunitive Garuda overlooking the chandra pushkariNI.

There is another shrine to garuDa in the shrIrangam complex, on the way to the chakrrattAzhwAr sannidhi, to the left; where a saligrAma shilA icon of garuDa bedecked with 9 snakes sheds light.

See below - http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... zECd616pc=

tiruveLLIyanguDi has an icon of garutman with 4 arms, two in anjali and two bearing the shankha-chakra-s which is rare.

srI nigamAnta mahAdeshika i.e. vEnkatanAtha first was initiated into the GaruDa-mantram, and propitiated garuDa at tiruvahIndrapuraM; who blessed him, and taught him the hayashIrSa mantraM; and a grateful vEdAnta dEshika sang his praises in three stOtra-s.

There are musical compositions by mIsu krishnayyaR in praise of GaruDa, besides the two by tyagarAja.

satyabalu,

If you want a hymn to garuDa, i would request you to read the daNDakam of dEshika, which is as much a kAvya - a piece of literature as it is a stutI.

The poet-logician says 'shruti-sindhu-sudhA-utpAda-mandarAya garutmatE' - Salutations to garuDa, who is like mount mandara in churning the milk ocean of the vEda-s; extracting the ambrosial essence.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Keerthi,
Thank you so much. I've missed many temples in the vicinity of bElUru, then :(
How could I not think of the imposing but benign figure of the great GaruDA in Srirangam?
Yes, the kavi tArkika kEsari's works are wonderful in their poetic beauty. How I wish I knew enough sanskrit to appreciate them without translations!

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

ThQ keerthi! can u tell me what is the kriti of Misu Krishnier?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Beautiful Picture Keerti. Thanks for adding with the verses from garuDa DanDakam. I also found out that even in tentiruppErai divya dEsam, the garuDan has moved away from his usual position in front of perumAL. Also, the imposing figure of garuDa at SrIrangam is said to be for lifting the praNavAkAra divya vimAnam which was, first, worshipped by SrIrAman and, later, presented to vibhISaNAzhAvAn. If you ever visit SrIrangam, you may request someone in the temple to show you the mural (painting) which illustrates this here-say story (though it is not found in SrIranga mAhAtmyam).

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

ksrimech,

Do you mean this one..? Or is there an older mural depicting the same image?

