Ragam - Tanam - Pallavi

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
meena

Post by meena »

cml

i d/l WinRAR form:
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 07 May 2008, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

form....>from

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

A request: Has any one rendered a Mohanam RTP? It would be nice to listen.
strange but true.
only thrice in my listening career.
SOMU , MLV AND TRS.

will put them up at earliest

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

coolkarni, Thanks. I look forward to the Mohanam RTP u/l. It is interesting to know. that neither MVI nor Santhanam has rendered one.

kalgada78: my apologies, I found the ranjani raga alapana by TNS.

abadri

Post by abadri »

I found three RTP's in mohanam on the Nada Anubhooti page.
The artistes performing them are MLV, TVS and LGJ.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

poongavur.
silly of me.there is one of mvi also.

inconsequential

Post by inconsequential »

theres a sri MMI mohanam rtp also. incidentally, it seems sri MVI (the mohanam king) himself called sri MMI 'mohana mani'
he certainly does somethign different to mOhanam.

kApAli, rAmanai kaNNAra kaNdAnE, mOhana rAmA, and so on.

regards

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kApAli, rAmanai kaNNAra kaNdAnE, mOhana rAmA, and so on.
...ern palli kondeerayya,evaroora,nannu palimpa,

and thanks .. i located the MMI rtp also

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

I would love to be able to hear some (if not all) of those mohanam RTPs :cheesy:

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

order registered.
early delivery promised only if you agree to discuss them without fail :lol: :lol:

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Hi ppl,
Some weeks ago I reovered a very good mohanam RTP from a cassette in a very bad condition. I can say this- It the best music quality but unfortunately not the best audio quality. I will upload it if you guys want it..
omg.. I dint mention the artist did I.. hehehe :D ,
Ok.. Its MDR-MSG but dont know abt the mrid..
so lemme know and I will upload..
and surely discuss, btw the khmas alapanai from TNS was really something..
I like, I like... I like.. I like.. :D great effort from all u guys..
ok.. happy downloadin and ahh yeas happy uploadin too.
cya

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

please upload.
i need more company :lol:
feeling lonely

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

order registered.
early delivery promised only if you agree to discuss them without fail
I will try my best. But I must warn you that I am a beginner in CM and my knowledge is limited to say anything significant.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

poongavur
you remind me of a joke i read in Readers Digest Long Long ago.It goes like this
During one of my first sessions in the US senate, Hamilton Lewis ]came over and sat down beside me. He was the chief whip at that time.
â??Donâ??t start out with an inferiority complex,â?? he told me.
â??For the first six months you will wonder how you managed to get in here - and after that ,for the rest of your life,you will wonder how the rest of us got in here
SO YOU KNOW WHERE WE ALL STAND.THE TECHNICALLY COMPETENT ONES MUST HAVE FIGURED OUT BY NOW.SO GO AHEAD AND POST.

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

ha ha. That is a good one, coolkarniji. I gave you a fair warning. Seriously, after listening to TRS' lec-dem on pallavi (thank you for the u/l), I already feel I can figure out at least somethings in an RTP. That man is a good teacher.

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

Sorry if this a bit late. I have heard a Mohanam RTP by SSI. This was in the AIR RTP programme.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rajeev

cant thank you enough for the mdr rtp

and the way you put up the analysis of that msg clip.

technology at its best....so there is till hope for guys like me .to UNDERSTAND THE WHYs AND HOWs OF WHAT WE ENJOY

inconsequential

rajeev,
could you pls email me the link for sri mdr-msg mohanam rtp? or post it here?

thanks
regards

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

incon: rajeev has posted it in another thread. here is a quote from his post giving the link:" ... here is the MDR-MSG RTP in Mohanam http://rapidshare.de/files/2718347/RTP- ... a.mp3.html "

divakar

Post by divakar »

varadarajan
link for mdr-msg mohanam rtp
http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=27WY ... CXL02ASGFR

inconsequential

poongavur, divakar

thankyouvery much for the links

regards

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

hi ppl.. sorry abt posting the mohanam rtp in another section.. screwed up actually... anyway i had a concert by thiruvuzha jayashankar and valayapatti with a thodi RTP .. It is a pretty nice concert...do lemme know if any one wants the concert or the rtp.. Also I dont think its copyrighted because recorede it myself..
nbewyas lemme know
Thanks

abadri

Post by abadri »

Rajeev, please do put this up here. If I'm not mistaken, this
would be the first nadaswaram recording shared/discussed on this
forum.

Thanks
-Badri

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

most definitely rajeev
A full nadaswaram recital with tODi RTP is great. Pl load it to rapidshare and the x-drive team will move it to x-drive full concerts folder. If the concert is over 50mb then split it into files each not exceeding 50mb while uploading.

