Kanjira Cracking

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
S.M. Vasudevan

Kanjira Cracking

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Is there any reason why my Kanjira is cracking on the sides?It is slowly cracking up to the skin area and now cannot be played.

Nick H

Re: Kanjira Cracking

Post by Nick H »

How old is it? If it is not very old, I suppose there is a chance that the wood might not have been seasoned properly which would make it more prone to crack/warp.

I once had a kanjira that cracked. I forced glue into the crack and compressed it in a large vice. I had access to some good tools at that time! It did fix it.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Nick H wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 14:32 How old is it? If it is not very old, I suppose there is a chance that the wood might not have been seasoned properly which would make it more prone to crack/warp.

I once had a kanjira that cracked. I forced glue into the crack and compressed it in a large vice. I had access to some good tools at that time! It did fix it.
Might it be because of the water you put on it to get the bass sound seeping into the wood?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

No. I never had a kanjira that needed more than wiping the skin with wet fingers.

This is all a long time ago: I have not pretended to be a music student for over 15 years now.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Nick H wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 16:47 No. I never had a kanjira that needed more than wiping the skin with wet fingers.

This is all a long time ago: I have not pretended to be a music student for over 15 years now.
haha. Thanks! Maybe it was not made properly then. I do remember that some water got on the wood part so I was wondering.