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=h ... m=1&itbs=1

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

That is the one.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

"
இன்று கருட பஞ்சமி......
கருட பஞ்சமியில் கருடனை வணங்கி வளம்பெறுவோம்
நான் பறவைகளில் பட்சிராஜனான கருடனாயிருக்கிறேன்' என்று கீதையில் கூறியுள்ளான் கண்ணன். நித்யசூரிகளில் கருடன் இரண்டாமிடத்தை வகிக்கிறார். பொய்கையாழ்வார் கருடனை போற்றுகையில் "அனந்தனாகிய ஆதிசேஷனைப்போலவே கருடனும் திருமாலுக்குப் பலவித சேவைகளைச் செய்கிறார்' என்று குறிப்பிடுகிறார். அனந்தன், கருடன், விஸ்வக்சேனர் என்ற வரிசையில், அனந்தனான ஆதிசேஷன் இலக்குவனாகவும், பின்னர் ராமானுஜராகவும், பின்பு பெரியஜீயர் மணவாள மாமுனிகளாகவும் அவதரித்தார். விஸ்வக்சேனர் நம்மாழ்வாராக அவதரித்தார் என்பதை அறிவோம். கருட பகவானோ வேத ஸ்வரூபி. ஆளவந்தார் கருடனை "வேதாத்மா விஹகேஸ்வரர்' என்று போற்றுகிறார்.
இவரை பெரிய திருவடி என்றும் போற்றுவர்.
ஸ்வாமி தேசிகனுக்கு அவருடைய ஆசார்யர் கருட மந்திரத்தைதான் உபதேசித்தார். அதை ஜெபித்ததால் அவருக்கு ஹயவதனின் அருள் கிடைத்தது. கருடனை "கருத்மான்' என்றும் அழைப்பார்கள். தீரன் என்பது அதன் பொருளாகும். யாருக்கும் அஞ்சாதவர். இவர் ஒருசமயம் தேவலோகத்திலிருந்து
இன்று கருட பஞ்சமி......
கருட பஞ்சமியில் கருடனை வணங்கி வளம்பெறுவோம்
நான் பறவைகளில் பட்சிராஜனான கருடனாயிருக்கிறேன்' என்று கீதையில் கூறியுள்ளான் கண்ணன். நித்யசூரிகளில் கருடன் இரண்டாமிடத்தை வகிக்கிறார். பொய்கையாழ்வார் கருடனை போற்றுகையில் "அனந்தனாகிய ஆதிசேஷனைப்போலவே கருடனும் திருமாலுக்குப் பலவித சேவைகளைச் செய்கிறார்' என்று குறிப்பிடுகிறார். அனந்தன், கருடன், விஸ்வக்சேனர் என்ற வரிசையில், அனந்தனான ஆதிசேஷன் இலக்குவனாகவும், பின்னர் ராமானுஜராகவும், பின்பு பெரியஜீயர் மணவாள மாமுனிகளாகவும் அவதரித்தார். விஸ்வக்சேனர் நம்மாழ்வாராக அவதரித்தார் என்பதை அறிவோம். கருட பகவானோ வேத ஸ்வரூபி. ஆளவந்தார் கருடனை "வேதாத்மா விஹகேஸ்வரர்' என்று போற்றுகிறார்.
இவரை பெரிய திருவடி என்றும் போற்றுவர்.
ஸ்வாமி தேசிகனுக்கு அவருடைய ஆசார்யர் கருட மந்திரத்தைதான் உபதேசித்தார். அதை ஜெபித்ததால் அவருக்கு ஹயவதனின் அருள் கிடைத்தது. கருடனை "கருத்மான்' என்றும் அழைப்பார்கள். தீரன் என்பது அதன் பொருளாகும். யாருக்கும் அஞ்சாதவர். இவர் ஒருசமயம் தேவலோகத்திலிருந்து அமிர்தத்தை எடுத்துவந்தாராம். (அது தனிக்கதை). அவரை தேவர்களாலும்- ஏன் தேவேந்திரனாலும் தடுக்கமுடியவில்லை. தன் இறகுகளை வீசி இந்திரனையே மயக்கமடையச் செய்தார். இதைக்கண்ட தேவர்கள் கருடனை "ஸுபர்ணன்' என்று புகழ்ந்தார்கள். இவரின் வீரத்தில் மகிழ்ச்சிகொண்ட திருமாலே, "உனக்கு என்ன வரம் வேண்டும்?' என்று கேட்டாராம். அவர் பரமனைப் பார்த்து, "நானே உமக்கு வரம் தருகிறேன்; என்ன வரம் வேண்டும்?' என்று திருப்பிக்கேட்டாராம்.
புன்னகைத்த திருமால், "நான் எப்போதும் உன் தோளுக்குமேல் இருக்கவேண்டும்' என்று கேட்டாராம். "அவ்வாறே ஆகட்டும்' என்றார் கருடன். பிறகு திருமால் கருடனிடம் "நீ வரம் ஏதும் கேட்கவில்லையே?' என்று வினவ, "நான் உமது தலைக்குமேல் இருக்கவேண்டும்' என்று கேட்க, திருமாலும் அருளினார்.
அதனால்தான் நாராயணன் அவர் தோள்மீதேறி தம் வாகனமாகக் கொண்டார். கருடனைத் தன் கொடியாக ஏற்று, தன் தலைக்குமேல் பறக்கும் கொடியில் இருக்கச்செய்தார். இதுதான் நாம் திருக்கோவில்களில் பார்க்கும் கொடிமரத்தின் தத்துவம். கொடிமரத்தின்கீழ் கருடன் சந்நிதியும் அமைந்திருக்கும்.
