Old Videos of Carnatic Music Concerts

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
S.M. Vasudevan

Old Videos of Carnatic Music Concerts

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

I was wondering if anyone knows where there are old videos of concerts from the 1960s. Or if anyone knows who may be in possession of such recordings. I have seen the video of Kalyanakrishna Bhagavathar, Lalgudi Jayaraman, and PSP from 1960 but besides that I havent really seen anything. I know in a GNB Documentary on youtube by DD, there is a short clip of gnb with TN Rajaratnam pillai. I saw that. I would be really eager to see videos of Madurai Mani or Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar. I know none of those are on youtube, but maybe someone knows where(if they are even existent) they are. On youtube I saw Louis Malle's documentary(phantom india) from 1968 and he shows the streets of madras and other places. However, from what I can see, he didnt film any carnatic music concerts. I do hope that there are more video recordings out there.

Thank you,
Shriram

RSR

Re: Old Videos of Carnatic Music Concerts

Post by RSR »

Sir, I remember to have come across quite a few youtube videos of concerts by all the greats mentioned by you. MMI, ARI, CHEMBAI, ALATTHOOR, GNB, MUSIRI, . Perhaps, if you google for 'Carnatic music concerts by …………." , you can get them. I am sure that they are there in public domain. ( but there may be terribly distracting google advts)

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Are they all audio. I've heard the audio recordings, but was wondering if any ever took video of these legends.

RSR

Post by RSR »

at p-3
Yes, Sir. They are mostly audio only. though there is a rare clip of Chembai's concert in a film by Chowdiah.
Vaguely remembering Chembai and Jesudas video in youtube. Even the Music academy may have audio only .and not the video.
I hope that I am ( not- ?) mistaken.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am surprised that there doesn't seem to have been one or two wealthy rasikas with home cine cameras back then.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

If you're talking of 1960s, the video technology had not come down to Handycam level. One had three pick-up tube cameras bulky and needing special lights. So the video recording would have been only for some special occasion and for a short duration. Or alternatively using cine film but then it would have needed more paraphernalia.

The quality of video of MSS 1966 UN concert explains it all.

I am sure some private archives would exist of short duration films transferred to digital format.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

1960s, video as we know it did not exist. There were TV cameras. Huge things. Even outside-broadcast.

But there were home cine cameras. They were small and compact, and those that could afford it could film family events and holidays. There was a film size/format called super-8.

As I said, I am surprised that some wealthy rasika did not have such a thing back then and use it. I'm thinking of the late Chettiar gentleman* who used to sit with a small camera and who had a huge collection of videos. Might he not have carried a super-eight camera in 1960-something?

Maybe it just wasn't done then, unlike these days when anyone can hold a phone in the air. Maybe it was not feasible to film complete concerts: I have no idea what the "runtime" of a super-8 spool was.

Anyone recall this technology in India back then? Maybe it wasn't here. Unlike digital, it would have been no good buying the camera abroad and bringing it. One would have needed to buy film and get it processed locally.

*Name remembered: Narayana

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

many people owned 16mm cine cameras in India.

Witness the footage from Gandhi's movement, etc.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

This video looks to be from 60(s) or at least Grayscale not chromatic! A better vid. quality version was posted by cienu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFdbCDK1jc

Good to recall/refresh some ol' fashioned syncopation. Length of kaRNATaka sangItam is only 1/2 aksharam!

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

RSR wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 10:04 at p-3
Yes, Sir. They are mostly audio only. though there is a rare clip of Chembai's concert in a film by Chowdiah.
Vaguely remembering Chembai and Jesudas video in youtube. Even the Music academy may have audio only .and not the video.
I hope that I am ( not- ?) mistaken.
Yes Ive seen that. It was from chowdiah's film.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Nick H wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 16:05 I am surprised that there doesn't seem to have been one or two wealthy rasikas with home cine cameras back then.
Yes I was thinking some rich rasika would have taken a video back then. There is a video from 1960 of Pazhani Subramania Pillai from 1960 so I was thinking there must be some more videos. Apparently there may be more recordings in Dindukkul because people there were great fans of him.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

Nick H wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:02 1960s, video as we know it did not exist. There were TV cameras. Huge things. Even outside-broadcast.

But there were home cine cameras. They were small and compact, and those that could afford it could film family events and holidays. There was a film size/format called super-8.

As I said, I am surprised that some wealthy rasika did not have such a thing back then and use it. I'm thinking of the late Chettiar gentleman* who used to sit with a small camera and who had a huge collection of videos. Might he not have carried a super-eight camera in 1960-something?

Maybe it just wasn't done then, unlike these days when anyone can hold a phone in the air. Maybe it was not feasible to film complete concerts: I have no idea what the "runtime" of a super-8 spool was.

Anyone recall this technology in India back then? Maybe it wasn't here. Unlike digital, it would have been no good buying the camera abroad and bringing it. One would have needed to buy film and get it processed locally.

*Name remembered: Narayana
There must be videos out there. It will just take lots of searching. Maybe one day I can pursue this and hopefully find something. I can try contacting the indian films division to see if they have anything.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@S.M. Vasudevan
Sir,
Just now stumbled upon this REAL video
Alathoor, LG, Palghat Mani Iyer
May be a specimen of what you are looking for
Regards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo

RSR

Post by RSR »

@S.M. Vasudevan
https://youtu.be/C-TxqVyQ4K8
This is a live video
Smt.MS Subbulashmi

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

RSR wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 13:52 @S.M. Vasudevan
Sir,
Just now stumbled upon this REAL video
Alathoor, LG, Palghat Mani Iyer
May be a specimen of what you are looking for
Regards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo
Yes I've seen this. I've seen all of the old videos on youtube.