In case you missed this...

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

Sachi_R

Re: In case you missed this...

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh, love you for bringing this up... it is as good as it would EVER get for us...
I don't miss any Sriranjani treat.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

That was just for you :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Kudos to the duo for reviving it. Quite a soulful rendition it is :)

My heart races back more than sixty years when VVSadagopan tuned this for his Bharathi vizhA concert at Ettayapuram. An all Bharathi songs concert it was, of course. He tuned them all with immense zeal and joy.

Interesting addition to those who know old time musicians: In the commercial recording of this (in the late forties), VVS is accompanied by his teen sister Jayalakshmi Santhanam! Thanks to Raju Asokan, we can still listen to it :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I was reminded of Singara Velane Deva from Konjum Salangai immortalized by S.Janaki, Karikurichi & K.V.Mahadevan, not to mention Gemini & Savithri.

Though this version seemed much more co-equal.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Hello Arasi!
Great to hear your voice here.

One request. Since you are an expert on Bharathi, can you please start a thread on who tuned what Bharathi song?

This will be a very useful piece of history and evolution of CM with Bharathi songs.

arasi

Post by arasi »

sureshvv,
I was reminded of that movie moment too :) Now, wasn't it Sivaji and Padmini?

Sachi,
nimma sahrudayakke dhanyavAdagaLu.
I am afraid I'm too scatter-brained and non-scholarly to take up a challenge like that. I would of course love to read a thread of that kind. We have many songs, the same few verses tuned in different rAgAs as well--set to music by musicians and also movie music directors over the years.

By the way, I am very keen on Sriranjani's music. I barely visit the forum now, and read very little. Her name stood out the other day when I looked in, and I had to hear her :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sure Arasi. At least we should start a thread here to list Bharatiyar songs and their tunesmiths' names with audio links.