ஏற்கெனவே வினதை, கத்ரு இருவருக்கும் பகைமையிருந்ததால், அவர்கள் பிள்ளைகளான கருடனுக்கும் பாம்புகளுக்கும் பகை தொடர்ந்தது. இந்த நிலையில் ஒரு சூழ்ச்சி மூலம் வினதையை தன் அடிமையாக்கிக் கொண்டாள் கத்ரு. இதையறிந்த கருடன் தன் தாயின் அடிமைத்தனத்தை நீக்கத்தான் தேவலோகத்திலிருந்து அமிர்த கலசத்தைக் கொண்டுவந்தார்.
கருடன் நாகங்களைக் கொன்றுவந்தார். இதற்கு ஒரு முடிவுகட்ட எண்ணிய பிரம்மா, தேவர்களின் கோரிக்கையை ஏற்று, சூரியன் தன் தேரின் லகானாக ஒரு பாம்பை ஏற்க, சிவபிரான் ஒரு பாம்பைத் தன் ஆபரணமாகக் கொள்ள, திருமாலானவர் ஆதிசேஷனை தன் அரவணையாக (படுக்கை) ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள, சில நாகங்களை கருடனே தன் ஆபரணங்களாக ஏற்றுக்கொண்டார். கருட பகவானுக்கு ருத்ரா, ஸுகீர்த்தி என்ற இரண்டு தேவிகள். இவர்களே அரங்கநாயகிக்கு இரு கண்களாகத் திகழ்கிறார்களாம்.
கருட பகவான் திருமாலின் பல லீலைகளில் எப்படி சம்பந்தப்பட்டுள்ளார் என்றறியலாமா?
கஜேந்திரன் என்ற யானையின் காலை ஒரு முதலை கல்வியிழுக்க, அந்த ஆபத்திலிருந்து காக்க திருமாலை "ஆதிமூலமே' என்று கூவிச் சரணடைய, திருமாலின் திருவுள்ளத்தை அறிந்த கருடன் வாயுவேகத்தில் அவரை கஜேந்திரன் இருக்குமிடத்திற்குக் கொண்டுவந்து சேர்த்தார். அதனை பெரியாழ்வார், "உதவ புள்ளூர்ந்து அங்கு உறுதுயர் தீர்த்த' என்று தன் பாசுரத்தில் குறிப்பிடுகிறார்.
இராமாயண காலத்தில் போர்க்களத்தில் இராம- லட்சுமணர்களை இந்திரஜித் நாக பாசத்தால் கட்டிப்போட, அவர்கள் மயங்கி விழுந்தபோது கருட பகவான் வந்து தன் சிறகுகளால் வீசி அவர்களை மூர்ச்சையிலிருந்து தெளியவைத்தார்.
கிருஷ்ணாவதாரத்தில், சத்யபாமாவுக்காக பாரிஜாத மரத்தைக் கொண்டுவந்ததாகவும் கூறுவர்.
கருட பகவானே ஆழ்வார்களில் பெரியாழ்வாராக அவதரித்தார். பாண்டியன் சபையில் பரதத்வ நிர்ணயம் செய்து பொற்கிழியைப் பெற்றபோது, மன்னன் அவரை பெருமைப்படுத்த எண்ணி, பெரியாழ்வாரை யானைமீதேற்றி ராஜவீதிகளில் பவனிவரச் செய்தான். அப்போது தன் பக்தனின் வைபவத்தைக் கண்டுமகிழ திருமால் கருடாரூடனாக வானில் காட்சி கொடுத்தார்.
திருமாலின் திவ்யகருடசேவை காட்சி யைக் கண்ட பெரியாழ்வார், அவனுக்கு யாரேனும் கண்ணேறு (கண்திருஷ்டி) வைத்துவிடுவார்களோ என்று மனம் பதறி, "பல்லாண்டு பல்லாண்டு' என்று பாடுகிறார். அவனுக்கு மட்டுமா பல்லாண்டு? அவனின் வலமார்பினில் வாழ்கின்ற மங்கைக்கும், அவன் திருக்கரங்களிலே ஜ்வலிக்கும் சங்கு சக்கரங்களுக்கும் பல்லாண்டு பாடுகிறார். "அவன் இறைவன்; நாம் சாதாரண மானிடன். அவனை வாழ்த்துவதற்கு தனக்கு என்ன தகுதியிருக்கிறது' என்றெல்லாம் பார்க்கவில்லை. அவர்மீது ஏற்பட்ட பரிவு அவரை பரந்தாமனுக்கு பல்லாண்டு பாடவைத்தது. அதனால்தான் பூமிப்பிராட்டியை அவரின் திருமகளாய் அவதரிக்கச் செய்து, அவளையும் தன் நாயகியாய் ஏற்றுக்கொண்டு அவருக்கு மாமனார் ஸ்தானத்தையும் கொடுத்தார்- பரவையேறு பரமபுருஷனான பரந்தாமன். அதனால்தான் ஸ்ரீவில்லிபுத்தூரிலே ஆண்டாள். ரங்கமன்னாருடன் ஒரே ஆசனத்தில் கருடனுடன் காட்சி யளிக்கிறான் அக்கருணா காகுத்தன்.
கருட பகவானைத் பய பக்தியுடன் வணங்கினால் நோய்களிலிருந்து நிவாரணம், தொலைந்த பொருள் கிடைத்தல், தோஷ நிவர்த்தி உள்ளிட்ட அனைத்து நலன்களும் கிட்டும்.
கருட பஞ்சமியில் கருடனை வணங்கி வளம்பெறுவோம்!

