Ragam - Tanam - Pallavi

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Hi,

Would be grateful if anyone of you could upload in its entirety the RTP - Sankarabarananai azhaithodi vadi Kalyani Darbaril rendered by KVN. The now-popular link vasya10.tripod.com does not contain the fourth portion of this RTP.

Kaumaaram

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kaumaaram,
There are 2 versions of that RTP that were posted: I think this is the one that is complete and has better sound quality.
Ravi
http://rapidshare.de/files/11299619/cha ... r.mp3.html

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Ravi:

Thanks a ton.

Srkris:

Please will you upload this file in your audio folder. Thanks.

Kaumaaram

Bagesh

Post by Bagesh »

hi

Can anyone please give me the password for ramakrishnans folder

Bagesh

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The password is - carnatic

mantra

Post by mantra »

Coolkarni Sir,
Can you post
"Kalyanramans series of concerts on 72 kritis .. not sure if it was a commercially released one.Any one who knows about it please advise me.(CLOSE TO 30 HOURS WHERE HE TALKS ABOUT THE RAGA AND KRITHI AND THEN RENDERS IT) ". I am very interested

Bagesh

Post by Bagesh »

Thanks Srkris

Bagesh

Post by Bagesh »

Anybody has sung RTP in kadanakudugalam??

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mantra.
please let me know where you are based at.
or mail me at inmech@gmail.com

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

I am looking out for a RTP (vocal) rendered by Sri TV Gopalakrishnan in AIR FM sometime in 1988/89. The RTP was based on two or three raagas: Ranjani, Janaranjani, etc. Ms. Usha Rajagopal was the violinist. Grateful if anybody having this concert could post it.

Kaumaaram

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Kaumaaram,
Post this in the Rasikapriya mailing list. Sri TVG is an active member there and he may oblige you.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I have a request...Can someone please list the pallavi lines of the following RTPs that have been uploaded? If you also have details of ragamalika swaras, please include as well. Thankyou in advance.

RTPS

TNS
Ranjani
Khamas

TRS
Ranjini
Kanada
Begada
Shankarabharanam
Bhairavi
Nattaikkurinji
Kalyani
Hemavati
Todi
Mohanam

I know the Dhwijavanthi one of TNS is "Chetasree Ramau Chinthaiye"

new_cmfan

Post by new_cmfan »

Hi Vocalist - can you please upload the tns ranjani rtp?

Thanks...

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Kaumaaram,
Post this in the Rasikapriya mailing list. Sri TVG is an active member there and he may oblige you.
I have done that Kannan. Thank you.

Kaumaaram

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Here is a scintillating RTP in Mohanam by the inimitable TVS with Mysore Nagraj on violin and T.K.Murthy on mridhangam.:
http://rapidshare.de/files/14148565/t.v ... m.mp3.html

TVS, the nephew of the Grand Master,the Late Gana Kaladara Madurai Mani Iyer,has carved a niche for himself in the CM world.Starting off his career by being a copy of the Old Master, later on he develpped a unique style of his own, with evocative raga alapanais,imaginative neravals and sangathis and manodharma in his swara prastharams.Rightly was he awarded the Sangeeta Kalanidhi a couple of years back.

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Sunayanaa,

Following are the links for the RTP with Pallavi: "Satatam cetah SrI rAmam cintayE ravikula sOmam".

http://rapidshare.de/files/5625043/01-R ... m.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/5625336/02_- ... i.mp3.html

vrbadri.

mantra

Post by mantra »

A RTP in Hamsanadham by TVS by posted earlier. I got the section piece of the RTP. Can someone post the first one?
Thanks
Shyam

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Here is another virtuoso performance: RTP in the Ragam "Surya" by TVS .
Can coolkarni please explain this raga lakshana?

http://rapidshare.de/files/14297262/T.V ... 2.zip.html

mantra

Post by mantra »

Sivaraman Sir,
The link for the RTP in Surya is deleted. Can you repost the link?
Shyam

meena

Post by meena »

mantra

u can listen to the clips

deleted

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Sorry, the link to the Surya RTP got deleted by mistake and I have again uploaded it here. Use this link :

http://rapidshare.de/files/14298789/T.V ... 2.zip.html

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<Can coolkarni please explain this raga lakshana? >>