Thank you for sharing it with us
regards

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Hi people, since I reckon its okay to share the concerts with poeple.. I will share 3 or 4 files in one post.. just so that downloading is spaced.
Also since imho , the concert quality is very very good, compression bit rates are high.. so bear wid me.. on that. Dint feel like compromising on quality.. So here goes..

Link removed to avoid copy right issues

Will upload next three items. soon..
bye

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

links removed

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

links removed

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

links removed

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thank you very much rajeev

That was a superb ToDi. The swararagamalika is scintillating. I have yet to count the ragas. Do you have the list?
Then the liltimg Yaman Kalyani. The tani is really electrifying.

Grateful to you for u/l!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just wanted to add that the final piece is not Rangapuravihara Of MD which is Brindavana Saranga. It sounds to me like:
'varuvaanO vanakkuyilE nataraajan...' (could somebody post the lyric)

meena

Post by meena »

rAgA:sahAna.Adi tALA. Composer:Suddhananda Bharati

P:varuvAnO vana kuyilE naTarAjan varuvAnO vana kuyilE
A:tiruvOngum tillaiyil cinmaya natam sheyyum dEvAdi dEvan ennuL sEvadi vaittADa
C1:bhangap-paTTuppaTTun pAdattai nADinEn pArinil unaiyanri Or tuNai vErillEn
engE nI irukkirAi enrE nAn kadaravum ingE nAn irukkirEn enrE maraindavan
C2:aruNOdayam pOlE azhagan kuzhagan en Aruyirk-kuyirAna sUriyan pUraNan
karuNai mukham kATTik-kavalaippaDAdE enru kaNNIr tuDaikkumen kaNNAn mukkaNNan

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Hi Rajeev,
Thankyou verymuch for that awesome Todi...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena for the old gem of a lyric. I think NCV has rendered it in one of the 78RPM. Never heard it as a ragamaalikai!

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

rajeev, thank you for the u/l. never heard Thiruvizha before. he is very good.

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

links removed

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks rajeev for the full treat.
That english note was made famous in"Thillana MohanaambaaL" by MP Sethuraaman. It is by HMB was popularized by MMI.

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

Yes cmlover, agree wid u.... But this was the only time I heard it on the nadaswaram... seems different..
i was actually looking for RTP in Kalyanavasantham by TVS... do lemme know if someone can help
regards

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

No cmlover I dont have the list of ragas in the swararagamailaka but i just prepared it after listening to the peice again.
the swara ragamalika list of ragas to my limited knowledge is as follows.
Begada,AnandaBhairavi,Sahana,Ranjani,Desh,Behag,Shivaranjani,Madhuvanti,Sri,Todi

Please forgive any error.
Thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

rajeev
If you are willing to change that durbar to madhyamavati then I will be in100% agreement with you :D

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

One another great pallavi I remember is by TVS. He gave a four hour recital at Music Academy Mini Hall (2001/02). It was for SArvaNi sangIta saBa. He sang a Ragam Thanam Pallavi in kApi. The pallavi line was "SRirAma jayarAma SRungara rAma". Its one of the best pallavis I have heard. I had heard him previously during December of 2000. He didn't have much time to go about the pallavi. But the other day it was totally different. He had taken almost 45 minutes fo the RTP. He just coaxed the rAga. Another good pallavi was in mOhanam in the subsequent December season at MA. Words of the pallavi were something like "pa da saroja mula.... sa ri ga deivamu ga da". It was a pallavi with swaraksharas. That year he got a standing ovation for almost 5 minutes after his concert.

rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid »

hi cmlover,
yes you are right I ws wrong on durbar, but I heard it again... it clearly has gandharam and dhaivatham hence it should be sri..
Do lemme know if im wrong
Thanks

chithra

Post by chithra »

Hi Rajeev:

Thank you for a wonderful Nadaswaram concert. I don't know what it is about Nadaswaram, it immediately evokes in my mind the stillness of early mornings, a certain managalakaram - even as I just hear the thavil my mind goes into repose anticipating the Nadaswara Isai.