). அவரை தேவர்களாலும்- ஏன் தேவேந்திரனாலும் தடுக்கமுடியவில்லை. தன் இறகுகளை வீசி இந்திரனையே மயக்கமடையச் செய்தார். இதைக்கண்ட தேவர்கள் கருடனை "ஸுபர்ணன்' என்று புகழ்ந்தார்கள். இவரின் வீரத்தில் மகிழ்ச்சிகொண்ட திருமாலே, "உனக்கு என்ன வரம் வேண்டும்?' என்று கேட்டாராம். அவர் பரமனைப் பார்த்து, "நானே உமக்கு வரம் தருகிறேன்; என்ன வரம் வேண்டும்?' என்று திருப்பிக்கேட்டாராம்.
புன்னகைத்த திருமால், "நான் எப்போதும் உன் தோளுக்குமேல் இருக்கவேண்டும்' என்று கேட்டாராம். "அவ்வாறே ஆகட்டும்' என்றார் கருடன். பிறகு திருமால் கருடனிடம் "நீ வரம் ஏதும் கேட்கவில்லையே?' என்று வினவ, "நான் உமது தலைக்குமேல் இருக்கவேண்டும்' என்று கேட்க, திருமாலும் அருளினார்.
அதனால்தான் நாராயணன் அவர் தோள்மீதேறி தம் வாகனமாகக் கொண்டார். கருடனைத் தன் கொடியாக ஏற்று, தன் தலைக்குமேல் பறக்கும் கொடியில் இருக்கச்செய்தார். இதுதான் நாம் திருக்கோவில்களில் பார்க்கும் கொடிமரத்தின் தத்துவம். கொடிமரத்தின்கீழ் கருடன் சந்நிதியும் அமைந்திருக்கும்.
ஏற்கெனவே வினதை, கத்ரு இருவருக்கும் பகைமையிருந்ததால், அவர்கள் பிள்ளைகளான கருடனுக்கும் பாம்புகளுக்கும் பகை தொடர்ந்தது. இந்த நிலையில் ஒரு சூழ்ச்சி மூலம் வினதையை தன் அடிமையாக்கிக் கொண்டாள் கத்ரு. இதையறிந்த கருடன் தன் தாயின் அடிமைத்தனத்தை நீக்கத்தான் தேவலோகத்திலிருந்து அமிர்த கலசத்தைக் கொண்டுவந்தார்.
கருடன் நாகங்களைக் கொன்றுவந்தார். இதற்கு ஒரு முடிவுகட்ட எண்ணிய பிரம்மா, தேவர்களின் கோரிக்கையை ஏற்று, சூரியன் தன் தேரின் லகானாக ஒரு பாம்பை ஏற்க, சிவபிரான் ஒரு பாம்பைத் தன் ஆபரணமாகக் கொள்ள, திருமாலானவர் ஆதிசேஷனை தன் அரவணையாக (படுக்கை) ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள, சில நாகங்களை கருடனே தன் ஆபரணங்களாக ஏற்றுக்கொண்டார். கருட பகவானுக்கு ருத்ரா, ஸுகீர்த்தி என்ற இரண்டு தேவிகள். இவர்களே அரங்கநாயகிக்கு இரு கண்களாகத் திகழ்கிறார்களாம்.
கருட பகவான் திருமாலின் பல லீலைகளில் எப்படி சம்பந்தப்பட்டுள்ளார் என்றறியலாமா?