My Wife is sighing (with me )
"I knew that this day would come soon .The day everyone finds out the truth about coolkarni"

Sivaramansaab.
I am sorry to disappoint you but I must acknowledge that my formal knowledge of music is abysmally low.
Cannot explain it myself .I have also not bothered to equip myself better simply because I am prone to be carried away by the romance of it all .So when I read a statement "BMK burst on the stage like a meteor" and i listen to a track like "E dari sancharithura" , the mixture of these two is heady enough for me to feel drugged for days .
I have rarely paused to wonder at a van gogh painting but I Love reading Lust for Life over and over again .
I attend dance programs frequently but end up closing my eyes and listening to the music only in a dark corner .
However thanks to the fact that my late Father was an Industrial Engineer who used all his talents to organise data relating to Music collections and also to the fact that I was a management professional during a period when Computers started making a huge difference , I see endless possibilities in the use of data for an enlightened awareness.
My love for HM makes things only more peculiar.Right in the midde of a Megh by say Vinayak Torvi , I start listening to MDRs phrases in madhyamavathi floating around.
So that is that kind of a struggle with me , Sivraman.

Hope someone else will pitch in for me.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear coolkarni

This splurge really belongs in 'what is a raga' thread ;-)
ra~njatE iti rAga

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Coolkarniji,
You vibe with me on the same wavelength regarding knowing the intricacies and grammar of music.Like you, I have been an ardent devotee of CM from my childhood, when I got swept away in an emotional and spiritual tide after I was initiated into the beautiful and awe-inspiring world of CM by my Late father.My first recollection of CM was through my exposure to the Immortal M.S.Amma, whose enchanting "Rama Nannu Brovara" (Harikhambhoji) and "Asai konden vande" (Simhendra Madhyamam), as also the eternally ethereal ,"Kaatrinile varum geetham" (Pilu), held me spellbound with the sheer divinity and magic of her voice and emotional spiritualism.As I grew up, I was exposed to more and more masters of CM and my horizons widened.
But my only regret in life is that I never was able to have a formal training in CM for various reasons.
However, as I look back in my contented retirment from an active service career, I think that I should count my blessings and be at peace and happiness with the knowledge that being a passionate rasika has added an extra dimension to my personality as a human being and enriched the quality of my life.
But if I can emulate even to a small extent the joy and happiness you have been able to spread all around with your bountiful philanthropy of sharing your music collection and your experiences with fellow rasikas, I shall consider myself fortunate.
I hope that some other knowledgeable soul in this forum like the revered Dr.Shrikant/Param/CMlover/Lakshman may be able to throw more light on this unusual raga "Surya" .

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sivaraman

from my notes surya is the g3 version of hindolam
aro sg3m1d1n2s'
ava s'n2d1m1g3s

Of course TVS sings the RTP with gusto!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

it is also known as sallaapam!

new_cmfan

Post by new_cmfan »

It is so close to hindolam - from a aro/avo structure standpoint - yet, it sounds so vastly different. Surya to me sounds very poignant and melancholic compared to Hindolam. Maybe these two can be used to illustrate the notion of raga - and how just one note can make a huge difference. I am sure there are other pairs like Surya/Hindolam - where an apparently small change (one note) is more than just one note.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yet another in that family is candrakauns which uses kAkali nishadam (n3) in the place of kaisiki (n2) in hindolam. Candrakauns is very popular in HM and is in fact a CM import.

And FYI the difference between shankarabharaNam and kalyaNi is just the madhyamam and how different they are!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

And FYI the difference between shankarabharaNam and kalyaNi is just the madhyamam and how different they are!
Quite true. Again this goes to the often mentioned point that prayogams and gamakams prodominantly define the raga and not the arohanam avarohanam.

With specific reference to Kalyani-Shankarabaranam, I have two specific things to offer for whatever it is worth:

1) Kalyani identity prayogams are without 'Pa' in many cases whereas in shankarabaranam the affinity to 'pa' is lot more intense.

2) In an age old AIR discussion program, I remember SSI mentioning that the Kalyani Ni is different from Sankarabaranam Ni. This is a very vague recall on my part. If others have heard such a similar program involving SSI discussing ragas that will be great to read.