BTW, it is Sri - Thirizha J. gives at least one phrase towards the end with a dhaivatham (just before he begins his dhuritha kala swaram), and enough of the S R G............R S to make it a definite Sri. Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Chithra

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cml sir,
Here is NCVs 'varuvAnO vanakuyilE'. Is this what you referred to?
In some places, it sounds as mana kuyilE, and not vana kuyilE! And another point of note: like my grandmother, she sings 'nadarAjan' and not 'natarAjan'!
I am an NCV fan (thanks to my grandmother), and if any one has old gems from her, please share!
Ravi Shankar
http://rapidshare.de/files/2844081/03_varuvAnO.m4a.html

mravi

Post by mravi »

Has anyone rendered a RTP in Sri ? I have not heard anyone except SSI, who has sung vande vasudevam after ragam and thanam. TNS sang RTP in sama and ahiri â?? sama I think in one of his US (SIFAS) concerts and ahiri in bangalore, Can someone share these recordings if available? Any RTPs - vocalists in brindavana saranga other than TVS. There is a commercial version of TNS but with cuts â?? it is butchered in editing.

This thread was started to discuss RTPs in rare / uncommon ragas alongwith the normal ones. Not much of discussion on uncommon ragas RTPs -. hemavathi, dharmavathi, maymalavagoula, malahari, anandabhairavi, devamanohari, gowrimanohari, hamsanandi, hamsadhwani, hindolam, surutti, kapi, natabhairavi, manirangu, madyamavathi, sindubhairavi, are all ragas in which I have heard RTPs. Can others add to this list ?

I have a RTP by MDR in YK and an outstanding rendition of Dakshinamurthe after ragam and thanam by Manakkal Rangarajan. The Shankarabhranam alapana is one the best I have ever heard . Here he performs srutibedham to chenchuruti while in the upper octave. I want to upload these. I have tried doing this in rapidshare this morning but the connection was very slow. I have a normal Indian dialup connection.- Can anyone tell me which would be the fastest way to upload â?? xdrive, rapidshare, megaupload? How long does it take to upload a 30-50 MB file? Is it the same time as downloading ?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mravi
30-50 mb file will take 30-50 minutes.
best is rapidshare.
if u are in chennai , i can help you out ( cant wait to hear manakkal)

rtps
somu has rendered chandrakauns-he calls it kadaram
trs and balmurali have rendered mind boggling ones in revathi -to add to that other chartbuster by mlv
kalyanraman has rendered in shubhapanthuvarali
also in sriranjini-janaranjini-manoranjini-ranjini
and MLV hads rendered in all
Amrutavarshini.mp3
Andolika.mp3
Begada.mp3
Bhairavi.mp3
Bhavapriya.mp3
Devamanohari.mp3
Dharmavathy.mp3
Gamanasramam.mp3
Hamsanandi.mp3
Harikhamboji.mp3
Hindola.mp3
Kalyani.mp3
Keervani.mp3
Khambhoji.mp3
Kharaharapriya.mp3
Lathangi.mp3
Madhyamavathi.mp3
Mohanam.mp3
Natabhairavi.mp3
Nattakurinchi.mp3
Poorvi Kalyani.MP3
Revathi.mp3
Sankarabaranam.mp3
Saveri.mp3
Shanmukhapriya.mp3
Shubapantuvarali.mp3
Shudha Dhanyasi.mp3
Simhendra Madhyama.mp3
Sriranjani.mp3
Thodi.mp3
Vachaspathi.mp3

balmurali has rendered on air-abhogi-valaji
wonder which are the other dual raga rtps??

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

there is one balamurali RTP in sunadavinodini-bhairavi on surasa.net
the famous nattai-kurinji-nattaikurinji RTP by TNS.. i also have heard a lalitha-latangi RTP by TNS... awesome as usual

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rAjeevsid is mostly right
here is the list- tODi, bEgaDe, Anandabhairavi, SahAna, ranjani, dES, behAg, Sivaranjani, bAgESrI, Sri and then a flurry of "offnotes";-) and back to tODi.
The SrI rAga is played with a distinct flavour of nAyaki intially which is rather yncalled for. It has the nAyaki "padanI---dapa marigA---risa" which is alien to SrI in spirit although not in scale. Not a surprise that rajeevsid thought it was darbAr. In the madhyamakAla, you can hear the SrI coming to its own ghana form.

chithra

Post by chithra »

Right you are, Drs.

I recall listening to a Ranjani-Mohanam RTP by lalgudi - a commercial recording.

Chithra

abadri

Post by abadri »

mravi,

By any chance, is the Manakkal Rangarajan - Shankarabharanam track that you're referring to?

[rapidshare link deleted]

This is part of of a track that Shri Raju uploaded on his xdrive account. It's listed as an excerpt from a Music
Academy concert. (Sankarabharanam is followed by Jo Jo Rama - Reetigaula and then track ends).
Accompanists are:
V. Sethuramiah - Violin
Tanjore Upendran - Mridangam
R Gurumoorthy - Ghatam

Hopefully this is the same track - than it saves you the trouble of uploading this over a dial-up connection!

Rgds,
-Badri