கஜேந்திரன் என்ற யானையின் காலை ஒரு முதலை கல்வியிழுக்க, அந்த ஆபத்திலிருந்து காக்க திருமாலை "ஆதிமூலமே' என்று கூவிச் சரணடைய, திருமாலின் திருவுள்ளத்தை அறிந்த கருடன் வாயுவேகத்தில் அவரை கஜேந்திரன் இருக்குமிடத்திற்குக் கொண்டுவந்து சேர்த்தார். அதனை பெரியாழ்வார், "உதவ புள்ளூர்ந்து அங்கு உறுதுயர் தீர்த்த' என்று தன் பாசுரத்தில் குறிப்பிடுகிறார்.
இராமாயண காலத்தில் போர்க்களத்தில் இராம- லட்சுமணர்களை இந்திரஜித் நாக பாசத்தால் கட்டிப்போட, அவர்கள் மயங்கி விழுந்தபோது கருட பகவான் வந்து தன் சிறகுகளால் வீசி அவர்களை மூர்ச்சையிலிருந்து தெளியவைத்தார்.
கிருஷ்ணாவதாரத்தில், சத்யபாமாவுக்காக பாரிஜாத மரத்தைக் கொண்டுவந்ததாகவும் கூறுவர்.
கருட பகவானே ஆழ்வார்களில் பெரியாழ்வாராக அவதரித்தார். பாண்டியன் சபையில் பரதத்வ நிர்ணயம் செய்து பொற்கிழியைப் பெற்றபோது, மன்னன் அவரை பெருமைப்படுத்த எண்ணி, பெரியாழ்வாரை யானைமீதேற்றி ராஜவீதிகளில் பவனிவரச் செய்தான். அப்போது தன் பக்தனின் வைபவத்தைக் கண்டுமகிழ திருமால் கருடாரூடனாக வானில் காட்சி கொடுத்தார்.
திருமாலின் திவ்யகருடசேவை காட்சி யைக் கண்ட பெரியாழ்வார், அவனுக்கு யாரேனும் கண்ணேறு (கண்திருஷ்டி) வைத்துவிடுவார்களோ என்று மனம் பதறி, "பல்லாண்டு பல்லாண்டு' என்று பாடுகிறார். அவனுக்கு மட்டுமா பல்லாண்டு? அவனின் வலமார்பினில் வாழ்கின்ற மங்கைக்கும், அவன் திருக்கரங்களிலே ஜ்வலிக்கும் சங்கு சக்கரங்களுக்கும் பல்லாண்டு பாடுகிறார். "அவன் இறைவன்; நாம் சாதாரண மானிடன். அவனை வாழ்த்துவதற்கு தனக்கு என்ன தகுதியிருக்கிறது' என்றெல்லாம் பார்க்கவில்லை. அவர்மீது ஏற்பட்ட பரிவு அவரை பரந்தாமனுக்கு பல்லாண்டு பாடவைத்தது. அதனால்தான் பூமிப்பிராட்டியை அவரின் திருமகளாய் அவதரிக்கச் செய்து, அவளையும் தன் நாயகியாய் ஏற்றுக்கொண்டு அவருக்கு மாமனார் ஸ்தானத்தையும் கொடுத்தார்- பரவையேறு பரமபுருஷனான பரந்தாமன். அதனால்தான் ஸ்ரீவில்லிபுத்தூரிலே ஆண்டாள். ரங்கமன்னாருடன் ஒரே ஆசனத்தில் கருடனுடன் காட்சி யளிக்கிறான் அக்கருணா காகுத்தன்.
கருட பகவானைத் பய பக்தியுடன் வணங்கினால் நோய்களிலிருந்து நிவாரணம், தொலைந்த பொருள் கிடைத்தல், தோஷ நிவர்த்தி உள்ளிட்ட அனைத்து நலன்களும் கிட்டும்.
கருட பஞ்சமியில் கருடனை வணங்கி வளம்பெறுவோம்!"

