Veena amplification methods - tips/options

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sunidhiarakere

Veena amplification methods - tips/options

Post by sunidhiarakere »

Good evening,

(I am new here so I am not sure what the appropriate forum to post this question would be.)

I am a student of the veena. While I usually stick to the acoustic, pure and natural sound and avoid any amplifiers as far as possible, some concerts necessitate the use of amplification and so I have been looking for alternatives to my method, which is the surface pick-up mic.
I find that with this pick-up, either the sound is very unsatisfactory or the four main strings are not amplified evenly, which results in an overall poor experience.
What in your opinion is the best method or device to use for amplification?

Manian

Re: Veena amplification methods - tips/options

Post by Manian »

This question should come after you have graduated to the level of playing a full fledged Kritis wthout error. Amplifiers attached to the Veea are not special kind . What you are asking is tone or frequency response differentiating amplification. That is, it should have separate connection one for each string like a clip on for each string. Now the market for such a device is very low and no one is going to spend money and time to produce a few hundreds. However if you can find a Master's level Electrical Engineering student from IIT or IISC., to work with you and he or she submits the result as a thesis, it can be done.

The discrete components and filters (each connection allows only those frequencies from a given string and filters out rest like the mouth which filters out every frequencies but allow only 750-920-1050 mix to be resonate and the rest be filtered out, can be constructed. You need to look at the “Physics of Music “ book and look at the string instruments. For Veena between each fret in one string about 16 different frequencies can be generated when struck at the string when the left hand finger moves over a guven bridge. This, makes the string between tipping point to the bridge on which the left finger moves to vibrate producing a given note. Some one Veena player lady (Mrs Rangachari) worked at TIFR, Mumbai on a Computer program simulating instrumental music and if you can trace her and get the program, you can attach your Veena to a laptop and play through it as though you are using a pick up mic. An article in Kalaimagal around 1969 by Rangachari appeared giving some details. I don't have the copy but you can enquire at Kalaimagal Office.

My answers are long such that you get the over all information leading to a proper search.

vainika

Re: Veena amplification methods - tips/options

Post by vainika »

Consider plugging the cable from your pick-up(s) to a mini equalizer-mixer and then taking that output to the PA system and monitor. It should be possible for you to make the necessary control adjustments to achieve the balance you need.

You can also look at a pick-up that has multiple transducers that can be stuck at various points on the veena resonator surface (enter "piezo acoustic instrument 3 transducers" in the search field of your favorite e-commerce portal and a variety of options will come up).