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Can anyone repost the TVS RTPs

The earlier post with expired links as below

Here are the famous 3 RTPs of Sri TVS....

http://rapidshare.de/files/2692148/TVS_ ... P.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/2692206/TVS_ ... P.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/2692447/TVS_ ... i.mp3.html

Parvati.

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Sunayana,
Here is the link to RTPs in DvijAvanti and HamIr KalyANi (bonus!!!)

http://rapidshare.de/files/14385692/RTPs.zip

-Badri.

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Sunayana,

The above zip files contains RTPs in BRndAvana sAraMga and HamIr kalyANi. The following is the link for DvijAvanti. Sorry for the goof-up!:?

http://rapidshare.de/files/14387471/RTP-DvijAvanti.zip

-vrbadri.

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Thanks a ton Badri. Those were gems

mantra

Post by mantra »

Badri Sir,
How about the RTP in Hamsanadham?
Thanks
Shyam

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Mantra (Shyam),

There is no need to append a sir to me! I am just 24 yrs old! Unfortunately, I do not have the HamsanAdam RTP. I, myself, am waiting for it forl long. If it is any consolation, I do have his RTPs in Andolika and BehAg....if someone needs it, I can upload it....(not sure if the one that exist are still active...)

-vrbadri.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Vbadri
Can u/l Andolika and Behag RTPs for me?
Many thanks
Kiran

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Kiran,
Here is the link for the two RTPs

http://rapidshare.de/files/14438686/RTP-AndOlikA.zip

-vrbadri.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Thanks Vrbadri for u/l
That keeps me busy for a while

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to post an RTP recording of Shri TRS's hindOLam pallavi, "muruganai guhanai ninai nI mAl maruganai SaravaNanai"? I would be indebted.

Ashwin

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

did someone ask for tvs hamsanadam rtp (or was it uploaded ?)

in anycase --

http://rapidshare.de/files/14601946/02_ ... s.mp3.html

- regs
vasu

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Vasya10,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for compiling all the songs' links in the webpage! It helps a lot of newcomers to get at least a part of what was shared! Secondly, the link for Hamsanadam RTP has gone kaputt! :cry: Can you kindly check?

Thanks,
vrbadri.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Vyasa10
This is the second of half of the RTP. Can you kindly u/l the first part?
Thanks

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Can Vasu or someone else who has the 1st part of this RTP share it please

Thanks very mych

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Here is a crisp, concise and effective RTP in Bhairavi by Chembai that lasts for about 7 minutes

http://rapidshare.de/files/14813953/05- ... i.mp3.html

Kaumaaram

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Kaumaram, thanks very much. I have never heard anything like this before, from Chembai or any others. You are right, it is crisp, to the point and effective. Though I wish the pallavi had gone on a lot longer since it was going so well. Do you know what the context was? Meaning, he did it that way because he was short of time or he planned it that way and moved on to other things after this short RTP?

Very interesting indeed. I usually do not listen to long AlApanAs while driving alone since I need more dynamic content ( with some rhythmic support ) in that context. As a result I do not prepare disks with RTP for such driving use. But this one can definitely be on my playlist for car listening :D

Thanks.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

VK,

I am equally surprised at this amazing style of Chembai. But as I have picked it up from a live concert, I am sure that lack of time must not have been a problem. Possibly, he wanted to demonstrate that RTP too can be rendered like that. Normally, Ariyakudi is known for concise and crisp renderings. Chembai has proved that his styles are multi-faceted.

Kaumaaram

kartik

Post by kartik »

Mr Sivaraman,

The great Hindi/Baangla music director composed a lovely composition 'Teri Galiyon Mein Hum Aaye' from Mittoo (perhaps 1960/1970 timeframe) sung by Mohammed Rafi and Antara Chaudhury.That's a deadly Surya.(The scale SGMDNS/SNDMGS-Charukesi janya).
If anyone has heard Shaam Kauns can they confirm or Lakshman ji post the scale for the raga?

kartik

Post by kartik »

Correction-It is Manna Dey and Antara Chowdhury and from the film Minoo(1977)