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

“Pakshow they marutha ha: padhu, chandra ha: brustam saputraka I
Serasthu padhu they vanni hi: baskara ha: sarvamevathu II
vishnu hu: sarvagatha ha: sarvanee anganee dhvaicha vahi” III

The above sloka, is the blessing words which Garuda Bhagwan got from his mother Vinathai when he went to fetch the Amrutham, these same words were told by Kaushalya Devi who blessed her son Lord Rama when he started for Vanavasam.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

mahAbhAratam, Adiparvam

पक्षौ ते मारुतः पातु चन्द्रसूर्यौ च पृष्ठतः ।
शिरश्च पातु वह्निस्ते वसवः सर्वतस्तनुम् ।
`विष्णुः सर्वगतः सर्वमह्गानि तव चैव ह ।'

In familiar transliteration :-

pakSau tE mAruta: pAtu candrasUryau ca pruSTHata:
shirashca pAtu vahnistE vasava: sarvatastanum
' viSNu: sarvagata: sarvamahgAni tava caiva ha '

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

My translation:
may the wind god protect your wings/flanks
the moon and the sun your back/rear
the fire god your head, the gods of the directions on all sides,
And Vishnu, who pervades all, may He protect you in all your journeys

SuhaelAmrita

Post by SuhaelAmrita »

ksrimech wrote: 14 Aug 2010, 00:04
satyabalu wrote:* Why is Garuda not worshipped as much as other deities?
garuDan is worshipped and adored as one of the chief nityasUri/parichArakas/kaimkaryaparAs/servants of SrImannArAyaNan by SrIvaiSNavas. He has as much importance as adiSESa, viSvaksEna, hanumAn and others. periyAzhvAr is an avatAra of garuDan. Hence, prostrating to him is as much as prostrating to garuDan. Also, we are supposed to pay respects (obeisances) to garuDan before we have darSan of tAyAr and perumAL.
satyabalu wrote:* Why is it something like Garudapuranam read only on ceremonial functions.?
garuDapurANam, generally, covers details about nature of jIvAtmA, nature of paramAtmA, how the jIvatmA gets this body, how the jIvAtmA leaves the body, how the jIvAtma gets to svargA (heaven or suvarlOka or suralOka) or narakA (hell or yamapaTNam) based or His puNyA or pApA, how he gets "treated" in svargA and narakA, etc. Since, it covers its details, our pUrvAchAryAs have indicated that during the time of the death of a near and dear one, it is necessary to read these so that at least then the others around him will listen to it. I do understand that people may be crying and may not be interested in listening to such stories of pain. There is nothing which stops us from reading garuDapurAnam during normal days. It is very much a sAttvika purANam (ref. to slOka from agni and vAyu purANams) and it too talks about the glories of SrImannArAyaNan, mahAlakSmi, vainatEyan (garuDan) and the bhAgavathAs (bhagavad bhakthas) like SrImad bhAgavatham, SrImad rAmAyaNam (itihAsam) or SrI viSNupurANam.
satyabalu wrote:* why are we not taught slokas on Him as much as Ganpathy, Murugan,,Hayagreever,Anjaneya etc.,?
Why not?? We have slOkas by svAmi dESikan like garuDa DaNDakam and garuDa panchASath and slOkAs from pAncharAtra AgamAs like viSvakSEnasamhitA, ahibudnyasamhitA, etc. One slOka which I learnt as a kid comes to my mind.
kunkumAnkitavarNAya kundEndudavaLAyacha
viSNuvAhanamastubyam pakSirAjAyatEnamaha

garuDa DanDakam: http://www.sundarasimham.org/ebooks/10GD.pdf
garuDa panchASath: http://www.ahobilavalli.org/garuda_panchasat.pdf

I dont have any SlOkAs from the AgamAs with me right now. I only have the whole AgamA as one chunk. So it would be difficult to look for any SlOkA right now.
satyabalu wrote:*How far He has been dealt with in Pasurams &Avatharams.?
Yes, AzhvArs have sung about how vainatEyan performs kaimkaryam to perumAL and tAyAr.

It would be difficult to go through how garuDan is dealt by SrI vAlmIki mahaRSi, SrI parASara mahaRSi, SrI vyAsa mahaRSi and SrI Sukha mahaRSi in each of perumAL avatArams. I can give quick examples. In SrImad rAmAyaNam, SrI vAlmIki mahaRSi mentions that indrajith used nAgAstram and tied SrI rAmA, SrI lakSmaNa, SrI AnjanEya, SrI sugrIvA and the vAnasainyam. SrI garuDazhvAn comes and releases everybody from the nAga pASam. SrI garuDAzhvAn did this as he needed some kaimkaryam in SrI rAmAvatAram. Secondly, in SrIkRSNAvatAram, there are many instances where SrIkRSNa summons garuDazhvAn for kaimkaryam. One such time was when SrIkRSNan mounted on garuDAzhvAn killed narakAsura and we still today celebrate narakAsura chaturdaSi a.k.a. dIpAvali utsavam. There are also stories of garuDan's birth and life in SrImad bhAgavatham. Again, garuDan is a nityaSuri, yet for the lIlA of perumAL, he takes birth like other nityasUris, AzhvAr and AchAryas do.

satyabalu wrote:* His sannadhi I have observed is always in the entrance facing the Lord not inside the sanctum.Why? Ofcourse, I have visited Kalgarudar in Nachiar Koil.
In the purANas, vainatEyan is referred to as vEdAtmA vihagESvaraha, meaning he is the AtmA for the vEdAs. He is also referred to as the darpaNam or mirror made of vEdAs in the pAncharAtra Agama. Also, The one who is vEdavEdyan is SrImannArAyaNan (ref. to SrImad bhagavad gItA slOka: "vEdaisccha sarvaihi ahamEva vEdyaha vEdAnta kRt vEda vidEvachAham" and SrI skAnda purANa SlOka: "vEdavEdyE parE pumSi jAtE daSaratAtmajE vEda prAchEdasAth AsIth sAkSAth rAmAyaNAth manA"). To see Himself, SrImannArAyaNan does not use any ordinary mirror but uses vEdAtmA, i.e. garuDan. Hence, you find garuDan always sitting in front of perumAL. This is true in almost all the temples except one divyadEsam in tirunAngUr where tirumangayAzhvAr forced perumAL to order garuDan to move out of his usual place.

kalgaruDan is like the utsavamUrthy, whom tirunaRaiyUr nambi nArAyaNan uses exclusively for His garuDasEva and should not be confused with the mUlamUrthy garuDan in front of perumAL. garuDa sEva is famous in almost all divyadEsams as garuDasEvai kOlam itself represents nammAzhvAr's manas. nammAzhvAr mentions this in a pAsuram for tentiruppErai perumAL, makaranEDumkuzhaikkAdapperumAL/makarAyakarNapAsamUrthy.
satyabalu wrote:*How have the vaggeyakaras dealt with Him in their compositions.?
thyAgarAjasvAmi has again sung one song direclty on him. viSNu vAhanuDai in SankarAbharaNa rAga talks about him exclusively. It is from prahlAdha bhakti vijayam. You can hear Smt Suguna VaradAchAri teach this song @ http://www.aradhana.org/sampradaya/2008 ... vahana.zip

There are many songs where he gets referenced. vinatAsuta vAhana in jayanthasEna is one such song. muttusvAmi dIkSitar has not sung any song on garuDan exclusively. He references him with words vihanga turangam in rangapuravihAra and other songs. You can get lyrics of other vAggEyakkAras as well. Others may be able to fill in details.
satyabalu wrote:*Was there any official interaction between Garuda &Anjaneya?I have read somewhere Vayu is Garuda's vahana.
Except for that one SrIrAmayaNa sarga in yuddhakANDam, garuDan and AnjanEya never seem to have interacted. garuDan went to SrIvaikuNTam to perform service but AnjanEya didn't want mokSam since he wouldn't be able to chant the tAraka mantram in SrIvaikunTam. sAma gAnam is done is SrIvaikuNTam. AnjanEya now resides in the himAlayA parvata chanting SrIrAma SrIrAma SrIrAma. We may have to do more research in the direction anyone one shows a pointer.
Enlightened by your detailed explanation on this topic. Undoubtedly, one of the most intriguing posts with such amazing references. As a student of dance, reading through all these references is not just widening the depth but also enabling a strong expression & quest for my dance vocabulary. Truly heartened to find this richness in this forum. Thank you!

SuhaelAmrita

Post by SuhaelAmrita »

arunk wrote: 14 Aug 2010, 02:05 There is another krithi in prahlada bhakthi vijayam on garuDa (or at least involving garuDa) - vinatAsuta rA rA in beautiful husEni. I believe this is the starting "scene" of the story part in the opera. prahlada is on the ocean floor unconscious (after his dad's minions dump him into the sea/ocean) and samudraraja sings this to call out to garuda to help/save him - . The whole song is addressed to garuda. I am fortunate to have learned it.

Arun
Oh my God! So this is the reference to context to this song. Wow!!! Thank you for sharing such an amazing fact.